EAGLES AT TIGERS WEEKLONG DISCUSSION THREAD

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: EAGLES AT TIGERS WEEKLONG DISCUSSION THREAD

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:44 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:I don't see what making this a trophy game has to do with stamping eagles on bills or touching the eagle statue. If two teams play each other regularly and have developed a good rivalry, someone has to take the initiative and recognize it as a trophy game. How is it any more "forced" than the ND trophy?

At least BC and ND have that Holy War thing going on and it is a more natural rival regardless of what the too cool for school BC/ND fans want to admit./quote]

You mean the rivalry with a name we lifted from the BYU-Utah rivalry? That seems a little forced.

NBC labeled it that in 1992. Not BC.

Ah yes, 1992 when it became a regular game. Why don't we just call ourselves the Trojans at this point, trying to have an annual rivalry with ND? Seems forced, still.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:46 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Ah yes, 1992 when it became a regular game. Why don't we just call ourselves the Trojans at this point, trying to have an annual rivalry with ND? Seems forced, still.

Yes, much like your argument.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:51 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Well you crapped on new attempts to start traditions as "forced" and imitations of other schools and then point to our great "tradition" with Notre Dame. Which started in earnest in 1992 and has been and will continue to be marked by inconsistent and sporadic scheduling as ND looks for more neutral site games against Big East competition. Yes, historic tradition. But, it is a game that like it or not alot of BC fans look forward to. It had to start sometime. Much like the leather helmet had to start sometime.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:53 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:At least BC and ND have that Holy War thing going on and it is a more natural rival regardless of what the too cool for school BC/ND fans want to admit. Clemson is a rival in terms of the ACC Atlantic but is no different than WF, Maryland, NCSU, or FSU.

We should have the Hen Bowl when we play NCSU. Loser gets a dozen eggs.

Our games against Maryland, WF, NCSU, or FSU haven't come down to the final play each time. Furthermore those games all take a back seat to Clemson when it comes to favorite road trips. BC also has a history of playing Clemson back in the early 80's. And those schools all take a back seat to Clemson when it comes to favorite ACC road trips for BC fans. Both BC and Clemson decided they wanted to play a trophy game because they've already established a great rivalry.

If anything the forced rivalry is the one with Virginia Tech, because the ACC told both teams "You're going to be cross-divisional rivals now". That's as "forced" as it gets.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:53 am

Leather Helmet rocks.

Ireland Trophy is stupid.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:56 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Well you crapped on new attempts to start traditions as "forced" and imitations of other schools and then point to our great "tradition" with Notre Dame. Which started in earnest in 1992 and has been and will continue to be marked by inconsistent and sporadic scheduling as ND looks for more neutral site games against Big East competition. Yes, historic tradition. But, it is a game that like it or not alot of BC fans look forward to. It had to start sometime. Much like the leather helmet had to start sometime.

Perhaps you didn't get your 8 hours of sleep last night and are a little moody, I don't know. But I never called it a great tradition with Notre Dame. I said "At least we have the Holy War thing going on". Meaning, it's not much, but it's more than anything else we have. I'm sorry my "a little forced" comment got you so upset.

Ultimately, I don't care whether BC has any rivals. Win championships and then everybody will want to play/beat you.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:59 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Perhaps you didn't get your 8 hours of sleep last night and are a little moody, I don't know. But I never called it a great tradition with Notre Dame. I said "At least we have the Holy War thing going on". Meaning, it's not much, but it's more than anything else we have. I'm sorry my "a little forced" comment got you so upset.

Ultimately, I don't care whether BC has any rivals. Win championships and then everybody will want to play/beat you.

If winning championships are important to you, than you should see why the Clemson game is important. And frankly, it's a hell of a lot more important than ND.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:02 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:At least BC and ND have that Holy War thing going on and it is a more natural rival regardless of what the too cool for school BC/ND fans want to admit. Clemson is a rival in terms of the ACC Atlantic but is no different than WF, Maryland, NCSU, or FSU.

Our games against Maryland, WF, NCSU, or FSU haven't come down to the final play each time. Furthermore those games all take a back seat to Clemson when it comes to favorite road trips. BC also has a history of playing Clemson back in the early 80's. And those schools all take a back seat to Clemson when it comes to favorite ACC road trips for BC fans. Both BC and Clemson decided they wanted to play a trophy game because they've already established a great rivalry.

If anything the forced rivalry is the one with Virginia Tech, because the ACC told both teams "You're going to be cross-divisional rivals now". That's as "forced" as it gets.

Umm, just about all of the WF games (even the ones pre-ACC) have come down to the final minutes. They have been great games and WF is a small, religious affiliated school just like BC.

It looks like we will be playing Maryland every Thanksgiving and we get thousands of fans at Byrd Stadium.

FSU has called BC a sod game both times in Chestnut Hill.

NCSU has the Hen and I want to beat them more than any other team in the Atlantic.

VT is my most hated rival in the ACC. For me, that game sticks out the most when I like at the schedule before the season starts. We've also played them in the ACC Championship game the last two years and they are an old Big East "rival".

And this leather helmet thing was thought up by the Gridiron Club, right? The group that everybody on this board despises?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:08 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:If winning championships are important to you, than you should see why the Clemson game is important. And frankly, it's a hell of a lot more important than ND.

We are just arguing for the sake of arguing at this point. You say Clemson is a heck of a lot more important than ND. Fine. So does that mean ND is not as much of a rival? What about other rivals that share no conference affiliation? USC-ND? Clemson-SC? Florida-FSU? Colorado-CSU? Iowa-ISU? ND-Michigan? Army-Navy?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:12 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:If winning championships are important to you, than you should see why the Clemson game is important. And frankly, it's a hell of a lot more important than ND.

We are just arguing for the sake of arguing at this point. You say Clemson is a heck of a lot more important than ND. Fine. So does that mean ND is not as much of a rival? What about other rivals that share no conference affiliation? USC-ND? Clemson-SC? Florida-FSU? Colorado-CSU? Iowa-ISU? ND-Michigan? Army-Navy?

Those are all historic and/or in-state rivalries. I'd say the ND-BC thing is 'forced' to use your language, because what's the point? You want a rivalry to go along with the tradition of those you mentioned, let's put Holy Cross back on the schedule.

ND is the 9th most important game on our schedule every year. Clemson is one the five most important.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:15 pm

Clemson and FSU are the two most important games on the schedule every year. But VT and Clemson are the two candidates for "rivalry". All BC rivalries are forced, unless the Syracuse game becomes a big deal. That said, if you are going to force a rivalry, better to do it with a game we play every year against an important opponent like Clemson.

EA NCAA10 calls VT and Miami rivals for BC. The later is stupid because of Flutie. But given what has happened the past 4-5 years, VT is definitely becoming a rivalry, unforced. I like the forcing of the Clemson rivalry as well - it is forced, but it is a good thing. That's a team I would want to be rivals with.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:21 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Those are all historic and/or in-state rivalries. I'd say the ND-BC thing is 'forced' to use your language, because what's the point? You want a rivalry to go along with the tradition of those you mentioned, let's put Holy Cross back on the schedule.

Go around and tell people at the next ND game that the BC-ND thing is "forced" and tell me what kind of responses you get. I think a majority would disagree with you.

If Holy Cross competed at a high level in Div 1A then yes, they would make a great rival. But since they don't, your point is a bad one.

I look forward to seeing you at the next Gridiron Club meeting. Tell them you love the Eagle Statue and the leather helmet game.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:24 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Go around and tell people at the next ND game that the BC-ND thing is "forced" and tell me what kind of responses you get. I think a majority would disagree with you.

If Holy Cross competed at a high level in Div 1A then yes, they would make a great rival. But since they don't, your point is a bad one.

I look forward to seeing you at the next Gridiron Club meeting. Tell them you love the Eagle Statue and the leather helmet game.

Now I remember you being a huge douche on the old site. Thanks for the reminder.

Lame-asses like you who would put the ACC schedule on the back burner to "beat notre dame!" are the reason that the "BC has an ND complex" statement is allowed to continue. Explain to me why this is such a big game for you if all you care about is "winnign championships." The only time beating ND led to that was in 2008 and it was on the ice.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby talon on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:26 pm

Pre-ACC:

Clemson: 14 games (including a matchup in a Cotton Bowl and the tie in 1982 ruined their shot at an undefeated season)
Duke: 3 games, none since 1929
FSU: 3 games
GT: 5 games
Maryland: 2 games
NC State: 2 games, none since 1937
UNC: 3 games (that's including the ACC preview in the Tire Bowl - a matchup that probably wouldn't have happened if BC wasn't moving to the ACC the following year)
UVA: 2 games (including the Carquest Bowl)
WF: 12 games, 10 of which were played before 1954

Of all the ACC teams (except VA Tech and Miami), we really have the most history with Clemson.
Last edited by talon on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:27 pm

And why the hell are you so against admitting that Clemson is an important game and one to get excited about? Did introducing a leather helmet enrage you so much that it ruined the game for you?
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Brooklyneagle on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:29 pm

We should have the attention of that part of the Clemson fan base that has any depth-of-field perspective that goes back more than one year. In a three year period (81-83?), Clemson won a national championship and lost only two games and tied only two games. BC (with Flutie) played them twice, winning once, tying once. Before that, we'd upset them in 1960. Most logged on here remember the two overtime games we won, followed by Ryan's majestic upset of Clemson in Death Valley two years ago. In all, Clemson has beaten BC only once (last year)in the past half century or so. All the same, I'd be glad if the Clemson team is looking right past BC.
Brooklyneagle
Carney Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:31 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Now I remember you being a huge douche on the old site. Thanks for the reminder.

Lame-asses like you who would put the ACC schedule on the back burner to "beat notre dame!" are the reason that the "BC has an ND complex" statement is allowed to continue. Explain to me why this is such a big game for you if all you care about is "winnign championships." The only time beating ND led to that was in 2008 and it was on the ice.

Ah, I knew it was only a matter of time before you resorted to name calling.

In addition to winning championships, I care about national recognition and attention. What game brings the most attention to BC on a national level?? ND. It's pretty much on national TV every year, not Raycom. And what has BC done the last six times? They've won. That is great in terms of getting BC more recognition and competing for recruits. Would winning an ACC Championship be better? Absolutely. But BC was in position to do that last year despite the loss to Clemson.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:34 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:And why the hell are you so against admitting that Clemson is an important game and one to get excited about? Did introducing a leather helmet enrage you so much that it ruined the game for you?

I'm not enraged. All I did was call the leather helmet thing a little forced and I upset the EagleOutsider regulars. Jeez. I think it is an important game regardless of whether there is a leather helmet.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:35 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

Umm, just about all of the WF games (even the ones pre-ACC) have come down to the final minutes. They have been great games and WF is a small, religious affiliated school just like BC.

It looks like we will be playing Maryland every Thanksgiving and we get thousands of fans at Byrd Stadium.

FSU has called BC a sod game both times in Chestnut Hill.

NCSU has the Hen and I want to beat them more than any other team in the Atlantic.

VT is my most hated rival in the ACC. For me, that game sticks out the most when I like at the schedule before the season starts. We've also played them in the ACC Championship game the last two years and they are an old Big East "rival".

And this leather helmet thing was thought up by the Gridiron Club, right? The group that everybody on this board despises?

Uh, "almost all" is not the same as "all" when it comes to close games. And just because their mascot is the Demon Deacon doesn't mean Wake has a religious affiliation. It was founded as a Baptist school but all the guides say no affiliation.

So what if FSU calls BC a sod game? Did I ever say that game wasn't important? You don't think Clemson considers BC an important game after the last four games we've had against them?

So what if Maryland brings lots of fans to Alumni? You don't think Clemson does?

TOB will be retiring to Daniel Island in a few years, so there's no point in establishing a trophy since he'll be gone by then.

Once again, the VT rivalry is the most "forced" by your standards because it was actually forced by an outside party. No BC fan considered VT their main rival when we were in the Big East.

Your arguments are forced.
Last edited by Endless Mike on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:37 pm

BC has gotten more national recognition for the FSU games and the VT games than any ND game. The VT games have been championship games on ABC and/or Thursday night ESPN thrillers. The Ryan drive on ESPN Thurs. The dumbass dancing game - a Thursday night home game (I remember rushing back from DC for the game). The first FSU game at BC was Gameday and national TV night game on ABC. The second was a 3:30 ABC national game when Ryan had that awesome pass out of the end zone. The FSU game after that was 8:00 ABC national, when BC was #2. Even last year was a primetime ABC game at FSU.

Clemson hasn't received the same national coverage, but the away game two years ago was a national night game.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:39 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:We are just arguing for the sake of arguing at this point.

Just you actually. Everyone else is making points.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:41 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:Ah, I knew it was only a matter of time before you resorted to name calling.

Well aren't you playing me like a freakin' fiddle. Now you don't care about the leather helmet. But this discussion wouldn't have happened if you didn't feel the need to state and defend your distaste for it in the first place.

I agree with you about national attention. But I'd much prefer if we played someone, you know, good when we got a national audience. If ND's play matched the hype every year, then I wouldn't care. That's why I look forward to USC in 2013, providing the new NCAA commish doesn't decide he wants to do something about the Reggie Bush stuff and torpedo Carrol's program.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:54 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:BC has gotten more national recognition for the FSU games and the VT games than any ND game. The VT games have been championship games on ABC and/or Thursday night ESPN thrillers.

Recently, yes. But BC-ND in 1993 got BC the most attention (outside of Flutie). Even put BC on the cover of SI. That was a big deal.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:55 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:BC has gotten more national recognition for the FSU games and the VT games than any ND game. The VT games have been championship games on ABC and/or Thursday night ESPN thrillers.

Recently, yes. But BC-ND in 1993 got BC the most attention (outside of Flutie). Even put BC on the cover of SI. That was a big deal.

And those recruits you want to see us in the national spotlight, they remember watching that 1993 game, I take it.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:59 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

And those recruits you want to see us in the national spotlight, they remember watching that 1993 game, I take it.

Mike McLaughlin referred to ND as America's team and that the team loves playing them. So while they may not remember the 1993 game, recruits appreciate ND's tradition and the games between BC and ND.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby billyshelby on Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:04 pm

Even if BC didn't play ND every year, it would be in our best interest to have some type of regular game with a nationally hyped opponent. And if it's a "rivalry" of some kind, even better. Which game do you figure is better for USC's recruiting every year--ND or UCLA? No matter what it means to the purists, playing ND every year, even letting it be a hyped game on the schedule, is just good for business.
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:33 pm

talon {l Wrote}:Pre-ACC:

Clemson: 14 games (including a matchup in a Cotton Bowl and the tie in 1982 ruined their shot at an undefeated season)
UNC: 3 games (that's including the ACC preview in the Tire Bowl - a matchup that probably wouldn't have happened if BC wasn't moving to the ACC the following year)

Of all the ACC teams (except VA Tech and Miami), we really have the most history with Clemson.

good work by talon as always. :screamyeagle
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:40 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:Pre-ACC:

good work by talon as always. :screamyeagle

he's old enough hansen... why don't you marry him?

someone sounds jealous... :pepper2

*i respect you
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:04 pm

I remember reading quotes from the team that, regardless of how they're doing that point in the season, they always sack up to play ND. It's a rivalry. Last two Catholic schools in DI football makes it that and whether they want to admit it or not, ND fans want to beat us as much as we want to beat them.

Clemson is becoming a new rivalry. In the bookstore at BC they sell a picture of BC playing Clemson (in leather helmets) at Fenway in 1917 or something, so there's history there and the fact that the last four games have been decided by an average of less than 3 points I think says something about a rivalry.

What time a game is on tv doesn't make a rivalry, it makes good tv. If we're honest with ourselves FSU has only ever been an 8PM game more because of FSU than us. Last year it was the Blackout, when BC entered the ACC it was only because it was our first ACC game. I mean, in the four years I was there Michigan- Ohio State was a 3:30 game, never an 8PM game so arguing over whether game time and tv coverage makes a rivalry just doesn't make sense.

At any rate, there's no reason to force the fun with a rivalry. Fact of the matter is, right now, Clemson seems to be turning into a rivalry game and VT looks like its shaping up to be a rivalry too.

Either way, I just want to beat both of them.

:angrychicken
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:06 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:What time a game is on tv doesn't make a rivalry, it makes good tv. If we're honest with ourselves FSU has only ever been an 8PM game more because of FSU than us. Last year it was the Blackout, when BC entered the ACC it was only because it was our first ACC game.

You missed 2007, when BC was certainly the reason it was a night game.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium