Best BC profs

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Best BC profs

Postby micheagle on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:08 pm

The nerdification thread (which has mysteriously remained on the football board) raised a good point.

We did not have a lot of standout profs, and there was a lot of clutter.

Who were your favorites?

I'll go with Heineman and Hibbs, who defected to Rice or Baylor (can't remember which). Wish I had taken one of Kreeft's classes in hindsight, but those were heathen days for me.
micheagle
Carney Hall

Re: Best BC profs

Postby cvilleagle on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:15 pm

Kreeft was great - although when I think about the "nerdification" thread, I kind of cringe at the fact that I took his "Lord of the Rings" class.

I took another class of his as well. Can't remember which one.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:16 pm

I really liked my intro to philosophy prof, Dwyer, though I didn't do too well in his class (a common theme my first two years).

Carlo Rotelli (? was that his name) the young wiry guy who taught English and was obsessed with boxing was another good one.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby BC '00 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:23 pm

Tricky Dick Tresch for Econ. Professor Twomey for business law (not in the law school, however). Best 2 by far.
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:25 pm

McMenamin...PULSE/Philosophy
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:26 pm

I'm sure none of mine are there anymore. Fr. Flanigan for "Perspectives", Prof. Devlin for Accounting, Prof Domohowski for Cost Accounting, Chase/Getty for History, Fr. Caulfield for Calculus, Prof Glynn-Taxes, Prof Corsini-Accounting Theory, Prof Tehranian-Finance, Prof Wright-Operation Mgmt., Fr. McGillvary-English. Many great ones, few poor ones.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BC '00 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:31 pm

Did anyone have "The Sin Priest" for anything? I took one class in statistical modeling (I was in WAY over my head) with him, and even though the class was hard as hell, the professor was awesome. He's the guy who does statistical modeling and analysis related to gambling, tobacco, and alcohol. He also told the story of how the New Hampshire State Police started arresting MA police officers who camped out looking for people buying beer over the border on Sundays.
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby ZBC2001 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:33 pm

BC '00 {l Wrote}:Tricky Dick Tresch for Econ. Professor Twomey for business law (not in the law school, however). Best 2 by far.

I didn't dig Tresch. But sitting in Devlin 008 would make most profs seem boring.

Fr. McGowan (stats) was always good for throwin out one liners to kids (the year I had him his favorite target was a kid named Raj). But it's not like stats was an inspiring course...I just liked Fr. McGowan.

Prof. Gallaugher (the guy from the newer BC commercials) was good.

Prof. Wolff for European history was solid. I just checked and he is now at NYU.
ZBC2001
Carney Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:36 pm

The Off-season seems to result in many "Best of..." threads. Please note that 81 did not start this one. I started a bunch last year and...oh well....some posters got annoyed. Read the EO history.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BC '00 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:43 pm

ZBC2001 {l Wrote}:
BC '00 {l Wrote}:Tricky Dick Tresch for Econ. Professor Twomey for business law (not in the law school, however). Best 2 by far.

I didn't dig Tresch. But sitting in Devlin 008 would make most profs seem boring.

Fr. McGowan (stats) was always good for throwin out one liners to kids (the year I had him his favorite target was a kid named Raj). But it's not like stats was an inspiring course...I just liked Fr. McGowan.

Prof. Wolff for European history was solid. I just checked and he is now at NYU.

That's the guy I was trying to think of: Father MacGowan. Boring subject, good guy. Pretty funny, actually.
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby micheagle on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:59 pm

ZBC2001 {l Wrote}:

That would be Raj Bhakta of Apprentice and riding an elephant across the Rio Grande "fame." He can tell you a few good stories about McGowan.
micheagle
Carney Hall

Postby ryrob on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:03 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:I really liked my intro to philosophy prof, Dwyer, though I didn't do too well in his class (a common theme my first two years).

Carlo Rotelli (? was that his name) the young wiry guy who taught English and was obsessed with boxing was another good one.

I took Rotella for The City in Literature and Film last year. Hands down the best/most interesting professor I've had at BC, and tons of great books and movies.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby ryrob on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:05 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:I'm sure none of mine are there anymore. Fr. Flanigan for "Perspectives", Prof. Devlin for Accounting, Prof Domohowski for Cost Accounting, Chase/Getty for History, Fr. Caulfield for Calculus, Prof Glynn-Taxes, Prof Corsini-Accounting Theory, Prof Tehranian-Finance, Prof Wright-Operation Mgmt., Fr. McGillvary-English. Many great ones, few poor ones.

Glynn is still there and teaches a joke of a FAST III (Advanced Accounting) course at night. Corsini and Tehranian are too, but I don't know what they teach. The rest don't sound familiar.
ryrob
Merkert Hall

Postby Bumpers on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:25 pm

Bilodeau in Math / Stats - awesome teacher. I always enjoyed going to his class

Flanagan, S.J., teaching Lonergan was sleepworthy

R.K. Tacelli, S.J. - best Prof at the school IMO. His class "Does God Exist?" was great, and he taght Kant, too, making it interesting.

McCarthy in the English Dept. was excellent, too. Victorian writers was his gig.

There was a female who taight Irish Writers that I also thought was an excellent teacher, too - she had class "meetings" in her house @ Kenmore a couple of times - can't remeber her name.

All late 80's early 90's.
Bumpers
McGuinn Hall

Postby Salzano14 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:28 pm

Never had Tacelli but he's a great guy.

Professor Reeder in the math department is the smartest person I've ever met in my life and also one of the best teachers. A rare combination.
I prefer hockey.
Salzano14
McGuinn Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:35 pm

Heineman and Murphy for Biz Law.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:37 pm

Psychobiology of Mental Disorders with Joe Tecci was awesome. One night a week, and halfway through each class, he would stop teaching, turn out the lights, and made everyone meditate for 15 or 20 minutes. He claimed that he would need total silence while meditating or else he would get crippling migranes. Of course, someone would either fart or snore about halfway through, prompting people (i.e., me) to laugh. It was usually just a nice nap in the middle of class. It seemed like the rest of the course was him trying to convince us that he could tell when people were lying by the number of times they blinked.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby Bumpers on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:37 pm

Salzano14 {l Wrote}:Never had Tacelli but he's a great guy.

Professor Reeder in the math department is the smartest person I've ever met in my life and also one of the best teachers. A rare combination.

Totally agree about Tacelli - he did my wedding and every one of my roommate's, too. Great guy.
Bumpers
McGuinn Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:38 pm

Bumpers {l Wrote}:

Totally agree about Tacelli - he did my wedding and every one of my roommates, too. Great guy.

Um, huh?
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby Bumpers on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:42 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
Bumpers {l Wrote}:

Totally agree about Tacelli - he did my wedding and every one of my roommates, too. Great guy.

Um, huh?

Um, that's funny. There should be a ' after the s in roomates. How o alonely ' can change the meaning of something so well intended.

* I respek your grammar and punctuation policing.

:kudos
Bumpers
McGuinn Hall

Postby AMDG on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:44 pm

Tom O'Connor

Thomas Perry

Mark Gelfan

William Daley
AMDG
Carney Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:48 pm

Taylor for Accounting and Taxes. Tough but actually keeps the topic interesting.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby ZBC2001 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:50 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:Psychobiology of Mental Disorders with Joe Tecci was awesome. One night a week, and halfway through each class, he would stop teaching, turn out the lights, and made everyone meditate for 15 or 20 minutes. He claimed that he would need total silence while meditating or else he would get crippling migranes. Of course, someone would either fart or snore about halfway through, prompting people (i.e., me) to laugh. It was usually just a nice nap in the middle of class. It seemed like the rest of the course was him trying to convince us that he could tell when people were lying by the number of times they blinked.

Along those same lines...Prof. Soo (below) would dedicate entire classes to meditating. The class I took was Eastern Philosophy or something to that affect.

Tenure is an amazing thing.

ZBC2001
Carney Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:51 pm

Alan Reinerman, great history professor.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby soulhunter on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:54 pm

From just an impressive professor/big mind perspective, Prof. Peter Clote i thought was up there. I had him for Genetic Algorithms as part of the Comp Sci track, but i think they gave him his own section for Computational Biology in the Biology department. For anyone who took it there is no way they will say that Algorithms was there favorite class, but the man himself was scary smart

For fun, any class taught by Andy Buni couldn't be missed. One time we took a field trip to southie where we watched youth boxing. So basically it was a trip to watch kids beat each other up. Then he couldn't rememeber where we were supposed to meet the bus to head back to BC.
soulhunter
n00b

Postby edawguerrero on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:57 pm

Tacelli for Philisophy

Wolf for history (though I think he is elsewhere now).
edawguerrero
n00b

Postby angryty on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:57 pm

Heineman, Reinerman and Gelfan were great history professors. Kreeft was a great philosophy professor. I also had a hippy professor who taught the US in Central America course. Sure, he was a commie, but he let you yell "fuck you, you stupid, ignorant hippy" at him or the kids that shared his world view before you made your salient point. He also didn't hold politics against you in the grading.

Breines couldn't teach his way out of a paper bag but he did bring beer to class a few times which scores a lot of points in my book. And Silas Wu was hilarious. Unintentionally hilarious, but comedy gold nonetheless.
angryty
McGuinn Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:13 pm

Wu was great, I had an oral book report on chinese farming and he asked me if I read the whole book and I said "no" and I got an A anyway since he appreciated my honesty. nǐ hǎo

Who was the fat round jesuit that taught American History? He was nice too.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:15 pm

mark reeder is incredibly smart and a really nice, decent guy but he's an awful teacher. the majority of his background is in research (iirc at stanford) so this is not surprising.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Buttercup on Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:15 pm

Seth Jacobs, History.
Buttercup
Carney Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium