Montel - best start ever

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Montel - best start ever

Postby NotoriousOrange on Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:52 am

Montel set the freshman record last year and is 83 yards away from breaking William Green's sophmore record as well. Because he came in with so little fan-fare and as the percieved junior partner to Haden he is viewed as an over-acheiver instead just a great running back.

The running backs that I can remember having the most recruiting hype are Will Green, Haden (mostly because of his brother) and Shelby Gamble. Who else had the hype and did anyone besides Green live up to it?

Most of the great BC running backs have been under the radar types; but Montel is the most under the radar star I can remember at BC; and continues to toil in national anonymity. BC's SID department needs to get this kid's story out there.
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Re: Montel - best start ever

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:58 am

He'll be in the Top 10 all time for rushing yards by a BC RB by the time the year's done... and he's got two more years to go.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Eagledom on Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:06 am

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:Montel set the freshman record last year and is 83 yards away from breaking William Green's sophmore record as well. Because he came in with so little fan-fare and as the percieved junior partner to Haden he is viewed as an over-acheiver instead just a great running back.

The running backs that I can remember having the most recruiting hype are Will Green, Haden (mostly because of his brother) and Shelby Gamble. Who else had the hype and did anyone besides Green live up to it?

Most of the great BC running backs have been under the radar types; but Montel is the most under the radar star I can remember at BC; and continues to toil in national anonymity. BC's SID department needs to get this kid's story out there.

Wasn't Anthony Comer really highly recruited?

Montel is a great back. Very reliable and seems to always get tough yards. Doesn't have the game-breaking ability of William Green...I'd put him in the category of Derrick Knight+
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:10 am

Forgot all about Comer - he was one of the top running backs in the country during his last year at Brockton. So it is still just Green who had the hype and lived up to it.

Used to think Derrick Knight+ but now I am starting to think he is better than that. In my mind Stradford is 1 and this kid has a chance to be #2
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby AdamBC on Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:14 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:He'll be in the Top 10 all time for rushing yards by a BC RB by the time the year's done... and he's got two more years to go.

That's the best part... he seems to not get injured much, and as long as we continue to get our O-line to give better gaps to run through, he could be ridiculous by his senior year.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:18 am

With only Tennant leaving and no new system to adjust to the o-line should be better next year. The first few games this year were very rough for the o-line as the adjusted to Tranquil's system
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:45 am

That's the best part... he seems to not get injured much, and as long as we continue to get our O-line to give better gaps to run through, he could be ridiculous by his senior year.

I don't know if my karma goes up or down with this post, but here goes.

If Montel stays all 4 years (I think he will) and (God willing) he doesn't get injured, I believe his best year (stats wise) will be his Junior year. The O-Line loses Tennant to graduation, and that's it. This excellent O-Line will be even MORE excellent next year, as almost everyone returns. Not only will it be the best O-Line in the ACC (they might already be that), it will probably be the best college O-Line on the whole East Coast. That will bode very well for Montel and his rushing numbers his Junior year.

But his Senior year? Meh, not so much. Let down time. Depending on who takes over for Tennant next year, it is entirely possible that BC could lose ALL FIVE O-Linemen from 2010 to 2011. Add in the fact that BC plays Clemson and VPI on the road again in 2011, and we could have a recipe for disaster for Montel's Senior year (kind of the way BC took a terrific nose dive Derrick Knight's Senior year.)

I think his Junior year (with VPI and Clem at home and FSU on the road where BC always plays them well), Montel's numbers are going to just be sick, 1800+ rushing yards, 21 rushing TDs, 4 TD catches from Shinskie over 12 games. The team scores 35 points a game, average. As far as I'm concerned (the way our offense is currently constructed, and the newbie linebackers and d-backs playing as well as they are) anything less than 10-2 and an ACC Championship in 2010 is a fucking disaster. And for Montel's Senior year, he might not even crack 1000 yards and the team (relying entirely on Montel to make something out of nothing) struggles to win 8 games.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby EagleNYC on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:38 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:That's the best part... he seems to not get injured much, and as long as we continue to get our O-line to give better gaps to run through, he could be ridiculous by his senior year.

If Montel stays all 4 years (I think he will) and (God willing) he doesn't get injured, I believe his best year (stats wise) will be his Junior year. The O-Line loses Tennant to graduation, and that's it. This excellent O-Line will be even MORE excellent next year, as almost everyone returns. Not only will it be the best O-Line in the ACC (they might already be that), it will probably be the best college O-Line on the whole East Coast. That will bode very well for Montel and his rushing numbers his Junior year.

But his Senior year? Meh, not so much. Let down time. Depending on who takes over for Tennant next year, it is entirely possible that BC could lose ALL FIVE O-Linemen from 2010 to 2011. Add in the fact that BC plays Clemson and VPI on the road again in 2011, and we could have a recipe for disaster for Montel's Senior year (kind of the way BC took a terrific nose dive Derrick Knight's Senior year.)

I think his Junior year (with VPI and Clem at home and FSU on the road where BC always plays them well), Montel's numbers are going to just be sick, 1800+ rushing yards, 21 rushing TDs, 4 TD catches from Shinskie Rettig over 12 games. The team scores 35 points a game, average. As far as I'm concerned (the way our offense is currently constructed, and the newbie linebackers and d-backs playing as well as they are) anything less than 10-2 and an ACC Championship in 2010 is a fucking disaster. And for Montel's Senior year, he might not even crack 1000 yards and the team (relying entirely on Montel to make something out of nothing) struggles to win 8 games.

Fixed.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:41 pm

Rettig redshirts.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Eagledom on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:42 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:That's the best part... he seems to not get injured much, and as long as we continue to get our O-line to give better gaps to run through, he could be ridiculous by his senior year.

I think his Junior year (with VPI and Clem at home and FSU on the road where BC always plays them well), Montel's numbers are going to just be sick, 1800+ rushing yards, 21 rushing TDs, 4 TD catches from Shinskie Rettig over 12 games. The team scores 35 points a game, average. As far as I'm concerned (the way our offense is currently constructed, and the newbie linebackers and d-backs playing as well as they are) anything less than 10-2 and an ACC Championship in 2010 is a fucking disaster. And for Montel's Senior year, he might not even crack 1000 yards and the team (relying entirely on Montel to make something out of nothing) struggles to win 8 games.

Fixed.

If you really think rettig is going to come in here and start as a true freshman next year, you are fucking dreaming.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby MaxxPower325 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:47 pm

Darnell Campbell was also a very highly recruited kid. He and Rudy Harris (who ended up doing nothing at Clemson) were featured in SI as the best high school tandem in the country back when SI didn't spend a lot of time on high school sports.

As for Montel, I was looking at the media guide just today to get an idea of where he stood on the all-time lists. Barring injury he should be the runaway leader before he is done, though I believe the single-season marks of Cloud, Knight and Green will remain intact. He pretty much is Derrick Knight, only if Knight had all 4 years as a feature back.
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby BCLou on Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:54 pm

Brendan McCarthy would have to be on the list of highly recruited RB's. He was a star in both football and basketball at DeMatha. He had a good career at BC on very bad teams.
BCLou
Carney Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:11 pm

Wasn't Brandon Brokaw a pretty highly regarded recruit? Not that he worked out...
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby ClubMed93 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:14 pm

Some of you are underestimating the impact of Tennant's departure from this Oline. Tennant is an excellent player and his mobility to get out and block at the second level is key to our running game. He also reads the defense and calls out protection schemes in the passing game. At worst, he plays the second-most crucial position on the Oline (behind left tackle). By no means am I saying that the line will stink next year, but someone (Claiborne?) will have some very big and very important shoes to fill.
ClubMed93
Carney Hall

Postby BC '00 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:14 pm

Andre Callender was a 4-star according to Rivals. Not a big name by any means, but still a 4-star. Did he live up to it? Kinda...mostly his senior year.
BC '00
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:43 pm

Some of you are underestimating the impact of Tennant's departure from this Oline. Tennant is an excellent player and his mobility to get out and block at the second level is key to our running game. He also reads the defense and calls out protection schemes in the passing game. At worst, he plays the second-most crucial position on the Oline (behind left tackle). By no means am I saying that the line will stink next year, but someone (Claiborne?) will have some very big and very important shoes to fill.

I suppose I am under-estimating Tennant's departure. But that is not because I think so little of Tennant. I just think so much of everyone else on the line. If the line was THE strength this year, it will be a MAJOR strength next year.

Tennant is a very good center for BC. I'm of the opinion he'll play in the NFL. And there will be a drop off at center (no matter who replaces him.) But that drop off (no matter how significant a drop off) will not have any significant negative impact on Harris next year, not with every single other player returning (including the best tackle in the ACC in Castanzo.) With a returning QB who can actually throw from the pocket keeping teams from sticking everyone in the box, Harris is hitting 1800+ rushing yards next year.

You are right, someone will have some very big shoes to fill. And if we were filling 3 or 4 pair of shoes, I would be concerned. Replacing only the center? I'm not too concerned.

College teams deal with graduation losses every year. And they all make do (somehow.) Look at the Univeristy of Florida rebuilding their entire offense this year with the exception of Tebow. Florida is going to win a national championship even with major graduation losses on the offensive side of the ball. Last year's Big East Champion was crippled on the defensive side of the ball, but someone forgot to tell the 2009 University of Cincinnati team that as they are sitting at 10-0. If Tennant is the only problem Spaz will have with the line next year, then there will be no real problem.

BC wins the ACC in 2010.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby NotoriousOrange on Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:01 pm

IB - I agree that the other 4 BC lineman returning a year bigger,stronger and used to Tranquill's system from day 1 leads to a big year for Montel.

Your Florida example is a bad one though - Florida lost 2 players from their 2 deep on offense - they returned the other 22.
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby JConman on Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:46 pm

MaxxPower325 {l Wrote}:Darnell Campbell was also a very highly recruited kid. He and Rudy Harris (who ended up doing nothing at Clemson) were featured in SI as the best high school tandem in the country back when SI didn't spend a lot of time on high school sports.

As for Montel, I was looking at the media guide just today to get an idea of where he stood on the all-time lists. Barring injury he should be the runaway leader before he is done, though I believe the single-season marks of Cloud, Knight and Green will remain intact. He pretty much is Derrick Knight, only if Knight had all 4 years as a feature back.

I believe Cloud was pretty highly ranked, too. I think he he chose BC over Michigan.
JConman
Carney Hall

Postby mod6A on Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:48 pm

ho dodd was very hyped up, wasn;t he?
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby BC923 on Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:18 pm

Montel barring injury and leaving early will most likely leave with all time yardage record (1745 yards remaining to take lead), all time touchdown record (17 tds remaining), 100 yard rushing games (9 remaining to take lead.) I don't think he breaks any single season records although I may be wrong, next year with the O-line and a better QB whether it be shinskie or rettig to force defenses to take a step back, he may be able to make a run at it. He has career attempts all but locked up. He will most likely leave with his name all over the record book.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:41 pm

Montel's senior 2011 year the Oline won't be as bad as some make it out to be.

LT Cleary
LG Richman
C Spinney
RG Goodman
RT Wetzel

Also, BC's receiving corps should be pretty stacked by then with Larmond, Momah, Phillips, Swigert, Lee and etc. The TEs are also in good shape too with Pantale and Anderson.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:40 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:Montel barring injury and leaving early will most likely leave with all time yardage record (1745 yards remaining to take lead), all time touchdown record (17 tds remaining), 100 yard rushing games (9 remaining to take lead.) I don't think he breaks any single season records although I may be wrong, next year with the O-line and a better QB whether it be shinskie or rettig to force defenses to take a step back, he may be able to make a run at it. He has career attempts all but locked up. He will most likely leave with his name all over the record book.

harris is not leaving early... he's good but not that good. he's one of those very good college RBs that probably won't do much at the next level. that said, i'm glad he plays for BC! :angrychicken
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:10 pm

This brings up an interesting debate as to what makes a player better. The running back with the obvious physical gifts? Or the one who is more productive and just finds a way to get it done? Then do you base it on BC production or BC plus later success in the NFL? So how would you rate the choices below?

* Hershel Walker or Emmit Smith?
* Walter Payton or Barry Sanders?
* Montel or William Green?
* Montel or Emanuel Moody from Florida?
* Montel or Jim Bell or Derrick Knight or Troy Stradford ?

My answers:

* Hershel Walker or Emmit Smith? Emmit - got more out of his ability
* Walter Payton or Barry Sanders? Barry - most elusive and most entertaining beats toughest and most heart in this case - but you win more with Payton
* Montel or William Green? Montel - Will Green had more talent - Montel is more consistent and more dependable
* Montel or Jeff Demps or Emanuel Moody from Florida? Montel - Moody has a million dollar talent and a 10 cent head - Demps may be the fastest player in CFB but is not that maneuverable, and doesn't see the holes
* Montel or Troy Stradford or Jim Bell or Derrick Knight ? 1. Stradford - could seemingly make a 90 degree cut at top speed without losing a beat 2. Montel 3 .D Knight 4. Jim Bell (but I liked watching him the most)
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby branchinator on Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:50 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Wasn't Brandon Brokaw a pretty highly regarded recruit? Not that he worked out...

Yes, he was somebody who Tom O'Brien was really high on. He could have been a really good RB if he had kept his head on straight.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium