Tuggle will start, Both will play...

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Tuggle will start, Both will play...

Postby Puerto Rico Eagle on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:31 pm

The Globe is reporting that Tuggle will start, but Shinskie will get a drive early... :spaz2 said that he will go with the hot hand after that...
Puerto Rico Eagle
McGuinn Hall

Re: Tuggle will start, Both will play...

Postby DougBushBC on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:33 pm

I know that the standard thought method is that two quarterbacks = zero, but I am sure that Spaz is letting both of them get their reps until one of them shows they are either better or worse than the other. The second one steps ahead he will get to keep it.
DougBushBC
n00b

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:34 pm

Story

Also has a Mclaughlin update:

Defensive co-captain Mike McLaughlin, who is recovering from a torn Achilles Tendon during a workout last March is in full pads this week and will dress for the Clemson game. "He might not get his uniform dirty,'' said Spaziani. "But he will dress. It's up to him. He just has to come back at his own pace and see what he can do.''
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Puerto Rico Eagle on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:35 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Story

Also has a Mclaughlin update:

Defensive co-captain Mike McLaughlin, who is recovering from a torn Achilles Tendon during a workout last March is in full pads this week and will dress for the Clemson game. "He might not get his uniform dirty,'' said Spaziani. "But he will dress. It's up to him. He just has to come back at his own pace and see what he can do.''

Knowing the way Mike plays no way he goes into Death Valley and dosen't play
Puerto Rico Eagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:39 pm

DougBushBC {l Wrote}:I know that the standard thought method is that two quarterbacks = zero, but I am sure that Spaz is letting both of them get their reps until one of them shows they are either better or worse than the other. The second one steps ahead he will get to keep it.

That happened this past weekend. It should be Tuggle time.

That said, I am okay with Shinskie getting an early series. So long as Spaz goes with Tuggle after he plays the way he did last week.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:41 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DougBushBC {l Wrote}:I know that the standard thought method is that two quarterbacks = zero, but I am sure that Spaz is letting both of them get their reps until one of them shows they are either better or worse than the other. The second one steps ahead he will get to keep it.

That said, I am okay with Shinskie getting an early series. So long as Spaz goes with Tuggle after he plays the way he did last week.

Maybe they want to see both in a real game against a real D1 team. But I'm starting to think "neither has separated themselves" translates to "Shinskie hasn't separated himself and we're going to keep him the opportunity to even though Tuggle has been better." I hope I'm over-thinking it.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:42 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Maybe they want to see both in a real game against a real D1 team. But I'm starting to think "neither has separated themselves" translates to "Shinskie hasn't separated himself and we're going to keep him the opportunity to even though Tuggle has been better." I hope I'm over-thinking it.

I agree. It seems to me that everyone except the Globe and the coaching staff thinks Tuggle is better.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:43 pm

Maybe we're just being impatient.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:44 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Maybe we're just being impatient.

Maybe the coaching staff wants Shinskie to win the job just a little too much. Or maybe the Globe is misinterpreting Spaz.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:47 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Maybe we're just being impatient.

Maybe the coaching staff wants Shinskie to win the job just a little too much. Or maybe the Globe is misinterpreting Spaz.

I don't know exactly what they're trying to do or looking for. But eventually, they've got go with one guy more or less in order to let him take control of the offense. I think, more than the article and the quote lets on, they've let that happen. They pretty said that Tuggle has been running the offense and getting the snaps in practice over Shinskie. So maybe this is the old TOB "backup for a series" plan with the option of going with the backup if he looks better than the starter.

I don't want to go down the road of alternating QBs through the season. Spurrier's tried this off and on at USCe and it's a cluster fuck.
Last edited by b0mberMan on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:50 pm

His role right now is more of a back up nature. "He (Tuggle) takes the snaps,'' said Shinskie."I will come in every once in awhile and get some reps with the first team. But you have to go out and practice like you are going to play. I need to start playing faster, make something happen. Either you do it or you will be out of the game.'

This is the most telling section of the article. I think the Globe wants the Shinskie story.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Shredder on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:50 pm

I think this makes sense. Give both QB's, even if one isn't playing that much, some experience against a good conference team in a tough venue because as we've seen in the past, the starter at the beginning of the season isn't always the starter at the end. I'd also like to see more Tuggle for now but there was a point last year when some among us wanted to see more Davis. On the other hand, it's possible we have two capable quarterbacks.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:51 pm

Why would Spaz announce what he is going to do? Why not just STFU and let the Clemson staff try and figure out who they will play the most against?
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:51 pm

Shredder {l Wrote}:I think this makes sense. Give both QB's, even if one isn't playing that much, some experience against a good conference team in a tough venue because as we've seen in the past, the starter at the beginning of the season isn't always the starter at the end. I'd also like to see more Tuggle for now but there was a point last year when some among us wanted to see more Davis. On the other hand, it's possible we have two capable quarterbacks.

I'm suprised you're so comfortable with this, seeing as how you lost the starting QB job twice.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Puerto Rico Eagle on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:01 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:His role right now is more of a back up nature. "He (Tuggle) takes the snaps,'' said Shinskie."I will come in every once in awhile and get some reps with the first team. But you have to go out and practice like you are going to play. I need to start playing faster, make something happen. Either you do it or you will be out of the game.'

This is the most telling section of the article. I think the Globe wants the Shinskie story.

Yeah... I agree, I think everything has been set up for Shinskie to start, but he simply didn't grab the spot. If he stares his recievers down with Clemson it's going to be an INT festival. It will also be intresting to see how he handles a real pass rush and more complicated defensive schemes. I think the fact that he hasn't played in 7 years will really show up on Saturday. Plus, Tuggle's mobility is a plus he simply dosen't have, and due to the fact he hasn't shown better poise or that much better of an arm I think it should be Tuggle who warms the seat until Retting arrives on campus
Puerto Rico Eagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:04 pm

I don't understand why the coaching staff needs (or clearly would like) Shinskie to win the job. I don't have anything against him, but he is no more game ready than Tuggle. As we saw last year, having the tools does not equal success (see Crane, C.). With the running backs we have, the job of the QB is simply to not lose the game. Tuggle so far has looked like he can do that.

:ginger
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:08 pm

Puerto Rico Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:His role right now is more of a back up nature. "He (Tuggle) takes the snaps,'' said Shinskie."I will come in every once in awhile and get some reps with the first team. But you have to go out and practice like you are going to play. I need to start playing faster, make something happen. Either you do it or you will be out of the game.'

Yeah... I agree, I think everything has been set up for Shinskie to start, but he simply didn't grab the spot. If he stares his recievers down with Clemson it's going to be an INT festival. It will also be intresting to see how he handles a real pass rush and more complicated defensive schemes. I think the fact that he hasn't played in 7 years will really show up on Saturday. Plus, Tuggle's mobility is a plus he simply dosen't have, and due to the fact he hasn't shown better poise or that much better of an arm I think it should be Tuggle who warms the seat until Retting arrives on campus

If everything we read in the post is true, I hope Tuggle completely outplays Shinskie. I don't hope anything bad for Shinskie or obviously anything bad for the team, but we need ONE QB, and the one with the most upside is Tuggle. Hopefully, he completely ends the competition, if there truly still is one. 2 QBs just don't work. One example is VT from 2 years ago. They won the ACC, but they never settled on a QB and it made their offense extremely inconsistent.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:32 pm

In a way, I wish we would just go with one or the other, but if for some reason Shinski lights it up on Saturday there's no reason not to go with him. The key is NO TURNOVERS. Crane made way too many stupid throws las tyear and took our team out of contention early. If it's not there, just thrown the damn thing way, punt the ball (Quigley has been doing a good job) and we'll play some defense. If you make dumb throws against a team like Clemson, there are going to be a bunch of Pick-6's and it's going to be ugly.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Unless Tugs stinks up the joint, I bet he will get more and more reps and be the guy for the rest of the year.

You heard it here first.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby tallsy on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:48 pm

I'm fine with this. I know most people (myself included) think Tuggle has been better. But I'm willing to trust this coaching staff. I would want to see both guys against real competition too. It's not like Tuggle's been so much better that it's a no-brainer.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby bosa90 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:11 pm

[quote="Eagledom] 2 QBs just don't work. One example is VT from 2 years ago. They won the ACC, but they never settled on a QB and it made their offense extremely inconsistent.[/quote]

Please tell me this was a joke. :seanwilliams :quadlaser
bosa90
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCWest on Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:52 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I agree. It seems to me that everyone except the Globe and the coaching staff thinks Tuggle is better.

Not sure where I stand either. Northeastern and Kent State are not big tests. Let's see what happens. Hopefully they both look good and BC wins. But this game will be a good tell on the QBs.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:04 pm

BCWest {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Not sure where I stand either. Northeastern and Kent State are not big tests. Let's see what happens. Hopefully they both look good and BC wins. But this game will be a good tell on the QBs.

You act as if Tuggle was the only one that played against those teams. Craneskie did too, and he didn't play as well, period. Is your suggestion that Tuggle is going to get worse, but Craneskie better, against better teams? If he is not looking off Kent State double coverage, I'd prefer not to even see what he will do against Clemson.

I also think it is bullshit. If you read Craneskie's comments, Tuggle is getting a great majority of the first team reps. That's a good sign that Tuggle is going to get most of the snaps.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:09 pm

Oh, and I think that swaping QBs is likely to have a great detrimental effect on offensive momentum. It is full retard to keep playing both. Shinskie had every opportunity to take the job outright - it's time to admit that Tuggle should be leading this team.

Which is exactly what I think happened this past week. I am giving Spaz the benefit of the doubt - he is just not showing his hand.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DougBushBC on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:16 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Oh, and I think that swaping QBs is likely to have a great detrimental effect on offensive momentum. It is full retard to keep playing both. Shinskie had every opportunity to take the job outright - it's time to admit that Tuggle should be leading this team.

Which is exactly what I think happened this past week. I am giving Spaz the benefit of the doubt - he is just not showing his hand.

Totally agree, just hope that his "playing close to the vest" doesn't extend into the middle of the game when Tuggle is getting the big Mo going and he throws Shinskie in.
DougBushBC
n00b

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:25 am

The over/under for Shinskie snaps is 10.

The over/under for Shinskie series is 2.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCFanFormerlyInCuse on Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:52 am

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:Why would Spaz announce what he is going to do? Why not just STFU and let the Clemson staff try and figure out who they will play the most against?

Agreed. Force Clemson to watch more game film. Keep them guessing. Mez will be able to tell us if this strategy is working or not.
BCFanFormerlyInCuse
n00b

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:14 am

Maybe we're just being impatient.

I have another thought.

I just don't think that Spaz and Tranquil believe that they have enough information yet. They've seen their team run roughshod over two teams that they were clearly superior to, and they've seen Tuggle and Shinskie throw TD passes. But these two QBs have not seen a defense yet that is even remotely close to what they have been scrimmaging against in practice all day. And Clemson, although much better defensively than Northeastern (and probably much better than Kent State) is still, probably not as good as BC defensively.

I think they just want to see which QB can nut up the most in an ACC game. The information they have gathered so far tells them that both of them can play QB vs a 1AA team and a MAC team. They want to see what they can do vs a BCS team. Remember people, it was Marscovetra (not Shinskie, and certainly not Tuggle) that did the best vs the best defense this offense has seen all year. They just need more data points.

That said, it is probably not a bad idea to NOT give the media any information here. Whatever he tells them, he is telling Dabo Sweeney. Let them prepare for both QBs for all we care.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:27 am

Why bother announcing this? Shouldn't :spaz2 have just let the Clemson speculate and plan for everything?
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby GuinnessEagle on Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:27 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCWest {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

You act as if Tuggle was the only one that played against those teams. Craneskie did too, and he didn't play as well, period. Is your suggestion that Tuggle is going to get worse, but Craneskie better, against better teams? If he is not looking off Kent State double coverage, I'd prefer not to even see what he will do against Clemson.

I also think it is bullshit. If you read Craneskie's comments, Tuggle is getting a great majority of the first team reps. That's a good sign that Tuggle is going to get most of the snaps.

I agree 100%. Also I agree that it is stupid for Spaz to announce given the dissimilarities in the style of each QB. This isn't exactly a Brady Quinn/Derek Anderson dichotomy.
GuinnessEagle
n00b

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium