EAGLES AT TIGERS WEEKLONG DISCUSSION THREAD

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: EAGLES AT TIGERS WEEKLONG DISCUSSION THREAD

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:11 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:What time a game is on tv doesn't make a rivalry, it makes good tv. If we're honest with ourselves FSU has only ever been an 8PM game more because of FSU than us. Last year it was the Blackout, when BC entered the ACC it was only because it was our first ACC game.

You missed 2007, when BC was certainly the reason it was a night game.

i thought it was the monsoon (that king of dicks claimed never happened)

Did he really say that? Did he say it because talon said there was a monsoon?
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:14 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:
What time a game is on tv doesn't make a rivalry, it makes good tv. If we're honest with ourselves FSU has only ever been an 8PM game more because of FSU than us. Last year it was the Blackout, when BC entered the ACC it was only because it was our first ACC game. I mean, in the four years I was there Michigan- Ohio State was a 3:30 game, never an 8PM game so arguing over whether game time and tv coverage makes a rivalry just doesn't make sense.

:angrychicken

The what time the game is on point was to rebut the retarded idea that the ND game gives BC more publicity.

And ND is not a rivalry. Playing a team 4 years in a row every once in a while doth not a rivalry make.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:38 pm

I remember reading quotes from the team that, regardless of how they're doing that point in the season, they always sack up to play ND. It's a rivalry. Last two Catholic schools in DI football makes it that and whether they want to admit it or not, ND fans want to beat us as much as we want to beat them.

Clemson is becoming a new rivalry. In the bookstore at BC they sell a picture of BC playing Clemson (in leather helmets) at Fenway in 1917 or something, so there's history there and the fact that the last four games have been decided by an average of less than 3 points I think says something about a rivalry.

What time a game is on tv doesn't make a rivalry, it makes good tv. If we're honest with ourselves FSU has only ever been an 8PM game more because of FSU than us. Last year it was the Blackout, when BC entered the ACC it was only because it was our first ACC game. I mean, in the four years I was there Michigan- Ohio State was a 3:30 game, never an 8PM game so arguing over whether game time and tv coverage makes a rivalry just doesn't make sense.

At any rate, there's no reason to force the fun with a rivalry. Fact of the matter is, right now, Clemson seems to be turning into a rivalry game and VT looks like its shaping up to be a rivalry too.

Either way, I just want to beat both of them.

"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:47 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:I remember reading quotes from the team that, regardless of how they're doing that point in the season, they always sack up to play ND. It's a rivalry. Last two Catholic schools in DI football makes it that and whether they want to admit it or not, ND fans want to beat us as much as we want to beat them.

Clemson is becoming a new rivalry. In the bookstore at BC they sell a picture of BC playing Clemson (in leather helmets) at Fenway in 1917 or something, so there's history there and the fact that the last four games have been decided by an average of less than 3 points I think says something about a rivalry.

At any rate, there's no reason to force the fun with a rivalry. Fact of the matter is, right now, Clemson seems to be turning into a rivalry game and VT looks like its shaping up to be a rivalry too.

I wasn't too convinced by your first post. But now you've really convinced me.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:57 pm

Don't know why that got posted a second time. Glad to see I was able to sway you though bomberman. I'll get rid of that second one.

BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:24 am

Raining and showers...

Is Tuggle a mudder?
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby CousinClem on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:17 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:Pre-ACC:

Clemson: 14 games (including a matchup in a Cotton Bowl and the tie in 1982 ruined their shot at an undefeated season)
Duke: 3 games, none since 1929
FSU: 3 games
GT: 5 games
Maryland: 2 games
NC State: 2 games, none since 1937
UNC: 3 games (that's including the ACC preview in the Tire Bowl - a matchup that probably wouldn't have happened if BC wasn't moving to the ACC the following year)
UVA: 2 games (including the Carquest Bowl)
WF: 12 games, 10 of which were played before 1954

Of all the ACC teams (except VA Tech and Miami), we really have the most history with Clemson.

good work by talon as always. :screamyeagle

Just for the record a tie doesn't prevent an undefeated season. We had already lost our first game to Georgia on Labor Day Monday. I remember on the way to the game in 1982 I told my dad I had watched the BC/TAMU game, I think it was. I was concerned about Fluties ability to improvise when things went bad. He did enough.
CousinClem
n00b

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:22 pm

Cousin Clem is on the Board.

Wow! How many years does that make?

Good health and best wishes to you and your family.

If Clemson wins, then burn in hell for all of eternity.... :o :o :o :lol: :P

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby talon on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:31 pm

CousinClem {l Wrote}:Just for the record a tie doesn't prevent an undefeated season.

I think of a tie as a half-win half-loss.

In the 2002 NFL season, Atlanta and Pittsburgh both tied. Atlanta finished the season with a 9-6-1 record and a .594 winning percentage. Pittsburgh finished the season with a 10-5-1 record and a .656 winning percentage.

For that math to work, Atlanta must have had 9.5 wins in 16 game and Pittsburgh must have had 10.5 wins in 16 game. If a tie only counts halfway towards a win, the other half must be counted as a loss.

For some reason, I thought the BC-Clemson tie was significant because it ruined Clemson's chances of a national championship. I forgot that it was because they won the national championship the previous year. my bad.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby talon on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:52 pm

If BC and teh Clemson played a neutral site game on Bouvet Island, who would bring more fans?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby CousinClem on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:12 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Cousin Clem is on the Board.

Hey Eagle74, I am going to be at the game tomorrow with a good supply of bourbon. Any chance you will be there? I was 26 in 82. It was just yesterday.

As far as the 82 game I was sure we were going to win because the kicker we had then was hitting 60+ yard attemps. He missed of course. A funny thing I remember happening was the tiger mascot had a paper mache eagle that he placed in the endzone and shot with our cannon. He then pounced on the smoldering eagle. After he started walking back to the student section he yanked the head off of his tiger suit and smoke was rolling out. He had to strip right there because the padding in the suit was on fire.
CousinClem
n00b

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:20 pm

CousinClem {l Wrote}:
BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:Cousin Clem is on the Board.

Hey Eagle74, I am going to be at the game tomorrow with a good supply of bourbon. Any chance you will be there? I was 26 in 82. It was just yesterday.

As far as the 82 game I was sure we were going to win because the kicker we had then was hitting 60+ yard attemps. He missed of course. A funny thing I remember happening was the tiger mascot had a paper mache eagle that he placed in the endzone and shot with our cannon. He then pounced on the smoldering eagle. After he started walking back to the student section he yanked the head off of his tiger suit and smoke was rolling out. He had to strip right there because the padding in the suit was on fire.

LMAO!!!

Boy I have those "just like yesterday" flashbacks every day.

The more days, the more flashbacks.

I probably made more mistakes in career selection and whatever in life, but at least I married a solid Horned Frog, so I avoided being homeless and dead... :lol:

One day, I shall dirve up and drink with you. We can sober up Mez and I'll stop in Easley, check on the Bratwurst Tree Farm ---my only retirement nest egg-- and grab his 3 girls.

Soon..I am working on the Megamillions but those miserable fucks will not pick my numbers.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby mezmrin on Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:14 pm

ME, you should be thrilled about the leather helmet game. its going to be a lot harder to kick yall OUT of the ACC if there's a helmet riding on the game each year. i'm just saying is all
mezmrin
Clemson Ambassador

Postby BCMurt09 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:04 pm

Just stepped off the plane in Greenville, SC. I couldn't help but notice as I got of the plane, though, this certain smell in the air. Smelled like... Victory (not napalm, though I hear that smells like victory too).

BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:46 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:Just stepped off the plane in Greenville, SC. I couldn't help but notice as I got of the plane, though, this certain smell in the air. Smelled like... Victory (not napalm, though I hear that smells like victory too).

BBQ pig guts. Same as Cowtown.

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:45 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:I remember reading quotes from the team that, regardless of how they're doing that point in the season, they always sack up to play ND. It's a rivalry. Last two Catholic schools in DI football makes it that and whether they want to admit it or not, ND fans want to beat us as much as we want to beat them.

I wasn't too convinced by your first post. But now you've really convinced me.

seriously, WTF with the double posters... :lame
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium