sprained, not broken - according to eei

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: sprained, not broken - according to eei

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:27 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i hope he's back soon because he just SOUNDS like a qb

in the same article, spaz DOESN'T sound like a head coach more like a coach that gives head

Most importantly, Rettig avoided double coverage and refused to give the ND defense a chance to create turnovers. After the game the X-ray of the left ankle of Rettig was ruled negative but was sprained.

“I’m pretty sure I was leaving the pocket and I did a spin move back and I think a defender that was trailing me just slid into my ankle. So I sprained my ankle. We’ll know more tomorrow,” said Rettig as he described his injury.

The decision will have to be made if Rettig will be able to return in the future or if the BC coaching staff will seek a medical redshirt for the freshman quarterback

What was his injury deal in high school? Is he injury prone?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Boston Domer on Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:34 am

If I were a BC fan, I'd hope they shut down Rettig for the season. He is still eligible for a medical hardship redshirt.
Boston Domer
Carney Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:06 am

I may not watch another game is Rettig isnt starting. (ok I will but I wont be happy about it)
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:26 am

Boston Domer {l Wrote}:If I were a BC fan, I'd hope they shut down Rettig for the season. He is still eligible for a medical hardship redshirt.

They're actually pretty tough on those. I don't think a sprain gets him a year.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:31 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Boston Domer {l Wrote}:If I were a BC fan, I'd hope they shut down Rettig for the season. He is still eligible for a medical hardship redshirt.

It doesnt, it would have to be a break and he would have to be unable to return until next year, not just keeping himself out.

I look forward to Rettig throwing to Larmond and Phillipes next year.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:46 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i hope he's back soon because he just SOUNDS like a qb

in the same article, spaz DOESN'T sound like a head coach

Is it this innovative thinking?

There are certain things that we have to be able to do. We have to be able to run the ball,” said Spaziani. “We left a lot of plays out there. We dropped a few passes that would have helped. We can’t go back and keep throwing the ball all over the place.”

Sounds to me like he just told the rest of the schedule to keep putting 9 in the box: we're not going to try to loosen up the lanes for Montel by going through the air. Great.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Harry Seaward on Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:34 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

It doesnt, it would have to be a break and he would have to be unable to return until next year, not just keeping himself out.

Doesn't that kind of exonerate Tom O'Brien with respects to the Ryan Glasper situation?
Harry Seaward
Carney Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:37 am

Harry Seaward {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Doesn't that kind of exonerate Tom O'Brien with respects to the Ryan Glasper situation?

I see your point but supposedly Glasper was still gimpy enough to sit out if he wanted, and hadnt taked a single snap all year.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Harry Seaward on Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:45 am

I was going to ask how much the NCAA trusts the judgment of the team's medical staff when evaluating medical redshirts. Could TOB have just kept Glasper's news on the down-low and got him a medical redshirt? Could BC just pretend that Rettig's got a broken ankle instead of a sprain and shut him down for the season?

But then I realize that if BC needs wins against Duke, UVA and/or Syracuse to become bowl eligible, Spaz would MUCH rather play Rettig this season than see someone else coach Rettig at BC in 2014.
Harry Seaward
Carney Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:45 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:..., and hadnt taked a single snap all year.

that's the difference. as soon as chase made that first hand-off for no gain, he lost a year of eligibility.

glasper still had year 5 to play 4. tobias said "no thank you"

edit - in other words... they had "declared" glasper was a red shirt and then undeclared it.

So it wasnt a medical redshirt, just a plan redshirt, which is what damns TOB, thanks TRE, I knew I was missing something.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:48 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

This is this 5th week of the season and the our 4th game. The fact that he was a coaches decision DNP the first 3 games is of no consequence. Would a 4 game starter be eligible for a medical? Don't know what the rules are in the 12-game schedule world.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:57 am

Harry Seaward {l Wrote}:I was going to ask how much the NCAA trusts the judgment of the team's medical staff when evaluating medical redshirts. Could TOB have just kept Glasper's news on the down-low and got him a medical redshirt? Could BC just pretend that Rettig's got a broken ankle instead of a sprain and shut him down for the season?

But then I realize that if BC needs wins against Duke, UVA and/or Syracuse to become bowl eligible, Spaz would MUCH rather play Rettig this season than see someone else coach Rettig at BC in 2014.

Glasper was not going to have a medical redshirt. He had played his Frosh-junior years and would've sat a year as a "redshirt year" before returning for his senior year. Just like Herzy last year. You only apply for a medical redshirt if all of your eligibility is used up (5 years) and think you can claim hardship for an extra year. The most recent example I can think of is Ben Mauck at Cincy. He played out his eligibility and then petitioned for a 6th because he missed a season or a chunk due to an injury. He was denied.

Should Chase sit out the remainder of the year, he wouldn't apply for a medical until after his senior year when all his eligibility was up. That's what Agbai did after breaking his neck his sr. season.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium