Chlebek questions for the oldtimers

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Chlebek questions for the oldtimers

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:20 am

How did we end up with him?
Would 78 have been a terrible year regardless of the coach?
Why did it end when he seemed to turn the corner with e 7-4 season?
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Re: Chlebek questions for the oldtimers

Postby Saveagle on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:25 am

He promised we could be like Notre Dame. Seriously. That's what got him hired. 78 would have been average without him, certainly not the clusterfuck of 0-11. He tried to install the veer without the proper personnel and it failed miserably, but perversely the failure was fun to watch. It was a total disaster. I think he left becuase he realized he was in over his head and he wanted to retreat to the MAC or whatever it was called then. Good times losing to Holy Cross and Temple.
Saveagle
Carney Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:36 am

That explanation is very accurate. Plus, his game-management skills make Jack Bick Sr. look like Tom Coughlin.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:37 am

Methinks that Blog Boy is looking at who the current holder of the "BC coaching FAIL" title and what Spaz has to do to steal it.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:37 am

Ouch. I smell ATL writing a Spaz/Chlebek comparison column.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby h2o on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:46 am

I believe he recruited the immortal Shelby Gamble.
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby holycross87 on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:21 am

Speaking as a Holy Cross alumnus, I feel it's high time to bring back Coach Chlebek.
holycross87
Carney Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:23 am

Blogboy researching a Spaz vs Chlebek column. This is encouraging.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:24 am

holycross87 {l Wrote}:Speaking as a Holy Cross alumnus, I feel it's high time to bring back Coach Chlebek.

Is this 1981Eagle, or some unfunny imitator?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Prof. Andrew Buni on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:41 am

For a sense of the Chlebek era, check out Reid Oslin's book. I believe the title is "Tales from the BC Sideline".

Not exactly an expose', as Reid was a loyal company guy to an extent, but he is fairly objective re: Chlebek being over his head, as I recall.
Prof. Andrew Buni
n00b

Postby hansen on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:55 am

campion {l Wrote}:My favorite Chlebek story-- when Temple beat BC in the Mirage Bowl in Tokyo to seal the 0 and 11 year in 78, the game was played at around midnight- 3:00 AM Boston time, meaning it ended on Sunday morning. That Sunday night, the lines were lit up on Eddie Andelman's Sports Huddle to slam Chlebek and BC. Andelman called Chlebek's home and his wife said they didn't come right home-- they were still in Japan. She joked that when he got home she needed bread and milk. So Andelman made a call to the hotel where BC was staying (it was now after midnight Tokyo time) asking to speak to the American football coach, Chlebek. No one at the desk spoke English, and neither Eddie, Mark, or Jim had any Japanese, so they just kept shouting at each other louder and louder over the phone. Finally, someone figured out what Andelmen wanted, but for some reason, instead of transferring the call to Chlebek's room the dragged him out of bed to the front desk in his pajamas. Chlebek sleepily and confusedly said "Hello?" and Andelman said "This is Eddie Andelman, Jim McCarthy, and Mark Witkin from the Sunday night Sports Huddle. I just wanted to let you know that your wife wants you to pick up a loaf of bread and a half gallon of milk on the way home."

Chlebek never "got" Boston. He didn't think that Mr Flynn or Mr Carroll could be trusted, he thought that Barry Gallup was their spy, and he thought that the alumni and the press were out to get him. He was a typical midwestern naive hick.

how did BC get to a bowl game if they were 0-10?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:00 am

Wasn't 81 looking for nude photos of Chlebek on EI?
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby shockdoct on Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:01 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
holycross87 {l Wrote}:Speaking as a Holy Cross alumnus, I feel it's high time to bring back Coach Chlebek.

Unless 81Eagle is a super hacker..not the same.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:59 pm

campion {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

In another thread I suggested that 81 contribute something to this thread. I guess this is his contribution. He claims to have been some sort of locker room laundry collector or waterboy under Chlebek, you know.

HC is not me. I was a Fball manager for that 0-11 season AND because I was the junior manager on the staff being only a sophomore, I didn't even get to go to the Mirage Bowl in Tokyo. Not only was Chlebek a bad coach but he was a major Ahole to boot. The players were good guys. In particular Jay Palazola was a very funny guy. Does anyone remember the Pep rally before the first home game? It was held in front of Gasson at about 8pm the night before the game. It was widely advertised and the BC band made a run through all the Upper Campus dorms playing "For Boston". Alas, only about 50 fans turned up at Gasson. There were more players, coaches, band and cheerleaders by a factor or 5. Sad. I think there are more avid fans among the BC students today. Back then, it was pathetic. Some/Many/Most (for Talon) students did not even know when we had home football games as late as an hour before the game. Then, they would only go if there was nothing better--like studying--to do. Disgustiad.
Last edited by 1981Eagle on Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:03 pm

Cheblek rhymed with Trebek, that was it.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:05 pm

campion {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

In another thread I suggested that 81 contribute something to this thread. I guess this is his contribution. He claims to have been some sort of locker room laundry collector or waterboy under Chlebek, you know.

HC is not me. I was a Fball manager for that 0-11 season AND because I was the junior manager on the staff being only a sophomore, I didn't even get to go to the Mirage Bowl in Tokyo. Not only was Chlebek a bad coach but he was a major Ahole to boot. The players were good guys. In particyular Jay Palazola was a very funny guy. Does anyone remember the Pep rally before the first home game? It was held in front of Gasson at about 8pm the night before the game. It was widely advertised and the BC band made a run through all the Upper Campus dorms playing "For Boston". Alas, only about 50 fans turned up at Gasson. There were more players, coaches, band and cheerleaders by a factor or 5. Sad. I think there are more avid fans among the BC students today. Back then, it was pathetic. Some/Many/Most (for Talon) students did not even know when we had home football games as late as an hour before the game. Then, they would only go if there was nothing better--like studying--to do. Disgustiad.

Can you scan a team picture with you in it and post it here? That would be cool.

Don't have one. Besides, only the Senior Manager was in the photo. Low-level plebes like me weren't in it. Not enough room. Barry Gallup is one nice guy. Talk about a fanatic. This guy bleeds BC. One of my jobs was to take care the opposing team accomodations etc. over at the old Hojo's over the Mass Pike. Is it still there? Next spring, I will be taking my son to BC. It will be my first time on campus since 1986. Looking forward to it. EDIT: After leaving BC, Chlebek was fired after his second year at Kent St, another 0-11 disaster. Ed Effin Chlebek, what a disaster. :spaz3 :spaz3 :spaz3
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:24 pm

I heard during the ND Michigan game that Gallup's son is now playing for ND. Is that true?
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby holycross87 on Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:29 pm

HC absolutely stole the game in '78. BC had something like 400 total yards to HC's 180, yet still found a way to lose.

HC almost beat Chlebek in '79 too...very close 13-10 BC win at Fitton.
holycross87
Carney Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:28 pm

holycross87 {l Wrote}:HC absolutely stole the game in '78. BC had something like 400 total yards to HC's 180, yet still found a way to lose.

I remember the HC game well. Pete Columbo from Brockton played QB for HC. I think he is now head Fball coach at Brockton following his legendary Dad, Armond.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby dixieagle on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:48 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
holycross87 {l Wrote}:HC absolutely stole the game in '78. BC had something like 400 total yards to HC's 180, yet still found a way to lose.

I remember the HC game well. Pete Columbo from Brockton played QB for HC. I think he is now head Fball coach at Brockton following his legendary Dad, Armond.

I also remember that loss to HC, and Pete Colombo. His father was our coach at Archbishop Williams H.S., pre-Brockton (we were nowhere near as good.) If I recall correctly, Armand Colombo's brother-in-law was the heavyweight champ Rocky Marciano (really dating myself there...)
dixieagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:57 pm

dixieagle {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:

I also remember that loss to HC, and Pete Colombo. His father was our coach at Archbishop Williams H.S., pre-Brockton (we were nowhere near as good.) If I recall correctly, Armand Colombo's brother-in-law was the heavyweight champ Rocky Marciano (really dating myself there...)

