I miss Matt Ryan.

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: I miss Matt Ryan.

Postby angrychicken on Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:38 pm

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:what is Spaz's biggest win this year?

I'd go with the FSU win with Wake a close second.

So, beating a 2-5 team is the "close" second biggest win of the season? yikes!

6-5, 4-4

2-5, 4-7

OUTSTANDING!!!

Sorry, if I consider coming off of a blow out loss to Clemson, keeping it together given all of the off season stuff and the horrible, horrible QB play from Clemson to beat a decent, yes decent Wake team as a nice win and beating FSU anytime is a good win to me.

You consider the Wake game a nice win?
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:49 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:WF beat 2 ACC teams this year. That qualifies them as being "decent?" They also lost because they fumbled on what should have been the game winning touchdown in OT.

If BC beats MD this week, they'll finish 8-4 in the regular season. If you had told me at the beginning of the year that BC would finish 2nd in the division with an 8-4 record, I'd have been very happy. But that's also because I would have assumed that this wouldn't have been the worst FSU team in 33 years. NC State was supposed to be a contender for the division and everybody thought that Russell Wilson was going to be one of the most dangerous players in the conference. I also didn't expect WF to go back to the days of having a losing record.

How much of BC's 8-4 record is due to Spaz being a brilliant coach and how much of it is due to the fact that the ACC's Atlantic division was embarrassingly awful this year?

Wake was 2-1 when we beat them with a win over Stanford. They lost to Miami by 1 and took GT to overtime, so yes, 2 point swing and they would be considered a good team and the Coastal division would have been considered weak. I never said Spaz was a brilliant coach, I said he did a good job with what he had to work with. Is there something wrong with thinking we should give Spaz a chance just like any other first year coach should get a chance.

BC could have folded after the Clemson loss and then again after the VT lost but they didn't. I have to give some credit to the coach for that.
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:52 pm

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:Wake was 2-1 when we beat them

how is this relevant? When BC beat Penn State in Beaver Stadium a few years ago, Penn State was 1-0 and ranked 25th. Then the continued to have one of the worst seasons they've had since the 1930s. Does that mean it was a good win because they hadn't been exposed at the time?

You also want to give Spaz credit for the team not collapsing after receiving two of the worst beatings BC's ever been handed, as if receiving two of the worst beatings BC's ever been handed isn't worth discussing.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:08 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:

how is this relevant? When BC beat Penn State in Beaver Stadium a few years ago, Penn State was 1-0 and ranked 25th. Then the continued to have one of the worst seasons they've had since the 1930s. Does that mean it was a good win because they hadn't been exposed at the time?

You also want to give Spaz credit for the team not collapsing after receiving two of the worst beatings BC's ever been handed, as if receiving two of the worst beatings BC's ever been handed isn't worth discussing.

25-7 is one of the worst beatings that BC had ever been handed? Look I get it, Spaz can do no good in your eyes. All of the bad stuff is his fault, anything positive was due to anything but Spaz. WF had a decent team this year like I said, 5 of their losses were by less that 3 and 2 of those were in OT. They could have easily had 9 wins right now.
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:24 pm

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:

25-7 is one of the worst beatings that BC had ever been handed? Look I get it, Spaz can do no good in your eyes. All of the bad stuff is his fault, anything positive was due to anything but Spaz. WF had a decent team this year like I said, 5 of their losses were by less that 3 and 2 of those were in OT. They could have easily had 9 wins right now.

no matter how many times you say it, WF is not a decent team. A decent team would have won more that two games in the ACC this year.

As for the Clemson game, do you really not think that game was a total ass kicking? Prior to that game, when was the last time BC had gone into halftime without getting a first down (rushing or passing)? Prior to that game, when was the last time BC had gone into halftime losing more yards than they gained?
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:51 pm

EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:
BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:
EaglesTalon {l Wrote}:

no matter how many times you say it, WF is not a decent team. A decent team would have won more that two games in the ACC this year.

As for the Clemson game, do you really not think that game was a total ass kicking? Prior to that game, when was the last time BC had gone into halftime without getting a first down (rushing or passing)? Prior to that game, when was the last time BC had gone into halftime losing more yards than they gained?

It was bad, they shut us down offensively but since our D held them to 250 yards and 6 field goals, even with the turnovers. I'd stop short of calling it a beat down or total ass kicking. It wasn't like they were throwing and running up and down the field all day. The Virginia Tech game was much worse. Needless to day, why all the hate for all things Spaz? He's done a good job with the defense. I don't like the cushion anymore than the next guy but you have to admit, his defense has been pretty effective and highly rated. He has picked up some pretty decent players, big name and diamonds in the rough and put several guys in the pros. AND I have never heard any of his players publically say anything bad about him.

The guy has been head coach for less than a year, exceeded most peoples expectations and is going to get a chance for at least 3-4 years. Yes, he had two really bad losses this year but he doesn't have a quarterback.
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby EaglesTalon on Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:12 pm

I don't hate Spaz.

Some people want to think he's a miracle worker because BC is in a position to win 8 regular season games. I think the fact that BC is in a position to win 8 regular season games has a lot to do with the fact that the ACC Atlantic just flat out sucked this year.

BC's biggest win this year was against the worst FSU team in 33 years. BC's second biggest win this year was due to a 2 win ACC team fumbling the game winning touchdown in overtime.
EaglesTalon
McGuinn Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium