Question on ticket policy

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Question on ticket policy

Postby BCinDC on Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:03 pm

I plan on attending Saturday's game with my 4-month old daughter. A quick look on the ticket webpage states "Everyone, regardless of age, must have a ticket for entry into Alumni Stadium."

Really?

Have any of you been able to get your kids in for free?
BCinDC
n00b

Re: Question on ticket policy

Postby commavegarage on Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:06 pm

BCinDC {l Wrote}:I plan on attending Saturday's game with my 4-month old daughter. A quick look on the ticket webpage states "Everyone, regardless of age, must have a ticket for entry into Alumni Stadium."

Really?

I assume given your handle that you are coming up from DC to see the game- If that is indeed the case I would call the ticket office. I feel like you'd been fine but it's worth asking just in case (If you do call and they say yes, get the name of the guy you were talking too so if there are any issues you can reference the guy you talked to.)
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:09 pm

I don't have kids but people have complained about this policy on the boards recently before. I think they're firm on it.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:16 pm

BCinDC {l Wrote}:I plan on attending Saturday's game with my 4-month old daughter. A quick look on the ticket webpage states "Everyone, regardless of age, must have a ticket for entry into Alumni Stadium."

Really?

100%... yes... really. It is a Gene rule to give him stats that allow him to pretend he is a good AD.

A few years ago, we ran into this policy. It was towards the end of the second quarter (kids had finally awoken from naps)... my wife and her friend... were trying to get into the game carrying their respective infants (both around 5 months old). It was a game against someone like Ball State and the stadium was empty. The ticket taker suddenly took on the persona of a Statie clearing Shea Field. Wouldn't let them in... told it was policy... when explained that they've brought the kids in previous games with no problem, he threatened to charge them for those games... as they turned and left with crying babies in tow, he said if he saw them inside he would call security. They went down to the next gate and the female ticket-taker let them in only commenting how adorable the kids were.

This is the gameday experience that Gene hates on the fans for not wanting to attend.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCinDC on Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:31 pm

Thanks. I called the ticket office and spoke to a gentleman who told me that "yes, unfortunately that is the policy." When I asked if there was at least a reduced price he told me, "Between you and me, you can probably just walk in with her and no one will say anything." Of course, since this advice was off the record he wasn't going to give me his name.

The sad part was when he said, "If worse comes to worst you can just buy a ticket at the gate. It's not like we're going to sell out or anything..."
BCinDC
n00b

Postby hansen on Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:38 pm

BCinDC {l Wrote}:Thanks. I called the ticket office and spoke to a gentleman who told me that "yes, unfortunately that is the policy." When I asked if there was at least a reduced price he told me, "Between you and me, you can probably just walk in with her and no one will say anything." Of course, since this advice was off the record he wasn't going to give me his name.

The sad part was when he said, "If worse comes to worst you can just buy a ticket at the gate. It's not like we're going to sell out or anything..."

that's classic.
not even the ticket office believes we can sell out the stadium.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:41 pm

Ladies & Gentlemen the award winning BC ticket office!
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby AdamBC on Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:42 pm

Not only that ... but parent's weekend against the first non-I-AA team in a while is still not likely to sell out.

I hate our fans and athletic department. (Both are to blame.)
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:47 pm

I don't usually worry about attendance, but if we can't sell out Parent's Weekend anymore, it's time to start worrying. FORCED RETIREMENT FOR COACH FLIP.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:47 pm

Since BC is a Catholic school, does that mean pregnant chicks need two tickets? :seanwilliams
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:57 pm

Parents weekend ALWAYS sellsout. Seriously. We used to schedule Temple back in the day... and the place would be packed. Not selling out after two consecutive ACCCGs would be another nail in the coffin of the AD at any other program. However, since Fr. Leahy hates sports, GDF is our POS until he gets his well-deserved dirtnap.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCDF22 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:10 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:I don't usually worry about attendance, but if we can't sell out Parent's Weekend anymore, it's time to start worrying. FORCED RETIREMENT FOR COACH FLIP.

Our attendance issues are downright scary right now. We're going to average about 34k for the year, and that's assuming we battle our way to a 6-6. 5-7 type season. If we fall of the map are 2-5, 2-7 or whatever, those last few games are going to be ugly attendance wise. Gene and the exorbitant prices he charges for tickets and tailgating and DBS, and the crap game day experience at BC are KILLING the fanbase. No other way to spin it. :lame
BCDF22
Carney Hall

Postby unblinkingeye on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:17 pm

BC's ticket policy is pretty much the standard policy for most venues. You can't pin this one on Gene.
unblinkingeye
n00b

Postby HJS on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:21 pm

Is our tailgating policy pretty much the standard policy for most venues?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:34 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Is our tailgating policy pretty much the standard policy for most venues?

Look, I hate our tailgating rules as much as the next whalepants wearer, but the reality is most schools that can tailgate for hours upon hours are in the middle of nowhere. I'd rather have bad tailgating for 7 days a year and be in our location than be able to tailgate for hours and live in bumblefxck.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby talon on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:36 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Is our tailgating policy pretty much the standard policy for most venues?

Look, I hate our tailgating rules as much as the next whalepants wearer, but the reality is most schools that can tailgate for hours upon hours are in the middle of nowhere. I'd rather have bad tailgating for 7 days a year and be in our location than be able to tailgate for hours and live in bumblefxck.

Why give up one to get the other? Tailgating and location aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby BCDF22 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:45 pm

And if tailgating issues are truly incorrectable and out of the hands of BC, then stop trying to charge a bajillion dollars for it. I wouldn't mind crappy tailgating if it didn't cost much.
BCDF22
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:57 pm

Last I checked, three fellow conference schools (Maryland, Miami and GTech) have similar suburban/urban campuses. A number of similarly situated schools nationally include, USC, UCLA, UDub, Northwestern and Rutgers. That is 8 BCS-conference schools located in or around cities bigger than are the same size as Boston. You can expand the list further if you include slightly smaller cities... ASU, Berkeley, Stanford, NCS, Cincy, Louisville, Texas, FSU, Pittsburgh, UConn, Michigan and Vandy. Realize the comparisons further mushroom if you include non-BCS programs like Memphis, Houston, SMU, etc.

I challenge anyone to find a program that has our tailgating restrictions.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:06 pm

Boxty... is everything that is NOT in "dense, toney suburban neighborhoods with million dollar homes immediately surrounding the stadium" deemed to be located in "bumblefxck"???
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby WilpertsRevenge on Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:08 pm

campion {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Last I checked, three fellow conference schools (Maryland, Miami and GTech) have similar suburban/urban campuses. A number of similarly situated schools nationally include, USC, UCLA, UDub, Northwestern and Rutgers. That is 8 BCS-conference schools located in or around cities bigger than are the same size as Boston. You can expand the list further if you include slightly smaller cities... ASU, Berkeley, Stanford, NCS, Cincy, Louisville, Texas, FSU, Pittsburgh, UConn, Michigan and Vandy. Realize the comparisons further mushroom if you include non-BCS programs like Memphis, Houston, SMU, etc.

I challenge anyone to find a program that has our tailgating restrictions.

Those schools are all in dense, toney suburban neighborhoods with million dollar homes immediately surrounding the stadium? I didn't know that.

HJS c'mon none of those schools are sitauted like BC is and like Boston in general. They may be urban but then Cleveland is urban and it is more spread out than the state of RI
WilpertsRevenge
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:11 pm

The only difference between how those schools are situated and how BC is situated is the people who live in the area immediately surrounding the respective campuses.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby unblinkingeye on Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:16 pm

First it was Gene's fault and now you're blaming the neighbors. Brilliant.
unblinkingeye
n00b

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:17 pm

unblinkingeye {l Wrote}:First it was Gene's fault and now you're blaming the neighbors. Brilliant.

It's your fault. Jerk. :shake
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby AdamBC on Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:19 pm

Also, how many of those 'suburban' school you named have on-campus football stadiums?

To that extent - I consider GT to have a similar set-up to BC. How is their tailgating? Is it indistinguishable from UGA tailgating?
Last edited by AdamBC on Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby WilpertsRevenge on Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:20 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:The only difference between how those schools are situated and how BC is situated is the people who live in the area immediately surrounding the respective campuses.

I consider Tallahassee both bumblefxck and didn't see many private residences not inhabited by frats or WT near campus
WilpertsRevenge
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:42 pm

Great... one you disagree with. What about Vandy (which is located in a wealthy section of Nashville) or UDub or Northwestern??? All have on-campus facilities outside too. Point is that there is no justification for our High School tailgating rules... NONE!!!
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ZBC2001 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:55 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Great... one you disagree with. What about Vandy (which is located in a wealthy section of Nashville) or UDub or Northwestern??? All have on-campus facilities outside too. Point is that there is no justification for our High School tailgating rules... NONE!!!

Do those schools need to get an entertainment license from their city? Isn't that where the limit on tailgating comes from?

The tailgating situation is something that has always struck me as being a problem that is not BC created, but one in which BC is doing the best it can given the state of Mass politics, lack of parking space, and the proximity of houses to the stadium.

That all being said...tailgating at BC is like :dildodog.
ZBC2001
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:08 pm

ZBC2001 {l Wrote}:Do those schools need to get an entertainment license from their city? Isn't that where the limit on tailgating comes from?

The tailgating situation is something that has always struck me as being a problem that is not BC created, but one in which BC is doing the best it can given the state of Mass politics, lack of parking space, and the proximity of houses to the stadium.

That certainly would be what Gene would lead you to believe. I find it surprising that we can successfully win a war where we are allowed to expand student dorms adjacent to those same neighbors... yet, we can't get a couple of extra HOURS to drive past their homes (and soon-to-be-dorms) on 7 Saturdays a year (a day when many of them are supposed to be walking anyway). Yes... BC has to get a license... but they don't put up any really battle when the town says "BTW, you got 2 hours before and after... OK?" If the donations and ticket sales fall off the GDF created cliff, I can pretty much assure you that you will see a different hourly tailgating window to woo season ticketholders back into the fold. This could be the single achievement of the Spaz error... being so effing bad that Gene actually has to allow people to tailgate.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby WilpertsRevenge on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:10 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Great... one you disagree with. What about Vandy (which is located in a wealthy section of Nashville) or UDub or Northwestern??? All have on-campus facilities outside too. Point is that there is no justification for our High School tailgating rules... NONE!!!

I would give you vandy or maybe Cal as being close but not the others. Much more space than BC's footprint. I am also not convinced that the tailgating is that much better. UNC seems like it would have nice tailgting but it was worse and more spread out than ours. The majority of fans were from NC state
WilpertsRevenge
Carney Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:11 pm

AdamBC {l Wrote}:Also, how many of those 'suburban' school you named have on-campus football stadiums?

To that extent - I consider GT to have a similar set-up to BC. How is their tailgating? Is it indistinguishable from UGA tailgating?

GT and UGA are not great examples. GT has pretty friendly tailgating policies but has many of the same parking issues BC has. If you park in a garage you cannot have a fire.

UGA used to have world class tailgating. But the faculty and President have really pushed to curb things. There is now "family friendly" sections where you cannot drink alcohol. And the tree hugging professors are trying to crack down on the hours because it ruins the grass and create mounds of garbage.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium