Page 3 of 8

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:53 pm
by hansen
DavidGordonsFoot wrote:
flyingelvii wrote: Thursday is MAs, WonderBar, or J-Tree


disgustiad


agreed... i thought the same thing but was too lazy to type it

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:56 pm
by hansen
Reverend Mike wrote:
b0mberMan wrote:
flyingelvii wrote:
DavidGordonsFoot wrote:
flyingelvii wrote: Thursday is MAs, WonderBar, or J-Tree


disgustiad

JTree always has a line and is more expensive. And Wonder Bar is also teeming with coeds. Not ideal but if you're down there it certainly doesn't suck.


The only time I went to Wonder Bar was my first year out of college during a massive blizzard. It was the closest place to my buddy's place where we were snowed in, so we hiked over. There were about 25 people there and we had a blast and got shitfaced with the bartender and persuaded her back to party more with us. I will never go back for fear of ruining this memory.

JTree was Tonic when I was there. I've been to the Tree, but have always liked the one in Davis better for whatever reasons.

Wonder Bar is bullshit. Fuck that BU euro shit. Local 186 Foreva. Wonderbar neva.


truer words have never been spoken... exalt

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:04 pm
by EaglesTalon
My thoughts on the nerdification:

10+ years ago, a solid GPA and good SAT score was enough to get into BC. If you had a solid GPA and good SAT scores and did all that bullshit extracurricular stuff you were probably going to an Ivy. BC was full of smart kids that knew they could either do minimal work and just rely on their natural smarts and get a B+ or A-, or bust their ass and get an A, and knew that the extra work wasn't worth it.

Now, a solid GPA and good SAT score isn't enough to get in. You've gotta be an obnoxious overachiever, who's all into that bullshit extracurricular stuff. The competitive nature of admission means that today's students feel that they need to put in that extra effort to get the best grade in their class and they're not satisfied with just using their natural smarts.

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:39 pm
by TontoKowalski
Local 186 was the best. Even the Armadillo is better than whatever sad piece of shit lives there now. Ditto Arbuckles and the Avenue - closing Arbuckles meant Chet had no reason to live.

Presto > Pinos.

The most tragic bar closing ever was Gerlondo's becoming the White Horse. You'd see amazing things at Gerlondo's.

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:41 pm
by 15Radnor
It is a shame that Kinvara is no longer--that used to be our '06 Wednesday night. I think '07 was the last non-wholly nerdified class.

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:43 pm
by flyingelvii
DavidGordonsFoot wrote:
flyingelvii wrote: Thursday is MAs, WonderBar, or J-Tree


disgustiad

JTree always has a line and is more expensive. And Wonder Bar is also teeming with coeds. Not ideal but if you're down there it certainly doesn't suck.

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:59 pm
by Chicken Patties
TontoKowalski wrote:Local 186 was the best. Even the Armadillo is better than whatever sad piece of shit lives there now. Ditto Arbuckles and the Avenue - closing Arbuckles meant Chet had no reason to live.

Presto > Pinos.

The most tragic bar closing ever was Gerlondo's becoming the White Horse. You'd see amazing things at Gerlondo's.


Armadillo and its overly agressive, id snatching asian bouncer sucked ass. I will agree on Gerlondos though. That place was the tits. I once watched 3 hours of the nancy kerrigan beat down coverage there and was probably the only person at the bar not cashing their paycheck. O'malleys and silhouettes were also ok if you didn't mind drinking with the locals.

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:16 pm
by TontoKowalski
Chicken Patties wrote:Armadillo and its overly agressive, id snatching asian bouncer sucked ass. I will agree on Gerlondos though. That place was the tits. I once watched 3 hours of the nancy kerrigan beat down coverage there and was probably the only person at the bar not cashing their paycheck. O'malleys and silhouettes were also ok if you didn't mind drinking with the locals.


Agree on the Armadillo - simply pointing out that anytime one of those places closed, it got worse. My favorite Gerlondo's memory was Deaf Night, when anyone who waved at the bartender got drink specials. They also had live music on deaf night.

Upon further reflection, the House of Pain burning down my freshman year is the greatest tragedy of all.

And if you want to nail BU girls, go to Great Scott.

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:57 pm
by ATLeagle
TontoKowalski wrote:
Presto > Pinos.


Exalt. I never understod the Pino's love. Presto's4eva. :chewbanka

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:19 pm
by pick6pedro
ATLeagle wrote:
TontoKowalski wrote:
Presto > Pinos.


Exalt. I never understod the Pino's love. Presto's4eva. :chewbanka


Dittos. Pino's food has no personality.

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:28 pm
by 15Radnor
If Matt Ryan likes Presto's better, than it has to be better.

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:01 pm
by ZBC2001
O'Briens on Harvard Ave. Pick up the Allston trash.

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:03 pm
by RegalBCeagle
Yah, but have any of you taken a crap at Maryann's?

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:05 pm
by bignick33
RegalBCeagle wrote:Yah, but have any of you taken a crap at Maryann's?


No, but if I needed to I'd use the women's restroom without hesitating.

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:16 pm
by claver2010
ATLeagle wrote:
TontoKowalski wrote:
Presto > Pinos.


Exalt. I never understod the Pino's love. Presto's4eva. :chewbanka


Prestos 4evah Pinos nevah.

Tuesday: MA's
Wednesday: Roggies
Thursday: Harvard Ave (JTree, Wonderbar, ...)

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:23 pm
by BCEagle74
cvilleagle wrote:
EaglesTalon wrote:
When was the last time you were at the Rat?


I think 2005....why? Wait a minute...

DONT YOU EVEN SAY IT! DONT YOU EVEN SAY IT!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!


May 1974.

I remember it well.

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:25 pm
by BCEagle74
pick6pedro wrote:
b0mberMan wrote:
RegalBCeagle wrote:The Rat - no more????

WTF? When did we officially become Duke University, Northeast Campus?

It's hard to sell kids on how much fun BC is (actually was) when half the shit that made campus life so much fun has been taken away by the school.

Please don't tell me Chi Chi is gone.


If he's still there, I bet his sales are way down because of the increase of sober people on the weekend. Seriously, would you eat those sausages if you weren't blind drunk?


It's not the soberness that is the difference, it's because the current student body is full from eating each other's sausages - and '74 is rolling over in his grave.


I am not dead yet, but soon!

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:29 pm
by BCEagle74
ATLeagle wrote:Speaking of nerdification, even those of us who graduated in the 90s can't hold a candle to the old timers. My dad went to St. Bonaventure in the 60s. Back in the day many of the north east Catholic schools (Fordham, GTown, PC, BC, Fairfield, Nova) went to Bermuda for holy week/spring break. His first year going the BC guys we kicked off the island for their behavior (drunkenness, purposely riding scooters into the water, etc). The country even banned BC from returning the following year.

Respek

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 pm
by BCEagle74
pick6pedro wrote:
RegalBCeagle wrote:I'd say the fence around the Mods was a huge milestone. Not sure when that was.


Summer of 2000.


The Mods were torn down in 1976 since they were temporary housing? Why would you put a fence around balsa wood slums?

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:31 pm
by BCEagle74
ATLeagle wrote:Did they ever go through with the "let's not sell soda" at the Rat idea too? Because we wouldn't want to sell college kids coke or sprite -- those things are bad for you!

The sad thing about the nerdification at BC is that we still haven't moved up the US News Rankings.


I never ever saw one soda at the Rathskeller from 1973-1974.

If you drank a soda you would be crucified outside Lyons and no one would care.

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:34 pm
by BCEagle74
BCdee wrote:
TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:wings at mary anns? wtf is wrong with you nerds. in my day, if you wanted to eat at mary anns you got a bag of 17 year old hot fries out of the vending machine... and you liked it!!!!

i remember riding the bus to maryanns with my fellow students/bartender and helping them get the cash register, pop-a-shot, and juke box warmed up on friday afternoons... ahhhhh good times

i've since been back and you can never go home again. since douggie hurley left the place hasn't been the same


Yeah, when did they serve wings??? Does that mean MA's had a kitchen?! Scary!!!
If I wanted a snack, I hit the vending machine, too....or we would get pizza from Pino's.


Food at Maryanns would be ground zero for the start of the bubonic plague and the ebola virus.

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:52 pm
by BCEagle74
EaglesTalon wrote:My thoughts on the nerdification:

10+ years ago, a solid GPA and good SAT score was enough to get into BC. If you had a solid GPA and good SAT scores and did all that bullshit extracurricular stuff you were probably going to an Ivy. BC was full of smart kids that knew they could either do minimal work and just rely on their natural smarts and get a B+ or A-, or bust their ass and get an A, and knew that the extra work wasn't worth it.

Now, a solid GPA and good SAT score isn't enough to get in. You've gotta be an obnoxious overachiever, who's all into that bullshit extracurricular stuff. The competitive nature of admission means that today's students feel that they need to put in that extra effort to get the best grade in their class and they're not satisfied with just using their natural smarts.


[size=150][b][color=#000080]

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:56 pm
by TontoKowalski
[quote="ATLeagle]
Exalt. I never understod the Pino's love. Presto's4eva. :chewbanka[/quote]

The only reason to ever consider Pinos was because they had the two-slices-and-a-drink deal. But Presto had Sicilian style slices, thicker crust, and where else can you be served by Danny Aiello's stunt double on work release?

While we're at it, 783-BIRD. Honey BBQ with mozzarella sticks.

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:21 am
by claver2010
BCdee wrote:
TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:wings at mary anns? wtf is wrong with you nerds. in my day, if you wanted to eat at mary anns you got a bag of 17 year old hot fries out of the vending machine... and you liked it!!!!

i remember riding the bus to maryanns with my fellow students/bartender and helping them get the cash register, pop-a-shot, and juke box warmed up on friday afternoons... ahhhhh good times

i've since been back and you can never go home again. since douggie hurley left the place hasn't been the same


Yeah, when did they serve wings??? Does that mean MA's had a kitchen?! Scary!!!
If I wanted a snack, I hit the vending machine, too....or we would get pizza from Pino's.


Those 17 year old hot fries in the vending machines are still there don't worry non-nerd.

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:51 am
by ryrob
flyingelvii wrote:
apbc12 wrote:
flyingelvii wrote:I think the whole nerdification thing, while true from the 70s and 80s, is overstated in a "I walked 8 mile uphill to and from class" kind of way. It's always better back in your day.


It's also always better before hordes of nerds descend on the campus and ruin a decent party school.

Maybe it's just me but there's never a shortage of parties/goer-outers pretty much every day of the week. Tuesday is MAs, Wednesday is trivia, Thursday is MAs, WonderBar, or J-Tree, Friday and Saturday are whatever, Sunday is usually a day of rest, and Monday is a 50/50. Still plenty of debauchery going on.

Edit: And that was a good joke. I chuckled.


You probably already know this, but White Horse right down the street from The Kells is pretty good on a Thursday too if J-Tree is too crowded. They always have good specials ($2 any type Harpoon for a month) and lots of BC kids are around too. Also, I thought our mod was the only one who drank Key Ice (more drunk for the buck) but I guess there's other pioneers out there too.

In the pizza debate, Roggies Big Daddy slice forever, Prestos/Pinos cardboard shit never.

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:09 am
by flyingelvii
ryrob wrote:
flyingelvii wrote:
apbc12 wrote:
flyingelvii wrote:I think the whole nerdification thing, while true from the 70s and 80s, is overstated in a "I walked 8 mile uphill to and from class" kind of way. It's always better back in your day.


It's also always better before hordes of nerds descend on the campus and ruin a decent party school.

Maybe it's just me but there's never a shortage of parties/goer-outers pretty much every day of the week. Tuesday is MAs, Wednesday is trivia, Thursday is MAs, WonderBar, or J-Tree, Friday and Saturday are whatever, Sunday is usually a day of rest, and Monday is a 50/50. Still plenty of debauchery going on.

Edit: And that was a good joke. I chuckled.


You probably already know this, but White Horse right down the street from The Kells is pretty good on a Thursday too if J-Tree is too crowded. They always have good specials ($2 anytime Harpoon for a month) and lots of BC kids are around too. Also, I thought our mod was the only one who drank Key Ice (more drunk for the buck) but I guess there's other pioneers out there too.

In the pizza debate, Roggies Big Daddy slice forever, Prestos/Pinos cardboard shit never.

Went there once, had a good time, pretty good place. Usually it's we just go someplace "random" depending on how long it takes to get out and if my roommates are being douchers or not. When it's cold and relatively late it's usually just MAs. Best bang for the buck, however, is Antuanua before midnight with $1 drafts of High Life or some shit. Decent mix of non-Euro BU people and BC people. But what would I know, I'm part of the nerdification of BC. This previous sentences are all contingent on me being able to get out of the library. It's just so damn hard certain nights when I have to make sure to get a head start on my paper due in three weeks.

And Blanchards just started carrying Key Ice. I mean, with the black cans and black case, we couldn't afford NOT to do it. And it is probably the best tasting of the cheap Ice beers, so we got that going for us.

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:10 am
by claver2010
Even when I'm wasted Roggies pizza isn't acceptable, ChiChis is the way to go.

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:15 am
by ryrob
flyingelvii wrote:Went there once, had a good time, pretty good place. Usually it's we just go someplace "random" depending on how long it takes to get out and if my roommates are being douchers or not. When it's cold and relatively late it's usually just MAs. Best bang for the buck, however, is Antuanua before midnight with $1 drafts of High Life or some shit. Decent mix of non-Euro BU people and BC people. But what would I know, I'm part of the nerdification of BC. This previous sentences are all contingent on me being able to get out of the library. It's just so damn hard certain nights when I have to make sure to get a head start on my paper due in three weeks.

And Blanchards just started carrying Key Ice. I mean, with the black cans and black case, we couldn't afford NOT to do it. And it is probably the best tasting of the cheap Ice beers, so we got that going for us.


1. An Tua Nua is the shit with 1 dollar drafts and the big dancefloor. Line gets long in a hurry w/ all the BU douchebags if you get there around 10.

2. We had seen the commericals for Key Ice but had never found it til we went into a Chicago liquor store to stock up on beer for our party bus to Notre Dame. Then we got back and the Boston liquor stores had it. Huzzah. So much better than Natty Ice which tastes like diesel fuel.

3. I do agree that there's a fair share of nerds at BC, the simple solution is not to acknowledge their existence or socialize with them. Every senior I know goes out four nights a week, if not more. I've also never stepped foot in Bapst once in my life outside of my initial BC tour.

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:19 am
by flyingelvii
I went to look for a book in Bapst once Freshman year or something. I had no idea how it was organized, gave it the old college try with a lap, left, and used Wikipedia. And that was the last time I set foot in there. And I don't acknowledge the nerds which is why I guess I feel so ignorant as to the claims.

And the best part about the ND trip was finding camo cases of Busch and Miller High Life at Walmart. Another one of those things that I couldn't afford to do.

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:04 am
by ATLeagle
I think these guys are living in TRE's old mod.
Image