I'll say it, Shinskie looks better so far

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

I'll say it, Shinskie looks better so far

Postby DuchesneEast on Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:12 pm

That double clutch to the open receiver just killed Tuggle for me. Still a half left but that hurt.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Re: I'll say it, Shinskie looks better so far

Postby talon on Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:14 pm

sounds like a great pass by Tuggle right there to Larmond, Jr.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:20 pm

Maybe I spoke too soon.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:22 pm

That was a nice pass to Harris.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby talon on Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:42 pm

After today, how does the QB situation play out? I understand wanting to get all of them in, just in case, but I'd like to have seen one QB really make a case for himself.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:28 pm

Seems like a waste of Marscovetra's redshirt if the competition is between Shinskie and Tuggle.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:05 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Seems like a waste of Marscovetra's redshirt if the competition is between Shinskie and Tuggle.

Yup. And I am of the impression that the coaches don't really care.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby micheagle on Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:16 pm

Shinskie has a rifle.

Tuggle can move around a little more, showed nice touch, and also managed to look off his intended receiver, which Shinskie did not.

Tuggle showed better judgment, but was hesitant (the double clutch that should have been a first down).

Shinskie forced some throws (Flutie's first catch), but apparently has the arm strength and accuracy to get away with it (at least against Notheastern).

I think both can win a lot of games, but Shinskie has the NFL arm.

We'll learn more against the Kent State.

Both looked way better than Crane did against KSU in last year's opener.
micheagle
Carney Hall

Postby AdamBC on Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:18 pm

I think we will learn alot more during the Kent State game, but this game made me feel much better about the team.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:27 pm

I thought Tuggle was the better QB in terms of looking off receivers, delivering the ball with some touch, and finding the open guy. His 40-yard pass that he lofted over the DB to Larmond was a thing of beauty, as was the touch pass for the TD. He also led a very nice 2-minute drive.

I thought Shinskie was the better arm, and ultimately will be the better passer. Against a shit team he looked great, but he held the ball too long and didn't look off receivers.

I thought Marscovetra and Boek both looked okay for a couple of guys that didn't throw more than 5 yards. Tough to tell whether either can throw down the field at this point.

I thought the team did a good job shifting from Tuggle to Shinskie without missing a beat. I would thusly plan to play those two on a going forward basis. Both bring a different skills to the table, and we can use each.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby talon on Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:31 pm

I'd love to see Tuggle at QB with both Haden and Harris in the back field.

Then, Shinskie behind center with Boek at FB and Smith at TB.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:37 pm

talon {l Wrote}:I'd love to see Tuggle at QB with both Haden and Harris in the back field

They did this several times, but they ran the same play out of it. Need to mix it up. But I agree.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby EagleNYC on Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:02 pm

I just re-watched the offensive possessions in the 1st half (damn 360 and their John Kruk commercials). Shinskie never looked off his receiver, as has been noted at length. While this may not have actually been necessary against Northeastern, this was not encouraging. Tuggle's apparently willingness to tuck and run rather than sit in the pocket was his biggest problem- I liked his touch and arm strength. I hope this competition plays out for the first few games and let's see how it shakes out. Just based on arm strength, both are better than Davis. Then again, Crane had a pretty strong arm too.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:03 pm

One of the most telling passes was his TD swing pass to Montel -great touch, hit Montel in stride.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:05 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:I just re-watched the offensive possessions in the 1st half (damn 360 and their John Kruk commercials). Shinskie never looked off his receiver, as has been noted at length. While this may not have actually been necessary against Northeastern, this was not encouraging. Tuggle's apparently willingness to tuck and run rather than sit in the pocket was his biggest problem- I liked his touch and arm strength. I hope this competition plays out for the first few games and let's see how it shakes out. Just based on arm strength, both are better than Davis. Then again, Crane had a pretty strong arm too.

Alot of times you see mobile QBs tuck and run too quickly when they first start out. It was probably an automatic TD for him in high school. He just needs to study up and get more comfortable thinking 'pass' and eventually his instincts will balance out.

Shinskie may look alot worse against a real defense. He had alot of time to wait for his recievers to get open.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:09 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:I just re-watched the offensive possessions in the 1st half (damn 360 and their John Kruk commercials). Shinskie never looked off his receiver, as has been noted at length. While this may not have actually been necessary against Northeastern, this was not encouraging. Tuggle's apparently willingness to tuck and run rather than sit in the pocket was his biggest problem- I liked his touch and arm strength. I hope this competition plays out for the first few games and let's see how it shakes out. Just based on arm strength, both are better than Davis. Then again, Crane had a pretty strong arm too.

Alot of times you see mobile QBs tuck and run too quickly when they first start out. It was probably an automatic TD for him in high school. He just needs to study up and get more comfortable thinking 'pass' and eventually his instincts will balance out.

Shinskie may look alot worse against a real defense. He had alot of time to wait for his recievers to get open.

Tuggle had one play, i believe it was a swing pass to one of the RBs (Harris?) and he threw it away. the lack of touch concerns me about Tuggle. that said, either QB is light years better than Cesspool and more than serviceable. i really think if people stay healthy this could be another good year for the team.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:11 pm

Tuggle's touch on the pass to Larmond though was great.

I didn't see the touch people saw with Shinksie. Looks like he has one throw thus far: hard and fast. Great arm, though.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:24 pm

I have read all..

I tell you...Tranquill and Spaz have a hellva call.

I think from the development and agility deal and the note that Shinskie was toalegraphing his throws....ouchie...

9 may finally be right after 25,000 posts and maybe Tuggle if he cna throw accurately and make good decisions with his escapablity is the deal....but I wanna see Shinskie versus Kent and see if maybe he knows and can shake the rust off..

Just remember Northeastern and Kent State have little or no FBS speed or talent.

This may continue for a few more weeks????

Not a fan of platoon QB's but Tranquill is a vet.

GO EAGLES!!

I love when we win.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:05 pm

To be clear, at this point I would still use both. I like Shinskie's arm. I am not anti-Shinskie.

I am anti-the Myth of Mike Marscovetra however.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:19 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:To be clear, at this point I would still use both. I like Shinskie's arm. I am not anti-Shinskie.

I am anti-the Myth of Mike Marscovetra however.

he still played so you still owe me six beers...

hey wang, can you photoshop a luke skywalker head on tuggle's junk? profile would best prove my point.

I'll see what I can do.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:24 am

You can make all the photo shops you want. Your penis preference is duly noted.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:01 am

I generally draw the line with respect to our :tre at involving BC players. Especially those with 260 pound former NFL hall of fame linebackers for fathers whose nickname is "The Hammer." Just sayin'.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:03 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I generally draw the line with respect to our :tre at involving BC players. Especially those with 260 pound former NFL hall of fame linebackers for fathers whose nickname is "The Hammer." Just sayin'.

Another first for EO: the "Think of the children!/recruits/parents that read this board!" cry.

:pepper2
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:04 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I generally draw the line with respect to our :tre at involving BC players. Especially those with 260 pound former NFL hall of fame linebackers for fathers whose nickname is "The Hammer." Just sayin'.

Another first for EO: the "Think of the children!/recruits/parents that read this board!" cry.

Yeah, no, not my point. More like "think of TRE's health and well being!"
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:05 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Yeah, no, not my point. More like "think of TRE's health and well being!"

Because Tuggle's dad reads this board? That's friggin' awesome.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:05 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

I was only going to keep it posted until you replied to it. You did, and now it is gone. :ginger :toby
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:10 am

You guys are so very literal.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Return to Alumni Stadium