True. The Brockton Stadium is named Marciano Stadium. Al Davis is from Brockton as is Marvelous Marvin Hagler. Great sports tradition there in Brockton.
We scrimmmaged them in HS and got drilled. They were dominant. I heard that Everett and Xaverian Brothers are now dominant.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby WilpertsRevenge on Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:51 am

Brockton-Xaverian tonight

Go Boxers
WilpertsRevenge
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:24 am

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
dixieagle {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:

True. The Brockton Stadium is named Marciano Stadium. Al Davis is from Brockton as is Marvelous Marvin Hagler. Great sports tradition there in Brockton.
We scrimmmaged them in HS and got drilled. They were dominant. I heard that Everett and Xaverian Brothers are now dominant.

Everett has been dominant, but they are down this year. For a while, Everett was a national player. Brockton seems to be back this year.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 1981Eagle on Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:34 pm

In truth, having grown up in Boston area, I didn't know how crappy HS football is in NE. The Tgiving rivalries are great but there are 40 teams between CA and AZ where I have homes that would crush any team from New England. These HS teams two-platoon, have OC,DC,Special Teams and position coaches on and on and on. The small college teams like a Bentley or Assumption would probably get beat by most of the Top HS teams in CA and AZ. Mater Dei, school of Matt Barkely and Matt Leinert, plays their games at Angels Stadium and attract 10-20K fans plus being a catholic school, they recruit from all of SC even though recruiting is not allowed. Have we EVER had one player out of Mater Dei? They send 6-8 players a year to D1 football schools and I can't recall BC ever having a player from MD even though we should since we can play the catholic card.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Eagledom on Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:41 pm

[quote="Saveagle"]He promised we could be like Notre Dame. Seriously. That's what got him hired. 78 would have been average without him, certainly not the clusterfuck of 0-11. He tried to install the veer without the proper personnel and it failed miserably, but perversely the failure was fun to watch.quote]

The veer....even Marshall won a game with that offense the year after almost their entire team was killed.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby quillisswill on Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:50 pm

Chlebek also got the job because he really impressed the Captains, who were somehow allowed to be part of the interviewing process. Apparently they liked the way he looked them straight in the eye, and convinced them they were going to win. In retrospect, he was the classic con man - someone who gave great interview, but really wasn't good at much other than getting the job.
quillisswill
n00b

Postby angryty on Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:12 pm

Mater Dei sucks. I'll take Westlake Christian, Long Beach Poly, Notre Dame Sherman Oaks or De Lasalle routinely stomp on Mater Dei.
angryty
McGuinn Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:23 pm

angryty {l Wrote}:Mater Dei sucks. I'll take Westlake Christian, Long Beach Poly, Notre Dame Sherman Oaks or De Lasalle routinely stomp on Mater Dei.

That's a little extreme but then again, it's AngryTy. All of those teams are generally at the top of CA football including Mater Dei. The point is that any of those CA teams would beat the best New England HS team by at LEAST four touchdowns.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby angryty on Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:28 pm

True, but Mater Dei sucks. Also Saint Bonnies would kill Mater Dei as well. There are also a bunch of North Cali schools that would dick stomp Mater Dei, specifically Sacramento Grant and St. Franny's.

As for your comments about Zona football, you might be able to make such an unequivocal statement about Brophy, but I think the Everetts and Brocktons of the world could hang with Amphi and the two Catholic schools in Tucson.
angryty
McGuinn Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:32 pm

angryty {l Wrote}:True, but Mater Dei sucks. Also Saint Bonnies would kill Mater Dei as well. There are also a bunch of North Cali schools that would dick stomp Mater Dei, specifically Sacramento Grant and St. Franny's.

As for your comments about Zona football, you might be able to make such an unequivocal statement about Brophy, but I think the Everetts and Brocktons of the world could hang with Amphi and the two Catholic schools in Tucson.

My son goes to Brophy. They are usually among the best in AZ along with Hamilton Chandler, Desert Vista, Mesa Mountain View and Tucson Saguaro. Centennial is the power this year. Brophy lost a close one to them last week. Tonight, on ESPN2, Lakeland Florida is playing Concord, CA De LaSalle. It should be a better game than Missouri-Nevada on ESPN.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium