Support the Ireland-France Replay

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Support the Ireland-France Replay

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:52 pm

Find a petition. There's one growing strongly on Facebook, adding tens of thousands every hour. Would make for a great story in the world of sports if FIFA actually supported the effort....

And yes, I fully expect this to be moved Mary Ann's, and rightfully so. But there are enough passionate sports fans on these boards...and I suspect more than a few Irishmen, that maybe this can be tolerated here for a few hours...

EDIT: Link updated...

Last edited by dtwalrus on Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Re: Support the Ireland-France Replay

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:01 pm

This board is about FOOTBALL not futbol.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby nsbcfan on Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:01 pm

What happened in that game yesterday was a travesty. The Irish were completely jobbed.

Soccer makes boxing look good. FIFA made up new rules as far as reseeding the 2nd place European teams after the group stage so that France would not be forced to face Portugal in a play in game.

When it appeared that France was going to a shoot out against Ireland to determine their World Cup fate, Fifa once again stepped in and allowed an off side and two obvious hand balls so that France would advance.

Complete Disgrace
nsbcfan
n00b

Postby hansen on Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:04 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Find a petition. There's one growing strongly on Facebook, adding tens of thousands every hour. Would make for a great story in the world of sports if FIFA actually supported the effort....

And yes, I fully expect this to be moved Mary Ann's, and rightfully so. But there are enough passionate sports fans on these boards...and I suspect more than a few Irishmen, that maybe this can be tolerated for a few hours...

could this be the most famous handball since maradona's "hand of god"?

that said, players do stuff like this on the pitch all the time. the only reason this one is getting so much attention is the fact that a world cup berth is on the line. and, to be honest it's not as aggregious as you would expect given the outcry. it's a shame henry will be probably most remembered for this play ; he's such a great player and yet this will probably be his legacy.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:09 pm

That's my favorite video of the play, btw. It's great litening to the french announcers go from sheer joy to utter embarrassment as soon as the replay came up. Even if you can't understand it...

EDIT: and of course it's been taken down...
Last edited by dtwalrus on Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:10 pm

hansen {l Wrote}: it's a shame henry will be probably most remembered for this play ; he's such a great player and yet this will probably be his legacy.

I'll remember him most for being the 3rd wheel in that Tiger/Roger Gillette lovefest. It's like Sly Stallone letting Frank play Mickey's illegitimate son in Rocky 17 when he fights the ghost of Andre the Giant. But that may just be me.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby nsbcfan on Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:21 pm

If I were the French team, I would welcome a replay. The fact is that any replay would be in Paris. They would start again at 0-0 against an underdog Irish team. Even a replayed game would not be justice for the Irish. They had already scored the equalizer and were 15 minutes away from a shoot out. If a game were to be replayed the Irish would still have their equalizing goal taken away. Granted it is better than nothing but it is still not fair to Ireland.

That said, If I were on the French team, I would rather host a rematch that you would presumably win or tie and then advance to the World Cup under better circumstances. Right now they are the frauds of world soccer.
nsbcfan
n00b

Postby Pre1321 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:13 pm

A replay will never happen. FIFA will always protect the interests of the traditional powers (Brazil, Italy, France, Germany, etc.) because they want the big name marquee match ups come World Cup elimination rounds. Like all sports, it comes down to drawing TV crowds.

That being said, this will go down as one of the biggest embarrassments in FIFA history. The line judges should never work another international match again.
Pre1321
n00b

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:14 pm

Pre1321 {l Wrote}:A replay will never happen. FIFA will always protect the interests of the traditional powers (Brazil, Italy, France, Germany, etc.) because they want the big name marquee match ups come World Cup elimination rounds.

Ah, the soccer Cabal. I get it now.
Last edited by pick6pedro on Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby shockdoct on Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:17 pm

I am of the opinion (obviously biased) that we as the mods know what we are doing. We have been following the boards for many years and know what is expected as the current caretakers of the nexus. In the end, we move 81s threads, because by in large everyone asks them to be moved.

I am not sure when this whole "the mods move everything non BC football related to MAs" started, but it is flat out not true. While this is a "football" forum, we encourage other sports discussion on this board. We kindly ask the politics and other non-sports discussion stay in Mary Anns.

Long story short, this and other sports topics stay on the main "football" board.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby HustlinOwl on Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:10 pm

Soccer threads shouldn't be moved to MA's. They should just be deleted.
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby Pre1321 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:36 pm

HustlinOwl {l Wrote}:Soccer threads shouldn't be moved to MA's. They should just be deleted.

Durrr, foot fairies, durrrrr, pussies, durrrr.
Pre1321
n00b

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:06 pm

I just gave you a reputation point (it's the least i can do to help the cause).
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby shockdoct on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:16 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
shockdoct {l Wrote}:I am of the opinion (obviously biased) that we as the mods know what we are doing. We have been following the boards for many years and know what is expected as the current caretakers of the nexus. In the end, we move 81s threads, because by in large everyone asks them to be moved.

I am not sure when this whole "the mods move everything non BC football related to MAs" started, but it is flat out not true. While this is a "football" forum, we encourage other sports discussion on this board. We kindly ask the politics and other non-sports discussion stay in Mary Anns.

Long story short, this and other sports topics stay on the main "football" board.

hey shocker - who are you slapfighting this post against? i didn't see any complaints

More of commentary based on the OP's question of what "belongs" on the main board.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:19 pm

shockdoct {l Wrote}:I am of the opinion (obviously biased) that we as the mods know what we are doing. We have been following the boards for many years and know what is expected as the current caretakers of the nexus. In the end, we move 81s threads, because by in large everyone asks them to be moved.

hey shocker - who are you slapfighting this post against? i didn't see any complaints

I think 81 has really gotten to him. Take it easy shocker, everytihing will be ok.

By the way, I think this should be moved to the Kelley Rink Board. Hockey and soccer are more aligned given their foreign origin.

:)
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:22 pm

Nuke Gay Paree.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby shockdoct on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:26 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:

I think 81 has really gotten to him. Take it easy shocker, everytihing will be ok.

By the way, I think this should be moved to the Kelley Rink Board. Hockey and soccer are more aligned given their foreign origin.

It has nothing to do with 81 getting to me. It is that he has permeated this attitude of "I am not sure if this belongs on the main football board" into people's mind. This leads to people questioning whether they should post something and thus increased risk that we may miss out on it. The long time posters know (and I hope the newer users have come to figure out) what everyone here enioys and should just trust their instict.

In the end, how many of the moved threads are started by people OTHER than 81?
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:29 pm

shockdoct {l Wrote}:

It has nothing to do with 81 getting to me. It is that he has permeated this attitude of "I am not sure if this belongs on the main football board" into people's mind. This leads to people questioning whether they should post something and thus increased risk that we may miss out on it. The long time posters know (and I hope the newer users have come to figure out) what everyone here enioys and should just trust their instict.

In the end, how many of the moved threads are started by people OTHER than 81?

zero?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:30 pm

I blame Endless Bitterness for the moving threads controversy. If he wasn't such a Nazi about 81's threads, :shock wouldn't be so on edge.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:31 pm

:)

What's with the disrespect towards EO's fearless leader. While 74 is unequivocally the Godfather of snarky BC message boards, :shocker is the architect of The Reincarnation.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby buconvict on Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:14 pm

Ireland's fate was sealed was French President of FIFA Sepp Blatter decided to change the 90 year old rule of a random draw and seed the teams and play matches accordingly. This way, France, Portugal, and at the time, Germany, would be almost assured of making the Finals even if they came in 2nd in their groups and had to play in the playoff.

Absolutely disgraceful. In a related story, France unveiled their World Cup jerseys at a lavish presser today.

In an unrelated story, HustlinOwl remains a complete 74, with his 2 cent commentary on soccer and Lebron James quote sig putting any recent redemption back in the trash.

-xoxo, Gossip Girl
buconvict
McGuinn Hall

Postby HustlinOwl on Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:54 pm

Soccer doesn't deserve more than 2 cents. It's a place where marginal athletes who can't succeed in men's sports go to die.

DIAF
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:46 pm

I like the LeBron quote. Dubya was an excellent athlete, so maybe he could play some defense.

Anyways, Ireland got totally jobbed, and there should be a replay. There won't be, but there should. Henri said it was unintentional, but anyone who watches the video can see that it was.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:03 pm

When I first saw this I thought, "What's the big deal? Bad calls (or no calls) happen all the time."

Then I read this on CNN:

"Irish Justice Minister Dermot Ahern entered the fray Thursday, saying in a statement that he was petitioning Ireland's governing soccer body to demand a rematch.

For the uninitiated, this is akin to U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder demanding that the NFL make the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins play again because of a disputed fumble in the end zone."

Crazy.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:32 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:When I first saw this I thought, "What's the big deal? Bad calls (or no calls) happen all the time."

Then I read this on CNN:

"Irish Justice Minister Dermot Ahern entered the fray Thursday, saying in a statement that he was petitioning Ireland's governing soccer body to demand a rematch.

For the uninitiated, this is akin to U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder demanding that the NFL make the Dallas Cowboys and Washington Redskins play again because of a disputed fumble in the end zone."

Crazy.

You know, you've heard it all your life and it almost sounds cliche. But soccer really is bigger than religion in the rest of the world...If you're on Facebook, join the group "Petition to Have Ireland vs. France Replayed". They're almost up to 175,000. It's the fastest growing group on Facebook. There are also protests planned outside the French Embassy in Ireland tomorrow. Haha, this is pretty entertaining...even if nothing comes of it...
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:55 pm

Meh, the refs missed a penalty on the Irish goalie a few minutes before. Shit happens. So is life. Now if the French did this, I'd imagine everyone calling them pussies and the such. Well at least they'd be called bigger pussies than they actually are.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:09 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Meh, the refs missed a penalty on the Irish goalie a few minutes before. Shit happens. So is life. Now if the French did this, I'd imagine everyone calling them pussies and the such. Well at least they'd be called bigger pussies than they actually are.

The alleged missed foul on the Irish keeper was far less obvious. And in extra time it's very, very rare for a penalty kick to be called unless it's for something really blatant. The equivalent of calling some bumping and shoving pass interference in an NFL OT in the playoffs.

What Henry did on the other hand was not at all ambiguous. And lets not forget that two French players were offsides on the play in the first place. You can't compare a non-call on a close play to one of the worst 5 seconds of officiating in FIFA history and say it's a wash...
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:32 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Meh, the refs missed a penalty on the Irish goalie a few minutes before. Shit happens. So is life. Now if the French did this, I'd imagine everyone calling them pussies and the such. Well at least they'd be called bigger pussies than they actually are.

1. That was not a penalty. At best it was questionable. Anelka (the diver that he is) was looking to go to ground as soon as he got the ball.
2. +1 on BUC's statement (But then wouldn't I be agreeing with myself?)
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby HustlinOwl on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:46 pm

Admins please delete this thread. Please.
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:01 pm

FIFA officials are taking notes from the SEC.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium