Conference Expansion - PAC 10

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Conference Re-Alignment/Expansion

Postby 1981Eagle on Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:03 pm

TX and TAM to PAC10. Even the AD's don't konow what's going on iin their own conferences. Do you know what SNAFU stands for? How about FUBAR?

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/b ... aaf,221648
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:09 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:TX and TAM to PAC10. Even the AD's don't konow what's going on iin their own conferences. Do you know what SNAFU stands for? How about FUBAR?

An apt last four words: "everyone is flying blind."
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:15 am

GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Conference Expansion - PAC 10

Postby BCWest on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:22 pm

Hearing that as of today, it is ALL about Texas for the Pac 10. The Utah/Colorado thing is lukewarm at best.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Re: Conference Expansion - PAC 10

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:37 pm

How and why would Texas leave for the PAC10 for less money than they receive from the B12 when they can go to the Big Ten and double their conference take?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCWest on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:50 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:How and why would Texas leave for the PAC10 for less money than they receive from the B12 when they can go to the Big Ten and double their conference take?

You are talking about Texas' view (or at least your opinion of Texas' view) on going to the Pac-10. I am strictly talking about what the Pac-10 is thinking.

As for the view from Texas, I have not talked to anyone. But, as for the $$$, if Texas goes to the Pac 10 and brings A&M with them, it is safe to assume the deal the Pac-10 gets will be meaningfully different than the current deal. Texas is extremely rare in that they are NOT about the money. They have a ton of it and no financial issues. Nor will they have any issues regardless of the TV deals or where they go or if they stay. Right now, Texas is in a conference with a per team payout that is below the ACC, Big Ten, SEC, etc. They raise whatever cash they need and it dwarfs any TV money. So for them, it will be much more about how much they like the conference post the moves and they will decide what to do. My guess is $ is not at the top of the list or even close for them.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:57 pm

I never knew you were an 81 alias, West.

EDIT: :chewbanka
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:31 pm

Mods, please move this thread to the Conference Re-Alignment/Expansion thread.

Seriously people. There's a reason it's tacked. :81
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby BCWest on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:26 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:So... I emailed the following to one of my RU buddies: I fondly remember all you RU dirtbags screaming bloody murder over BC moving to the ACC. As Queen Gertrude once said: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Here was the response: It never made sense for a New England team to join a southern conference. And it mattered where they went because they were good, and had committed to helping to build a the new Big East football conference. Rutgers is not good. No one in the Big East is counting of them to stick around to build the conference. So it doesn't matter. What matters is how stupid it is to have a conference called the Big Ten with more than ten teams.

The sad thing here is that no school (except maybe Texas) will get the shit-storm BC received for switching alliances and no conference will similarly be so scorned as the ACC was a few years ago. It is amazing to me.

Suementhal, sueConn, the NY media, etc. all were complete jerks, phonies, etc.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCWest on Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:38 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:I never knew you were an 81 alias, West.

EDIT: :chewbanka

Not sure what that means.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:21 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:TX and TAM to PAC10. Even the AD's don't konow what's going on iin their own conferences. Do you know what SNAFU stands for? How about FUBAR?

bump - 81 was right again!

:couch

"My favorite story that hasn't been written," Luck said. "After Syracuse and Pittsburgh (announced they were leaving for the ACC), that was in the same time frame that Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were playing footsie with (Pac-12 commissioner) Larry (Scott) and the Big East was a mess."

So Luck began cold-calling athletic directors at Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State with a proposal.

"I didn't know those guys from Adam," Luck said. "I knew the schools. I told them, 'Your conference may fall apart. You guys look like you might get left behind. Why don't we take all of you and TCU, which was kind of homeless."

Luck's plan, which also had the support of Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich, was also to add UCF for a 12-team Big East divided into two divisions: West: Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, TCU and Louisville; East: UConn, Cincinnati, Rutgers, West Virginia, South Florida and UCF.

"I remember thinking: 'That's not a bad conference,'" Luck said. "And we would have kept the affiliation with the (Big East) basketball schools, because they loved the addition of Kansas. They (the Big 12 schools) also liked it. They were nervous as hell, too. We had a series of phone calls. That was sort of our best option."

Luck said he had three or four phone discussions with the Big 12 schools. Then-Big East commissioner John Marinatto was not involved in the discussions and no formal offer was extended, but the Big 12 schools -- if left behind by the schools headed to the Pac-12 -- were prepared for the merger.

"At that point in time, we were ready to flip the switch," Currie said.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium