Best BC profs

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Best BC profs

Postby micheagle on Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:18 pm

Wu reminded me of that old wizard guy from Big Trouble in Little China.
micheagle
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:27 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:Psychobiology of Mental Disorders with Joe Tecci was awesome. One night a week, and halfway through each class, he would stop teaching, turn out the lights, and made everyone meditate for 15 or 20 minutes. He claimed that he would need total silence while meditating or else he would get crippling migranes. Of course, someone would either fart or snore about halfway through, prompting people (i.e., me) to laugh. It was usually just a nice nap in the middle of class. It seemed like the rest of the course was him trying to convince us that he could tell when people were lying by the number of times they blinked.

Shut the fuck up before I stab you to death, isn't is a nice day here sitting in the dust bowl, you motherfuckers are all gonna die if I get a bad grade, and the new freshman girls all look so good, I may have to Boston Strangler a few of these teases, and that Spaz is such a darling as Head Coach, and I hate these jock fucks who think they own campus, and aren't we blessed to have a Church so close, I wanna castrate any priest for the scandal and the food is so good, I would like to poison everyone like Jim Jones, and did I tell you I sleepwalk with a Bowie knife, but my Doctor says I am cured.

What a stupid fucking course.

I could write that medical tome for living 2 years on South Street and if you don't believe me I'll kill you.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:30 pm

Silas is old. I love the story of escaping from the communist on top of a train with no food for days.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:32 pm

Singleton - US History
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:36 pm

Henry Blackwell, English department. I took at least 3 classes with him. I was an English major and he picked a lot of great books, like Faulkner. Class discussions always went way off topic and were very fun. He was one of those professors who was so into the subject and so smart that he would forget to tie his shoes and just be really absent-minded overall. He'd show up late to every class with a stack of books and assorted papers, but he was brilliant. He usually only assigned a few short papers and he always gave an automatic 24-hour extension.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby Second Round Skinner on Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:48 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Alan Reinerman, great history professor.

Agreed. One of the few classes I didn't dread attending.
Second Round Skinner
n00b

Postby ryrob on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:04 pm

All this talk about history reminds me, Robin Fleming for European History was great, probably the best lecturer I've seen at BC. Even made the core bearable.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:08 pm

Drew Yanno, screenwriting. The guy is a professional screenwriter and in his class you talk about movies, and at the end of the semester watch Witness while reading the screenplay. Then you can take an advanced screenwriting class with him and your final project is the first act of a screenplay. Nice guy, great class.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby 2008Eagle on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:18 pm

Michael Keith and Dale Herbeck in comm stand out.
2008Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:20 pm

2008Eagle {l Wrote}:Michael Keith and Dale Herbeck in comm stand out.

BIIIIIIG DALE!
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

BIIIIIIG DALE!

You mean Peter Griffin?
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:25 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

BIIIIIIG DALE!

You mean Peter Griffin?

That's the one. Best part of any Big Dale class was him talking about his no-good kid. "The kid does this all the time. He's no good."

We had him for an Internet law comm class, and the subject matter consisted of hate groups and pr0n.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:28 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

BIIIIIIG DALE!

You mean Peter Griffin?

That's the one. Best part of any Big Dale class was him talking about his no-good kid. "The kid does this all the time. He's no good."

We had him for an Internet law comm class, and the subject matter consisted of hate groups and pr0n.

I took that 2nd semester Senior year with a bunch of my friends pass/fail. Fantastic idea. Plus I won 80 bucks by finishing the final in under 20 minutes.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:29 pm

soulhunter {l Wrote}:From just an impressive professor/big mind perspective, Prof. Peter Clote i thought was up there. I had him for Genetic Algorithms as part of the Comp Sci track, but i think they gave him his own section for Computational Biology in the Biology department. For anyone who took it there is no way they will say that Algorithms was there favorite class, but the man himself was scary smart

Clote was really smart but an awful teacher. He was definitely a researcher first.

Himes' Intro to Christianity class changed me.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:34 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
soulhunter {l Wrote}:From just an impressive professor/big mind perspective, Prof. Peter Clote i thought was up there. I had him for Genetic Algorithms as part of the Comp Sci track, but i think they gave him his own section for Computational Biology in the Biology department. For anyone who took it there is no way they will say that Algorithms was there favorite class, but the man himself was scary smart

Clote was really smart but an awful teacher. He was definitely a researcher first.

Himes' Intro to Christianity class changed me.

i never took clote because i believe he got sick my senior year. that kind of sucked because i wanted to see why everyone in CS basically jerked off at the mention of him...
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:44 pm

ryrob {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:I'm sure none of mine are there anymore. Fr. Flanigan for "Perspectives", Prof. Devlin for Accounting, Prof Domohowski for Cost Accounting, Chase/Getty for History, Fr. Caulfield for Calculus, Prof Glynn-Taxes, Prof Corsini-Accounting Theory, Prof Tehranian-Finance, Prof Wright-Operation Mgmt., Fr. McGillvary-English. Many great ones, few poor ones.

Glynn is still there and teaches a joke of a FAST III (Advanced Accounting) course at night. Corsini and Tehranian are too, but I don't know what they teach. The rest don't sound familiar.

Thanks. Wow. Glynn was pretty old when I was there. Corsini and Tehranian were up and comers. There was a hot blonde in my finance class. Tehranian was handing out the graded departmental mid-terms and she did real well so he asked her for a kiss since she did so well. She blushed and scurried back to her seat. In today's PC environment he would be fired or suspended.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:46 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:I'm sure none of mine are there anymore. Fr. Flanigan for "Perspectives", Prof. Devlin for Accounting, Prof Domohowski for Cost Accounting, Chase/Getty for History, Fr. Caulfield for Calculus, Prof Glynn-Taxes, Prof Corsini-Accounting Theory, Prof Tehranian-Finance, Prof Wright-Operation Mgmt., Fr. McGillvary-English. Many great ones, few poor ones.

Glynn is still there and teaches a joke of a FAST III (Advanced Accounting) course at night. Corsini and Tehranian are too, but I don't know what they teach. The rest don't sound familiar.

Thanks. Wow. Glynn was pretty old when I was there. Corsini and Tehranian were up and comers. There was a hot blonde in my finance class. Tehranian was handing out the graded departmental mid-terms and she did real well so he asked her for a kiss since she did so well. She blushed and scurried back to her seat. In today's PC environment he would be fired or suspended.

Tehranian is head of the department. Apparently he raises a lot of money and is quite the character.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:49 pm

Professor Burgess: septegenarian queen of creepy forensics. Always hot girls in nursing school classes +1. Mostly videos of violent crime reenactments +2. Actual question from 50 Q multiple choice final: "which are the following is a projectile: a) knife b) bullet c) gun d) sword." +3. Hearing an old woman say "dildoooooos and anal residue" is beyond entertaining +4.

Side note - I recently read a book by the FBI profiler that was the model for Silence of the Lambs (he's known as the Mindhunter) referred to working with her extensively on many occassions.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:51 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:anal residue

I have an image for most things, but I'm gonna defer to TRE (rhymes with ghey) this time.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:54 pm

Second Round Skinner {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Alan Reinerman, great history professor.

Agreed. One of the few classes I didn't dread attending.

I had him freshman year European history and took every class he offerred. If you took good notes, his tests were verbatim what he said it class.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:09 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:

Tehranian is head of the department. Apparently he raises a lot of money and is quite the character.

He's a great guy and great teacher. I'm glad he's done well. Did his doctoral work at Bama as I recall.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:11 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
ryrob {l Wrote}:

He's a great guy and great teacher. I'm glad he's done well. Did his doctoral work at BAMA! as I recall.

fixed.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:18 pm

David Quigley, History- by far one of, if not the best, I had in four years.
Atef Ghobrial, Arabic- yeah, I took arabic, and Prof. Ghobrial was the man. He really cared about his students, cliche to say I know, but in his case its completely true.
Alan Rogers, History- He was a great prof, but not just for his teaching abilities. I took his class sophomore year and always wore the same red hat (one of those Mount Gay Rum sailing hats) to class. I didn't ever really see him again until senior year, walking through the Dustbowl. I was wearing a new hat and as we passed he said that he liked my new hat, that the other one had gotten a little too ratty. That impressed me.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby dixieagle on Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:06 pm

I went to B.C. in the dark ages ('70-'74).

Dr. Tom O'Connor was a favorite. Dr. Donald Gertmenian was a brilliant young English prof who got more excited about his subject than anyone I'd ever seen. Fr. James Casey, who taught Faith, Reason and the Gospels was a sweetie (and had my now-husband and me work on an assignment together - bless you, Fr. Casey). I also loved a course in the Arthurian Legend that took forever to get into because the prof was terrific (he also taught courses in Chaucer, I believe) but I can't remember his name, dangit! P. Albert Duhamel was brilliant; I didn't realize until I read "My Life in France" that Julia Child cooked her first TV meal on his show, "I've Been Reading" in 1962!
dixieagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:18 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:David Quigley, History- by far one of, if not the best, I had in four years.
Atef Ghobrial, Arabic- yeah, I took arabic, and Prof. Ghobrial was the man. He really cared about his students, cliche to say I know, but in his case its completely true.
Alan Rogers, History- He was a great prof, but not just for his teaching abilities. I took his class sophomore year and always wore the same red hat (one of those Mount Gay Rum sailing hats) to class. I didn't ever really see him again until senior year, walking through the Dustbowl. I was wearing a new hat and as we passed he said that he liked my new hat, that the other one had gotten a little too ratty. That impressed me.

Great call on Prof. Rogers...I took several classes with him and was always pleased with his methods, wit, and interesting insight in the subject.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby WhiskeyEagle on Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:25 pm

Seth Jacobs is amazing- the history of the Vietnam War class he taught was life changing. His LBJ and Nixon imitations were epic, fairly presented both sides to all topics and on the last day of class he received, no joke, a 5 minute standing ovation.

Tim Crawford is the man.
O'Neill taught a great Polly Sci class on Northern Ireland too- also the Burns head librarian.
WhiskeyEagle
n00b

Postby BCMurt09 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:06 pm

WhiskeyEagle {l Wrote}:Seth Jacobs is amazing- the history of the Vietnam War class he taught was life changing. His LBJ and Nixon imitations were epic, fairly presented both sides to all topics and on the last day of class he received, no joke, a 5 minute standing ovation.

Tim Crawford is the man.
O'Neill taught a great Polly Sci class on Northern Ireland too- also the Burns head librarian.

Jacobs is a great call. Did he read aloud his PEPs when you were there? He always chose a few choice ones that were usually pretty hilarious.

I took O'Neill my last semester (Spring 09) and though it was a great class. One of the last classes he gave us a tour of Burns Library which was actually pretty cool.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby Chicken Patties on Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:24 pm

Jacobs is a great call. Did he read aloud his PEPs when you were there? He always chose a few choice ones that were usually pretty hilarious.

I took O'Neill my last semester (Spring 09) and though it was a great class. One of the last classes he gave us a tour of Burns Library which was actually pretty cool.[/quote]

I had O'neill for an irish history up to the rebellion. I don't think i've ever taken more notes in my life. I also think he tried to recruit my roommate and I into the IRB.
Chicken Patties
Carney Hall

Postby 15Radnor on Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:48 pm

Twomey: Employment Law
Richard Powers: Miscellaneous undergrad law classes
Father Imbelli: Exploring Catholicism

Wasn't a big fan of O'Neill's Politics of Northern Ireland class--Probably because I knew more about the subject than him and I didn't like his political stance. However, he did have some great guests.
94, thanks for the motivation!
15Radnor
Carney Hall

Postby WhiskeyEagle on Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:28 am

15Radnor {l Wrote}:Twomey: Employment Law
Richard Powers: Miscellaneous undergrad law classes
Father Imbelli: Exploring Catholicism

Wasn't a big fan of O'Neill's Politics of Northern Ireland class--Probably because I knew more about the subject than him and I didn't like his political stance. However, he did have some great guests.

Knew more about the subject than him? Somehow I doubt that, unless of course you are from there and/or lived it. Also, I didn't get a heavy dose of politics/ opinions during his lectures.
WhiskeyEagle
n00b

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium