Is Spaz ready to declare the Tuggle era over?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Is Spaz ready to declare the Tuggle era over?

Postby talon on Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:56 am

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009 ... ar/sports/

Spaziani left open the possibility that a new quarterback will start against Wake Forest. The most obvious replacements are Dave Shinskie, a 25-year-old freshman who has completed 17 of 27 passes for 185 yards, Mike Marscovetra, a freshman who has completed three of four passes for 21 yards and Codi Boek, a transfer who has completed two of four passes for 18 yards.

"The quarterback situation is certainly problematic," Spaziani said. "We have to address it in the long term and try to do what's best for the football team.

"This one isn't easy."
talon
Cushing Hall

Re: Is Spaz ready to declare the Tuggle era over?

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:00 am

Incompetent.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:07 am

"We have to address it in the long term and try to do what's best for the football team.
"This one isn't easy."

Like a Head Coaching job is Spaz?

What a douchebag.

Shinskie or

Marco...............................

Polo.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:12 am

:spaz2 is a fucking coward...give up on a kid after one game, that sends a good signal. I still don't think any of the other QBs would have done any better with that piss poor performance from the offensive line.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby apbc12 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:45 am

Anybody have Spaz's email address? Send him the link to ATL's "How to Ruin the ACC's Best Offensive Line" series and his "OL is the problem, not QB" post.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:46 am

It's Tuggle's team if he had more than 1.3 seconds to throw back there and Gunnell didn't get a case of the drops....
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:57 am

Tuggle is NOT the problem here. At least not yet. If he actually has the chance to play a game without having 3 defenders in his face 2 seconds after every snap and still sucks, that's different. But he also had a few nice plays vs. Clemson (the dropped pass to Larmond and especially the TD pass where he did a great job reading the blitz and exploiting it). He also seems to be the best leader of the candidates and his mobility gives us the best chance to win games.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby BCDF22 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:02 am

Exactly. Its the freaking OL, not the QB. Obviously 4-20, 23 yds and 3 INTs isno great game, but he isn't being used correctly. Look what happened when he was allowed to run and ran a little spread option. We immediately picked up first downs. Just throwing up bombs on 3 & 15 is not his game. To me he looks much more comfortable than Shinskie and more comfortable after 3 games than DD ever did. He just has to be given the play calling and scheme to succeed. And some freaking time from the OL. I honestly think Shinskie would have had about 6 fumbles and 4 INTs if he was in there the whole time. who knows what MM would have done. What worries me is that this QB merry go round is taking away meaningful snaps from JT in practice. Give him all the snaps the next few weeks and gameplan to his strengths. If he still blows at that point and we're 2-5, then the season is a waste, he'll have proven he's not the answer, and then its time to give DS or MM some reps. Not now.
BCDF22
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:06 am

apbc12 {l Wrote}:Anybody have Spaz's email address? Send him the link to ATL's "How to Ruin the ACC's Best Offensive Line" series and his "OL is the problem, not QB" post.

When in doubt it's firstname.lastname.1@bc.edu

just sayin is all...
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:47 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:Anybody have Spaz's email address? Send him the link to ATL's "How to Ruin the ACC's Best Offensive Line" series and his "OL is the problem, not QB" post.

just sayin is all...

this is public information....

Title: Head Coach, Football

BC Work Address:

Yawkey Athletic Center 330
140 Commonwealth Avenue
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467

BC Work Phone: 617-552-3010
Department Phone: 617-552-3010
Email: frank.spaziani.1@bc.edu
Title: Assistant Coach, Football
Email: gary.tranquill.1@bc.edu
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:14 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:I still don't think any of the other QBs would have done any better with that piss poor performance from the offensive line.

Truth. This isn't like the Georgia Tech game last year when the Craniac had all the time in the world and tried to throw bounce passes.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:53 pm

It's a problem when all of us here can tell you in a second that the OLine was the problem and the coaches, the important ones, think it was the QB. Even scarier is I haven't heard one mention of the OLine in any article quoting Spaz at all, all attention is on the QB.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:54 pm

I am certainly not in the blame Tuggle category, but enough about the stupid Larmond drop. Larmond was 8 feet out of bounds before he came back in to go to the ball. Never would have been a catch - refs' hat was off.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 2008Eagle on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:28 pm

Poor OL play, some of the worst playcalling I've ever seen...yes, clearly Tuggle is the problem.

:roll:
2008Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby Thunderdome on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:38 pm

I'm ready to declare the Tuggle era over. He looks completely lost out there.
Thunderdome
n00b

Postby OmariWalker on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:42 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

just sayin is all...

this is public information....

Title: Head Coach, Football

BC Work Address:

Yawkey Athletic Center 330
140 Commonwealth Avenue
Chestnut Hill, MA 02467

Email: frank.spaziani.1@bc.edu
Title: Assistant Coach, Football
Email: gary.tranquill.1@bc.edu

Do you think Dumbo has any idea what email means?
OmariWalker
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:44 pm

Thunderdome {l Wrote}:I'm ready to declare the Tuggle era over. He looks completely lost out there.

And your alternative is? Let me guess, Dom Davis ... oops, same stupid argument, different season. My bad.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:51 pm

Thunderdome {l Wrote}:I'm ready to declare the Tuggle era over. He looks completely lost out there.

Aunty Entity? Is that you?

Someone was enjoying my Thunderdome posts.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby MrAwesome on Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:14 pm

I think you are all correct that the coaches should call plays that Tugs is adept at. But what are they?? Roll outs?? Qb sneaks?? Spread option?? I say do all that stuff. BUT, it doesnt change the fact that the kid has a terrible throwing motion, which seems to result in an awful lot of ducks out there. What are the coaches supposed to do about that?
MrAwesome
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:21 pm

MrAwesome {l Wrote}:I think you are all correct that the coaches should call plays that Tugs is adept at. But what are they?? Roll outs?? Qb sneaks?? Spread option?? I say do all that stuff. BUT, it doesnt change the fact that the kid has a terrible throwing motion, which seems to result in an awful lot of ducks out there. What are the coaches supposed to do about that?

They gave him that throwing motion. They "corrected" his old throwing motion - the one that had him throwing bullets in HS.

Fact is, the kid throws ducks because he is on his back when throwing and because he is only allowed to throw 50 yard bombs with 8 men in coverage on 3rd and 18 because the coordinator is an idiot and the O-Line fucking sucks.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby h2o on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:20 pm

I don't like the way Spaz is publicly pointing fingers at the QB play. He either has no clue how to deal with the media or, simply has no clue. I think it's both. Instead of spending time making a fool of himself with his dumb quotes to the media, he should be taking Tranq and Babs Devine to task for the sucktastic job they did preparing a game plan and blocking schemes on Saturday. Hey Spaz, spend time in Yawkee with your offensive coaching staff making sure they've got their shit together, and spend time on the practice field making sure the players are being taught correctly. How he can break down tape of that game for hours on end and say the QB was the problem is disturbing. It makes me think he's looking for ways to not play Tuggle.
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:27 pm

I contend that the "main problem" at Clemson was at QB (not the O-Line). Even then, I'm not even sure I am willing to give up on Tuggle just yet. But my willingness to give the young man another chance vs Wake is not because I think he got a raw deal (per se) in South Carolina. Instead, its because I really don't see that much improvement out of the others. None of these guys are QBs as far as I'm concerned. We are picking the lesser of 4 evils.

If Spaz starts Tuggle, I'm not going to be upset. If he starts Shinksie or even Marscovetra, I'm not going to be upset. I really don't care who he start. I just want the team to win.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby joemack13 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:51 pm

you're right! how can the o-line be expected to perform with such crappy QBs!
joemack13
Campion Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:56 pm

I don't care how good or bad the QB is--if you don't have an offensive line that can run and pass block then it doesn't matter. DD was God- awful but he still was able to game-manage us to two wins BECAUSE he got some protection when he passed and we had a running game. Name a QB, any QB at all-that could have done anything when 3 Clemson defenders are in your face in 0.5 seconds after the snap. We could have had Tom Brady or Matt Ryan back there and it wouldn't matter because Matty Ice would spend most of the day on the grass right after the snap. As proof of that, let's talk about the running game. Montel and Josh ran well last year behind good run blocking by the Oline. This year against Clemson--zippo yards running--because we had no run blocking. Does their running output against Clemson make them "poor" running backs. NO. Give them some room and they will run just like last year. We need to tackle the Oline problem first before we can even evaluate the QB's. The QB's may in fact all suck but I can't tell because they never got a chance to execute their assignments because 3 Clemson guys were hanging on them every play.
Last edited by 1981Eagle on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby tallsy on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:57 pm

It certainly bothers me that these guys don't seem to realize the problem at OLine. If they were out there saying we need to fix Oline AND QB, I might not agree but it would certainly be possible they're seeing something I don't. The fact that they're laying it all at the QB is worrying and they are in over their heads.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:14 pm

someone send spaz the link to ATL's blog.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:21 pm

there are two simple answers to the media spin.

A. They know the line is the problem but admitting it fully publicly would point the blame at the coaches for screwing up a good thing

or

B. They really do think QB is the issue.

We are screwed either way but I hope it it A. Then there is at least a chance we will win. TOB never met an excuse or a scapegoat he didn't like but even he could get 6 wins out of this talent.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:24 pm

It's true with the line play that we should be getting and the surrounding talent we have a pretty awesome team. If only :tranq could stay awake until halftime in his old age.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:35 pm

AtlEagle,

The media is not spinning anything. Quarterback has been THE PROBLEM since the first day of camp. If it wasn't THE PROBLEM, then we would have had a starter named by week one (or at least by week three.)

We still don't have a definative starter named. That is because the coaches know what they have known since day one, we don't have a QB.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:45 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:AtlEagle,

The media is not spinning anything. Quarterback has been THE PROBLEM since the first day of camp. If it wasn't THE PROBLEM, then we would have had a starter named by week one (or at least by week three.)

We still don't have a definative starter named. That is because the coaches know what they have known since day one, we don't have a QB.

Was Justin Tuggle the reason we only netted 54 yards? How did GT put up yards on Clemson when their QB went 3-14 with 2 INTs? We have a weakness (QB). We have strengths (running QB, running backs, offensive line). Did our gameplan maximize our strengths? Did our gameplan catch Clemson off guard? Did our offense look well prepared in any aspect?
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium