Great Superfan Article

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Great Superfan Article

Postby 1981Eagle on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:07 pm

Gold Rush: How Boston College students became Superfans
By Paul Sulzer, The Heights
4 hours, 43 minutes ago

Buzz up! Print(CSTV U-WIRE) CHESTNUT HILL, Mass.—Few symbols are as synonymous with Boston College as the Superfan shirt. Students proudly don their gold apparel every Saturday in the fall, braving the biting winds and frequent downpours that would otherwise dampen their spirits, all in the name of representing their school as passionately as possible.

The intensity with which Superfans support their Eagles is particularly remarkable because the tradition is so young. Chris Millette and Jeff Bridge, both BC '99, were inspired to start a movement by their fellow students' apathetic attitudes toward cheering. After one hockey game at which they were told to "sit down and shut up" during their junior year, Millette and Bridge concluded that the game day atmosphere had to change.

"We essentially decided that we were having a lot more fun than other people were at games," Bridge said by phone. "We wanted everyone else to have the same experience as us and make the atmosphere the same as at other schools."

ADVERTISEMENT

So Bridge and Millette approached the Undergraduate Government of Boston College (UGBC) and the athletic department to brainstorm a solution. Bridge was inspired by the culture at the University of Virginia, his brother's school, where students would hand out t-shirts before each football game.

"I remember thinking, 'Why can't we do something like that?'" he said.

With the help of close friend and BC men's hockey coach Jerry York, Bridge and Millette were able to convince Pike's Peak, the hockey booster club, to order a bus to take 50 students to an away game against the University of New Hampshire. Before the game, Bridge and Millette distributed gold shirts to their friends for the first time.

From there, the movement slowly began to grow. Pike's Peak again gave the fledgling SuperFans a boost by providing that same group of students with tickets to the Frozen Four at the end of the season. "It was a struggle initially because it was easier to mobilize 50 people rather than 9,000. But people at BC love their school and jump at any chance to show how much they love their school," Bridge said.

By the fall of their senior year, the BC Bookstore agreed to buy the first 500 shirts for free, and the store put its logo on the back. Students spread the word that the nationally televised football game against Virginia Tech would be the Gold Rush game and students would wear their SuperFan shirts.

Three days before the game against the Hokies, Bridge and Millette wrote a letter to the students that appeared in The Heights, exhorting their classmates to demonstrate the same passion that they themselves displayed every Saturday.

"Think how intimidating it will be for other teams to come to Alumni Stadium or into Conte Forum and see a sea of gold," they wrote in the Oct. 5, 1998 edition of The Heights. "Think about students screaming and yelling, helping BC and distracting the opponent. Think about those people watching ESPN and saying, 'Wow, look at how crazy the fans are at BC.' Think about years from now when this becomes a tradition. It will be known all over - BC kids wear gold … and go nuts."

Although the Eagles lost 17-0 to the Hokies, the evening was nonetheless momentous. Rain-soaked SuperFans stood and cheered throughout the game. At halftime, BC retired the jerseys of legends Doug Flutie and Mike Ruth. Past and future traditions met at a crossroads for one special night.

Since then, the gold shirts that Bridge and Millette popularized have continued to swathe the student body. BC institutionalized the tradition in the summer of 2004, when the Office of First Year Experience chose to give each student a SuperFan shirt during orientation. As a result, the shirts have come to represent the unity of not just the school's sports fans but the student body as a whole.

The silent spectators that so disappointed Bridge and Millette a dozen years ago are now drowned out by one of the most vocal student sections in the country. BC students are routinely recognized by opponents as some of the most raucous in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

"We were initially just putting some shirts together to show some pride for our school at sporting events," Bridge said. "I'm happy to see people tie in an emotional factor with it as well. I hope that people continue to tie their own thoughts and put their own twist on it every year."

While SuperFan shirts have inspired students to support the Eagles as loudly as possible every Saturday, the alumni and other non-student sections have yet to catch the same school spirit.

In the fall of 2004, the Student Traditions Task Force introduced the maroon Alumni SuperFan T-shirts in an effort to change the culture of alumni fandom. The maroon shirts are yet to invoke the same enthusiasm as their gold counterparts.

Students remain undiscouraged by the quiet nature of the alumni, though. Just 12 years ago, after all, the students themselves watched silently as classmates like Bridge and Millette tried to pump up the crowd. If the students can be won over by the contagiousness of SuperFandom, the hope is that continued success will encourage the alumni to follow suit.

"It's something we are very proud of," Bridge said. "It's great to see other people share that same passion. We had a lot of things go our way to help make this happen. It's hard to believe we are having this conversation today."

Editor's Note: This article is the culmination of a year-long project by the 30-member Freshman Leadership Initiative Program (FLIP) of The Heights led by Pat Irish. The following students participated in FLIP in 2008-2009: Lila Abed, Joseph Bilotto, Anne Cobb Budnick, Jake Burg, Hilary Chasse, Nicole Choinski, John Delfino, Marissa Dioguardi, Katherine Ferguson, Kyu Lee Han, Kristen House, Claire Kairys, Steven Kreager, Sean Lane, Ana Lopez, Nora Lopopolo, Katherine Lucey, Justin McCarthy, Gabrielle McKenzie, Daniel Morrison, Maegan O'Rourke, Iulia Padeanu, Darren Ranck, Madeleine Redlick, Yanira Revan, Kristopher Robinson, Adam Rose, William Sloneker, Paul Sulzer, and William Watkins
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Re: Great Superfan Article

Postby DougBushBC on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:41 pm

Since then, the gold shirts that Bridge and Millette popularized have continued to swathe the student body. BC institutionalized the tradition in the summer of 2004, when the Office of First Year Experience chose to give each student a SuperFan shirt during orientation. As a result, the shirts have come to represent the unity of not just the school's sports fans but the student body as a whole.

Good article but inaccurate. The shirts were DEFINITELY distributed to all Students at my Freshman Orientation which was in the summer of 2002.
DougBushBC
n00b

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:42 pm

DougBushBC {l Wrote}:

Good article but inaccurate. The shirts were DEFINITELY distributed to all Students at my Freshman Orientation which was in the summer of 2002.

Class of 2004 got them at orientation and I'm pretty sure Class or 02 did as well.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:02 pm

campion {l Wrote}:The shirts are yellow, and they are a disgrace to Boston College and to every child stupid enough to wear one. Be yourselves, and not what you think ESPN would like to see.

They may be the wrong color, but its a nice tradition
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:11 pm

campion {l Wrote}:The shirts are yellow, and they are a disgrace to Boston College and to every child stupid enough to wear one. Be yourselves, and not what you think ESPN would like to see.

Yes, be yourselves, and if you don't feel like cheering, don't. Who cares about tv and game atmosphere? And if you would rather drink in the mods than stand in Alumni, go ahead!

The students and their yellow uniformity is one of the few positives we have going at Alumni.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:11 pm

What is it with the showing up way after the game starts? I've only see this done at BC football games and no other sporting event anywhere college or pro. Can someone please shed some light?

campion {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Drinking to excess on beer can hill, beating Clemson and Notre Dame, and showing up halfway through the first quarter are Traditions. Yellow tee shirts are the goldfish eating contest of the 21st century.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby trek152 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:12 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:What is it with the showing up way after the game starts? I've only see this done at BC football games and no other sporting event anywhere college or pro. Can someone please shed some light?

campion {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Drinking to excess on beer can hill, beating Clemson and Notre Dame, and showing up halfway through the first quarter are Traditions. Yellow tee shirts are the goldfish eating contest of the 21st century.

one must be fashionably late so as to give the hosts time to prepare and to preserve a certain air of detachment and proper social decorum.
trek152
Carney Hall

Postby Shredder on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:13 pm

I like the shirts but some of the slogans have left much to be desired. I remember "Talons of Fury, Get Ready!" and "Eagles Take Action" being the worst but haven't seen the past few. Now "Fly Like and Eagle," "Eagles on the Warpath" and even "Take it to the Heights" were good.
Shredder
McGuinn Hall

Postby Eagledom on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:15 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:
The students and their yellow uniformity is one of the few positives we have going at Alumni.

I agree. And better student support and passion leads to better alumni support down the line. The tradition has actually cought on very nicely over the past 7 years or so.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby trek152 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:17 pm

Shredder {l Wrote}:I like the shirts but some of the slogans have left much to be desired. I remember "Talons of Fury, Get Ready!" and "Eagles Take Action" being the worst but haven't seen the past few. Now "Fly Like and Eagle," "Eagles on the Warpath" and even "Take it to the Heights" were good.

it's "Talons of Fury...Get Ready!". If you're going to mock it at least be accurate please. And the '13 shirts are by far the worst, I'd say (even eclipsing talons of fury if were it not for the stupid ellipses and get ready part would actually be halfway decent). I'm more offended by the mustard yellow color. I don't understand why BC cannot get a decent shade of gold. We either settle for mustard yellow or some shade of tan; that gold rush color was similarly awful. Georgia Tech has a really nice shade of gold, why can't BC find one?
trek152
Carney Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:19 pm

trek152 {l Wrote}:
Shredder {l Wrote}:I like the shirts but some of the slogans have left much to be desired. I remember "Talons of Fury, Get Ready!" and "Eagles Take Action" being the worst but haven't seen the past few. Now "Fly Like and Eagle," "Eagles on the Warpath" and even "Take it to the Heights" were good.

it's "Talons of Fury...Get Ready!". If you're going to mock it at least be accurate please. And the '13 shirts are by far the worst, I'd say (even eclipsing talons of fury if were it not for the stupid ellipses and get ready part would actually be halfway decent). I'm more offended by the mustard yellow color. I don't understand why BC cannot get a decent shade of gold. We either settle for mustard yellow or some shade of tan; that gold rush color was similarly awful. Georgia Tech has a really nice shade of gold, why can't BC find one?

What's the '13 slogan?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby trek152 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:22 pm

I believe it's:

"Honoring the Legacy | Pursuing Greatness
The Sesquicentennial Class of 2013"

and I'm very ashamed I know that.
trek152
Carney Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:24 pm

I agree. Why show recruits, potential students and the rest of the nation that we care? Heck, I don't want any better players or to enhance BC's reputation in academics or athletics and why show that it's a fun place to spend 4 years of your life. Just close tha gates and put all the games on YouTube and we can watch them at home. Campion, trying to jerk chains again. I'm not biting.

campion {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Yes, be yourselves, and if you don't feel like cheering, don't. Who cares about tv and game atmosphere? And if you would rather drink in the mods than stand in Alumni, go ahead! The students and their yellow uniformity is one of the few positives we have going at Alumni.

I agree with the first part of your statement. What the fuck do I care if the guy down the row from me shows up late or not at all? Why should I care if a kid goes to the game or stays in his room pulling his pud? To each his own! And I don't care a pin about "TV atmosphere." TV sucks if you happen to be AT the game-- timeouts for commercials break momentum and the flow of the game, they add about 1/2 an hour to the game. TV blows. Just televise road games that I'm not going to in person, I say.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:44 pm

trek152 {l Wrote}:

It's very simple- In order to have everyone wear gold shirts, BC would have to purchase 9,000 new shirts and not charge anybody for it (because no student would pay more to get another superfan shirt just because it's a different shade of yellow/gold. BC doesn't care enough to eat that cost.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby trek152 on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:47 pm

that wasn't my point. i fully accept that the superfan shirts will be mustard yellow from now until all eternity. my complaint is more with the new BC merchandise that they've come out with such as that Gold Rush campaign last year. Those shirts were freaking ugly.
trek152
Carney Hall

Postby DrPeterV on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:58 pm

You fail to see the difference between unity and conformity. The yellow shirts are the former, and are a good thing.

I do wish the Eagle didn't look so much like the Fighting Irish mascot though. It would be cooler if it were the 60s/70s LSD Eagle with the claws coming at you.
DrPeterV
Carney Hall

Postby talon on Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:00 pm

DrPeterV {l Wrote}:I do wish the Eagle didn't look so much like the Fighting Irish mascot though.

agree 100%
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby Buttercup on Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:33 pm

The shirts were given out at my orientation in the summer of 2000. At that meeting, we were also taught the "Eagles on the Warpath" cheer... I've tried to start that cheer in many situations, including in section A since graduation, but to no avail.

Eagles on the Warpath
Oooo ahhhhh!
Buttercup
Carney Hall

Postby Salzano14 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:26 am

The student section was FULL at kickoff for both of the first two games this year. And the superfan shirts genuinely make an impressive effect. Just sayin'.
Buttercup {l Wrote}:The shirts were given out at my orientation in the summer of 2000. At that meeting, we were also taught the "Eagles on the Warpath" cheer... I've tried to start that cheer in many situations, including in section A since graduation, but to no avail.

Eagles on the Warpath
Oooo ahhhhh!

They still do that at every orientation, and I'm convinced it's a running joke with the Office of First Year Experience, because no one ever does that chant, ever. Every single year, some freshmen try to start it early in the season because they were taught it at orientation, every year it doesn't catch on, and every year it's dead for another 11 months.
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:Was anyone else disgustiad that there was no mentions of any kickers in here? No. I'm the only one? Okay then, as you were.

I also expected an article about a BC kicker.
I prefer hockey.
Salzano14
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCGoldenEagles on Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:59 am

In the fall of 2004, the Student Traditions Task Force introduced the maroon Alumni SuperFan T-shirts in an effort to change the culture of alumni fandom. The maroon shirts are yet to invoke the same enthusiasm as their gold counterparts.

Students remain undiscouraged by the quiet nature of the alumni, though. Just 12 years ago, after all, the students themselves watched silently as classmates like Bridge and Millette tried to pump up the crowd. If the students can be won over by the contagiousness of SuperFandom, the hope is that continued success will encourage the alumni to follow suit.

It would be nice to see the stadium filled with either maroon or gold (yellow). The Alumni Superfan shirts are terrible. That's why they haven't caught on. I wear a maroon polo shirt. Also, I think the alumni have been less quiet the last few years. There haven't been as many whalepants in Section B.
BCGoldenEagles
Carney Hall

Postby DougBushBC on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:22 am

Salzano14 {l Wrote}:They still do that at every orientation, and I'm convinced it's a running joke with the Office of First Year Experience, because no one ever does that chant, ever. Every single year, some freshmen try to start it early in the season because they were taught it at orientation, every year it doesn't catch on, and every year it's dead for another 11 months.

I call Bullshit we used to get it going in the Student Section in '05 and '06 all the time. And FYE can go suck a pair of nuts, the shirt slogans should be selected by the fan organizations (such as BCRC or something along those lines)... They have picked the stupidest slogans since "Fly like an Eagle" for CO2006.
DougBushBC
n00b

Postby Salzano14 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:57 am

DougBushBC {l Wrote}:
Salzano14 {l Wrote}:They still do that at every orientation, and I'm convinced it's a running joke with the Office of First Year Experience, because no one ever does that chant, ever. Every single year, some freshmen try to start it early in the season because they were taught it at orientation, every year it doesn't catch on, and every year it's dead for another 11 months.

I call Bullshit we used to get it going in the Student Section in '05 and '06 all the time. And FYE can go suck a pair of nuts, the shirt slogans should be selected by the fan organizations (such as BCRC or something along those lines)... They have picked the stupidest slogans since "Fly like an Eagle" for CO2006.

Yeah... I'm '10 so apparently I Take Action.

I forget how they select the names... Wasn't there some argument a couple years ago between two people that resulted in the horrible "Talons of Fury... Get Ready!" compromise?
I prefer hockey.
Salzano14
McGuinn Hall

Postby eaglechevy on Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:13 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:Was anyone else disgustiad that there was no mentions of any kickers in here? No. I'm the only one? Okay then, as you were.

I was expecting a Sid Vicious article as well. You are not alone.

The man, the myth, now get me another Corona!
eaglechevy
Emeritus

Postby eagle1331 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:36 am

I think it's the Office of First Year Experience of whatever the feck its called that decides the slogan. I think the student body should get to vote on a few options at the end of the preceding year. And the options should be submitted by the students. Seriously, what was the age and mindset of the people that picked this year's class, after the negative reaction to last year's class?

The Athletics association f'd up, IMO, when they started the Maroon & Gold marketing campaign 3 or 4 years ago. They needed to pick 1 color and run with it, like the originators did (Gold-out). Because of that, and the moronic idea to give Alumni Maroon instead of Gold Alumni SuperFan shirts, our stadium will never be a unified color.

And who was the genius that changed the shade of gold in the shirts 2-3 years ago? I'm class of '08 and my shirt doesn't fit me anymore, but I will not buy a new one simply because I don't want the yellow one. :lame :toby ?
Herzlich for Coach '09-'10
eagle1331
Carney Hall

Postby apbc12 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:45 am

eagle1331 {l Wrote}: And who was the genius that changed the shade of gold in the shirts 2-3 years ago? I'm class of '08 and my shirt doesn't fit me anymore, but I will not buy a new one simply because I don't want the yellow one. :lame :toby ?

Uh...I'm class of '04, and my shirt is the color of Protestant mustard. Unless you're talking about something other than Superfan shirts, they're all pretty much the same color.

And, I imagine the mustard color was chosen because gold is a difficult color to reproduce in a tee shirt, while yellow is cheap and stands out on television.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby apbc12 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:49 am

eaglechevy {l Wrote}:

I was expecting a Sid Vicious article as well. You are not alone.

RIP
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby WilpertsRevenge on Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:56 am

Class of 03 got them in 1999 so good research here
WilpertsRevenge
Carney Hall

Postby eagle1331 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:59 am

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
eagle1331 {l Wrote}: And who was the genius that changed the shade of gold in the shirts 2-3 years ago? I'm class of '08 and my shirt doesn't fit me anymore, but I will not buy a new one simply because I don't want the yellow one. :lame :toby ?

Uh...I'm class of '04, and my shirt is the color of Protestant mustard. Unless you're talking about something other than Superfan shirts, they're all pretty much the same color.

And, I imagine the mustard color was chosen because gold is a difficult color to reproduce in a tee shirt, while yellow is cheap and stands out on television.

Your shirt is the same color as mine. It's the class of '11 or '12 that they changed it from our shade of gold/mustard/yellow to relatively straight up yellow; very different from what we got. The picture on the bookstore website is not accurate by any stretch.
Herzlich for Coach '09-'10
eagle1331
Carney Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:03 am

campion {l Wrote}:You fucks ought to publish your research on yellow undershirts in an academic journal. Why don't you all get matching cellphones too?

Would you like all the no good kids with their yellow tshirts and rap music to stay the hell off your lawn, too?
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby BigPete on Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:16 pm

Those of us in the class of 99 who knew the shirts were ghey and yellow when they debuted still know they are ghey and yellow.
BigPete
McGuinn Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium