Blue and Gold BC article

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Blue and Gold BC article

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:19 pm

DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Re: Blue and Gold BC article

Postby Boston Domer on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:31 pm

Boston Domer
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:40 pm

ND isn't in the top 7 teams that have a chance to beat BC next season. If BC loses to ND, it will be worse than all but the other OOC battles.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:42 pm

Got to imagine we'll beat ND at home, but it's not as much of a guarantee as TW would make you think.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:47 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Got to imagine we'll beat ND at home, but it's not as much of a guarantee as TW would make you think.

We are not losing to Notre Dame this year.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Boston Domer on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:11 pm

And what virtue is jealousy?
Boston Domer
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:13 pm

Boston Domer {l Wrote}:And what virtue is jealousy?

Wouldn't know. Why don't you enlighten us?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:17 pm

campion {l Wrote}:Condescending fuckpigs.

Condescending fuckpig emoticon please.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:22 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:Condescending fuckpigs.

Condescending fuckpig emoticon please.

Put a pig in an ND sweater. if you want it authentic, put lipstick on it as well.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bcsoxfan12 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:34 pm

The older brother has to come to terms with the fact that the “little” brother has grown up, and has stepped out of his shadow. If there’s a 12 step program to becoming a Notre Dame fan Denial must be #3 on the list, after Arrogance and Entitlement.
bcsoxfan12
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:35 pm

campion {l Wrote}:
Boston Domer {l Wrote}:And what virtue is jealousy?

The correct term is envy, not jealousy. I can't speak for anyone else here, but there are things I admire about Notre Dame. The Alliance for Catholic Education, the school of architecture and its role in reclaiming Catholic church architecture from banal ugliness, and the Cushwa Center for the study of American Catholicism and the fact that ND has its own academic press are all contributions that ND makes to the common weal that I find admirable. There are probably other initiatives at ND that I admire, but I can't think of them right now. There are certainly many faculty at ND whom I admire.

Athletically I enjoy having ND as an opponent in hockey and football, and I understand their special place in sports history. Just like I understand the Canadiens, Celtics, and Yankees unique position in history. That's not envy, that's just appreciating history. But the deadly sin of pride has become a really unattractive defense mechanism among Notre Dame alumni and boosters as they try to avoid recognizing that Ara is not going to walk through that door. Losing to a school with a very good overall won loss record a whole bunch of times in a row and then ssaying that they are a "lesser" opponent who somehow "got ND's number" for a lucky period of time is a prime example of what I am talking about. And it has become standard operating procedure for ND fans.

Can't you see that?

I see it. But all THEY SEE (they = Notre Dame alumni) are players on the BC roster who (if given a chance) would have played for Notre Dame and not BC if only Notre Dame would have offered them the same scholarship. By this rationale, THEY conclude that ALL of the players on the Notre Dame roster are better than the players on the BC roster. Take this infernal conclusion to its final destination and THEY must lay blame for those continuous losses to their "little brother" on whoever is the current coach of Notre Dame football.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:38 pm

campion {l Wrote}: Losing to a school with a very good overall won loss record a whole bunch of times in a row and then ssaying that they are a "lesser" opponent who somehow "got ND's number" for a lucky period of time is a prime example of what I am talking about. And it has become standard operating procedure for ND fans.

Don't forget the "you're players get up for the game because ND is the most important game on your schedule and we don't care about the game" thing too.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:02 pm

This is what your average Notre Dame alumni thinks of all the players on the BC roster: guys who did not get scholarship offers from Notre Dame so they settled for BC. This is what your average Notre Dame alumni thinks of all the players on the Notre Dame roster: guys who DID get scholarship offers from BC but went to Notre Dame when Notre Dame offered them a scholarship. This is why Brian Toal (a player that got offers at both schools) is such a paradox for them. They can't understand why Brian would have turned down Notre Dame for BC. That just does not compute. So they just chalk that one up to a fluke in HIS character.

If you go by the supposition that a team you play (at least every other year) has a roster filled with guys who would be playing for you if you had offered them a scholarship, then all other things being equal, you should beat that team every time you play them. THIS is kinda-sorta the way "some" BC alumni look at the players who play for Edsall at the University of Connecticut. The fact that BC has done so well vs Notre Dame (for the last 17 years at least) leads the Notre Dame alumni to the conclusion that they haven't had a coach for quite some time (and I echo Campion's "Ara is not walking through that door..." comment.) There is no other logical reason to explain all those losses to Freddo (ironically, Michael's older brother.)
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:04 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:This is what your average Notre Dame alumni thinks of all the players on the BC roster: guys who did not get scholarship offers from Notre Dame so they settled for BC. This is what your average Notre Dame alumni thinks of all the players on the Notre Dame roster: guys who DID get scholarship offers from BC but went to Notre Dame when Notre Dame offered them a scholarship. This is why Brian Toal (a player that got offers at both schools) is such a paradox for them. They can't understand why Brian would have turned down Notre Dame for BC. That just does not compute. So they just chalk that one up to a fluke in HIS character.

If you go by the supposition that a team you play (at least every other year) has a roster filled with guys who would be playing for you if you had offered them a scholarship, then all other things being equal, you should beat that team every time you play them. THIS is kinda-sorta the way "some" BC alumni look at the players who play for Edsall at the University of Connecticut. The fact that BC has done so well vs Notre Dame (for the last 17 years at least) leads the Notre Dame alumni to the conclusion that they haven't had a coach for quite some time (and I echo Campion's "Ara is not walking through that door..." comment.) There is no other logical reason to explain all those losses to Freddo (ironically, Michael's older brother.)

one d
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:13 pm

i love the fact that despite not having the prestige or history of Notre Dame, it seems like everyu time a "return to glory" is brewing BC always seems to be the team to squash it. i hope this year is no exception.

not bad for being "little brother"....
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:36 pm

Pathetic, pablum puking, primmadonna, pollyanna, panglossian, puscadore, pravda pumping, pussies.

10P'ers.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCWest on Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:10 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:ND isn't in the top 7 teams that have a chance to beat BC next season. If BC loses to ND, it will be worse than all but the other OOC battles.

I still can't believe BC lost to them last year. Had Shinskie played the game at anywhere near a competent level, BC walks.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:59 am

BCWest {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:ND isn't in the top 7 teams that have a chance to beat BC next season. If BC loses to ND, it will be worse than all but the other OOC battles.

I still can't believe BC lost to them last year. Had Shinskie played the game at anywhere near a competent level, BC walks.

Yup. Or if Montel doesn't fumble.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:57 am

BCWest {l Wrote}:

Ehh, we weren't really that good last year all season. We had eight wins.

1. Northeastern. Enough Said.
2. Kent State. Enough Said.
3. Central Michigan. Enough Said.
4. Wake Forest. We played well at the beginning, but coaching down the stretch was terrible and we were lucky it didn't slip away.
5. FSU - probably our best game of the season - we played very well, but it's not like our offense was dominant. Our defense really shut them down, though.
6. NCST - they sucked, we beat them. If you can consistently run on a team, you're not going to lose.
7. Virginia - They were not very good - they lost to William and Mary last year and we needed last second "heroics" to win, after a terrible performance by our offense.
8. Maryland - They won two games last year. We beat them by three.

There were bright spots last year - mostly the defense, but the offense/coaching was so putrid that we could have easily lost to Virginia, WFU, and Maryland. Compared to those teams, Notre Dame looks pretty decent.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:19 am

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:
BCWest {l Wrote}:

Ehh, we weren't really that good last year all season. We had eight wins.

1. Northeastern. Enough Said.
2. Kent State. Enough Said.
3. Central Michigan. Enough Said.
4. Wake Forest. We played well at the beginning, but coaching down the stretch was terrible and we were lucky it didn't slip away.
5. FSU - probably our best game of the season - we played very well, but it's not like our offense was dominant. Our defense really shut them down, though.
6. NCST - they sucked, we beat them. If you can consistently run on a team, you're not going to lose.
7. Virginia - They were not very good - they lost to William and Mary last year and we needed last second "heroics" to win, after a terrible performance by our offense.
8. Maryland - They won two games last year. We beat them by three.

There were bright spots last year - mostly the defense, but the offense/coaching was so putrid that we could have easily lost to Virginia, WFU, and Maryland. Compared to those teams, Notre Dame looks pretty decent.

And it still took what - 6/7 turnovers for ND to just squeak by?

That and, to everyone's dismay when it comes to our defense, a blitz call that left Tate free for his TD.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium