Is Spaz ready to declare the Tuggle era over?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Is Spaz ready to declare the Tuggle era over?

Postby HJS on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:05 pm

That was quick... rumor has it that Shinskie practiced with the first team this week and Spaz is essentially giving him his turn at the wheel. You know... since the only reason we lost last week was because of Tuggle and all.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:21 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:That was quick... rumor has it that Shinskie practiced with the first team this week and Spaz is essentially giving him his turn at the wheel. You know... since the only reason we lost last week was because of Tuggle and all.

thats right - because 2 fumbles is better than 3 ints

Look... I'm not a Shinskie or Tuggle hater. I think neither are very good. I think Shinskie throws a better ball and Tuggle is right now more comfortable under center. I really don't care who sees time, so long as we win. Personally, I'd give Tuggle the time because I think he is more capable of "managing the offense". If I was looking for someone to affirmatively win us the game, I may take Shinskie instead. But, I kinda view it more as a coin toss type of thing.

That said... I think it is absolute horsecrap that Spaz/Tranq are trying to blame a 19 year old for their shortcomings. Not at all surprised that they are doing it... but, still think it sucks. Scapegoating Tuggle for :tranq being 3 decades past his prime is unfortunately what everyone who hated the Spaz hire feared would happen by bringing in Toby-lite.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:41 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:That was quick... rumor has it that Shinskie practiced with the first team this week and Spaz is essentially giving him his turn at the wheel. You know... since the only reason we lost last week was because of Tuggle and all.

thats right - because 2 fumbles is better than 3 ints

well, 2 < 3 ????? :spaz2
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby bcfan1972 on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:44 pm

I was really disgusted with the offensive line, not only was Tuggle getting people in his face before he had a chance ot look ddownfield, our runnin ggame was completely shut down also.
bcfan1972
Carney Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:44 pm

Were both fumbles turnovers? Not that is matters, one is not acceptable for me, just curious if Shinskie turned the ball over twice.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby talon on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:46 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Were both fumbles turnovers? Not that is matters, one is not acceptable for me, just curious if Shinskie turned the ball over twice.

sounds like you didn't watch the game.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:48 pm

I did not watch the first half. The last play I saw in the first half was BC's wonderful interception. Then I had to do family/daddy stuff, went to Costco.

So no, I didn't see the first half. I saw Spaz's interview about not getting a first down and the whole second half. I don't know the outcome of the Shinskie fumbles. That is why I'm asking.
Last edited by innocentbystander on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:48 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Were both fumbles turnovers? Not that is matters, one is not acceptable for me, just curious if Shinskie turned the ball over twice.

No, Cleary jumped on one. But the fumble where he pulled out from behind center way before the snap was indicative of how he was feeling back there. He was scared shitless.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby MoMoneyBC on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:51 pm

Kind of hard to watch the game when it isn't on fucking tv. What a joke the broadcasting schedule has been thus far.
MoMoneyBC
Carney Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:52 pm

No, Cleary jumped on one. But the fumble where he pulled out from behind center way before the snap was indicative of how he was feeling back there. He was scared shitless.

Well, you know, that is just great. I'm with '74, go get Marco Polo.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:53 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:

well, when your OL is forced to rely on "naps and cookies" instead of coaching and then is left out there to shit themselves, what do you expect? i'm sure not getting enough reps hurt the timing on the snap as did prob the crowd noise in death valley. :spaz3 needs to decide on a QB and then give them all the snaps in practice. this carousel bs isnt working... personally, i still prefer shinskie. i'm not saying tuggle is bad but i think shinskie has a higher upside.

of course, the choice of QB is irrelevant if the OL doesnt get their shit together.
Last edited by hansen on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:55 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}: go get Marco Polo.

apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:57 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

well, when your OL is forced to rely on "naps and cookies" instead of coaching and then is left out there to shit themselves, what do you expect? i'm sure not getting enough reps hurt the timing on the snap as did prob the crowd noise in death valley. if :spaz4 needs to decided on a QB and then give them all the snaps in practice. this carousel bs isnt working... personally, i still prefer shinskie. i'm not saying tuggle is bad but i think shinskie has a higher upside.

of course, the choice of QB is irrelevant if the OL doesnt get their shit together.

I haven't seen enough of either of them to say one way or the other. But at least during the Clemson game, Tuggle at least looked poised. Shinskie just looked flat out scared.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby billyshelby on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:58 pm

Where is the mention that of the passes thrown, there was like 8 bombs? Coaching 101 with a young QB is to put him in position to be successful. Throwing on non passing downs is one way to do it, but the other way is to build his confidence with shorter, high percentage passes--quick slants, screens, bootlegs with a single read and the fallback option to run, etc. They could also stack one side of the field with a few reads in proximity using the far side receiver as pure decoy to simplify the game for him. We didn't see any of that. When he had to pass, it was always a passing down and the designed play was to make the hardest throw possible. Idiocy.
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:00 pm

billyshelby {l Wrote}:Where is the mention that of the passes thrown, there was like 8 bombs? Coaching 101 with a young QB is to put him in position to be successful. Throwing on non passing downs is one way to do it, but the other way is to build his confidence with shorter, high percentage passes--quick slants, screens, bootlegs with a single read and the fallback option to run, etc. They could also stack one side of the field with a few reads in proximity using the far side receiver as pure decoy to simplify the game for him. We didn't see any of that. When he had to pass, it was always a passing down and the designed play was to make the hardest throw possible. Idiocy.

i agree, :tranq sucks.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:03 pm

apbc12,

I really don't care who the QB is since I don't think much of any of them. I just want BC to beat Wake Forest by a point. I don't care how they get it done.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby BCWest on Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:01 pm

talon {l Wrote}:http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/sep/22/new-look-boston-college-may-start-a-different-quar/sports/

Spaziani left open the possibility that a new quarterback will start against Wake Forest. The most obvious replacements are Dave Shinskie, a 25-year-old freshman who has completed 17 of 27 passes for 185 yards, Mike Marscovetra, a freshman who has completed three of four passes for 21 yards and Codi Boek, a transfer who has completed two of four passes for 18 yards.

"The quarterback situation is certainly problematic," Spaziani said. "We have to address it in the long term and try to do what's best for the football team.

"This one isn't easy."

Yes I think he is. I do not think he has ever liked him. I think Spaz made up his mind on Tuggle a long time ago. Nor did he want Davis. I am not saying I agree.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby joemack13 on Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:16 pm

I feel bad for Tuggle. The coaches basically set him up to fail.
joemack13
Campion Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:41 pm

talon {l Wrote}:

sounds like you didn't watch the game.

Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:28 pm

Giving Shinskie the start is the exact opposite of what we should be doing at QB. I say keep Tuggle as the starter, give him another game to prove himself and show his stuff against a conference opponent. Move Marscovetra up to the number two spot on the depth chart and give him a chance. Frankly, Shinskie was the worst last weekend and needs to learn how to play football again before he's given the starting job.

:angrychicken
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:25 am

RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby talon on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:33 am

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:I wouldn't expect anything less than this cowardly move:

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2009/09/24/new_option_at_qb_shot_for_shinskie/

which one of you is SailsRep?

Great job by Coach Spaz and Tranquil. I love how they've been instilling confidence in the kids on this team so far. After last week's tough and close loss to Clemson, it was clear that the kids just didn't perform at the level the coaches have asked of them. The Offensive Line's lack of adaptability to the Clemson schemes points to laziness. The youth and inexperience of the line is something that great coaches cannot change overnight. I'm hopeful that this great staff will impart their teachings upon those kids and get them to perform to at a higher level - and not at a level you might expect from so many young, new, and inexperienced kids.

Apart from the OLine being left barren and ineffective by Coach Jags, the main reason they couldn't perform up to standards was because of the horrible QB effort. Coach Tranq's innovative playcalling was completely negated by the poor performance by Tuggle. After failing to complete even simple swing passes for 4 yards on multi-consecutive 3rd and 12's, they should have pulled him for his ineffectivenesss. Also, this poor effort completely messed up the OLine for the remainder of the game. How do you block when you know your QB can't complete a pass?

On another note, let's hope the return of McGlaughlin helps the DECIMATED Defense. Just think if they could have made a few stops last week, BC would have won that game. It seems like very time I looked Clemson was scoring! I was very disappointed with them, but then again they've lost a lot of bodies out there.

Let's hope that a much needed change of QB and some better effort by the lazy kids on this team turns this thing around. Coaches Spaz, Tranquil, and OLine Coach Sean Devine are top-notch leaders. These kids need to unplug their ears and learn from the best. Take Spaz's motivational speeches and light a fire in your bodies! No other coach has his fire and experience - Edsall, London, Bicknell Jr, Logan, Skip Holtz, and on down the line. None of them had "it!" Gene made the right choice - now it's time for the team to do their part!
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:46 am

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:I wouldn't expect anything less than this cowardly move:

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2009/09/24/new_option_at_qb_shot_for_shinskie/

if :spaz2 had planned on shinskie being the QB from the start, then why not give him more QB snaps at practice last week with the first team and why not play him more at clemson? :gun if you're going to work a guy back into football, then this is a case study in how NOT to do it. disgustiad.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:51 am

Spaz is an idiot. If you want the team to be decent now, and a caretaker for the Rettig administration, you roll with Tuggle and run some plays that are designed for him. If you think Shinskie is going to shake off that pile of rust and be the QB of the future, you let him play and take your lumps.

If you are a complete fucktard, you do both and it sucks. Personally, I like mobile QBs. BC is the only school in the country that would prefer a stiff with a good arm over an athlete with a decent arm. Still playing football in the 80s.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:57 am

If this is what we can expect from the OLine, then you gotta go with the mobile guy.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:03 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Spaz is an idiot. If you want the team to be decent now, and a caretaker for the Rettig administration, you roll with Tuggle and run some plays that are designed for him. If you think Shinskie is going to shake off that pile of rust and be the QB of the future, you let him play and take your lumps.

If you are a complete fucktard, you do both and it sucks. Personally, I like mobile QBs. BC is the only school in the country that would prefer a stiff with a good arm over an athlete with a decent arm. Still playing football in the 80s.

I am sincerely worried that if the Clemson performance (by both Offense and O Staff) continues, Rettig will back out of his commitment. If that happens, (insert head exploding GIF here).
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby joemack13 on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:05 am

I wouldn't want to play QB for BC after watching the Clemson game... I'll be shocked if he doesn't go somewhere else
joemack13
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:05 am

Continued perception of piss poor QB play is going to do nothing but make Rettig want to come here faster.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby joemack13 on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:07 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Continued perception of piss poor QB play is going to do nothing but make Rettig want to come here faster.

yea but what if he actually watched the game...
joemack13
Campion Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:07 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Continued perception of piss poor QB play is going to do nothing but make Rettig want to come here faster.

If he's smart enough to know that the OLine is not going to protect him and the coaching staff is going to throw him under the bus, then he could re-think things.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium