The offensive line is the main problem not QB

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: The offensive line is the main problem not QB

Postby talon on Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:07 am

During that hour long weather delay, the team could have watched every single play from scrimmage on O about ten times.

What happened in the lockerroom? Halftime is usually 15 minutes, no? THEY HAD FOUR HALFTIMES worth of time to figure out how to make some changes.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby AguilaFan on Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:24 am

OmariWalker {l Wrote}:It's not Tranquill's fault. Are you kidding. My question mark button doesn't work btw.

Try this until it is fixed. Hold down the Alt key and on the NUMERIC key pad hit 63 and release Alt. You should have the ?.

If a keyboard (not notebook) hold it upside down tap on it a couple of times. Wiggle it back and forth. Most of the time small debris will get under it, staples, crumbs, etc.

Go here: http://tinyurl.com/5bzfs3
Last edited by AguilaFan on Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AguilaFan
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:30 am

Sophistry {l Wrote}:What is so disappointing is that the commentary here is so understood, except by the guys that need to implement or coach it. Anyway this gets nailed to the coaches door, as our list of grievances (no historical reference intended). :pontif

Yet another BC GUY stroke of brilliance.

We had a 2 year break in Jags and he and Logan knew. We were solid except for the 2 games after we were 8-0 and Spaz's defense was lit up and he rarely blitzed, but not all his fault.

The old GDF/TOBLUNDERS0-12/SPAZ regime, well, they know better.

I predicted 3-9 and after 50 yards of offense, I pray we are not 2-10.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby 1413overut on Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:57 am

Sorry, but this is a bs excuse. We supposedly had one of the best OLs in the conference with 3 All-ACC players returning and only one new starter. On top of that our guys are supposed to be smarter than the average player.

It takes more than a learning curve to explain that putid performance.

Probably, but quote Costanzo:
"It’s just frustrating looking back after a game and saying, ‘Why didn’t (we) let it loose instead of thinking too much?’
"It was very different from what we had seen on film,” said Castonzo.

He's telling you he doesn't get it yet. For one they are smarter, so it is fair to ask about the system. Yeah, I'm not happy with Tranquill but IMHO they were overrated last year. And despite the pixels of expertise above, a 3 on 1 is a symptom of "we don't get it".
1413overut
n00b

Postby DrPeterV on Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:01 am

O-line played terrible, but even when he had time, Struggle couldn't make the throw. So many missed passes. Either didn't lead or threw it waaaay too high.
DrPeterV
Carney Hall

Postby Dirtywater75 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:20 am

The offensive line and coaches all just need a big nap and some milk and cookies and everything will be alright. I cannot believe Spaz allowed himself to be filmed like he was some kind of Vince Lombardi before he accomplished anything as a HC.

Next game is critical. If we don't have a decent QB and OL, for whatever reason, it will be truly hopeless. I am very nervous since these guys had so much time during the game to make adjustments.

Opening the season against cupcakes is dangerous. You don't learn anything.

At this level, I would never have rolled the dice on anyone who did not have college head coaching experience. Spaz is indeed a nice guy, Jags had NFL experience, etc. - all meaningless. You get an aggressive guy with a winning track record at a lesser program who succeeded running a show and looks to BC as a step up. It would be interesting to see a list of highly successful Div 1 head coaches and the previous job they held to see if there is any truth to this.
Dirtywater75
Carney Hall

Postby Snooptonydog on Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:02 pm

Special props to ATLeagle. This pic says it all. What's wrong with this picture? It's like Junior High all over again where the QB has to go up and tap his Guard on his butt to tell him - ummm.... please fill in said gaping hole. Of note, I like how they have 2 small backs back there to help block. Harris and Haden can't pick up blitzes! WTF? Are you trying to get Harris injured trying to stop a DT steamrolling in? At least 1of them back there should have size.

Snooptonydog
Carney Hall

Postby h2o on Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:22 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
Snooptonydog {l Wrote}:Give the O-line coach a break. It's not like he had a lot of time to make adjustments at halftime. Or after the 1st lightning delay.... or after the second lightning delay.....

Yeah 1 hour + to get to a blackboard or communicate in Sanskrit, the language Tranquill knew as a child, was too much to ask for guys who graduate 100% of the time and how about hit the motherfucker in front of you and if you see a blitz try and help out?

Is that fucking too difficult?

Hey we need a tight end to pick up or/and chip an outside blitzer and release into the flat for a quick huge gainer where the LB came from?

Hey RB's if you see a blitz, block and release into an open flat if the TE is not there?

WTF is this some mystery rocket science or Lesbian studies about the clitoris functions?

Tuggle can't execute or read, GLBT is a fossil fuck idiot, Spaz was a loser 10 years ago, and only a miracle like Marco Polo becoming Ryan overnight will solve all problems.

h2o
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:29 pm

Snooptonydog {l Wrote}:Special props to ATLeagle. This pic says it all. What's wrong with this picture? It's like Junior High all over again where the QB has to go up and tap his Guard on his butt to tell him - ummm.... please fill in said gaping hole. Of note, I like how they have 2 small backs back there to help block. Harris and Haden can't pick up blitzes! WTF? Are you trying to get Harris injured trying to stop a DT steamrolling in? At least 1of them back there should have size.

Even a old, slow fat fuck ---namely me ----could run right with a easy cross block and make 10 yards before i needed a double cheeseburger for energy.

Lord save me.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby AguilaFan on Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:59 pm

Looking back, the D really kicking ass during spring and during summer should have been a real big clue some bad shit was going on with the Oline.

We know the D was awesome last year and promised to be good this year. The D's performance during summer was a good sign. Spaz was getting benefit of the doubt. Some of you knew Tranq was a bad choice, but also gave him some slack. You were right on the former.

Whoever had the brilliant idea to get the fossil out of retirement and give us Ghosts of Dana visitations, should be the brunt of our criticisms, whether GDF or Spaz. My gut says it wasn't Spaz. The Oline was great last year. I do not blame the players for this Titanic.

Add 2 rookie QBs that don't know how to read yet and Clem showing a different D.
AguilaFan
Carney Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:33 pm

why did we even switch from a zone blocking scheme. Dumbass move. We have 4 starters returning. 3 were all acc. They know how to dominate with the zone blocking. Wouldn't it be a great idea to change things up?! Hell no. I want to remain optimistic, maybe we'll change things up and go back to what we know how to do but honestly that was awful. The lineman were just lost in the man to man. I don't want to give up yet but it's tough.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:01 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:why did we even switch from a zone blocking scheme. Dumbass move. We have 4 starters returning. 3 were all acc. They know how to dominate with the zone blocking. Wouldn't it be a great idea to change things up?! Hell no. I want to remain optimistic, maybe we'll change things up and go back to what we know how to do but honestly that was awful. The lineman were just lost in the man to man. I don't want to give up yet but it's tough.

Tranquill said he hates words that begin wth the letter Z and he was once in the Twilight Zone and it gives him recurring nightmares.

Great, great post... :banana

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:40 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:why did we even switch from a zone blocking scheme.

Because old people like to challenge themselves mentally to stay sharp. Most try sudoku puzzles. Our old timer fiddles with offensive lines.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:49 pm

Since BC is somewhat famous for being O-Line U, this was an embarrassing performance to that legacy. I, for one, was expecting that our O-line was going to be a strong point and allow us to have a consistent running game while our QB's developed. I guess we can throw out that idea. One of the worst offensive performances by a BC football team in my 40 years as a fan. I am really concerned about whether we can will have a winning record or make a bowl unless we see some dramatic improvement on offense and special teams.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:00 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:why did we even switch from a zone blocking scheme.

Because old people like to challenge themselves mentally to stay sharp. Most try sudoku puzzles. Our old timer fiddles with offensive lines.

I am on the fucking floor. That was the fucking bomb along with the George Welsh Coaching tree thread.

Two pieces of 100 star laughter and pure witty genius. :lol:

Thanks guys, I needed that.

This site is simply the most perfect of all Group Therapy sessions for those who truly need it, and for those who would never understand why they all need it, until its is gone.

Here is the world's core epicenter of anger management, marital counseling, relationship development, parenting, spousal abuse, psychiatric mocking, food worship, higher academic development, stalking, sports, sex, nudity, religion, politics and solving the all important mystery of the clitoris.

We are the premier think tank for solving all the world's problems, issues and the entire world including including West Virginia, looks to us for the solutions to guide America and Vietnam.

I am proud to be amongst this cast collection of the greatest minds known to man!

You have my undying loyalty and my entire collection of S&H Green Stamps books from the 1950's - 1960's since Safeway went out of buiness in 1966 and we were saving up for that Philco color TV.

I love you guys.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:53 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
1413overut {l Wrote}:Clemson threw multiple defensive looks at the line. As the OL was quoted, many they had not seen on film.
That's the classic way of sticking it to a new O. You can have talent but an OL will not be at its best if they are unsure of who to block. That's not Tranquill's fault - yet. One of the reasons OLinemen don't appear overnight they need at least a season in a system to become fully confident.

It was Tranq's decision to take a unit that was very experienced, successful and confident in a system and have them learn a new system .Plus, two years ago, we installed a new system with less experience on the line and while there was certainly that hesitancy, mental mistakes and inconsistency with their play as they learned, it didn't go this poorly.

Someone screwed up.

wasn't one of :tranq biggest selling points is that he molds the system to the players and not the other way around? who the fxck perpetuated that lie?
Last edited by hansen on Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:54 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
1413overut {l Wrote}:Clemson threw multiple defensive looks at the line. As the OL was quoted, many they had not seen on film.
That's the classic way of sticking it to a new O. You can have talent but an OL will not be at its best if they are unsure of who to block. That's not Tranquill's fault - yet. One of the reasons OLinemen don't appear overnight they need at least a season in a system to become fully confident.

It was Tranq's decision to take a unit that was very experienced, successful and confident in a system and have them learn a new system .Plus, two years ago, we installed a new system with less experience on the line and while there was certainly that hesitancy, mental mistakes and inconsistency with their play as they learned, it didn't go this poorly.

Someone screwed up.

wasn't one of Tranquil's biggest selling points is that he molds the system to the players and not the other way around? who the fxck perpetuated that lie?

I thought :tranq 's selling point was that he was around when the forward pass was invented.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:55 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Someone screwed up.

wasn't one of Tranquil's biggest selling points is that he molds the system to the players and not the other way around? who the fxck perpetuated that lie?

I thought of that as well. If that's what he does, then why would he look at the strongest unit of offense and decide to change it up?
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Snooptonydog on Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:46 pm

I am posting just for posting sake in order to keep this wonderful thread alive - up at the top - on page 1 of our Board.....
Snooptonydog
Carney Hall

Postby Eagledom on Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:56 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Someone screwed up.

I thought of that as well. If that's what he does, then why would he look at the strongest unit of offense and decide to change it up?

Do we know Tranquil is the one that fucked with the offensive line scheme?
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:53 pm

I don't get why :tranq uses power zone blocking when it requires a good fullback and we don't even have one fullback. Go back to the old system.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Snooptonydog on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:18 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:I don't get why :tranq uses power zone blocking when it requires a good fullback and we don't even have one fullback. Go back to the old system.

That's what I mean. We don't have an FB or an RB who can pick-up blitzing DL or even LBs.
Snooptonydog
Carney Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:49 pm

1413overut {l Wrote}:
Sorry, but this is a bs excuse. We supposedly had one of the best OLs in the conference with 3 All-ACC players returning and only one new starter. On top of that our guys are supposed to be smarter than the average player.

It takes more than a learning curve to explain that putid performance.

Probably, but quote Costanzo:
"It’s just frustrating looking back after a game and saying, ‘Why didn’t (we) let it loose instead of thinking too much?’
"It was very different from what we had seen on film,” said Castonzo.

He's telling you he doesn't get it yet. For one they are smarter, so it is fair to ask about the system. Yeah, I'm not happy with Tranquill but IMHO they were overrated last year. And despite the pixels of expertise above, a 3 on 1 is a symptom of "we don't get it".

Castonzo is literally a genius. If he isn't picking up the scheme, there's a problem with the scheme. This is a dude who was able to win a starting job as a 255 lb true freshman primarily because he was able to master the zone blocking system practically overnight.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium