Don Brown needs to do some PR training

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Don Brown needs to do some PR training

Postby ObserverCollege on Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:31 pm

What a moron Don Brown was in talking to the Washington Post this week.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/story/2009/09/11/ST2009091102253.html

Regarding Cal dropping 50+ points on his Terps, Brown said: "I am completely responsible for it. I am accountable for it."

Are you KIDDING me? A real coach doesn't take BLAME for poor performances! Egads! Hasn't Brown learned ANYTHING from the ex-coaches in the broadcasting community? They call every coach simply "excellent", boosting their colleagues' reputation & job security. But no, Brown wants to flush this help away? Ridiculous.

You ALWAYS blame the players and the officials. You show them that you won't protect them from the naysayers and the media, so they better step up and protect themselves. Thus as a coach you say things like:

"It would be nice if our nose guard actually watched the ball get snapped before rushing the quarterback."

"I can't tell you why our flanker couldn't run a post pattern. You can lead a horse to water..."

"The powers that be make us travel out to the West Coast overnight Thursday, do a walkthrough Friday afternoon, then sit around playing Atari or whatever these kids play until 10 PM Eastern Saturday night. What more did you expect?"

"We had three different linemen succumb to the humidity over the course of our training camp, so we were forced to shift our backup right guard to left tackle. 7 sacks later, you see why he's a scout-team guard."

"The officials could have called offensive holding on our opponent each play, but them's the breaks."

And, this is an excellent one for coaches in their first year, as it lets you blame your predecessor: "You don't go to war with the team you want. You go to war with the team you have".

Couple that with stroking of friendly local reporters, & that's how you shift blame. It's really not that difficult. See O'Brien, Tobias.
Shake down the Thunder!!!
ObserverCollege
Carney Hall

Re: Don Brown needs to do some PR training

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:50 pm

5 star post
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Return to Alumni Stadium