No San Francisco for BC?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: No San Francisco for BC?

Postby bignick33 on Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:46 am

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:I'm not sure that UNC falls to the Music/Car Care/Emerald triumverate.

I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:02 pm

I think since FSU is only 6-6 (assuming the lose to FU) that they drop to #7 in the ACC pecking order. Therefore, the Champs can't choose them. The Champs then has a choice of either Miami, UNC or BC. I think Miami gets selected because they have the potential to bring the most fans to Mickey world.

Duke could go to Muffler if everything breaks for them and the BE sends a lousy travelling team to the Muffler like South Florida or Rutgers. The Mufflers two choices will be either FSU or Duke and nobody from FSU will give a crap about this game. BC doesn't want this game and they don't want BC. This would be Duke's first bowl since the ice age and they may be able to muster 30,000 fans.

Revised ACC bowl line up

Orange: GT, Clemson
Peach: VT, GT, Clemson
Gator: Clemson, VT, Miami
Champs: Miami, UNC
Music: UNC, Miami
Muffler: FSU,Duke(longshot)
Emerald: BC
Eaglebank: Duke or FSU(longshot) or non ACC team
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:15 pm

I don't think Miami's the best traveling fanbase of UNC, BC and Miami.

as for UNC: it's been 8 years since they've been invited to a non-Charlotte Bowl. It's been 12 years since they've been invited to a bowl game in Florida. It's been 14 years since they've been invited to a bowl game in Florida that's not in Jacksonville.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:08 pm

Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:I think since FSU is only 6-6 (assuming the lose to FU) that they drop to #7 in the ACC pecking order. Therefore, the Champs can't choose them. The Champs then has a choice of either Miami, UNC or BC. I think Miami gets selected because they have the potential to bring the most fans to Mickey world.

Duke could go to Muffler if everything breaks for them and the BE sends a lousy travelling team to the Muffler like South Florida or Rutgers. The Mufflers two choices will be either FSU or Duke and nobody from FSU will give a crap about this game. BC doesn't want this game and they don't want BC. This would be Duke's first bowl since the ice age and they may be able to muster 30,000 fans.

What?
Either FSU being 6-6 means it can either (a) be chosen by anyone so long as the 2-win rule isn't violated or (b) it means it is destined to the whatever bowl is left after everyone else has selected. There is no... they are ranked 7th so they can't go to the 4th bowl, but can go to the 5th or 6th.

And... you still haven't explained how Duke is eligible?
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/coll ... 03904.html
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/210178.html
I am unable to find any articles about Duke asking a waiver. Are you just making that up and then hypothesizing upon it as if it was reality?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:11 pm

Duke isn't eligable. I have no idea where that is coming from also.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:13 pm

Duke Board seems to think it's out of the question. I have no idea if they're all-knowing like the ClemPson Board.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=167&f=1093&t=5166211
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:14 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Duke isn't eligable. I have no idea where that is coming from also.

How does this bowl line-up change if the proposed merger with the NBE goes through. Will the Gator and Muffler be OK with what will amount as a a conference game??
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:16 pm

Duke is out of the bowl picture, I guess there is a waiver so long as there aren't enough teams to fill all of the bowls. All of the bowls will be filled this year so Duke looses.

I still think FSU is the ACC#7 team putting them in only 3 possible bowls.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:20 pm

At no point in time should we be hoping for a scenario where FSU is allowed to be placed ahead of BC. If it is the case, it sets off another horrible precedent. How pissed would we all be if a 6-6 NCS team was the one that leap-frogged us? We all are fine with it because the Nut is a better game this year. But, what if it wasn't? What if FSU bumped us from a Nashville match-up against LSU or UGA to be shipped out West to play ASU?

My hope is that Swofford comes out and says something like "BC has requested that I find a way in which they can be shipped to San Fran since this is our last year with the bowl and they have such a strong alumni base. It is something I will be working with all the bowls to see if this can come to fruition. Nothing will be able to happen unless all bowls and teams agree."
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:26 pm

Latest bowl projection on Rivals has us in Charlotte vs. Rutgers. Will anyone show up for that game? That might only draw 10k fans. What an embarressment.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:31 pm

Will anyone show up for that game?

Yes, the parents of the players will show up....and some of the locals. That is about it.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby 31southst on Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:43 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:At no point in time should we be hoping for a scenario where FSU is allowed to be placed ahead of BC. If it is the case, it sets off another horrible precedent. How pissed would we all be if a 6-6 NCS team was the one that leap-frogged us? We all are fine with it because the Nut is a better game this year. But, what if it wasn't? What if FSU bumped us from a Nashville match-up against LSU or UGA to be shipped out West to play ASU?

My hope is that Swofford comes out and says something like "BC has requested that I find a way in which they can be shipped to San Fran since this is our last year with the bowl and they have such a strong alumni base. It is something I will be working with all the bowls to see if this can come to fruition. Nothing will be able to happen unless all bowls and teams agree."

I agree that this would best be done by Swofford making some sort of statement. That said, it wouldn't set any precedent if we choose to do it. Bowls can't force us to make a choice to bypass them unless the try to renegotiate the bowl contract. As was seen with the Gator Bowl, it seems the ACC isn't willing to give up that rule.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:43 pm

Scarlet Nation would show-up for that game in spades. Seriously. The anticipation for that game in Jersey would be just like that in Hartford if we were saddled with playing UConn.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:49 pm

Scarlet Nation would show-up for that game in spades.

There IS a Scarlet Nation? Who are these people? I know, they are fans of a Rachel Nichols character....

Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby EagleDave on Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:46 pm

For the record, the latter half of this conversation is the reason that BC doesn't get bigger/better bowl games. People snub their noses at anything that isn't a major bowl game. I went to Nashville last year and had a great time and didn't care that Vandy was a 6-6 team. If they end up in Charlotte playing Rutgers or in the EagleBank playing some shitty Sun Belt school I'd be there too. It shouldn't be about how exotic the locale is, it should be about supporting the school (or team, if you're not an alum).

/rant

ps- Duke will not be eligible regardless of how many points they happen to beat Wake Forest by this weekend. Only 1 win against a 1-AA team is allowed, they need 7 wins and don't have it. Period.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium