Clemson is -7

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Clemson is -7

Postby RegalBCeagle on Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:28 am

cut68 {l Wrote}:Here's the thing. For BC to win, You'll have to get a good pass rush OR the DB's will have to play really, really well. BC does not have the speed to match what we can put on the outside. You just don't. If we can buy Parker the time to go deep down the field, he will find those guys.

You are 100% correct, sir. I posted this in another thread, but I wanted to throw it up here as evidence of your excellent research and analytical skills:

The results are clear. BC cannot hang with the speed of teams in the ACC commonly understood to possess the best speed in the league.

I give you exhibit A. BC's record against "Speed Teams" since 2005
Clemson - 3 Wins, 1 Loss
FSU - 2 Wins, 2 Losses
Miami - 1 Win, 1 Loss

Overall, 6-4. The proof's in the pudding - BC just doesn't have the speed to compete with these teams. For good measure, we can throw in VaTech, where BC is 3-3. That's not a very good record considering other ACC teams have had a lot more success against them. The evidence doesn't lie.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby BCMike22 on Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:30 am

Bet down to -6.5...think it will drop to 6 or 5.5 by kickoff.
BCMike22
n00b

Postby hansen on Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:31 am

cut68 {l Wrote}:Here's the thing. For BC to win, You'll have to get a good pass rush OR the DB's will have to play really, really well. BC does not have the speed to match what we can put on the outside. You just don't. If we can buy Parker the time to go deep down the field, he will find those guys. Oh, and I've been reading about how all Clemson has is Spiller and Ford. Keep an eye on the TE's. They are talented and very underrated. We also have a stable of backs that can perform. Biggest question for Clemson is if we can fix the weak link at Right Tackle. The starter got benched after being absolutely abused by GT. If his replacement (last years starter) can be any kind of improvement, and if the younger WR's can catch the ball, The Tigers will be tough to keep up with. If we continue to see the drops, or if a DE comes off the edge unblocked on every snap, this will continue to be a very up-and-down offense, with big plays but no consistency.

i believe the secondary is one of BC's three strengths this year. the other two being the RBs and the Oline. i'm still most concerned about how our young LBs do and whether or not we can contain Spiller. Spiller is a beast.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:35 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
cut68 {l Wrote}:Here's the thing. For BC to win, You'll have to get a good pass rush OR the DB's will have to play really, really well. BC does not have the speed to match what we can put on the outside. You just don't. If we can buy Parker the time to go deep down the field, he will find those guys. Oh, and I've been reading about how all Clemson has is Spiller and Ford. Keep an eye on the TE's. They are talented and very underrated. We also have a stable of backs that can perform. Biggest question for Clemson is if we can fix the weak link at Right Tackle. The starter got benched after being absolutely abused by GT. If his replacement (last years starter) can be any kind of improvement, and if the younger WR's can catch the ball, The Tigers will be tough to keep up with. If we continue to see the drops, or if a DE comes off the edge unblocked on every snap, this will continue to be a very up-and-down offense, with big plays but no consistency.

i believe the secondary is one of BC's three strengths this year. the other two being the RBs and the Oline. i'm still most concerned about how our young LBs do and whether or not we can contain Spiller. Spiller is a beast.

The LBs are good, but young. I think we may see one or two plays where they bite or over-commit and that results in a big play.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby cut68 on Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:42 am

We had a different offensive scheme in the past. The offense in years past was based around bubble screens, quick outs, running off tackle. By focusing the running game outside the tackles, it limited the effectiveness of the play action. I'm not denying that your defense has been sound, and probably will continue to be. My point was that if you let Parker sit back there all day with no pass rush, Jacoby Ford will run past anyone you have on the field. I didn't suggest that this would be a blow-out, in fact the only way this game could be a blow out would be if you kick to Spiller and Ford. I think your best bet to score will be on intermediate routes that count on our LBs to cover. Our Defense is very, very sound, and we haven't seen them play a traditional offense yet, which is what they've practiced the most for. I think scoring on special teams will be huge, because if I remember correctly, you guys have a decent return man too.
cut68
n00b

Postby branchinator on Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:46 am

Does Clemson have more speed than Lane Stadium? Because you'd think that if we can handle Lane Stadium's speed, then Clemson's speed shouldn't be a problem, no?
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:46 am

Regular season 21-11

Clemson------- 3-1
Wake Forest---3-1
Florida State---2-2
Maryland--------3-1
NC State--------3-1

ATLANTIC-----14-6

Virginia Tech --3-1 RIVAL
Miami-----------1-1
Virginia---------1-0
Duke------------1-0
UNC-------------0-2
Georgia Tech--1-1

COASTAL-----7-5

ACC Championship Games

Virginia Tech 0-2

21-13
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:49 am

WEEK 1 SEASON 5 -- Update after Clemson Thursday Night

1-C-Virginia Tech----------25-07 BC---------- 2-1 ACC CG -- 27-08
2-C-Georgia Tech ---------22-11 CLEMSON--0-1 ACC CG -- 22-12
3-A-Boston College--------21-11 VT-----------0-2 ACC CG -- 21-13
4-A-Wake Forest ---------18-14 DUKE-- -----1-0 ACC CG -- 19-14
5-A-Clemson---------------18-15 GT
6-A-Florida State----------17-16 Miami-------1-0 ACCCG -- 18-16
7-C-Virginia----------------16-16 Maryland
9-C-Miami------------------16-17 FSU
8-A-Maryland--------------15-17 Virginia
10-C-North Carolina------13-19 NCSTATE
11-A-NC State-------------12-20 UNC
12-C-Duke------------------01-31 Wake Forest
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby cut68 on Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:57 am

Yes, Clemson's fastest skill players are faster that VT's fastest skill players. I don't think there's any debating that. Clemson has NCAA winning track speed at 2 positions on offense. No other team in football can say that. Please don't skew that as me saying Clemson in the fastest team in football. But they do have the fastest 2 person tandem in college football. That's not my opinion, it's Fact.
cut68
n00b

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:59 am

cut68 {l Wrote}:Yes, Clemson's fastest skill players are faster that VT's fastest skill players. I don't think there's any debating that. Clemson has NCAA winning track speed at 2 positions on offense. No other team in football can say that. Please don't skew that as me saying Clemson in the fastest team in football. But they do have the fastest 2 person tandem in college football. That's not my opinion, it's Fact.

Spiller and Ford are fast. But you don't get to run uninterrupted in a straight line on the football field. Speed can be contained.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:02 am

Stupid fucking speed myth again.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby cut68 on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:03 am

Agreed, It can be contained. You hope it will be, I hope it won't be. That's why they play the game
cut68
n00b

Postby branchinator on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:07 am

cut68 {l Wrote}:Agreed, It can be contained. You hope it will be, I hope it won't be. That's why they play the game

Keep in mind that Clemson's players will have to be able to successfully transfer the baton during Saturday's track meet. Should you drop it, you'll be disqualified and BC will automatically win. I believe that technicality is how we won in Death Valley in 2005 and 2007.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:08 am

Newsflash to Teh Clemson. You have two guys that are faster than anyone on the field. Across the board, however, BC is just as fast as you. And they play 11 on 11, not 2 on 2.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Onyx Blackman on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:13 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Newsflash to Teh Clemson. You have two guys that are faster than anyone on the field. Across the board, however, BC is just as fast as you. And they play 11 on 11, not 2 on 2.

Correction: Clemson has the second and third fastest players on the field.

Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby cut68 on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:20 am

Are you suggesting Smith is Faster than Ford or Spiller? That's funny.
cut68
n00b

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:20 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Newsflash to Teh Clemson. You have two guys that are faster than anyone on the field. Across the board, however, BC is just as fast as you. And they play 11 on 11, not 2 on 2.

That's just not true.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:20 am

cut68 {l Wrote}:Are you suggesting Smith is Faster than Ford or Spiller? That's funny.

No. This is funny. :ginger
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:21 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

That's just not true.

It most definitely is true.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:22 am

cut68 {l Wrote}:Are you suggesting Smith is Faster than Ford or Spiller? That's funny.

No I am suggesting Jeff Smith is faster than the Clemson kick off coverage (which included Spiller and Ford that day)

:whammy
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby apbc12 on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:25 am

Just wait until we put Smith and Ryan Lindsey on the field at the same time. Teh Clemson's helmets will be ripped off by the displacement of air as BC's burners "run" past. I put "run" in quotes, because it's really more of a teleportation from one spot to another (the second being the end zone. Every time.).
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:29 am

Smith would beat them in the 200, not the 100. In high school, he finished second in the nation in the 200.

http://bceagles.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/smith_jeff00.html

Obviously this means Spiller and Ford have better football speed and we are not actually comparing Smith to these guys. He doesn't play. But he did tear you guys apart on kickoffs in 2006.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:30 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

That's just not true.

I would love to see a race matching up these units:

Clemson WRs versus ours. Maybe Billie Flutie can pull it out, I don't know.
Clemson LBs versus ours. Mike Morrissey anybody?
WRS and so on.

They are faster.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby cut68 on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:31 am

If BC is really as fast, across the board, as Clemson, than all of you are right, and the rest of the country is wrong, because if Clemson doesn't have an advantage in speed and athleticism, They will lose, no question. If your gameplan is around being quicker and faster, and you're not, than you typically lose
cut68
n00b

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:33 am

cut68 {l Wrote}:If BC is really as fast, across the board, as Clemson, than all of you are right, and the rest of the country is wrong, because if Clemson doesn't have an advantage in speed and athleticism, They will lose, no question. If your gameplan is around being quicker and faster, and you're not, than you typically lose

I believe tw is the only arguing that BC can match your speed.

Others are simply arguing that speed has helped you guys beat us just once in four tries. BC usually plays better sound football than Clemson. We are typically better coached and play smarter football. I'm not saying BC is going to win on Saturday, I'm just thinking about the past four contests.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:34 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

That's just not true.

WRS and so on.

They are faster.

You pick our 7th WR and 8th LB to make your point?

I've seen BC twice and Clemson once. Kuechly and LeGrande will be the two fastest LBs on the field Saturday. Anb while Jacoby Ford has world class speed, and would win a race, I'll take Larmond, Lee and Gunnell.

Plus, BC has two very large, very fast safeties lurking for the actual football game.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby apbc12 on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:35 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:in other news that has no bearing on anything football related... who's the fastest miler?

That's genius. Somebody get Hicham El Guerrouj on the phone.

Edit: On second thought, people always say the season is a marathon, not a sprint, or even a middle distance. I think we should recruit Ryan Hall.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:38 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

That's just not true.

WRS and so on.

They are faster.

I've seen BC twice and Clemson once. Kuechly and LeGrande will be the two fastest LBs on the field Saturday. Anb while Jacoby Ford has world class speed, and would win a race, I'll take Larmond, Lee and Gunnell.

Plus, BC has two very large, very fast safeties lurking for the actual football game.

I love our defensive backfield. It is the best I have ever seen at Chestnut Hill. That is why I think we have a chance to win despite our DL being suspect and the youth at LB.

But come on, tw. Players 1-85?? BC would not win that track meet.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:42 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

That's just not true.

WRS and so on.

They are faster.

I love our defensive backfield. It is the best I have ever seen at Chestnut Hill. That is why I think we have a chance to win despite our DL being suspect and the youth at LB.

But come on, tw. Players 1-85?? BC would not win that track meet.

Thank GOD we're playing a football game, then.

This argument is stupid. If Ford and Spiller get into space, yes, they are going to do damage. Same can be said for Larmond, Lee, Haden, Smith, etc. But it's not as if we'll be tripping over our feet left and right to catch up to these guys.

Our clemson friend here said that 1) their Oline is suspect and 2) they've been running between the tacklets more. Great. The last few years, I feel like that combo has helped us contain Spiller. When he goes outside, he's more of a threat for us.

GT's secondary did a piss poor job of covering Ford, and as such when he got open Parker got it to him. Our experience on defense is in the secondary. And Ford's a small guy. Let Davis or Bowman pop him in the mouth a few times and see what does when he gets rattled. That doesn't happen too often at track meets.

We'll be fine. This game won't be a blowout because we can't beat Clemson in a track meet.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:43 am

cut68 {l Wrote}:If BC is really as fast, across the board, as Clemson, than all of you are right, and the rest of the country is wrong, because if Clemson doesn't have an advantage in speed and athleticism, They will lose, no question. If your gameplan is around being quicker and faster, and you're not, than you typically lose

The rest of the country is always wrong about BC's speed and athleticism. That's (a) because they never watch them play and (b) why they are so shocked when BC ends up beating Clemson and FSU for the division back to back years. BC's speed is only getting better from the last 4 games.

I think this is a pick em game, with a slight edge to Clemson at home. But that is because of BC's lack of experience at QB and LB, not because of speed. But, if as you say, Clemson is no longer focused on screens, then the LB thing worries me less.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium