Chlebek questions for the oldtimers

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Chlebek questions for the oldtimers

Postby Logitano on Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:52 pm

angryty {l Wrote}:True, but Mater Dei sucks. Also Saint Bonnies would kill Mater Dei as well. There are also a bunch of North Cali schools that would dick stomp Mater Dei, specifically Sacramento Grant and St. Franny's.

As for your comments about Zona football, you might be able to make such an unequivocal statement about Brophy, but I think the Everetts and Brocktons of the world could hang with Amphi and the two Catholic schools in Tucson.

Mater Dei has turned out more Heisman Trophy winners over the last 20 years then every school you chumps have talked about combined! :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:05 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
angryty {l Wrote}:True, but Mater Dei sucks. Also Saint Bonnies would kill Mater Dei as well. There are also a bunch of North Cali schools that would dick stomp Mater Dei, specifically Sacramento Grant and St. Franny's.

As for your comments about Zona football, you might be able to make such an unequivocal statement about Brophy, but I think the Everetts and Brocktons of the world could hang with Amphi and the two Catholic schools in Tucson.

Mater Dei has turned out more Heisman Trophy winners over the last 20 years then every school you chumps have talked about combined! :ace

Hey, I said Mater Dei was great. It was the Angry One who disagreed leading to discussions of other Fball powers. Who else from Mater Dei got the Heisman besides Leinert?
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Logitano on Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:48 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

Hey, I said Mater Dei was great. It was the Angry One who disagreed leading to discussions of other Fball powers. Who else from Mater Dei got the Heisman besides Leinert?

Just Leinie but I can not think of a heisman winner from any of those other schools. Also, Mater Dei has only played one of the schools that apparently it gets beat by every year once in the last 6. Suck on that knowledge 1981Eagle! :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:23 am

Logitano {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:

Just Leinie but I can not think of a heisman winner from any of those other schools. Also, Mater Dei has only played one of the schools that apparently it gets beat by every year once in the last 6. Suck on that knowledge 1981Eagle! :ace

You are too funny. If you read the posts above, I think MD is great and defend it against AT's attacks. How did this get turned around that I am down on MD now?
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Ohioeagle on Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:55 am

Point of clarification. The 1980 team went 7-4. Fall of 79 was my sophmore year. As I remember, BC lost to Tennesee the first week playing reasonably well but beat Villanova at home the following week to break the losing streak. I remember that game because the part of one of the goal posts was hauled to Upper Campus. None of our collective genius involved however, could figure out a way to get it into one of the dorms. Without looking it up, I think that 79 team went 5-6, but that should be easy to check. I also remember going to a game in 79 during a monsoon, when Tulane came in and whacked BC. So, Ed went 5-6, I think, and 7-4 his last two years. I remember one of my friends who was on the team telling me after the Stanford game that they would be 7-4 that year and he proved to be right. Looking back, I got the sense culturally Ed was not a good fit. I think he eventually coached in the CFL.
Ohioeagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:03 am

The 2007 Everett team would have been able to hang with all but the top teams in the country. Led by BC's own Isaac Johnson and Jimmy Noel, they had a killer secondary (completely shut down Josh Adams, for example) and their ground attack was deadly. Max Preps ended them up ranked 25th.

1. Concord (CA) De La Salle (13-0)
2. Cincinnati (OH) St. Xavier (15-0)
3. Don Bosco Prep (NJ) (12-0)
4. Pittsburgh (PA) Central Catholic (16-0)
5. Jeannette (PA) (16-0)
6. Katy (TX) (16-0)
7. Miami (FL) Northwestern (15-0)
8. Prattville (AL) (15-0)
9. Chantilly (VA) Westfield (15-0)
10. Sammamish (WA) Skyline (14-0)
11. Eden Prairie (MN) (14-0)
12. Corona (CA) Centennial (13-2)
13. Long Beach (CA) Poly (13-1)
14. Amherst County (VA) (14-0)
15. Euless (TX) Trinity (15-1)
16. Louisville (KY) Trinity (13-2)
17. Joliet (IL) Catholic (13-1)
18. Destrehan (LA) (15-0)
19. Prosser (WA) (14-0)
20. Birmingham (CA) Lake Balboa (13-1)
21. Fort Thomas (KY) Highlands (15-0)
22. Montgomery Bell Academy (TN) (13-0)
23. Naperville (IL) North (13-1)
24. Miami (FL) Northwestern (15-0)
25. Everett (MA) (13-0)
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 1981Eagle on Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:28 am

True 2bg9. Every 5-10 years there is a New England team that makes the top 25. But, the the top of HS football is generally concentrated among the DLasalle's, LB Poly, Miami NW, Jenks AL and about a 20 others.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Ohioeagle on Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:34 am

Note, 3 Cincinnati St. X guys starting on BC and 1 Cleveland St. Ignatius guy too.
Ohioeagle
Carney Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:48 am

I know it's been said 11ty billion times but I don't understand why BC does not focus nationally on the catholic high schools. They are an amazing source of talent--Xavier, Ignatious, Don Bosco, Mater Dei etc etc etc. There must be 100 catholic hs around the US that produce, on average 1-3 D1 players each year. If they want to play at a D1 catholic school then their choices are BC and ND. For example, Brophy in Zona. I know most of the kids on the team and they would kill for a scholly from BC and at least 5 of them will get multiple D1 offers but BC is nowhere to be found. Astounding. F the geograpghy crap Spaz about the Atlantic Ocean. We have an advantage at these catholic schools and we are not exploiting it. BC sends a Jesuit to each of these schools each year to promote BC. It's how I got to know many of the admin. through the Brophy connection. Why not send a coach along on the trip and establish a relationship with these coaches and kids? Spaz, think outside the box. If Rutgers can get kids to come up to NJ from Florida then our coaches out to be able to exploit the catholic advantage.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:47 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:wait - are you from fake la or arizona?

do you and innocent retardo get together for games and split a deuce deuce?

I have homes in Pacific Palisades, CA and Scottsdale, AZ. So, no fake.

I'm up in LA a lot sitting on BOD's, consulting etc. Family is in AZ except for summer when the heat is unbearable.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:50 am

Do you have a porsche, a hot blond girlfriend, and a corner office in Boise?
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:54 am

Yes to the first two. The Basque's stormed my office after the Smurf Bowl so I had to close it. :P :P :P
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HammarMA on Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:15 pm

[quote="campion"]Chlebek came to BC because Mr Flynn was desparate to have BC hit the next level before he retired. They pushed Yukica out because, like TOB, they thought he had a ceiling, and he thought regionally rather than nationally. Chlebek was MAC coach of the yearin 1977 at E Michigan, and he was, like Dan Devine, a good Catholic boy. He sold Mr. Flynn on the idea that he could make BC a national power. After that first year (0-11) Mr. Flynn fired him but Fred Smerlas and the other leaders on the tem met with Mr Flynn and Fr Monan and talked them out of it. Flynn said that listening to Smerlas was the worst thing he had ever done. The next year was mediocre as well. It looked like Chlebek might turn it around in 80 when he beat Stanford and Elway at Alumni, but they went on to stink it up against Navy and Villanova and then got blasted at Florida State by about 40. They then ran the table, but it was against Temple, UMass, Holy Cross-- not exactly the Iron of the East. Chlebek left of his own accord, going to Kent State, with Flynn's encouragement, but I don't think he was fired.[/quote

I remember the Stanford game -- only time I remember the band getting flagged for delay of the game due to long halftime show
HammarMA
n00b

Postby HammarMA on Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:16 pm

[quote="campion"]Chlebek came to BC because Mr Flynn was desparate to have BC hit the next level before he retired. They pushed Yukica out because, like TOB, they thought he had a ceiling, and he thought regionally rather than nationally. Chlebek was MAC coach of the yearin 1977 at E Michigan, and he was, like Dan Devine, a good Catholic boy. He sold Mr. Flynn on the idea that he could make BC a national power. After that first year (0-11) Mr. Flynn fired him but Fred Smerlas and the other leaders on the tem met with Mr Flynn and Fr Monan and talked them out of it. Flynn said that listening to Smerlas was the worst thing he had ever done. The next year was mediocre as well. It looked like Chlebek might turn it around in 80 when he beat Stanford and Elway at Alumni, but they went on to stink it up against Navy and Villanova and then got blasted at Florida State by about 40. They then ran the table, but it was against Temple, UMass, Holy Cross-- not exactly the Iron of the East. Chlebek left of his own accord, going to Kent State, with Flynn's encouragement, but I don't think he was fired.[/quote

I remember the Stanford game -- only time I remember the band getting flagged for delay of the game due to long halftime show
HammarMA
n00b

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium