Page 5 of 8

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:12 pm
by FirstDownSyndrome
bignick33 wrote:
b0mberMan wrote:
bignick33 wrote:
b0mberMan wrote:
bignick33 wrote:
b0mberMan wrote:
shockdoct wrote:One good memory (from what I remember in the spring of '04) was the wet and wild party in some mod. What an absolute shit show. I remember hearing they called reslife to fix their mod as the entire apt was molding the next week.


Well that's creepy, shock. We've partied together. Those were some good, giving girls who had that mod.


I wonder he Shock ever transitively kissed your weener.


:tdw


I guess I could also thank him for being so generous with the class of 07 females when he was a frosh.


You could thank him and you could thank me. We had a solid class of :skank


Now this is what I miss about college. Every year, there was a fresh batch of unspoiled 18 year olds delivered to your doorstep.


I miss the scouting trips to Newton and Upper at the beginning of each school year.


smh

Re: boston college life pre-nerdification vs. post nerdification

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:17 pm
by angryty
Is anyone else here old enough to remember the El Phoenix. My roomates and I had a tradition of going there at 10 am and getting absolutely smashed after last exams and also anytime the line at MA's was too long. Fantastic nachos, although best not to think what was going on in that kitchen. Also, the local flora including the drunk mailman on disability (like Bizarro Cliff Claven) and the toothless prostitute who was stopping by for a morning cocktail after a night working downtown in the Combat Zone were excellent conversaionalists.

Also, is it true that Great Scott's is now a homohumpathon bar? What a sad ending to White Wednesdays.

Re: boston college life pre-nerdification vs. post nerdification

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:19 pm
by b0mberMan
angryty wrote:Also, is it true that Great Scott's is now a homohumpathon bar? What a sad ending to White Wednesdays.


Depends on your definition. They got a good booking agent and became a hipster bar. Lots of greasy people in tight black jeans, but I've seen some good concerts there the last few years. This happened my senior year. Frosh through junior year it was still the place to go with your real underage ID with a 5 dollar bill under it to get in.

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:20 pm
by WilpertsRevenge
pick6pedro wrote:
ATLeagle wrote:I think these guys are living in TRE's old mod.
Image


They were in the majority of mods in 2002. Sleep until 10:30 on noon football gamedays. Get a frapp. Wonder what the crowd is for. Go study. Meanwhile my mod was up at 7:45 boozing. I would say there were only 3-4 mods that could even compare with our backyard on gamedays. Pisses me off still and it's only gone downhill from there.



Being 03 as well i can concur with this. The guys next to me where nice enough to start each gameday with "move bitch" which always made the 730 beer that much better. to live in the mods know you need a spotless record over 4 years which if you are not part of the nerdification is impossible.

Freshmen year
crimson
who's

sophmore
kinvara
great scott
o'malleys

junior
ma's

senior
ma's
joeys before they remodeled

we would then mix in model silhouette white horse last drop in alot

Re: boston college life pre-nerdification vs. post nerdification

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:20 pm
by b0mberMan
TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:
angryty wrote:Is anyone else here old enough to remember the El Phoenix. My roomates and I had a tradition of going there at 10 am and getting absolutely smashed after last exams and also anytime the line at MA's was too long. Fantastic nachos, although best not to think what was going on in that kitchen. Also, the local flora including the drunk mailman on disability (like Bizarro Cliff Claven) and the toothless prostitute who was stopping by for a morning cocktail after a night working downtown in the Combat Zone were excellent conversaionalists.

Also, is it true that Great Scott's is now a homohumpathon bar? What a sad ending to White Wednesdays.


the phoenix has been revitalized as something a true phoenix regular wouldn't recognize. the only thing to harken back to the heyday are the scary basement bathrooms/dungeons.

many a meal was made out of the phoenix chips and salsa while watching a live episode of jerry springer unfold before your eyes


Where was the Phoenix located? The only bar with that name I know is Phoenix Landing in Central Sq. Eurotrash at night, soccer hooligans during the day.

Re: boston college life pre-nerdification vs. post nerdification

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:25 pm
by b0mberMan
TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:i guess its now harry's bar & grill on comm ave. went there before the fsu monsoon game in 07 and i couldn't recognize the place other than the bathrooms


Oh yeah. It was like 2 other things before it became that.

Re: boston college life pre-nerdification vs. post nerdification

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:26 pm
by BC '00
b0mberMan wrote:
TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:
angryty wrote:Is anyone else here old enough to remember the El Phoenix. My roomates and I had a tradition of going there at 10 am and getting absolutely smashed after last exams and also anytime the line at MA's was too long. Fantastic nachos, although best not to think what was going on in that kitchen. Also, the local flora including the drunk mailman on disability (like Bizarro Cliff Claven) and the toothless prostitute who was stopping by for a morning cocktail after a night working downtown in the Combat Zone were excellent conversaionalists.

Also, is it true that Great Scott's is now a homohumpathon bar? What a sad ending to White Wednesdays.


the phoenix has been revitalized as something a true phoenix regular wouldn't recognize. the only thing to harken back to the heyday are the scary basement bathrooms/dungeons.

many a meal was made out of the phoenix chips and salsa while watching a live episode of jerry springer unfold before your eyes


Where was the Phoenix located? The only bar with that name I know is Phoenix Landing in Central Sq. Eurotrash at night, soccer hooligans during the day.


El Phoenix Room was on Beacon I think, before Coolidge Corner. Can't remember the cross street. I drove by during football season and thought it was gone...or at least a new name. That place was a shithole. I took a date there once...big surprise I got nothing at the end of the night.

Edit: I was very off on the location. I guess it was on Comm Ave. Still about as far down though.

Re: boston college life pre-nerdification vs. post nerdification

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:26 pm
by Endless Mike
If it's any consolation, Harry's has excellent turkey tips and mashed taters. :koolaid

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:28 pm
by BC '00
b0mberMan wrote:
WilpertsRevenge wrote:
b0mberMan wrote:
RegalBCeagle wrote:Yah, but have any of you taken a crap at Maryann's?


Following a Godzilla burger. The double Eagle,or the duece as we called it.



I did once but it was early and the bleach was still fresh. Only once have i ever walked in on someone though. Poor kid.


There was a real classy broad my year who managed to take a whiz in the men's urinal during peak hours. Good balance, I'd imagine.


Friend of mine dropped a deuce in the MA's mens' room spring of sr year (2000) and had his buddy take a picture. Went in early afternoon on a Tuesday or something to minimize the trauma.

Re: boston college life pre-nerdification vs. post nerdification

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:33 pm
by JConman
We spent a lot of time at the El Phoenix, although less time each year as we got better IDs or turned 21. They rarely carded there. There was a toothless black guy there all the time- can't remember his name. Manny?

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:33 pm
by ryrob
pick6pedro wrote:
ATLeagle wrote:I think these guys are living in TRE's old mod.
Image


They were in the majority of mods in 2002. Sleep until 10:30 on noon football gamedays. Get a frapp. Wonder what the crowd is for. Go study. Meanwhile my mod was up at 7:45 boozing. I would say there were only 3-4 mods that could even compare with our backyard on gamedays. Pisses me off still and it's only gone downhill from there.


Our mod is right by the fence facing Vandy and I'd say our backyards were pretty awesome for Gameday, if only for taunting underage kids who couldn't get in and mocking fat kids trying to climb over. Also, the kids who lived there before us (class of '09) built a doorway (or smashed one) at the top of stairs that connected to the mod next to them. Inefficient, yes, but still awesome. You can still see the outline where ResLife had to fill in the gap.

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:35 pm
by pick6pedro
eagle9903 wrote:
pick6pedro wrote:
b0mberMan wrote:
eagle9903 wrote:
Chicken Patties wrote:
TontoKowalski wrote:Local 186 was the best. Even the Armadillo is better than whatever sad piece of shit lives there now. Ditto Arbuckles and the Avenue - closing Arbuckles meant Chet had no reason to live.

Presto > Pinos.

The most tragic bar closing ever was Gerlondo's becoming the White Horse. You'd see amazing things at Gerlondo's.


Armadillo and its overly agressive, id snatching asian bouncer sucked ass. I will agree on Gerlondos though. That place was the tits. I once watched 3 hours of the nancy kerrigan beat down coverage there and was probably the only person at the bar not cashing their paycheck. O'malleys and silhouettes were also ok if you didn't mind drinking with the locals.



Without a doubt, I thought my group of friends were the only ones to attend this establishment(<<arrogance I guess). OId Irish couple, cats in the bar, cases stacked all around the booths. It was not exactly a happening scene but you most assuredly would not be turned away for being underage.


O'Malley's was a beacon of light my freshman year. That old lady who checked every ID had no idea what she was doing.

They sadly closed the next year, leading us to do our underage drinking at some karoake japanese bar by BU.


Ah, good ol' Red. He was a quick witted ex-Marine with stories out the wazzu. Remember the map on the wall that had pins in it? He told us the pins were for all the girls he'd banged. There were a shitload of pins. And did he show you the place in George Harrison's book that he claimed he was mentioned? Good guy. I always assumed that it closed because he died...hopefully mid reverse cowboy. RIP Red!


weren't there pornographic wall tiles in the bathroom as well?


Indeed. What a rare and dying piece of Americana.

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:36 pm
by eagle9903
WilpertsRevenge wrote:
pick6pedro wrote:
ATLeagle wrote:I think these guys are living in TRE's old mod.
Image


They were in the majority of mods in 2002. Sleep until 10:30 on noon football gamedays. Get a frapp. Wonder what the crowd is for. Go study. Meanwhile my mod was up at 7:45 boozing. I would say there were only 3-4 mods that could even compare with our backyard on gamedays. Pisses me off still and it's only gone downhill from there.



Being 03 as well i can concur with this. The guys next to me where nice enough to start each gameday with "move bitch" which always made the 730 beer that much better. to live in the mods know you need a spotless record over 4 years which if you are not part of the nerdification is impossible.

Freshmen year
crimson
who's

sophmore
kinvara
great scott
o'malleys

junior
ma's

senior
ma's
joeys before they remodeled

we would then mix in model silhouette white horse last drop in alot


ahhh, but there was a loophole to the spotless record requirement. I had to live on college road sophomore year which was under construction the whole year, and took well longer than was promised(they almost blew it up one day too as i recall by brilliantly using a jackhammer adjacent to a propane tank), therefore they gave us first pick of housing senior year regardless of housing/academic discipline.

Re: boston college life pre-nerdification vs. post nerdification

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:38 pm
by WilpertsRevenge
True for 03 but not since

also how i ended up in the mods although i personally didn't live on college rd

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:42 pm
by pick6pedro
eagle9903 wrote:
WilpertsRevenge wrote:
pick6pedro wrote:
ATLeagle wrote:I think these guys are living in TRE's old mod.
Image


They were in the majority of mods in 2002. Sleep until 10:30 on noon football gamedays. Get a frapp. Wonder what the crowd is for. Go study. Meanwhile my mod was up at 7:45 boozing. I would say there were only 3-4 mods that could even compare with our backyard on gamedays. Pisses me off still and it's only gone downhill from there.



Being 03 as well i can concur with this. The guys next to me where nice enough to start each gameday with "move bitch" which always made the 730 beer that much better. to live in the mods know you need a spotless record over 4 years which if you are not part of the nerdification is impossible.

Freshmen year
crimson
who's

sophmore
kinvara
great scott
o'malleys

junior
ma's

senior
ma's
joeys before they remodeled

we would then mix in model silhouette white horse last drop in alot


ahhh, but there was a loophole to the spotless record requirement. I had to live on college road sophomore year which was under construction the whole year, and took well longer than was promised(they almost blew it up one day too as i recall by brilliantly using a jackhammer adjacent to a propane tank), therefore they gave us first pick of housing senior year regardless of housing/academic discipline.


I'd like to contest this spotless record requirement, as 2 of my direct mod roommates were both almost thrown out freshman year (both for very different reasons) - one ending up on quintuple secret probation. And plenty of people I know who had records were in line to get one if only the lottery fell their way.

It is also possible to have a (mostly) spotless record and not be a complete nerd. You need some luck and some guile.

Re: boston college life pre-nerdification vs. post nerdification

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:47 pm
by bignick33
Any truth to the rumor that football player were prohibited from living in a mod after they bashed the downstairs wall down between two adjacent mods to make it a super-mod?

Also, the guys in the mod next to mine inexplicably had a dog.

Re: boston college life pre-nerdification vs. post nerdification

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:51 pm
by Endless Mike
bignick33 wrote:Any truth to the rumor that football player were prohibited from living in a mod after they bashed the downstairs wall down between two adjacent mods to make it a super-mod?

Also, the guys in the mod next to mine inexplicably had a dog.


Football players weren't allowed to live in Mods. In 2003 and 2004 a lot of them lived on the first floor of Ignacio. They had a picnic table set up on the lawn and they'd climb in and out of their windows to get to it. So it was sort of a big makeshift Mod.

EDIT: the story that I heard from housing people was that they knocked down a brick wall to connect a common room to the front entrance part. I don't think that was in the Mods though. I think the cops just didn't want them in the Mods because of the ridiculous parties they'd throw. A lot of them lived in Edmonds in 2000/2001, and there was a rumor that once a year, they would throw a huge party that would take up an entire floor on Edmonds, it would spill out into the hallways, and the cops agreed to ignore it.

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:55 pm
by ryrob
pick6pedro wrote:


I'd like to contest this spotless record requirement, as 2 of my direct mod roommates were both almost thrown out freshman year (both for very different reasons) - one ending up on quintuple secret probation. And plenty of people I know who had records were in line to get one if only the lottery fell their way.

It is also possible to have a (mostly) spotless record and not be a complete nerd. You need some luck and some guile.


As if I needed to add fire to the nerd debate, they got rid of the physical lottery line last year. It's all online now and one of the great moments of each year is now done in 3 seconds by your group leader through Agora.

Re: boston college life pre-nerdification vs. post nerdification

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:55 pm
by Endless Mike
bignick33 wrote:Also, the guys in the mod next to mine inexplicably had a dog.


Did anyone who went from 2000 through 2004 hear a story about some guys in Gabelli who had a baby crocodile living in a kiddie pool in their common room?

Re: boston college life pre-nerdification vs. post nerdification

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:56 pm
by b0mberMan
Endless Mike wrote:
bignick33 wrote:Also, the guys in the mod next to mine inexplicably had a dog.


Did anyone who went from 2000 through 2004 hear a story about some guys in Gabelli who had a baby crocodile living in a kiddie pool in their common room?


That was the best police blotter entry: "Animal control removes a pet crocodile and boa constrictor from a dorm room in Gabelli"

Re: boston college life pre-nerdification vs. post nerdification

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:57 pm
by eagle9903
Endless Mike wrote:
bignick33 wrote:Also, the guys in the mod next to mine inexplicably had a dog.


Did anyone who went from 2000 through 2004 hear a story about some guys in Gabelli who had a baby crocodile living in a kiddie pool in their common room?



was gabelli moxtly that weird interest housing like french housing and shit? if so it almost seems likely

Re: Should we start a "Chase Rettig Watch" thread?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:03 pm
by twballgame9
Chicken Patties wrote:
TontoKowalski wrote:Local 186 was the best. Even the Armadillo is better than whatever sad piece of shit lives there now. Ditto Arbuckles and the Avenue - closing Arbuckles meant Chet had no reason to live.

Presto > Pinos.

The most tragic bar closing ever was Gerlondo's becoming the White Horse. You'd see amazing things at Gerlondo's.


Armadillo and its overly agressive, id snatching asian bouncer sucked ass. I will agree on Gerlondos though. That place was the tits. I once watched 3 hours of the nancy kerrigan beat down coverage there and was probably the only person at the bar not cashing their paycheck. O'malleys and silhouettes were also ok if you didn't mind drinking with the locals.


I was in Gerlando's once and the whole place was a party for the deaf. I was pretty sauced at this point, so you can imagine that I earned frequent flier miles for my trip to hell.

Re: boston college life pre-nerdification vs. post nerdification

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:03 pm
by eagle9903
TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:
eagle9903 wrote:

was gabelli moxtly that weird interest housing like french housing and shit?


you nerds are not helping yourself out any with these revealations

how many of you had butterfly collections?



there's really no point in denying that the nerdification was on its due course probably even before my freshman year of 1999, so why bother.

also i preferred stamps, dick.

Re: boston college life pre-nerdification vs. post nerdification

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:21 pm
by ATLeagle
Football players were banned from the Mods by the time I got there (Fall '94). Urban legend was that Coughlin put it in motion and Henning upheld it. I believe some players got in trouble for serving minors. I think this was around the time they banned kegs in the Mods.

Re: boston college life pre-nerdification vs. post nerdification

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:24 pm
by Bryn Mawr Eagle
Kegs had been banned from campus by the time I got there in '88. I think it had just gone into effect in the year or two before that - I remember the upperclassmen were still up in arms about it.

Re: boston college life pre-nerdification vs. post nerdification

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:25 pm
by BC '00
Was anyone there before they banned fraternities? The rumor I always heard was that they banned greeks after a frat and a sorority tricked a twin brother/sister into having sex with each other. Anyone else hear that rumor? Any truth to it?

Re: boston college life pre-nerdification vs. post nerdification

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:26 pm
by Endless Mike
BC '00 wrote:Was anyone there before they banned fraternities? The rumor I always heard was that they banned greeks after a frat and a sorority tricked a twin brother/sister into having sex with each other. Anyone else hear that rumor? Any truth to it?


I could be wrong here, but I don't think BC ever had a Greek system. Your story sounds like an urban legend.

Re: boston college life pre-nerdification vs. post nerdification

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:28 pm
by BC '00
Endless Mike wrote:
BC '00 wrote:Was anyone there before they banned fraternities? The rumor I always heard was that they banned greeks after a frat and a sorority tricked a twin brother/sister into having sex with each other. Anyone else hear that rumor? Any truth to it?


I could be wrong here, but I don't think BC ever had a Greek system. Your story sounds like an urban legend.


Supposedly all the buildings on College Rd (AHANA House, etc) used to be fraternity row.

Re: boston college life pre-nerdification vs. post nerdification

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:43 pm
by angryty
The campus keg ban went into effect in the late 80s but I think it was largely ignored in the early 90s judging from the fact that I knew a group of guys who would walk into Alumni around 8:00 am and shove a pony keg up into the brackets below the bleachers and thread the tap up to where it could be used while sitting above the keg. I believe there practice came to an abrupt end after the 91 game when one of the partakers famously jumped down into the tunnel to tell a Miami RB who was seriously injured that he hoped he never walked again. This running back was a particularly promising freshman or sophomore from Brooklyn (I think it was Steven Davis). He never did play again, but later became a NYC cop (now a homicide detective) and is probably the only Cane from that era who ended up on the right side of the law.

The BC student in question later got into trouble for throwing down a dunk and posterizing Sara Behn with his crotch during what was supposed to be a friendly pick up game in the practice gym at Conte. Today, he is a gynocolgist in Dallas, married with five kids. I saw him at the BC-Rutgers throwback uniform game a few years ago and all he did was lament at the sheer 74 of the new tailgating rules and the nerdification of his beloved alma mater.

Re: boston college life pre-nerdification vs. post nerdification

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:46 pm
by bignick33
TobaccoRoadEagle wrote:
BC '00 wrote:
Endless Mike wrote:
BC '00 wrote:Was anyone there before they banned fraternities? The rumor I always heard was that they banned greeks after a frat and a sorority tricked a twin brother/sister into having sex with each other. Anyone else hear that rumor? Any truth to it?


I could be wrong here, but I don't think BC ever had a Greek system. Your story sounds like an urban legend.


Supposedly all the buildings on College Rd (AHANA House, etc) used to be fraternity row.


i'm calling :tre on this story.

in other news, football players were banned from the mods and mary anns the minute tc arrived on campus. jobias allegedly followed suit, but did not punish for the players that ignored


I think it's safe to say that Coach Handsome doesn't have the same rule about Mary Ann's. See Harley, Kenny and Bryant, Andrew.