The offensive line is the main problem not QB

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

The offensive line is the main problem not QB

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:28 am

http://atleagle.blogspot.com/2009/09/how-to-ruin-best-oline-in-acc-part-1.html

I don't know who is to blame but the offensive line is beyond lost. Outside of Lapham, the other guys are not losing battles due to talent. They don't know what the hell they are doing. Today was a grab bag of schemes. Tranq and or Devine need to cut the shit and go all zone or all man. This half and half means we don't do anything well. I have no faith in Spaz since he hired Tranq and let Day bring in his UNH buddies. If Day is really the OC in waiting, he needs to speak up and take control of things. As Dana Bible showed, having a playbook the size of a phonebook is useless if you can't really execute.

The defense replaced key parts and are playing guys who have never seen the field yet were fine. Why? Because McG and Siravo are using the same scheme, the same drills and know how to coach it.

Today was on coaching and SpaOB failed his first big test. But then again it took TOB three years before he came around. Too bad Spaz will be 66 in three years.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Re: The offensive line is the main problem not QB

Postby Cadillac90 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:33 am

ATL: you are wise man. Today was disgraciad on all fronts but mainly the offensive line.
:toby
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:36 am

AtlantaEagle,

There are far too many "main problems" on the offense to say it was the offensive line. We don't have a QB, haven't had one for two years. That is main problem number one. Our tailbacks get tackled behind the line of scrimmage. That is main problem number 2. Our receivers drop the very few passes that they could catch. That is main problem number 3. Oh, and our offensive line looks like they never played football before in their life. That is main problem number 4. The coverage on the punts are shit. Main problem number 5. Our field goal kicker is not all that accurate beyond the 20 yard line. Main problem number 6. Our offensive coordinator keeps refusing to talk to one of President Obama's death panels and be converted to Soylent Green. Main problem number 7. Etc....

There are just too many problems here. This is a 6-6 year. Lets hope Rettig watched this game and is convinced he'll start as a true frosh.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby billyshelby on Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:36 am

Why would you excuse Lapham. As I recall, he got beat several times.
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:41 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:AtlantaEagle,

There are far too many "main problems" on the offense to say it was the offensive line. We don't have a QB, haven't had one for two years. That is main problem number one. Our tailbacks get tackled behind the line of scrimmage. That is main problem number 2. Our receivers drop the very few passes that they could catch. That is main problem number 3. Oh, and our offensive line looks like they never played football before in their life. That is main problem number 4. The coverage on the punts are shit. Main problem number 5. Our field goal kicker is not all that accurate beyond the 20 yard line. Main problem number 6. Our offensive coordinator keeps refusing to talk to one of President Obama's death panels and be converted to Soylent Green. Main problem number 7. Etc....

There are just too many problems here. This is a 6-6 year. Lets hope Rettig watched this game and is convinced he'll start as a true frosh.

WTF are you talking about? Averaging 1 yard a carry falls squarely on the offensive line, nothing else.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:41 am

Last year, I believe it was at Auburn, the offensive cooredinator was fired 4 or 5 games into the season because the players did not adapt to the spread offense. I know Spaz won't fire his crony Grandpa Tranquil or Sean "I shit the bed" Devine. But both need to be put on a tight leash and either go back to the zone blocking scheme, which at least was far more succesful last year than what we saw the oline attempt today, or resign. I still do not understand what Spaz's problem was withthe offense last year but then again I think the guy is in a time warp.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby billyshelby on Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:59 am

GreenvilleEagle {l Wrote}:Last year, I believe it was at Auburn, the offensive cooredinator was fired 4 or 5 games into the season because the players did not adapt to the spread offense. I know Spaz won't fire his crony Grandpa Tranquil or Sean "I shit the bed" Devine. But both need to be put on a tight leash and either go back to the zone blocking scheme, which at least was far more succesful last year than what we saw the oline attempt today, or resign. I still do not understand what Spaz's problem was withthe offense last year but then again I think the guy is in a time warp.

BC is not interested in performance. Or talent. Only loyalty.
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall

Postby tallsy on Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:05 am

I agree that Oline is the fundamental problem. If you have confidence in Tranquill (which I don't) then you should RichRod it and take the 3-9. If this is a waiting game for Day, stick with the zone scheme until you have your guys. The current method just seems to be an attempt to get to 6-6.

Although all this aside, I saw enough throws from Tuggle without pressure to know that I'm praying Rettig is a savior next year.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:08 am

billyshelby {l Wrote}:Why would you excuse Lapham. As I recall, he got beat several times.

I believe he's saying Lapham doesn't have the talent, but the other guys do and are getting beat.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MaxxPower325 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:32 am

I believe he's saying Lapham doesn't have the talent, but the other guys do and are getting beat.[/quote]

I read it the same way.

While Tuggle's arm was exposed, the o-line needs to be fixed before anything else can even be considered. We know we have talented RBs and decent WRs (though not so much yesterday), but nothing will happen until we can prevent 2-3 opposing jerseys 4 yards in the backfield on every play. Elway would have been 8-30 yesterday.
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby CTEagle on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:36 am

I realize that we play 12 one-game seasons. But Jesus. Can we try some decaf? No one's saying we didn't suck yesterday. But our coaches aren't going to Aruba this week on vacation. They'll figure out something. We can beat Wake. We're home, our D is good.
CTEagle
n00b

Postby OmariWalker on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:41 am

CTEagle {l Wrote}:I realize that we play 12 one-game seasons. But Jesus. Can we try some decaf? No one's saying we didn't suck yesterday. But our coaches aren't going to Aruba this week on vacation. They'll figure out something. We can beat Wake. We're home, our D is good.

What did you see that makes you think we could beat Wake
OmariWalker
Carney Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:51 am

The fact that our line is this experienced and played this terribly is inexcusable. They should never have been an issue this season, given how well they've played in the past and the fact that we have 3 guys on it who will play Sundays.

Someone screwed up big time.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby 1413overut on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:54 am

Clemson threw multiple defensive looks at the line. As the OL was quoted, many they had not seen on film.
That's the classic way of sticking it to a new O. You can have talent but an OL will not be at its best if they are unsure of who to block. That's not Tranquill's fault - yet. One of the reasons OLinemen don't appear overnight they need at least a season in a system to become fully confident.
1413overut
n00b

Postby gallopingghost on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:04 am

I fully anticipated that the QB would struggle, but I thought that the running game and the O line would be the strong point. I was truly shocked at how bad they were. That being said, we should cut Tuggle some slack. Remember Matty's first game, he did not exactly dominate. Crane looked pretty bad against GT last year but he eventually came around and was OK.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby OmariWalker on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:06 am

1413overut {l Wrote}:Clemson threw multiple defensive looks at the line. As the OL was quoted, many they had not seen on film.
That's the classic way of sticking it to a new O. You can have talent but an OL will not be at its best if they are unsure of who to block. That's not Tranquill's fault - yet. One of the reasons OLinemen don't appear overnight they need at least a season in a system to become fully confident.

It's not Tranquill's fault. Are you kidding. My question mark button doesn't work btw. If it is anyone's fault it is Dumbo's. It's not Devine and it's not the OLine, which was the best in the ACC four weeks ago. No screens, no draws, no playaction nothing at all to keep the Clemson D off balanced. It's not that hard to blow up the the line, exotic schemes and all, when you know its either going to be a run left, right or straight.
OmariWalker
Carney Hall

Postby MaxxPower325 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:13 am

1413overut {l Wrote}:Clemson threw multiple defensive looks at the line. As the OL was quoted, many they had not seen on film.

Sorry, but this is a bs excuse. We supposedly had one of the best OLs in the conference with 3 All-ACC players returning and only one new starter. On top of that our guys are supposed to be smarter than the average player.

It takes more than a learning curve to explain that putid performance.
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:16 am

It was Tranq's decision to take a unit that was very experienced, successful and confident in a system and have them learn a new system .Plus, two years ago, we installed a new system with less experience on the line and while there was certainly that hesitancy, mental mistakes and inconsistency with their play as they learned, it didn't go this poorly.

Someone screwed up.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:17 am

You can't judge a team after a loss. You judge a team after the they play their next game after a loss. See how they adjust. If we do the same thing, then it's gonna be a crap season, if we come out firing it might be a good season. We will know more after the wake game.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby OmariWalker on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:27 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:You can't judge a team after a loss. You judge a team after the they play their next game after a loss. See how they adjust. If we do the same thing, then it's gonna be a crap season, if we come out firing it might be a good season. We will know more after the wake game.

But you can judge a coaching staff. And my judgement is that Tranq should have stayed in 1977 and Spaz is too much of a pussy to tell him so. Hell, he might even be with him and if thats the case we wont win more then 5 games.
OmariWalker
Carney Hall

Postby Snooptonydog on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:29 am

Gotta agree big time with ATLeagle. I have never freeze-framed plays and slow motioned it to see what the eff was going on with the O-line. Even the Tuggle TD pass. It's like nobody was blocking. They would go left when the Clemson defender went right. There would be 3 guys blocking 1 defender with massive gaping lanes straight to Tuggle. It made absolutely no sense. The Clemson guys were very athletic and fast and just shooting the gaps right off. Were they onto our snap counts? I have no effing idea. Either way - if they are just going to shoot the gaps - then go up the gut early and often. But that didn't work because nobody would bother sealing-off the defensive end. It was God awful.

The only thing I can think of - is they are trying to put in a Pats style philosophy - where you seal a predetermined section of the pocket and QB has to move into the protected zone. Only reason why I think that is I remember the SuperBowl Pats doing that very thing. They would have 3 linemen block 1 guy. But by blocking him - he would get pushed back into his own players coming into rush. Brady would slip into the area - and voila - a perfect cup of a pocket - with the outside rush overpursuing on the outside and the inside sealed off and pushed over so Brady could see the lanes. That takes a lot of football IQ and training. You can't implement something like that in college 100%. There is way too much turnover and there's this distraction called classes.

The only (albeit small difference) is that Light, Mankins, Koppen are all Pro-Bowlers and Brady is at the helm. If things go as planned, you will see Jets defenders running into each other and bouncing off each other and out of their lanes. You will also see 2 Pats O-line sealing off 3 Jets defenders because of how they seal the pocket.

Light seals the entire LOS here because of the zone blocking scheme.
Last edited by Snooptonydog on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snooptonydog
Carney Hall

Postby Snooptonydog on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:31 am

FYI - it didn't help that the entire LB Corps overplayed the middle and came up way too early. But that's what Clemson was doing.

It also helps to have Pro-bowlers. The line of scrimmage has been moved 2 yards forward in these pics.
Last edited by Snooptonydog on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snooptonydog
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:33 am

BOMBER NAILED IT>>>>

It was Tranq's decision to take a unit that was very experienced, successful and confident in a system and have them learn a new system .Plus, two years ago, we installed a new system with less experience on the line and while there was certainly that hesitancy, mental mistakes and inconsistency with their play as they learned, it didn't go this poorly.

Someone screwed up.[/quote]

We need to go to simple blocking and a QB who can point out a blitz or call an audible.

The O-line was awful and where was the in-game adjustments by Spaz, GLBT and the O-line Coach.

That has been my problem with Spaz for 12 years.

Spaz is not a hands-on quick thinker and never will be and neither was Tranquill, but Gary is no threat to take over for Spaz at age 97, so a nice hire by Luigi.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby talon on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:36 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:You can't judge a team after a loss. You judge a team after the they play their next game after a loss. See how they adjust. If we do the same thing, then it's gonna be a crap season, if we come out firing it might be a good season. We will know more after the wake game.

What adjustments were made after halftime?

Or the hour long lightning delay?

Or the second lightning delay?
Last edited by talon on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:36 am

BOMBER NAILED IT>>>>

....AND WE WENT TO 2 ACC TITLE GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ONE WITH GOD DAMN CRANE AND DAVIS!!!!!!!

That is for all those who questioned Jags and Logan and my post on how GDf made a world class blunder!!!!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Snooptonydog on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:37 am

Give the O-line coach a break. It's not like he had a lot of time to make adjustments at halftime. Or after the 1st lightning delay.... or after the second lightning delay.....
Snooptonydog
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:39 am

talon {l Wrote}:

What adjustments were made after halftime?

Or the hour long lightning delay?

Or the second lightning delay?

Talon how stupid can you be....the offensive line had ice cream and cupcakes!!!

I am laughing so hard at this simple factual monster facial that I am crying with the brilliance of the sharp Talon blast job...... :kudos :kudos :kudos :kudos :kudos

WTF WERE THEY DOING IN THERE????

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:44 am

Snooptonydog {l Wrote}:Give the O-line coach a break. It's not like he had a lot of time to make adjustments at halftime. Or after the 1st lightning delay.... or after the second lightning delay.....

Yeah 1 hour + to get to a blackboard or communicate in Sanskrit, the language Tranquill knew as a child, was too much to ask for guys who graduate 100% of the time and how about hit the motherfucker in front of you and if you see a blitz try and help out?

Is that fucking too difficult?

Hey we need a tight end to pick up or/and chip an outside blitzer and release into the flat for a quick huge gainer where the LB came from?

Hey RB's if you see a blitz, block and release into an open flat if the TE is not there?

WTF is this some mystery rocket science or Lesbian studies about the clitoris functions?

Tuggle can't execute or read, GLBT is a fossil fuck idiot, Spaz was a loser 10 years ago, and only a miracle like Marco Polo becoming Ryan overnight will solve all problems.
Last edited by BCEagle74 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Snooptonydog on Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:51 am

Heh heh. "2 hours to get to a blackboard or communicate in Sanskrit - the language Tranquil knew as a child. " Heh heh.

Line of the day.
Snooptonydog
Carney Hall

Postby Sophistry on Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:04 am

What is so disappointing is that the commentary here is so understood, except by the guys that need to implement or coach it. Anyway this gets nailed to the coaches door, as our list of grievances (no historical reference intended). :pontif
Sophistry
Carney Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium