Best BC profs

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Best BC profs

Postby angrychicken on Wed May 23, 2012 9:37 am

BC96 {l Wrote}:
Harry Gottschalk (Housing: A Guide for the Perplexed) easiest class

That class was awesome.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Wed May 23, 2012 11:06 am

Never thought I'd forget these profs/classes but coming up on 20 years which of course has flown by, they are all starting to blend into one. The funny thing is that I tend to remember the bad experiences better than the good ones.

Can't remember the guys name but I took a course about the History of Concord, MA. The guy walked into class, no notes, books, not even a pen and just lectured for 2 hours and left, no notes on the board, minimal if any discussion, a one page syllabus, a $12 text book, a midterm, final and an A, no projects, term paper etc...

Kreeft, I have to say I was impressed by him but a couple of times as he was lecturing, I couldn't help but think he thought he was actually Jesus. Maybe the biggest ego of anyone I have ever met or top three anyway.
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby BC923 on Wed May 23, 2012 2:17 pm

bcnyceagle {l Wrote}:Aragon (R.I.P.), Herbeck, Holderness and Himes. No other finance guys here?

this
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby McDeere's Bombardier on Wed May 23, 2012 7:24 pm

James O'Toole (American Catholic History) - great class even better guy.

I second Keane as a great math professor.
McDeere's Bombardier
n00b

Postby HustlinOwl on Wed May 23, 2012 8:44 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
hinghameagle {l Wrote}:Margaret Schacken, by far. I am not sure how embarrassed I am telling this story, but it is the truth, word for word. no one believes it when I tell it, and it may devalue the BC degree to a point but here goes. I signed up for her Greek Mythology class with some teammates first semester junior year. Rumor was that it was light lifting, in spite of the fact that is is listed as a level 500 class at BC. Anyways, it was a small class, 35 or so, and the five of us were very infrequebt attendess. I kid you not, I walked in ten minutes late one day, she stops class and thanks me for coming, knowing that I had a busy schedule and all. I was mortirfied. She was serious. The nicest woman alive, she really is. about one month into the semester she pulls us aside and says I know you all have difficulty getting to class, so how would you like to do an independent study. We have no idea what an independent study is, but it sounds good, so we say "absolutely" she tells us she is writing a book and needs some help with it. now we panic. None of us can tell her the first thing about Greek Mythology or whatever is going on in her class. She tells us that we dont have to come to her class, but she needs some footnote help with her book. We are thinking we may have just screwed ourselves, or we are getting a soft landing. She hands the five of us a book and says please make a bibliography out of this book and type it on a note card and bring it to me at the end of the smester. We all froze waiting for our next instruction. We kept waiting.... and waiting...And that was it. She thanked us repeatedly and sent us on our way. We felt like we had hit the lottery. So the night beofre the semester ends, we spend 45 seconds on the type writer typing up something that looks like this: " Greek Mythology, by Joe Smith: Harper Press, New York, New York, 1992." We bring the cards to her and she just overwhelms us with praise. she tells us she couldnt do the book without her and on and on. We are doing everything we can to hold it together. We all get "A's" She asks if we can do the same for her in her Latin Patrology classs the next semester. We eagerly agree, next semester same routine, same grades. The year ends. She actually teaches 4 classses. So before the first semester of our senior year starts we go see her and we arrange the the same set up for another one of her classes. Same work, same result. We had leaked out word to some of our friends on this, so by the time I registered for her last semester class, it was closed. I was too lazy to even go see her, but all my roommates were in her class. the semester comes and goes and the day before grades are due in during senior week, she calls my room and gets my roommate and says the following" Tom, I am submiting your grades and didnt notice one name on there. It happened to be my name. She said why didnt he register" My roomamte says he wasnt sure why. She asks if I helped out with the assignment, and he said yes that I absolutely did. She says thank you and tells him that she is going to make sure I get registered and receive my grade. this is the day before grades are due. the semester is already over. She registered me then and gave me an A. Beyonf belief, but all of it is true. Just a wonderful woman.

so the five of you had to simply create a bibliography entry for one book each? for an A? UNREAL

I'd guess Margaret Schacken was a fan of shirtless teenage boys.
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby Salzano14 on Wed May 23, 2012 9:23 pm

I posted in the beginning of this thread that I had never had Tacelli. I was fortunate enough to get into "Does God Exist" in my spring semester senior year, 2010. One of the best, most interesting classes I've ever taken.
I prefer hockey.
Salzano14
McGuinn Hall

Postby hansen on Fri May 25, 2012 4:42 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:best teachers: jacobs (history) schloesser (history) gollop (econ, now dept chair) baum (econ hard but genius) farrell (english, jesuit - guy was the fucking man) derber (sociology, he and i had great debates as a conservative econ major)

easiest teachers: monahan (real estate) lugira (theology/ black studies) sannella (marketing)

tresch also blows. and i did well in his class.

is Lugira still up there teaching?

i recall my first day in his class. i got the recommendation to take the class from a friend who was senior when i was a lowly sophomore. i didn't understand a single word he spoke the first class and a good portion of the remaining ones (that I attended). it freaked me out but I was advised to stay the course. best decision i ever made.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Fri May 25, 2012 8:43 pm

I am surprised to hear multiple people rating Kreeft among the best BC profs. I planned to take him in '07 but I heard some negative things and his PEPs were outright awful. I ended up taking Shmickler who I thought was really good.

Herbeck for argumentation theory was the best. I took Himes for my intro theology and he was great too.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sat May 26, 2012 12:44 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:best teachers: jacobs (history) schloesser (history) gollop (econ, now dept chair) baum (econ hard but genius) farrell (english, jesuit - guy was the fucking man) derber (sociology, he and i had great debates as a conservative econ major)

easiest teachers: monahan (real estate) lugira (theology/ black studies) sannella (marketing)

i recall my first day in his class. i got the recommendation to take the class from a friend who was senior when i was a lowly sophomore. i didn't understand a single word he spoke the first class and a good portion of the remaining ones (that I attended). it freaked me out but I was advised to stay the course. best decision i ever made.

if you mastered the header you got an a. literally.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:42 pm

I am envious of you guys

We didn't have anything like that
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:25 am

No mention of Radu Florescu in this thread??
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:31 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
Himes' Intro to Christianity class changed me.

unfortunately passed away this week, only 75

https://www.bc.edu/bc-web/bcnews/campus ... himes.html
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BostonCollege1 on Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:14 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:

Hansen - on Lugira: https://www.msn.com/en-xl/news/other/ugandan-living-in-usa-declared-dead-fraudsters-sell-his-land/ar-AAXVrLv

Kreeft was the biggest asshole I had for a professor.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium