Win=Good, but...

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Win=Good, but...

Postby WarEagle on Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:15 pm

There were too many factors in that win that made me upset. Need to be more agressive on both sides of the ball.

Positives: Shinksie Pass timing, kickoffs, punting, resurgence of JoshHaden (TM)

Negatives: Coaching, clock management, pass rush
WarEagle
Carney Hall

Re: Win=Good, but...

Postby b0mberMan on Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:18 pm

Going into clock killing mode with 7:30 left was despicible.

Shinskie looked better than he has all year. He checked down and went to 2nd and 3rd option when needed. Throws a good ball. He still needs to get the ball out quicker in some situations. The times we threw to the WR in the flat, for instance, by the time he got it there, the entire D knew where to go.

I like the Tuggle option/wildcat package. I don't like bringing it out in the red zone at the beginning of the game when Shinskie/Harris and the O are moving the ball downfield with ease. Save it for when needed.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:25 pm

So those Spaz and TOBY parallels...
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby bcfan85 on Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:25 pm

:toby :toby :toby :toby :toby :toby :toby
bcfan85
Carney Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:26 pm

I think the Pass D and run blocking still need to improve a lot as well. Spaz is Toby 2. He learned nothing from Jags and Logan about being aggressive and taking it to the other team. Up 24-10 with 5 minutes left, we should never have to fight our way to a W through OT in that situation.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:26 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:So those Spaz and TOBY parallels...

Are more apparent than ever. We did all we could to give this game away. I'm not even mad at HOMOjs's pinhead-esque 'we lost before we lost' thread, because I said the same thing myself.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:45 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Are more apparent than ever. We did all we could to give this game away. I'm not even mad at HOMOjs's pinhead-esque 'we lost before we lost' thread, because I said the same thing myself.

Seriously. My friend and I had pretty much resigned ourselves to loss before OT started and probably halfway through that final drive. The last time I felt like that was during the '03 ALCS (I was too young and naive when the NC State game happened my frosh year). I couldn't even cheer during OT. Christ, the front 4 wasn't getting any push during the second-to-last drive nor the first half of the last drive. So let's keep on rushing four. For one of the few times, I agree with 74...BLITZ!!!! What a fucking way to spend a senior year football season. Matty Ice for two years, dominant defense for one and, once again, incompetent coaching to bring everything full circle.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:13 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Seriously. My friend and I had pretty much resigned ourselves to loss before OT started and probably halfway through that final drive. The last time I felt like that was during the '03 ALCS (I was too young and naive when the NC State game happened my frosh year). I couldn't even cheer during OT. Christ, the front 4 wasn't getting any push during the second-to-last drive nor the first half of the last drive. So let's keep on rushing four. For one of the few times, I agree with 74...BLITZ!!!! What a fucking way to spend a senior year football season. Matty Ice for two years, dominant defense for one and, once again, incompetent coaching to bring everything full circle.

My god.... You only experienced one year of TOB. I'm jealous. The world must look brighter to you.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby talon on Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:14 pm

This game feels more like a "NOT LOSS" than a "WIN."
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:16 pm

talon {l Wrote}:This game feels more like a "NOT LOSS" than a "WIN."

amen
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby BostonSluggo on Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:46 pm

WarEagle {l Wrote}:There were too many factors in that win that made me upset. Need to be more agressive on both sides of the ball.

Positives: Shinksie Pass timing, kickoffs, punting, resurgence of JoshHaden (TM)

Negatives: Coaching, clock management, pass rush

I agree with all of this; I'm in rah wah mode....

:toby
BostonSluggo
n00b

Postby holycross87 on Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:52 pm

Jesus...you guys are a bunch of bitches...even after a win, your tampons are bloody.
holycross87
Carney Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:12 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

My god.... You only experienced one year of TOB. I'm jealous. The world must look brighter to you.

Yeah I've been spoiled but still...I've heard enough horror stories to be affected by TOBY-like actions.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:51 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

although i feel for you, i must admit i had a year of dan henning and three years of :tob.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:54 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Going into clock killing mode with 7:30 left was despicible.

Shinskie looked better than he has all year. He checked down and went to 2nd and 3rd option when needed. Throws a good ball. He still needs to get the ball out quicker in some situations. The times we threw to the WR in the flat, for instance, by the time he got it there, the entire D knew where to go.

I like the Tuggle option/wildcat package. I don't like bringing it out in the red zone at the beginning of the game when Shinskie/Harris and the O are moving the ball downfield with ease. Save it for when needed.

Shinskie needs to work on stepping up in the pocket and stepping into the throw when blitzed. otherwise, i thought he looked good. he still needs work but if i was running the offense I would name him the starter and then a run a few Wildcat packages with Tuggle.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:56 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Going into clock killing mode with 7:30 left was despicible.

Shinskie needs to work on stepping up in the pocket and stepping into the throw when blitzed. otherwise, i thought he looked good. he still needs work but if i was running the offense I would name him the starter and then a run a few Wildcat packages with Tuggle.

I agree. I'd like to see some continuity on the O and this would do it. I expect Shinskie to look worse against faster defenses who blitz more (next week and VT, notably). But keep saying "he's a freshman he's a freshman he's a freshman." Honestly, the fact that he improved to the level he played at yesterday is encouraging as far as his learning curve.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium