Sonny McClain's--Santa Monica

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Sonny McClain's--Santa Monica

Postby 1981Eagle on Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:39 pm

Does anyone else plan to head there to watch the Wake game? You can meet 81 Eagle, the Porsche, his Gasson certificate and maybe even the 25yr old. Even BUC is invited. If he shows up at least we know he really lives in LA rather than fake LA.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Re: Sonny McClain's--Santa Monica

Postby bcesq on Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:53 pm

The BC alumni in LA need a new spot to meet for games. Sonnys never seems paritcularly thrilled about having us there (they'd bump the BC game for any regular season Sox game, regardless of how meaningless the Sox game). Moreover, the place smells awful and is like a dark cave. BC alumni in LA need and deserve better.
bcesq
n00b

Postby 1981Eagle on Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:59 pm

bcesq {l Wrote}:The BC alumni in LA need a new spot to meet for games. Sonnys never seems paritcularly thrilled about having us there (they'd bump the BC game for any regular season Sox game, regardless of how meaningless the Sox game). Moreover, the place smells awful and is like a dark cave. BC alumni in LA need and deserve better.

I'm open to suggestions as long as there is parking which pretty much eliminates the South Bay. I can never find parking in Manhatten, Hermosa or Redondo. There are a zillion TV's in Sonny's. Surely, they can dedicate one or two to BC even if the Sox are on. The smelly part reminds me of Callahan's at Fan. Hall back in the day.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Logitano on Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:03 pm

bcesq {l Wrote}:The BC alumni in LA need a new spot to meet for games. Sonnys never seems paritcularly thrilled about having us there (they'd bump the BC game for any regular season Sox game, regardless of how meaningless the Sox game). Moreover, the place smells awful and is like a dark cave. BC alumni in LA need and deserve better.

Was there last spring for the ACC tournie against Duke and I was shocked how many people were leaving the bar after watching a redsox spring training game and got the feeling that if the spring training game had been later they would not have wanted to put on our game. I like the dark cave but still hate spaz and all boston pro teams. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby bcesq on Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:17 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:

I'm open to suggestions as long as there is parking which pretty much eliminates the South Bay. I can never find parking in Manhatten, Hermosa or Redondo. There are a zillion TV's in Sonny's. Surely, they can dedicate one or two to BC even if the Sox are on. The smelly part reminds me of Callahan's at Fan. Hall back in the day.

I live on the westside so the location is fine, it's just the bar itself that blows. There are a # of places that I can think of off the top of my head that would be better (The Parlor, Barney's Beanery, Q's, etc.). Personally, I almost never go to these Sonny's game watches anymore - when your friends/classmates in the area are all at the age (early-mid 30s) where they have little kids and demanding jobs, it's tough enough getting them together to watch a game, but once you say you're thinking about Sonny's, you automatically get the response that it's a dump and they'd rather not go. Not to act like a snob, but the place just straight up sucks. I don't know why the LA alumni organizers continue to push this place.
bcesq
n00b

Postby angryty on Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:31 pm

Sonny's should be burned to the ground. Bunch of Santa Monica 74 donkies.
angryty
McGuinn Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:11 pm

bcesq {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:

I live on the westside so the location is fine, it's just the bar itself that blows. There are a # of places that I can think of off the top of my head that would be better (The Parlor, Barney's Beanery, Q's, etc.). Personally, I almost never go to these Sonny's game watches anymore - when your friends/classmates in the area are all at the age (early-mid 30s) where they have little kids and demanding jobs, it's tough enough getting them together to watch a game, but once you say you're thinking about Sonny's, you automatically get the response that it's a dump and they'd rather not go. Not to act like a snob, but the place just straight up sucks. I don't know why the LA alumni organizers continue to push this place.

what's a boston equivalent...? just trying to picture it.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:18 pm

bcesq {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:

The Parlour is great. Great babe watching too. The only issue is that if there is a USC/UCLA or Dodgers game on then we will have trouble getting one of the the fifty tv's in the place. At Sonny's, you generally have a majority of Boston sports fans and it's understood that Boston sports get the tube before any USC or UCLA or Dodger game. That being said, the Wake game is at 11PST so we won't run into any LA sports on TV to compete with. But, there could be some B10, SEC or B12 fans that we have to compete with. I haven't been to Barney's Beanery lately. I will go where the majority want to go as long as it's on the Westside. What's the consensus?
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby buconvict on Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:37 am

Echo to Angry Ty's comments. Sonny's sucks.

Additionally 81, I moved back to Boston in March. Thanks for the invite though, I'd totally go if I could.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:46 am

I watched the OSU-LSU championship game there a few years back. It was OK, pretty good food/decent prices from what I remember, but obviously never heard anything good about watching BC games there.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:50 am

Well, one of my good friends knows the owner of The Parlour. If we want to meet there then I could have him give the owner a call and make sure we get a tv or two reserved for the BC-game. Not quite as strong as my Leahy conncetion but could be helpful.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:53 am

buconvict {l Wrote}:Echo to Angry Ty's comments. Sonny's sucks.

Additionally 81, I moved back to Boston in March. Thanks for the invite though, I'd totally go if I could.

My bet is you never left Boston and were tired of staying up late to post like you were on PST. This was your chance to prove you weren't in fake LA. Test=Failed.
Do you have another reliable source from this board to prove you actually were in LA? Did anyone on this board actually meet BUC while he was in "LA"?
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby buconvict on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:36 am

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:

My bet is you never left Boston and were tired of staying up late to post like you were on PST. This was your chance to prove you weren't in fake LA. Test=Failed.
Do you have another reliable source from this board to prove you actually were in LA? Did anyone on this board actually meet BUC while he was in "LA"?

BCNathanHale? Is that you?

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:40 pm

buconvict {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:

Just like I thought. No one verifies you were ever in LA. :whammy :whammy :whammy
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby mod17b on Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:23 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:Well, one of my good friends knows the owner of The Parlour. If we want to meet there then I could have him give the owner a call and make sure we get a tv or two reserved for the BC-game. Not quite as strong as my Leahy conncetion but could be helpful.

You do realize it's on espn360 this weekend, right? Not an impossible hurdle, but someone would have to bring a laptop and load the game on there and then link it to the tv. I don't ever recall a Los Angeles gamewatch for a 360 game before.
mod17b
n00b

Postby angrychicken on Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:55 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:

Just like I thought. No one verifies you were ever in LA. :whammy :whammy :whammy

through moderator rocketcar actions, i heard a rumor that wang guaranteed that he resided in la temporarily. i cannot confirm or deny these actions

You are such an ass. I never did this. However, I have been to Sonny McClain's. It's a shithole.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:26 pm

mod17b {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:Well, one of my good friends knows the owner of The Parlour. If we want to meet there then I could have him give the owner a call and make sure we get a tv or two reserved for the BC-game. Not quite as strong as my Leahy conncetion but could be helpful.

You do realize it's on espn360 this weekend, right? Not an impossible hurdle, but someone would have to bring a laptop and load the game on there and then link it to the tv. I don't ever recall a Los Angeles gamewatch for a 360 game before.

Whoa, thanks. I din't know it was on 360. Forget it.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:53 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
buconvict {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:

through moderator rocketcar actions, i heard a rumor that wang guaranteed that he resided in la temporarily. i cannot confirm or deny these actions

You are such an ass. I never did this. However, I have been to Sonny McClain's. It's a shithole.

It may have been center hash. I don't remember

Oh don't go spreading rumors. BUC was in LA and back before we came over here so none of us would've had access that info.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby buconvict on Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:24 pm

Forgive me for not caring enough about all my anonymous interweb friends to somehow prove I lived in LA. I'm really sorry.

You caught me 81. I used to stay up super late so I could post at 4am eastern time so that I would appear to be cooler than I actually am by virtue of posters believing I'd taken up residence in Los Angeles.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium