Some thoughts on the game

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Some thoughts on the game

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:26 pm

1. O'Neal and Davis are freaking huge. I mean really huge. And O'Neal is a speed guy while Davis is a run stuffer. Good signs for the future with those two.

2. I really like Larmond and Lee. I think we could have two premiere WRs in a couple of years.

3. The Harris/Haden combination is fantastic. That said, Finch was an eye opener today. Holy crap on that big run. A juke and major speed for a guy with thighs bigger than my fat ass waist.

4. Tuggle is the best QB at seeing the field, checking off receivers and finding the open man. Shinskie has the best arm, but he has Crane like tendencies, holding the ball, staring down receivers, and not seeing open guys. Marscovetra and Boek look like decent backups, but neither threw more than 5 yards.

5. The starting line played great, and Goodman is going to be a great one. The back up need some work.

6. Pantale, all-ACC TE in a couple of years. Mark it down.

7. Kuechly, whose name has a weird ass pronunciation, is freaking sick. I remember saying about Toal and Herzy, "Damn, that dude is so fast and he is in on ever play." Feel the same way about Kuechly. He will be a starter even when Thompson and McLaughlin return to take the other two spots.

8. Still not sure how Gause beat out Fletcher at field corner. Fletcher is by far the better player.

9. BC has two NFL safeties in Bowman and Davis. NFL bodies, NFL speed, NFL smarts. Very impressed.

10. Still surprised that Holloway can't beat out Ramella at end. Ramella is still terrible. He, Newman and Albright are absolute shit at setting the edge in the 4-3. That is a damn must with a real running back.

11. BC is faster than they have ever been. That said, they are small. It is a very good thing that the ACC is not smashmouth.

12. The rest of the ACC sucked today. We have a shot to be decent, gentlemen.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Re: Some thoughts on the game

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Thanks 9!!! :banana :shake
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby TampaDoubleEagle on Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:33 pm

Today was a lot of fun, but I'm not sure we can take much of anything away from it. What I learned most of all is that Northeastern really, really, REALLY sucks.
TampaDoubleEagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:41 pm

You can take a lot out of today's game. For example, Montel Harris and Josh Haden looked a step faster this year. Especially Harris. It's actually not very hard to look at the players and project how they will do against a better team - talent shows.

Today was a reason to be encouraged everywhere. QB is still a question mark, but it is off to a good start.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:46 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:You can take a lot out of today's game. For example, Montel Harris and Josh Haden looked a step faster this year. Especially Harris. It's actually not very hard to look at the players and project how they will do against a better team - talent shows.

Today was a reason to be encouraged everywhere. QB is still a question mark, but it is off to a good start.

I think that Spaz has a choice to make before Clemson and I think Shinskie needs more reps to get comfy.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:50 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:You can take a lot out of today's game. For example, Montel Harris and Josh Haden looked a step faster this year. Especially Harris. It's actually not very hard to look at the players and project how they will do against a better team - talent shows.

I think that Spaz has a choice to make before Clemson and I think Shinskie needs more reps to get comfy.

I couldn't disagree more. Having actually been at the game, Shinskie worries me. Not a good decision maker at this point. Maybe reps fixes this, maybe you just go with the guy that sees the field and can run, Tuggle. I say use both equally until it becomes untenable.

End of the day, I see a ton of upside in Tuggle. He is raw, but if you play him, he could be great in a few years. He doesn't have the confidence of Shinskie throwing, but he is 19, not 37.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby yeahBC on Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:04 am

Can anyone give insight, for those of us who did not watch the game, on Keuchly 11 yard pass reception stat? A misreport, I presume?

Also, in the fourth quarter, BC goes for it on 4th and 7 from the 24 with more than 8 minutes left. Is this simply to not run up the score, or does it maybe have to do with the kicker's range?
yeahBC
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:07 am

yeahBC {l Wrote}:Can anyone give insight, for those of us who did not watch the game, on Keuchly 11 yard pass reception stat? A misreport, I presume?

Also, in the fourth quarter, BC goes for it on 4th and 7 from the 24 with more than 8 minutes left. Is this simply to not run up the score, or does it maybe have to do with the kicker's range?

Obvious mistake.

And you don't kick field goals up 47-0.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:50 am

I noticed we looked smaller, but I thought it was my typical worrying that we are a small squad (unlike when I was there in early 90's and other teams were noticeably bigger)

Definitely looked fast but I will reserve judgment until we play Clemson. This will be the Jags legacy for BC, the recruiting of speed, lets see if it pans out for Spaz the next few years.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:20 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:1. O'Neal and Davis are freaking huge. I mean really huge. And O'Neal is a speed guy while Davis is a run stuffer. Good signs for the future with those two.

Isn't Bryan Davis an OL?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:45 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:1. O'Neal and Davis are freaking huge. I mean really huge. And O'Neal is a speed guy while Davis is a run stuffer. Good signs for the future with those two.

Isn't Bryan Davis an OL?

Okay, I was wrong.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:14 pm

I agree that Tuggle looked better than Shinskie. Disagree on Goodman. He struggled a few times with Northeastern edge guys. ACC DEs would have killed him yesterday. Goodman may be good down the road, but he will be the weak link on this unit.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:28 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I agree that Tuggle looked better than Shinskie. Disagree on Goodman. He struggled a few times with Northeastern edge guys. ACC DEs would have killed him yesterday. Goodman may be good down the road, but he will be the weak link on this unit.

Admittedly, having been focused on the QBs and skill players while watching live, I did not keep an eye on Goodman in the pass game. That said, in the run game he played well, played all day with both units, and both really big runs went to his side.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby C55Eagle04 on Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:52 pm

I thought Tuggle's swing pass to Harris showed real promise. It had great touch and hit Harris in stride.
C55Eagle04
n00b

Postby Eagledom on Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:54 pm

I thought Tuggle and Shinskie both looked ok, but I hope one of them stands out sooner rather than later....we need one definitive starter going into ACC play. Harris looked unbelievable today -- going to be fun to watch he and Haden for 3 more years. Kuechly was all over the place, and the LB corps will be very good when we get Thompson and McLaughlin back. I haven't seen a true freshman make that kind of impact on D since Herzlich.

I question burning of Finch's redshirt. Is he really gonna get enough time if Haden and Harris are healthy to make it worth it?
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby BGGUY80 on Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:41 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:I thought Tuggle and Shinskie both looked ok, but I hope one of them stands out sooner rather than later....we need one definitive starter going into ACC play. Harris looked unbelievable today -- going to be fun to watch he and Haden for 3 more years. Kuechly was all over the place, and the LB corps will be very good when we get Thompson and McLaughlin back. I haven't seen a true freshman make that kind of impact on D since Herzlich.

I question burning of Finch's redshirt. Is he really gonna get enough time if Haden and Harris are healthy to make it worth it?

I agree with you about Finch. With Harris and Haden, both sophomores, ahead of him. I would think it would have made sense to redshirt him.
BGGUY80
n00b

Postby MaxxPower325 on Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:52 am

In terms of size, our safeties in particular and DBs as a whole are very big and physical. Bowman was just killing people out there.

Shinskie was staring down his receivers pretty badly, but he has a terrific arm. Tuggle just looked solid. The consensus of everyone I spoke with is that we are in a much better place at QB than we were at any time last year.

Spoke with Thomas Clairborne after the game for a bit. The players were disappointed that NU didn't offer more of a fight, as it didn't really tell them a lot about themselves. There is definitely some concern about the lack of experience on the OL. Players love Spaz.

Said Hi to Herzlich as well; he is the healthiest looking cancer patient I have ever seen. In great shape and good spirits.
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:22 am

Then & Now

1999: The last meeting between BC and NU. Northeastern was coming off a 5-6 season and went on to go 2-9 that year. Gallup was in his 9th hear as HC. BC was coming off a 4-7 season and went on to go 8-3 that year. It was TOB's 3rd year. Tim Hasselbeck went into the game with a handful of starts under his belt, Cedric Washington was the tailback, and a senior-laden defense had 9 returning starters. Attendance - 42K (Parent's Weekend). Final score, BC 33-22.

2009: Northeastern was coming off a 2-10 season. Hager is in his 6th year as HC. BC is coming off a 9-4 season, and it was Spaz's 2nd game as HC. BC didn't have a QB with one snap of experience, Montel Harris was the tailback, and the defense had 5 returning starters. Attendance - 33K. Final score, BC 54-0.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby tallsy on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:12 am

I was unable to watch the game so this should be taken with than in mind.

I'm worried about what I'm hearing about the DLine. Against good teams it's imperative to keep contain, and free up the linebackers. OTOH, I'm glad to hear that the QB play was solid. That changes my perspective on offensive expectations.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium