Best BC profs

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Best BC profs

Postby apbc12 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:36 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Drew Yanno, screenwriting. The guy is a professional screenwriter and in his class you talk about movies, and at the end of the semester watch Witness while reading the screenplay. Then you can take an advanced screenwriting class with him and your final project is the first act of a screenplay. Nice guy, great class.

All right, we almost certainly know each other (no, TRE, not in that way), given that Yanno's Advanced class was about 12 people. I also took all of Mike Civille's classes. He's a great guy and the only prof I kept in touch with after graduation.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby RyanBC on Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:40 am

Robert Faulkner and Dayton Haskin. Also Chris Bruell.
RyanBC
Carney Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:52 am

Donald Hafner was a demanding SOB but his International Politics class was mesmerizing. Far and away my best experience at BC.

Agreed w/Ty on -A Brienes, who would also come out of the closet at least once every two weeks.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:21 am

Thomas O'Connor was great for Age of Jackson and the American Civil War. He would reenact conversations between the main historical figures. He was always just funny enough to keep the material interesting.

My freshman history course was taught by two different professors, one in each semester. One was named Heinemann, and I can't recall the name of the other, but he was great. Every lecture included a slide show, and he brought down the house when he informed us that French King Louis XIV (or was it the XVI) was a "raging homosexual."
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby BCLou on Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:48 pm

Raymond McNally was a great history professor. He had a booming voice and his lectures were always interesting. Along with Radu Florescu he later became well-known as an expert on Dracula and vampirism. I'm sorry he's no longer with us. He would've confirmed Tranq as one of the Undead and rid us of his evil presence.
BCLou
Carney Hall

Postby BC '00 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:52 pm

15Radnor {l Wrote}:Twomey: Employment Law
Richard Powers: Miscellaneous undergrad law classes
Father Imbelli: Exploring Catholicism

Wasn't a big fan of O'Neill's Politics of Northern Ireland class--Probably because I knew more about the subject than him and I didn't like his political stance. However, he did have some great guests.

Twomey was the man. He decided that we were related because my last name was the same as his wife's grandmother's maiden name or something, and from then on treated me like royalty. I took every class of his I could. His classes were actually pretty fun, too.
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby BigPete on Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:Thomas O'Connor was great for Age of Jackson and the American Civil War. He would reenact conversations between the main historical figures. He was always just funny enough to keep the material interesting.

My freshman history course was taught by two different professors, one in each semester. One was named Heinemann, and I can't recall the name of the other, but he was great. Every lecture included a slide show, and he brought down the house when he informed us that French King Louis XIV (or was it the XVI) was a "raging homosexual."

Heinneman's 3d Reich class where he would put all kinds of crazy Nazi movies on the BC Film 2 channel for you to watch was tremendous. His stories of being in the Nazi youth were also amazing. Great class.

Got to also give a shout out to the professor whose name I've forgotten who taught Studio TV Production -- he was a director of live sports for ESPN and as mellow as the day was long. That is until I brought two very badly inebriated individuals to my final project to serve as talent on a talk show called 'Sunday Mornings' that we had loosely conceived 5 minutes or so before tape rolled, and insisted we re-shoot the entire thing. He never sent me back my tape final exam but I would kill for that 20 minute video of these jackassses fighting dry mouth and talking at length about partying.
BigPete
McGuinn Hall

Postby micheagle on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:31 pm

Heineman said he was in the Hitler youth?!? I thought he was from Iowa or something?

BigPete {l Wrote}:
Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:Thomas O'Connor was great for Age of Jackson and the American Civil War. He would reenact conversations between the main historical figures. He was always just funny enough to keep the material interesting.

Heinneman's 3d Reich class where he would put all kinds of crazy Nazi movies on the BC Film 2 channel for you to watch was tremendous. His stories of being in the Nazi youth were also amazing. Great class.

Got to also give a shout out to the professor whose name I've forgotten who taught Studio TV Production -- he was a director of live sports for ESPN and as mellow as the day was long. That is until I brought two very badly inebriated individuals to my final project to serve as talent on a talk show called 'Sunday Mornings' that we had loosely conceived 5 minutes or so before tape rolled, and insisted we re-shoot the entire thing. He never sent me back my tape final exam but I would kill for that 20 minute video of these jackassses fighting dry mouth and talking at length about partying.
micheagle
Carney Hall

Postby Chicken Patties on Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:15 pm

Heinemans big revelation on the last class was that the family he stayed with in Germany one summer finally copped to knowing that the Nazis were killing their Jewish neighbors after he spent the summer badgering them about it whilst they denied knowing anything. He made it sound much better.
Chicken Patties
Carney Hall

Postby SJeagle09 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:12 pm

Gergana Nenkov - International Marketing. Extremely attractive, great accent (Bulgarian), very easy

I really liked Tresch too even if those Russian TA's tore me a new ass hole with my grade
:pontif
SJeagle09
Cushing Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:54 pm

WhiskeyEagle {l Wrote}:Seth Jacobs is amazing- the history of the Vietnam War class he taught was life changing. His LBJ and Nixon imitations were epic, fairly presented both sides to all topics and on the last day of class he received, no joke, a 5 minute standing ovation.

Tim Crawford is the man.

Agree on both counts.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby Zahmhall77 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:03 am

I never met the man but I respect peter kreeft immensly, and have read his stuff
Do any of you guys know Jim Gipps or Jack Spang in Comp Sci? Top notch guys
Zahmhall77
n00b

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:28 am

Zahmhall77 {l Wrote}:I never met the man but I respect peter kreeft immensly, and have read his stuff
Do any of you guys know Jim Gipps or Jack Spang in Comp Sci? Top notch guys

Peter Kreft was my second class in September 1970, after Professor Harrington told me in my first 5 minutes at BC that I was a total loser for not owning apartment buildings in Boston and taking the depreciation and he showed us his yacht and how he-resold his fully depreciated buildings and started again and I would never get rich off a W-2.

We were there because our Catholic parents sent us "losers" and everything is owned by insurnace companies since your parents are old mics, guineas and Catholics who never die and pay the premiums.

Today, Harrington and his insurance class would be front page news and it would be a insensitivity training cours or not, but it was true.

That was the only, best and last thing I learned at BC. It was College in 2 Minutes. Done, over get your diploma on the way out the door.

Kreft was a fucking asshole.

First day, a loose dog runs in to Fulton's slanted back seminar/classroom and Kreft says, how do we know this is not God and how do we know we exist?

Some football player rolled his eyes and "If I come over and knock your lights out you will know you exist!"

Then it experiments like was peel back an onion, stare at your hand for 30 minutes..

Shit, the more I keep staring at my hand the more it was telling me back then to strangle my dick and take a nap!

Yup 3 hours into my BC Career at Fulton and it was over in a flash.

Harrington and Kreft.

Ruined 4 great years of no studying.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Baltimore Eagle on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:39 am

Prof. Kerry Cronin for Perspectives was great as was Tom Kaplan-Maxfield for Creative Non-Fiction.

I also remember O'Neil having incredible guests, John Hume and David Trimble amongst them, for his Northern Ireland class.
Last edited by Baltimore Eagle on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baltimore Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby Zahmhall77 on Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:40 am

as i said never met the man but i think his theology is spot on

74 I hope you cc-ed the worst BC profs thread on your reply!
Zahmhall77
n00b

Postby eaglecaddy on Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:49 pm

BC '00 {l Wrote}:
15Radnor {l Wrote}:Twomey: Employment Law
Richard Powers: Miscellaneous undergrad law classes
Father Imbelli: Exploring Catholicism

Wasn't a big fan of O'Neill's Politics of Northern Ireland class--Probably because I knew more about the subject than him and I didn't like his political stance. However, he did have some great guests.

Twomey was the man. He decided that we were related because my last name was the same as his wife's grandmother's maiden name or something, and from then on treated me like royalty. I took every class of his I could. His classes were actually pretty fun, too.

Twomey is a great teacher and a good BC Guy. He had an unwritten rule that for his labor law class the best a junior could get was a B+ and the worst a senior could get was a B+. On the first day of class he would encourage juniors to wait until senior year for the class. I also liked Fr. Himes, his belief in modernity class was the :skank
eaglecaddy
Campion Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon May 21, 2012 3:21 pm

AMDG {l Wrote}:Tom O'Connor

O'Connor passed away over the weekend.

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/2012/05 ... News_links
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon May 21, 2012 5:58 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Wow - that hit me like a punch in the gut. He was great.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Mon May 21, 2012 6:06 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:

Wow - that hit me like a punch in the gut. He was great.

I didn't know him personally, but I have read a number of his books. He was a terrific historian.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Tue May 22, 2012 12:02 pm

Margaret Schacken, by far. I am not sure how embarrassed I am telling this story, but it is the truth, word for word. no one believes it when I tell it, and it may devalue the BC degree to a point but here goes. I signed up for her Greek Mythology class with some teammates first semester junior year. Rumor was that it was light lifting, in spite of the fact that is is listed as a level 500 class at BC. Anyways, it was a small class, 35 or so, and the five of us were very infrequebt attendess. I kid you not, I walked in ten minutes late one day, she stops class and thanks me for coming, knowing that I had a busy schedule and all. I was mortirfied. She was serious. The nicest woman alive, she really is. about one month into the semester she pulls us aside and says I know you all have difficulty getting to class, so how would you like to do an independent study. We have no idea what an independent study is, but it sounds good, so we say "absolutely" she tells us she is writing a book and needs some help with it. now we panic. None of us can tell her the first thing about Greek Mythology or whatever is going on in her class. She tells us that we dont have to come to her class, but she needs some footnote help with her book. We are thinking we may have just screwed ourselves, or we are getting a soft landing. She hands the five of us a book and says please make a bibliography out of this book and type it on a note card and bring it to me at the end of the smester. We all froze waiting for our next instruction. We kept waiting.... and waiting...And that was it. She thanked us repeatedly and sent us on our way. We felt like we had hit the lottery. So the night beofre the semester ends, we spend 45 seconds on the type writer typing up something that looks like this: " Greek Mythology, by Joe Smith: Harper Press, New York, New York, 1992." We bring the cards to her and she just overwhelms us with praise. she tells us she couldnt do the book without her and on and on. We are doing everything we can to hold it together. We all get "A's" She asks if we can do the same for her in her Latin Patrology classs the next semester. We eagerly agree, next semester same routine, same grades. The year ends. She actually teaches 4 classses. So before the first semester of our senior year starts we go see her and we arrange the the same set up for another one of her classes. Same work, same result. We had leaked out word to some of our friends on this, so by the time I registered for her last semester class, it was closed. I was too lazy to even go see her, but all my roommates were in her class. the semester comes and goes and the day before grades are due in during senior week, she calls my room and gets my roommate and says the following" Tom, I am submiting your grades and didnt notice one name on there. It happened to be my name. She said why didnt he register" My roomamte says he wasnt sure why. She asks if I helped out with the assignment, and he said yes that I absolutely did. She says thank you and tells him that she is going to make sure I get registered and receive my grade. this is the day before grades are due. the semester is already over. She registered me then and gave me an A. Beyonf belief, but all of it is true. Just a wonderful woman.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Tue May 22, 2012 3:59 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:Margaret Schacken, by far. I am not sure how embarrassed I am telling this story, but it is the truth, word for word. no one believes it when I tell it, and it may devalue the BC degree to a point but here goes. I signed up for her Greek Mythology class with some teammates first semester junior year. Rumor was that it was light lifting, in spite of the fact that is is listed as a level 500 class at BC. Anyways, it was a small class, 35 or so, and the five of us were very infrequebt attendess. I kid you not, I walked in ten minutes late one day, she stops class and thanks me for coming, knowing that I had a busy schedule and all. I was mortirfied. She was serious. The nicest woman alive, she really is. about one month into the semester she pulls us aside and says I know you all have difficulty getting to class, so how would you like to do an independent study. We have no idea what an independent study is, but it sounds good, so we say "absolutely" she tells us she is writing a book and needs some help with it. now we panic. None of us can tell her the first thing about Greek Mythology or whatever is going on in her class. She tells us that we dont have to come to her class, but she needs some footnote help with her book. We are thinking we may have just screwed ourselves, or we are getting a soft landing. She hands the five of us a book and says please make a bibliography out of this book and type it on a note card and bring it to me at the end of the smester. We all froze waiting for our next instruction. We kept waiting.... and waiting...And that was it. She thanked us repeatedly and sent us on our way. We felt like we had hit the lottery. So the night beofre the semester ends, we spend 45 seconds on the type writer typing up something that looks like this: " Greek Mythology, by Joe Smith: Harper Press, New York, New York, 1992." We bring the cards to her and she just overwhelms us with praise. she tells us she couldnt do the book without her and on and on. We are doing everything we can to hold it together. We all get "A's" She asks if we can do the same for her in her Latin Patrology classs the next semester. We eagerly agree, next semester same routine, same grades. The year ends. She actually teaches 4 classses. So before the first semester of our senior year starts we go see her and we arrange the the same set up for another one of her classes. Same work, same result. We had leaked out word to some of our friends on this, so by the time I registered for her last semester class, it was closed. I was too lazy to even go see her, but all my roommates were in her class. the semester comes and goes and the day before grades are due in during senior week, she calls my room and gets my roommate and says the following" Tom, I am submiting your grades and didnt notice one name on there. It happened to be my name. She said why didnt he register" My roomamte says he wasnt sure why. She asks if I helped out with the assignment, and he said yes that I absolutely did. She says thank you and tells him that she is going to make sure I get registered and receive my grade. this is the day before grades are due. the semester is already over. She registered me then and gave me an A. Beyonf belief, but all of it is true. Just a wonderful woman.

That's a funny story. Upsetting in a way too, but funny.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue May 22, 2012 4:03 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:
hinghameagle {l Wrote}:Margaret Schacken, by far. I am not sure how embarrassed I am telling this story, but it is the truth, word for word. no one believes it when I tell it, and it may devalue the BC degree to a point but here goes. I signed up for her Greek Mythology class with some teammates first semester junior year. Rumor was that it was light lifting, in spite of the fact that is is listed as a level 500 class at BC. Anyways, it was a small class, 35 or so, and the five of us were very infrequebt attendess. I kid you not, I walked in ten minutes late one day, she stops class and thanks me for coming, knowing that I had a busy schedule and all. I was mortirfied. She was serious. The nicest woman alive, she really is. about one month into the semester she pulls us aside and says I know you all have difficulty getting to class, so how would you like to do an independent study. We have no idea what an independent study is, but it sounds good, so we say "absolutely" she tells us she is writing a book and needs some help with it. now we panic. None of us can tell her the first thing about Greek Mythology or whatever is going on in her class. She tells us that we dont have to come to her class, but she needs some footnote help with her book. We are thinking we may have just screwed ourselves, or we are getting a soft landing. She hands the five of us a book and says please make a bibliography out of this book and type it on a note card and bring it to me at the end of the smester. We all froze waiting for our next instruction. We kept waiting.... and waiting...And that was it. She thanked us repeatedly and sent us on our way. We felt like we had hit the lottery. So the night beofre the semester ends, we spend 45 seconds on the type writer typing up something that looks like this: " Greek Mythology, by Joe Smith: Harper Press, New York, New York, 1992." We bring the cards to her and she just overwhelms us with praise. she tells us she couldnt do the book without her and on and on. We are doing everything we can to hold it together. We all get "A's" She asks if we can do the same for her in her Latin Patrology classs the next semester. We eagerly agree, next semester same routine, same grades. The year ends. She actually teaches 4 classses. So before the first semester of our senior year starts we go see her and we arrange the the same set up for another one of her classes. Same work, same result. We had leaked out word to some of our friends on this, so by the time I registered for her last semester class, it was closed. I was too lazy to even go see her, but all my roommates were in her class. the semester comes and goes and the day before grades are due in during senior week, she calls my room and gets my roommate and says the following" Tom, I am submiting your grades and didnt notice one name on there. It happened to be my name. She said why didnt he register" My roomamte says he wasnt sure why. She asks if I helped out with the assignment, and he said yes that I absolutely did. She says thank you and tells him that she is going to make sure I get registered and receive my grade. this is the day before grades are due. the semester is already over. She registered me then and gave me an A. Beyonf belief, but all of it is true. Just a wonderful woman.

That's a funny story. Upsetting in a way too, but funny.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was bothered by the lack of paragraphs.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby BCDF22 on Tue May 22, 2012 4:06 pm

Heineman and Quigley were my two favorite
BCDF22
Carney Hall

Postby hansen on Tue May 22, 2012 4:44 pm

so the five of you had to simply create a bibliography entry for one book each? for an A? UNREAL
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby bcnyceagle on Tue May 22, 2012 8:25 pm

Aragon (R.I.P.), Herbeck, Holderness and Himes. No other finance guys here?
bcnyceagle
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue May 22, 2012 10:18 pm

best teachers: jacobs (history) schloesser (history) gollop (econ, now dept chair) baum (econ hard but genius) farrell (english, jesuit - guy was the fucking man) derber (sociology, he and i had great debates as a conservative econ major)

easiest teachers: monahan (real estate) lugira (theology/ black studies) sannella (marketing)

tresch also blows. and i did well in his class.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Wed May 23, 2012 6:12 am

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:. Beyonf belief, but all of it is true. Just a wonderful woman.

Jeez, I think she is still an active professor. Talk about your shoving someone in front of the bus jobs.....
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed May 23, 2012 7:11 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:best teachers: jacobs (history) schloesser (history) gollop (econ, now dept chair) baum (econ hard but genius) farrell (english, jesuit - guy was the fucking man) derber (sociology, he and i had great debates as a conservative econ major)

easiest teachers: monahan (real estate) lugira (theology/ black studies) sannella (marketing)

tresch also blows. and i did well in his class.

I can CONFIRM both of those two.

Farrell was great, Schloesser was brilliant -difficult but excellent

Edit some other ones:
For Math :ugeek: Keane was very good (Pats season ticket holder so we had some fun), CK was great he'd always make fun of his -_- accent
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed May 23, 2012 9:19 am

I'll throw out some others:

McGrann (music history), Lee (music theory), Chiles (bio), Muller (comp sci)
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby BC96 on Wed May 23, 2012 9:29 am

Thomas O'Connor (Civil War) the best lecturer I had

James Gips (Computers in Managment) great professor and most practical class I took at BC

Harry Gottschalk (Housing: A Guide for the Perplexed) easiest class
BC96
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium