The "BC rule" has yet to benefit BC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

The "BC rule" has yet to benefit BC

Postby EaglesTalon on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:29 pm

I find it interesting that BC has never benefited from the "BC rule" since it was implemented after BC went to Boise in 2005.

In the 2006 regular season:
BC finished 5-3 in the ACC and 9-3 overall.
Miami finished 4-4 in the ACC and 6-6 overall.
FSU finished 3-5 in the ACC and 6-6 overall.

When the Car Care Bowl got to invite a team, WF (6-2) was already placed in the Orange Bowl, GT (7-1) was already placed in the Gator Bowl via the "BC rule", VT (6-2) was already placed in the Peach Bowl, Clemson (5-3) was already placed in the Music City Bowl and Maryland (5-3) was already placed in the Champs Bowl. No team with a worse ACC record was invited to a bowl before BC.

So, Charlotte could pick BC or Miami, but not FSU (if the BC rule was applicable). But they didn't pick Miami. Did the Car Care Bowl really think that BC (which would be going to that bowl for the second time in three years) was a bigger draw than Miami? Or did Miami's 6-6 record mean that Miami could not be invited to a bowl before a 9-3 BC, even though they finished with only one fewer conference win? If a 6-6 team cannot be invited to a bowl before a team with a winning record, then that means two things:

1) BC didn't benefit from the "BC rule" in 2006
2) if FSU loses to UF this weekend, FSU cannot be invited to a bowl until all other ACC teams have been invited

If the 6-6 rule didn't exist, then BC was picked ahead of another eligible team (Miami), and the BC rule wasn't needed.

in 2007, BC was picked for the Champs Bowl, even though WF was still an option, so BC clearly did not benefit from the BC rule
in 2008, BC went to the the Music City Bowl, because the ACCCG loser could not fall beyond that bowl.

this year, the best BC can finish is 5-3 and there will not be a 3-5 bowl eligible team, so this year, the BC rule will not factor into which bowl BC plays.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Re: The "BC rule" has yet to benefit BC

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:35 pm

We did benefit in 2007. Without the rule Champs would have taken FSU ahead of us.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:14 pm

you're probably right. but 2007 was probably the most marketable team BC's had since 1984. FSU may have been picked ahead of BC, but I think BC still had a shot.

But what happened in 2006 makes me wonder about this year. If FSU (at 6-6) cannot be invited to a bowl before all the other teams with 5 or fewer losses, then that means that BC couldn't fall beyond Nashville (assuming that GT doesn't lose the ACCCG and still get into the BCS as an at-large).

But would BC agree to let Nashville pick FSU and BC would get one last crack at a west coast bowl before the ACC loses the tie-in with the Emerald Bowl?

Looking at SEC games that have relevance:
Tennessee and Kentucky play each other - if Kentucky beats Tennessee, then Tennessee is 6-6 and couldn't be selected until all SEC teams with five or fewer losses have been picked. I'm not sure who wins this game.
If GT beats UGA, UGA is 6-6. I think GT wins.
If Clemson beats SC, SC is 6-6. I think SC wins.
UF beats FSU
Bama beats Auburn.
LSU beats Arkansas
Ole Miss beats Mississippi State.

Then the SEC bowls would probably be:

Florida/Bama winner to BCS title game
Florida/Bama loser to Sugar Bowl
Capital One bowl would pick either LSU or Ole Miss. (probably Ole Miss)
Cotton Bowl would pick whichever team the Capital One bowl didn't pick.
Outback Bowl takes an Eastern division team & would pick the winner of Tennessee/Kentucky (they'd probably pick UGA if the Bulldogs beat GT, but if Georgia is 6-6, then I'm going to assume they can't be picked until all other SEC teams have been placed
Chick-Fil-A picks next and they'd have Arkansas, Auburn, or Kentucky (only if Kentucky loses to Tennessee) I think Chick-Fil-A picks Arkansas or Auburn.
Nashville picks next, they'd get the leftovers of Arkansas/Auburn or Kentucky (only if Kentucky loses to Tennessee). I think Nashville picks the leftovers of Arkansas/Auburn. I'm not sure, but I think I read somewhere that the Music City Bowl has to pick an SEC East team, if an SEC team is available. In that case, if Kentucky loses to Tennessee, then I think the Music City Bowl would have to pick Kentucky

So, if a 6-6 team can't get placed in a bowl before a 7-5 team or better, BC would be playing Kentucky, Auburn or Arkansas in Nashville. Unless they agree to let Nashville pick FSU instead, in which case they'd probably be playing Stanford, Arizona, or possibly Southern California in San Francisco.

If BC has the choice, where would they rather play? I'd think that BC's best chance of winning the bowl game would clearly be in Nashville, not SF.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:36 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:you're probably right. but 2007 was probably the most marketable team BC's had since 1984. FSU may have been picked ahead of BC, but I think BC still had a shot.

Wasn't that the FSU team that had 35 players suspended, too? Or did that happen after selections?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:43 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:you're probably right. but 2007 was probably the most marketable team BC's had since 1984. FSU may have been picked ahead of BC, but I think BC still had a shot.

Wasn't that the FSU team that had 35 players suspended, too? Or did that happen after selections?

I'm pretty sure that the suspensions were announced the week before Christmas.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:00 pm

But what happened in 2006 makes me wonder about this year. If FSU (at 6-6) cannot be invited to a bowl before all the other teams with 5 or fewer losses, then that means that BC couldn't fall beyond Nashville (assuming that GT doesn't lose the ACCCG and still get into the BCS as an at-large).

But would BC agree to let Nashville pick FSU and BC would get one last crack at a west coast bowl before the ACC loses the tie-in with the Emerald Bowl?

Looking at SEC games that have relevance:
Tennessee and Kentucky play each other - if Kentucky beats Tennessee, then Tennessee is 6-6 and couldn't be selected until all SEC teams with five or fewer losses have been picked. I'm not sure who wins this game.
If GT beats UGA, UGA is 6-6. I think GT wins.
If Clemson beats SC, SC is 6-6. I think SC wins.
UF beats FSU
Bama beats Auburn.
LSU beats Arkansas
Ole Miss beats Mississippi State.

Then the SEC bowls would probably be:

Florida/Bama winner to BCS title game
Florida/Bama loser to Sugar Bowl
Capital One bowl would pick either LSU or Ole Miss. (probably Ole Miss)
Cotton Bowl would pick whichever team the Capital One bowl didn't pick.
Outback Bowl takes an Eastern division team & would pick the winner of Tennessee/Kentucky (they'd probably pick UGA if the Bulldogs beat GT, but if Georgia is 6-6, then I'm going to assume they can't be picked until all other SEC teams have been placed
Chick-Fil-A picks next and they'd have Arkansas, Auburn, or Kentucky (only if Kentucky loses to Tennessee) I think Chick-Fil-A picks Arkansas or Auburn.
Nashville picks next, they'd get the leftovers of Arkansas/Auburn or Kentucky (only if Kentucky loses to Tennessee). I think Nashville picks the leftovers of Arkansas/Auburn. I'm not sure, but I think I read somewhere that the Music City Bowl has to pick an SEC East team, if an SEC team is available. In that case, if Kentucky loses to Tennessee, then I think the Music City Bowl would have to pick Kentucky

So, if a 6-6 team can't get placed in a bowl before a 7-5 team or better, BC would be playing Kentucky, Auburn or Arkansas in Nashville. Unless they agree to let Nashville pick FSU instead, in which case they'd probably be playing Stanford, Arizona, or possibly Southern California in San Francisco.

If BC has the choice, where would they rather play? I'd think that BC's best chance of winning the bowl game would clearly be in Nashville, not SF.

actually, scratch this. I forgot that Music City is above Charlotte in the pecking order. The only way BC goes to Nashville is if GT loses to Clemson and gets a BCS at-large spot.

If Charlotte has to pick BC over FSU, there's no doubt in my mind GDF releases Charlotte and lets them pick FSU.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:10 pm

While SF is a better city than Charlotte (for what the 3rd time in 6 year?) and odds are we would play a better team, will anybody go to SF? It's the day after Christmas and a 7 hour flight from the east coast. How's our alumni presence in California and would they come out to see us play the day after Christmas? This isn't being like :81 , it's just out of ignorance.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:16 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:While SF is a better city than Charlotte (for what the 3rd time in 6 year?) and odds are we would play a better team, will anybody go to SF? It's the day after Christmas and a 7 hour flight from the east coast. How's our alumni presence in California and would they come out to see us play the day after Christmas? This isn't being like :81 , it's just out of ignorance.

Because of northern California alumni, we will sell more tickets for San Fran than we did for Nashville.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:34 pm

Charlotte kind of blows as a city, but San Fran is really far. What's most important to me between Car Care and Emerald is the opponent.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:40 pm

bignick33 {l Wrote}:Charlotte kind of blows as a city, but San Fran is really far. What's most important to me between Car Care and Emerald is the opponent.

Emerald -> Stanford or Arizona
Car Care -> WVU or USF
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby Bernard Lonergan on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:14 pm

San Fran seems the logical destination, but there is still a possibility that the Washington DC bowl will be our game. It will take some political maneuvering, but is the preference of many.
Bernard Lonergan
Carney Hall

Postby bignick33 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:15 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:Charlotte kind of blows as a city, but San Fran is really far. What's most important to me between Car Care and Emerald is the opponent.

Emerald -> Stanford or Arizona
Car Care -> WVU or USF

I understand that, although it's my understanding that one or two other teams could slide into the Emerald.

I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:13 pm

Wake me for the BCS Bowl....or Conference Championship.......... :puke
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:56 pm

As someone who lives in DC, come down here and play Navy.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium