When was the last time the BC offense was that bad?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

When was the last time the BC offense was that bad?

Postby BCWest on Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:10 pm

51 total yards
26 Rushing Yards
25 Passing Yards
4 First downs
1 3rd down conversion
Less than 25% Completion percentage
8% thrid down conversion percentage
Crossed the 50 on their own zero times (the turnover giving BC the field position for the one score).

Think how bad Northeastern's offense looked versus BC. Then realize they beat us in everyone of those categories above.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Re: When was the last time the BC offense was that bad?

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:14 pm

I've never seen anything this pitiful since Ed Chlebek introduced the veer offense. Tranquil should have stayed retired and Devine should be back at UNH.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby BCWest on Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:18 pm

I really do not know of BC offense that was that bad in the past 30 years.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby Logitano on Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:21 pm

BCWest {l Wrote}:I really do not know of BC offense that was that bad in the past 30 years.

It was nice of Spaz to attempt to distance himself form this mess as soon as one half into it. What a piece of shit. It took 5 seconds to find out why the rest of the football world laughed at us for hiring garry tranquill. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby OmariWalker on Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:38 pm

at least it was a balaced attack
OmariWalker
Carney Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:48 pm

OmariWalker {l Wrote}:at least it was a balaced attack

This post was the lone bright spot today. Omari is earning his cheeseburgers. Great username too.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby BigPete on Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:59 pm

I have it on good information the vastly superior Mike Cloud is being kept from posting by Omari Walker; however Omari is a bigtime 'community' guy so he's the starter.
BigPete
McGuinn Hall

Postby Logitano on Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:01 pm

BigPete {l Wrote}:I have it on good information the vastly superior Mike Cloud is being kept from posting by Omari Walker; however Omari is a bigtime 'community' guy so he's the starter.

:whammy
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby h2o on Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:49 pm

In 40+ years following BC football I cannot remember an offense more unprepared to play a game. Nor have I witnessed a worse offensive performance than today. Ever.
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby eagletx on Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:56 pm

Let see, no one capable of playing QB, no OL, no one who was capable of catching a football on the few occasions when it came anywhere near them, No one willing or able to run down field on either punt or KO coverage. I say they were lucky to gain the 56 yards.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby trek152 on Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:00 pm

h2o {l Wrote}:In 40+ years following BC football I cannot remember an offense more unprepared to play a game. Nor have I witnessed a worse offensive performance than today. Ever.

it was even worse than the beginning of the game that has no name (playing for all the marbles and a trip to the Fiesta Bowl)? I seem to remember the offense being absolutely putrid until Matty Ice busted out in the 2nd half?
trek152
Carney Hall

Postby Snooptonydog on Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:03 pm

GreenvilleEagle {l Wrote}:I've never seen anything this pitiful since Ed Chlebek introduced the veer offense. Tranquil should have stayed retired and Devine should be back at UNH.

I nominate this for post of the week. Remember the veer? Ha ha ha what a disaster. All's we did was veer into opposing D Linemen and get demolished. This O-line looked like a veer O-line today.
Snooptonydog
Carney Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:05 pm

h2o {l Wrote}:In 40+ years following BC football I cannot remember an offense more unprepared to play a game. Nor have I witnessed a worse offensive performance than today. Ever.

I thought it couldn't get worse than the VaTech Debacle lead by TOB that created the original schism on EI, but this one tops it by a large margin. Our supposed strength turned into our biggest weakness. I don't know how that happens. Poor coaching has got to be the answer. I already hate Tranquil more than I hated Bible. I didn't think it could be possible, but it happened.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby talon on Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:19 pm

The last time BC was shut out was against VT in 1998.

But in that game, Mutryn was 10-20 for 116 yards and Mike Cloud ran for 186.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby BCWest on Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:56 pm

talon {l Wrote}:The last time BC was shut out was against VT in 1998.

But in that game, Mutryn was 10-20 for 116 yards and Mike Cloud ran for 186.

I think it is pretty fair to say that was one of the worst offensive performances in the history of Boston College football. It might contend for the worst ever.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:08 am

It might contend for the worst ever.

I remember a game vs Army....
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby styoungblood on Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:49 am

“Hats off to the defense,’’ said Clemson coach Dabo Swinney. “They gave up 54 yards, which is the fewest EVER to an ACC team."

We have SERIOUS issues. What a clusterfudge..
styoungblood
n00b

Postby MaxxPower325 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:21 am

Saldly, it ruined a terrific defensive performance.

While Tuggle threw up some prety bad passes, its hard to blame him; he rarely had a chance to even get out from center without a sea of orange in his face. I'm really shocked; I did not expect great things from the offense, but it really did not occur to me that we could be appreciably worse than the DD days.

Is it really all coaching or our line just vastly over-rated? Even my amatuer eyes saw some complete whiffs by our vaunted o-linemen...can that really be Tranquill's fault?
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby Dirtywater75 on Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:09 pm

I have been following pretty regularly since early 70's. You may be right - I cannot recall anything as bad as this. Some bad quarterbacking at times but I don't recall ever having an OL that looked this bad. This was truly a high school performance. And yes - you have to lay this on Spaz and his choice of coaches. The offense was woefully unprepared. They can't be this bad as athletes. Look at how the defense performed.

This was an embarrassment plain and simple and Spaz ought to be having a s**t fit. The problem for Spaz is that he probably can't yell at his OC and his OC probably does not need this job anyway. Just like you should never use a dentist who is your friend you should never hire your friend as an assistant coach. They will probably gang up on Devine.
Dirtywater75
Carney Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:38 am

Dirtywater75 {l Wrote}:I have been following pretty regularly since early 70's. You may be right - I cannot recall anything as bad as this. Some bad quarterbacking at times but I don't recall ever having an OL that looked this bad. This was truly a high school performance. And yes - you have to lay this on Spaz and his choice of coaches. The offense was woefully unprepared. They can't be this bad as athletes. Look at how the defense performed.

This was an embarrassment plain and simple and Spaz ought to be having a s**t fit. The problem for Spaz is that he probably can't yell at his OC and his OC probably does not need this job anyway. Just like you should never use a dentist who is your friend you should never hire your friend as an assistant coach. They will probably gang up on Devine.

statistically, i read in one of today's papers that it was the worst offensive performance since 1980. ugh.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Dirtywater75 on Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:24 pm

What has always driven me to tears over many years following BC is their ability to frequently blow the program changing type of game. However, the chokes were frustrating and only counted as chokes because we were competitive and had a chance to win. Saturday was no choke. We were not competitive offensively due primarily to the offensive line (aka the "lost boys") and secondarily to young quarterbacks who sh**t their pants and wide receivers who failed to focus on basics.
Dirtywater75
Carney Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium