Herzlich's Letter to the Clemson

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Herzlich's Letter to the Clemson

Postby mezmrin on Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:08 pm

From the clemson website:

Sept. 22, 2009

Dear Clemson Fans:

First - My son is Mark Herzlich, the BC linebacker recovering from Cancer. The entire Tiger Nation should be proud of the complete class your entire program carries itself with. I wear a copy of Mark's jersey to games and I lost track of the number of Clemson fans who approached me to wish him well and to say that they were praying for him. These are people who don't know me, don't know Mark and have little reason to even be aware of his situation yet were both aware and involved enough to say some kind words. Thank you.

Second, for those who missed it, prior to the game Coach Swinney presented Mark with a Clemson jersey signed by the whole team with Mark's #94 on it. I've never seen such an outstanding and unsolicited display of sportsmanship.

Finally, throughout the weekend the major topic of conversation outside football was the graciousness of the Clemson fan base. All of us commented on how welcoming everyone was, both before and after the game. I've been to Clemson before and interacted with Clemson fans in Boston so I wasn't suprised any more but I was glad to see my friends get the message too. There was absolutely no lack of support or fanatacism for Clemson football but it was all wrapped up in an understanding that competing doesn't mean hating, that you need an opponent to play a game and that there's a difference between an opponent and an enemy. My younger son, who's used to the whole us versus them attitude in a lot of fan bases turned to me at one point and said, "you just can't hate these guys!"

Clemson continues to be my favorite road trip. I always root for Boston College to go undefeated and win the ACC, but in the years that it can't be us, I hope it's you.

If you're going to be a bear - be a grizzly!

-Sandon Herzlich
mezmrin
Clemson Ambassador

Re: Herzlich's Letter to the Clemson

Postby 1981Eagle on Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:18 pm

Thanks for sharing.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:46 am

I heart the Clemson.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby talon on Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:51 am

If Herzlich plays next year, I want BC-Clemson to be played on MNF on Labor Day. We last played VT on a Thursday night four years ago, so we're due for another weeknight game again next season.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:52 am

We all love Clemson. That is a universal sentiment amongst the BC fans. I don't know if it was born out of Trangese mockingly asking who would ever come to watch a BC-Clemson game when we announced our leaving or if it is born from physics (i.e. opposites attract). But, whatever it is, we love Clemson so much that we even pretended that we didn't have an offense last week.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle1331 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:03 am

While I do think Clemson has the greatest fans I've interacted with at a game... their current student athletes leave a little to be desired. I was on the sidelines for the first BC-Clemson game when we joined the ACC and it was the same thing they did this weekend with the other teams walking around the stadium before the game. Those kids talked some of the dirtiest trash talk to anyone on the BC sideline I've ever heard.

Their parents however, class acts!
Herzlich for Coach '09-'10
eagle1331
Carney Hall

Postby angrychicken on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:09 am

campion {l Wrote}:
eagle1331 {l Wrote}:While I do think Clemson has the greatest fans I've interacted with at a game... their current student athletes leave a little to be desired. I was on the sidelines for the first BC-Clemson game when we joined the ACC and it was the same thing they did this weekend with the other teams walking around the stadium before the game. Those kids talked some of the dirtiest trash talk to anyone on the BC sideline I've ever heard.

Their parents however, class acts!

I saw them throwing snowballs.

Snowballs with batteries in them?
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:11 am

Clemson fans are special. They truly are. No one can ever deny that.

But, I honestly have noticed an incredible difference in fans since we've joined the ACC. In the Big East, I used to dread games. Playing teams like UConn and RU and WVU was insufferable BECAUSE of their fans. In RU and UConn's case, it was lose-lose because a win is a non-accomplishment and a loss is program-killer. But, the weeks of UConn/RU/WVU were just terrible because of the "imagine how bad next week will be if we lose" factor.

Now, in the ACC, I really don't feel that way. The programs are all decent. The fans are all respectable. They seem to understand and respect Papa Herzy's line between opponent and enemy. I would say that the only opponents I dread losing against are ND... and really for no other reason than the fact that I think it is funny how our domination of them throws them into delirium... and NCS (which I only care about because of the POS hack writer JP Giglio... if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't care... even with TOB there).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:20 am

[quote="HJS"]Clemson fans are special. They truly are. No one can ever deny that.

But, I honestly have noticed an incredible difference in fans since we've joined the ACC. In the Big East, I used to dread games. Playing teams like UConn and RU and WVU was insufferable BECAUSE of their fans. In RU and UConn's case, it was lose-lose because a win is a non-accomplishment and a loss is program-killer. But, the weeks of UConn/RU/WVU were just terrible because of the "imagine how bad next week will be if we lose" factor.
quote]

I miss dodging cups of steaming hot urine.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby angrychicken on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:23 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Clemson fans are special. They truly are. No one can ever deny that.

quote]

Find campion at the game tomorrow. He'll throw some piss at you if you ask nicely.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:27 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Clemson fans are special. They truly are. No one can ever deny that.

quote]

Find campion at the game tomorrow. He'll throw some piss at you if you ask nicely.

Campion pees pure single malt Scotch or the finest aged Irish Whiskey.

He does not have any drinking problems, nor does 9 on Thursday Night.

I did not see the 9R as in rant so I assume there were a bevy of underage girls romping around nakid and God knows what going on.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:30 am

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

quote]

Campion pees pure single malt Scotch or the finest aged Irish Whiskey.

He does not have any drinking problems, nor does 9 on Thursday Night.

I did not see the 9R as in rant so I assume there were a bevy of underage girls romping around nakid and God knows what going on.

If by "underage" you mean "in their 20s", you might be on to something.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Return to Alumni Stadium