Jim Grobe to UVA

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Jim Grobe to UVA

Postby HJS on Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:00 pm

You heard it here first. Won't happen till the end of the season, but will happen.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Re: Jim Grobe to UVA

Postby 1981Eagle on Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:04 pm

That sounds insane to me unless he is an alumni. He has a good thing at Wake and has been offered top jobs before. Why would he go to UVA which is the level of Syracuse last year? Edit: I looked up his bio and he is a UVA alum, so maybe. At least it would give me hope that Bick Jr will come back as BC HC after our 3-9 season this year.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:36 pm

UVA gets great recruits and they're in an area with a lot of talent. Even a marginally capable coach could make UVA an ACC contender in no time.
Last edited by Endless Mike on Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby Mr. O on Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:41 pm

How do you know it will happen?

It makes some sense having played football at UVA. It is a better opportunity than Wake though still difficult in terms of academic requirements that are IMO higher than Wake's.
Mr. O
n00b

Postby bignick33 on Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:43 pm

UVA will take some racial criticism if they don't hire London, which will be amusing.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby wakeforest22890 on Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:44 pm

Could happen....we've withstood two shots from Nebraska and Arkansas so I maintain the one remaining hurdle is him going to UVA.

Groh is all but out the door, but I've heard from some good sources that UVA is not interested in pursuing another ACC coach at this time.
wakeforest22890
n00b

Postby talon on Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:54 pm

Mr. O {l Wrote}:It is a better opportunity than Wake though still difficult in terms of academic requirements that are IMO higher than Wake's.

really? I know that UVA's a very good school, and extremely difficult to get into if you're from out of state or from northern virginia, but do they really maintain those same standards for football players?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby Mr. O on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:06 pm

talon {l Wrote}:
Mr. O {l Wrote}:It is a better opportunity than Wake though still difficult in terms of academic requirements that are IMO higher than Wake's.

really? I know that UVA's a very good school, and extremely difficult to get into if you're from out of state or from northern virginia, but do they really maintain those same standards for football players?

No school has the same admission standards for athletes as they do the regular student body. However, they have tougher admission standards relative to almost every other BCS school in the country.

Not only does UVA have tough admission standards, but it is extremely difficult to remain eligible for a lot of their players once they arrive on campus. They have had more players not admitted that met NCAA minimums and more players suspended academically than any other school in the ACC. I say that having followed the conference for 25+ years and UVA closely with my family from Charlottesville.
Mr. O
n00b

Postby angryty on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:11 pm

UVA is a brutal place to coach. They have no gut majors and they provide almost no academic support to their players once they get there. The school is hated in the Tidewater, where 90% of Virginia's considerable football talent resides, because it is fairly or unfairly perceived as being a hostile environment for poor black kids.
angryty
McGuinn Hall

Postby Brooklyneagle on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:12 pm

This is a good week to start this rumor. I'm all for it.
Brooklyneagle
Carney Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:48 pm

Jags will probably take the Wake job, recruit like a maniac and beat the bejesus out of us and his old pal Toby.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCWest on Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:50 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:You heard it here first. Won't happen till the end of the season, but will happen.

IT would not surprise me. UVA might be able to get him. So they could end up with Grobe, worst case London. Pretty good options.

If Maryland opens up, I wonder who gets serious consideration there. If London does not get UVA, I would guess he goes hard after that job and if Grobe left WF, he would probably being very interested in their position.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:50 pm

James Franklin is a good example as to why you never name a Coach-In-Waiting. I'd be interested to see if they follow through. If they don't, Edsall wants that job bad. If Wake loses Grobe, I see them going with someone who has Carolina roots... Skip Holtz comes to mind. London would obviously be the runner up for UVA if things fall apart with Grobe.

Let's just all remember names like Addazio, Holtz, London, Edsall, Whipple and even Clawson. Let's see whose career pans out better... any of them... or Spaz.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby billyshelby on Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:53 pm

I had forgotten about Adazzio. Imagine putting a bright young offensive mind with an already solid defense. It makes too much sense.
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:08 pm

I am of the belief that if Gene didn't go all effing crazy when he found out that Jags was cheating on him with Brett Farve, Gene would not have hired Spaz. He at least would have had the option to hiring someone else. But, because he went all Glenn Close to Chris Mortensen, he backed himself into a corner where he pretty much could only hire Spaz and/or Bick Jr. Even then... he chose poorly.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:20 pm

Getting Grobe out of the division will be great. Hopefully once he leaves Wake will go back to being Wake. We should all be grateful to Grobe though because he showed you can win the ACC with a worse recruiting base than BC, as strict admissions, no local fan support, worse facilities, and an off campus stadium that rarely sells out.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:03 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Hopefully once he leaves Wake will go back to being Wake.

Funny... that is precisely what ACC fans and media talking heads alike are saying about BC under Spaz.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:21 am

billyshelby {l Wrote}:I had forgotten about Adazzio. Imagine putting a bright young offensive mind with an already solid defense. It makes too much sense.

Someone refresh my memory...wasn't Addazio the guy who was supposed to be the last interview, but then Gene went ahead and hired :spaz2 because Addazio had to postpone it a day? I remember something like that going on. I think Addazio was sick and rescheduled it, but then Gene went ahead and held the press conference.
Last edited by Endless Mike on Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:37 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
billyshelby {l Wrote}:I had forgotten about Adazzio. Imagine putting a bright young offensive mind with an already solid defense. It makes too much sense.

Someone refresh my memory...wasn't Addazio the guy who was supposed to be the last interview, but then Gene went ahead and hired :spaz3 because Addazio had to postpone it a day? I remember something like that going on. I think Addazio was sick and rescheduled it, but then Gene went ahead and held the press conference.

GDF prob felt it was a diss...

p.s. we need a little napoleon smi;ley and fast!
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby jamesda3asu on Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:08 pm

I believe Grobe has a contract agreement not to go to another acc school, plus the 10 year buy out.
jamesda3asu
n00b

Postby Reverend Mike on Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:15 pm

I just hope UVA doesn't steal spaz from us. :pickle
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:23 pm

Isn't there a gentleman's rule in the ACC for schools to not hire another school's coach? From what I understand, Tobias to NCSU was only the second time it happened (I think Bobby Ross was the first?) - either way, BC was fine with Toby leaving and I'm sure the rest of the ACC considers us a bunch of northern yankee barbarians anyway.

Gentlemen's rule aside, Grobe is an obvious choice for UVA.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby jamesda3asu on Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:46 pm

can you not read it cannot happen.
jamesda3asu
n00b

Postby talon on Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:50 pm

jamesda3asu {l Wrote}:can you not read it cannot happen.

according to a "contract."

"contracts" are worthless in the world of college football coaching.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:10 pm

Did you get a PM telling you this?
:ginger
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby shockdoct on Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:23 pm

Whats the deal with this?
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby jamesda3asu on Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:02 am

talon {l Wrote}:
jamesda3asu {l Wrote}:can you not read it cannot happen.

according to a "contract."

"contracts" are worthless in the world of college football coaching.

Depending on a coaches moral character and Grobe is above that.
jamesda3asu
n00b

Postby apbc12 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:33 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

Someone refresh my memory...wasn't Addazio the guy who was supposed to be the last interview, but then Gene went ahead and hired :spaz2 because Addazio had to postpone it a day? I remember something like that going on. I think Addazio was sick and rescheduled it, but then Gene went ahead and held the press conference.

For what it's worth, the Interweb's most prominent Florida fan doesn't seem to think much of Addazio just yet:

. . . Florida’s need to bust out offensively, something Urban Meyer has to have harped on this week after watching Steve Addazio do his best impression of Spread Option Mike Debord the past few weeks. (Correction and apology: at least Debord would throw deep.) . . . the playcalling continues to resemble a 2004 Big Ten offense thrown into a spread option wrapper.

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2009/09/25/this-weeks-fox-kentucky/#more-12360
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby billyshelby on Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:42 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

For what it's worth, the Interweb's most prominent Florida fan doesn't seem to think much of Addazio just yet:

. . . Florida’s need to bust out offensively, something Urban Meyer has to have harped on this week after watching Steve Addazio do his best impression of Spread Option Mike Debord the past few weeks. (Correction and apology: at least Debord would throw deep.) . . . the playcalling continues to resemble a 2004 Big Ten offense thrown into a spread option wrapper.

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2009/09/25/this-weeks-fox-kentucky/#more-12360

Monte Kiffin could make any offense look bad. Addazio isn't the only OC in the SEC who is going to learn a lot trying to outsmart him.
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium