Playing to win

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Playing to win

Postby BCFAN94 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:39 pm

I looked and didn't see a thread on this topic so I thought I might take a risk by starting an new thread.

I haven't seen any comments from the posters who usually complain about the play calling and playing to win. I know we went into the prevent in the end but how about going for the TD instead of the tie, the long pass to Larmond (the future best D back at BC) and a couple of other plays that looked like there was a sense of urgency to actually win.

Baby steps I guess.
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Re: Playing to win

Postby joemack13 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:52 pm

Maybe spaz isn't scurred of virginia. they're not away enough
joemack13
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:59 pm

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:I looked and didn't see a thread on this topic so I thought I might take a risk by starting an new thread.

I haven't seen any comments from the posters who usually complain about the play calling and playing to win. I know we went into the prevent in the end but how about going for the TD instead of the tie, the long pass to Larmond (the future best D back at BC) and a couple of other plays that looked like there was a sense of urgency to actually win.

Baby steps I guess.

I haven't had this complaint since the ass whooping against NCSU, although you could have a gripe about ND.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:01 pm

There were lots of gripes on the gameday thread.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby EIConvert on Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:26 pm

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}:I looked and didn't see a thread on this topic so I thought I might take a risk by starting an new thread.

Baby steps I guess.

Careful 94', I'm still pulling knives out of my back for implying that Larmond is anything less than the next comming of Randy Moss at this stage of his career. Your inference that Larmond could turn into a quality d-back is interesting, though.
EIConvert
Carney Hall

Postby weinerdog on Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:46 am

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:There were lots of gripes on the gameday thread.

Well, yeah, but that's axiomatic. There always will be gripes, in the heat of the moment, regardless of whether they're valid.

IMO, the UVa game was a wash, as far as playing to win/not to lose. They try some deep routes every game. But they did go for the TD to Spaz's credit. They could have passed for the first on their last possession. But they did play a bit tighter than the usual prevent D. So I dunno.

The bottom line this time is that we narrowly won, and have moved on. Huge game coming on Saturday.
"...and, more importantly, me."
--Gene DeFilippo, January 7, 2009.
weinerdog
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:54 am

BCFAN94 {l Wrote}: Larmond (the future best D back at BC).

I still think Larmond has the potential to be one of the best receivers in BC's program history. The drops are certainly very concerning, but we don't really have a lot of recent history of guys that are able to beat coverage down field like he has done consistently. If its alligator arms its one thing, but he is not typically about to be hit when he makes these drops, I honestly think he just gets ahead of himself and that it will pass as he matures.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:12 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I still think Larmond has the potential to be one of the best receivers in BC's program history. The drops are certainly very concerning, but we don't really have a lot of recent history of guys that are able to beat coverage down field like he has done consistently. If its alligator arms its one thing, but he is not typically about to be hit when he makes these drops, I honestly think he just gets ahead of himself and that it will pass as he matures.

He seems to drop the easy ones and make all the hard catches. A bit frustrating.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:21 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

He seems to drop the easy ones and make all the hard catches. A bit frustrating.

is he a true sophomore?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby AMDG on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:26 am

I think Wake and FSU taught the staff to keep the offensive foot on the accelerator. The problem is that they do not appear to have learned that the defense needs to keep its collective foot on the opponents throat as well. If it's working why not keep it up?
AMDG
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:40 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

is he a true sophomore?

Yes. Don't want to sound like I'm complaining about him. Honestly, I haven't noticed whether he's a good blocker or not, but he runs good routes, he beats his man, he doesn't give up on balls (save for the one at VT), he goes and gets the ball at its highest point...
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby weinerdog on Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:51 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

is he a true sophomore?

Yes. Don't want to sound like I'm complaining about him. Honestly, I haven't noticed whether he's a good blocker or not, but he runs good routes, he beats his man, he doesn't give up on balls (save for the one at VT), he goes and gets the ball at its highest point...

I have a sneaking suspicion that Larmond has been reminded by the coaches of his quitting on that VT route about 1000 times since then. He hasn't quit on one since, and if I'm right, he won't quit on one ever again. If it plays out that way, :kudos to the staff. Next point to drill home is watching the ball all the way in. You know that old technique of making a fumble-prone back tote around a football all week long that the whole campus is free to try to strip? Maybe the staff needs to institute a similarly juvenile method of ensuring Larmond catches the damned football. Call his name out and fire balls at him all week all over campus, in between classes, whatever. If he drops a single one, he does eleventy billion pushups come practice time or something like that. But this dropitis has become a plague.
"...and, more importantly, me."
--Gene DeFilippo, January 7, 2009.
weinerdog
McGuinn Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:12 pm

You want to take a guy with the size and athleticism of Larmond and make him a DB because he needs to work on his hands? Great idea. I think we'd all be happy with Billy Flutie as our big-play guy next year.

Do what weinerdog said. Anything. Just work on the hands so you don't waste his other gifts.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:06 pm

It's not a "hands issue", it's really a focus issue. The simple way to work on that is repitition combined with a technique that forces him to take that extra split second to watch it all the way in. For example, a former baseball coach of mine had a great remedy for those guys who were always pulling their heads out or up during their swing. He'd have them take BP while biting their sleeve so that they were consciously keeping their head down (same works in golf).

My suggestions (not that anyone cares) would be to tell him to make sure he reads the text on the ball as he tucks it in, tell him to focus on the tip of the ball until it shows up between the natural triangle of his two hands, or to go after the ball aggressively whether there is someone next to him or no one within 20 yards and not just wait for it to come to him. Obviously these aren't perfect, but they can work that mental hurdle. They could also get him seriously hurt if he takes too much time reading the text and not enough preparing for a big hit. On the verbal side, just stress that YAC is great, but that you can't get it unless you have the ball first.

**I assume no liability for someone's son/nephew/self getting lit up by a safety when employing my methods in a pee wee, office league, or intramural football. Void in Korea.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:14 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
**I assume no liability for someone's son/nephew/self getting lit up by a safety when employing my methods in a pee wee, office league, or intramural football. Void in Korea.

expect certified mail from pyonyang in your future.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCFAN94 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:42 pm

I was half kidding about the d back comment but, if he continues to drop more, especially like the one he did Saturday, all he is is Jeff Smith in a taller lankier body. He can run faster than anyone on the field but football ain't a track meet. He has to catch the ball. He was 8-10 yards behind the defense, the ball hit him in the hands and he didn't even have to reach for it. It was Shinskie's best pass ever.
BCFAN94
Campion Hall

Postby SJeagle09 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:06 pm

Baby steps I guess.

As a usual griper, see WF, FSU, ND...I only got to catch the fourth quarter of the game as I was at an "NYC gamewatch" without the game on...ahem, and then had to head 70 blocks to the actual gamewatch to watch the last quarter.

Obviously we let them march down the field as we have all come to expect at the end of the game, but I can't say I was paying enough attention to bitch about the prevent D.

The only other thing of note for me was that we should have thrown on that last third down. Getting them to burn their one timeout is not paramount in that instance, getting the first down is. In the college game, with the clock stopping after a first down, and having clock stopping ability within your control (getting out of bounds) timeouts, or at least the one, was not important. They NEED to make the correct call in this instance.

To the posters who defend the coaches and say "oh yea it was Spaz who fumbled on ND's goal line" Montel is going up against 11 defenders doing their best to dislodge the ball, Spaz and the coaches do not have to deal with that equal, opposite force. Response to this is game-planning and in-game adjustments, the coaches do have equal and opposite force in way of the other coaching staff's scheme, adjustments, etc. This instance however has nothing to do with opposing coaches scheme and everything to do with going for the win. Their was no equal and opposite force on the coaches in this instance, throwing the ball was significantly more likely to yield a first down and win the game.

Overall however, I am happy with the coaching staff going for the win when down at their endzone. One little gripe, but the correct call needs to be made.
:pontif
SJeagle09
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:53 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

I am pretty sure this is void in Puerto Rico as well.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby AguilaFan on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:04 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Not after 11/26, Turkey Day

New Sweeps Rules in Puerto Rico

Nov 10, 2009 6:03 AM, Staff for PROMO Xtra
Puerto Rico revised its Sweepstakes and Games of Chance Regulation removing legal barriers that previously forced advertisers to void sales promotions in the territory and to limit participation in many prize contests to only residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia.
The new rules take effect Nov. 26, 2009 and open the door for Puerto Rico s 2.9 million residents to have broader access to participate in the promotions.

Luis G. Rivera Marin, secretary of the commonwealth of Puerto Rico s Department of Consumer Affairs made the announcement.
It is our duty to level the playing field between consumers and commerce, Marin said last week at the PMA legal conference in Chicago. We have to be concerned that [consumers] are not abused or deceived. But we have to do that with a delicate balance so that commercial businesses have certainty in the way they do business, and so we don't become overprotective in the sense that the barriers to do promotions, in this case, actually result in the undesirable cost of just having our market opt out."
Marketers have a choice of running the rules in either English or Spanish, as long as the rules and the ad copy for the sweepstakes are in the same language.

edit: last census has the population at 4 million. Probably using the adult pop. figure.ps
AguilaFan
Carney Hall

Postby Puerto Rico Eagle on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:07 pm

AguilaFan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Not after 11/26, Turkey Day

New Sweeps Rules in Puerto Rico

Nov 10, 2009 6:03 AM, Staff for PROMO Xtra
Puerto Rico revised its Sweepstakes and Games of Chance Regulation removing legal barriers that previously forced advertisers to void sales promotions in the territory and to limit participation in many prize contests to only residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia.
The new rules take effect Nov. 26, 2009 and open the door for Puerto Rico s 2.9 million residents to have broader access to participate in the promotions.

Luis G. Rivera Marin, secretary of the commonwealth of Puerto Rico s Department of Consumer Affairs made the announcement.
It is our duty to level the playing field between consumers and commerce, Marin said last week at the PMA legal conference in Chicago. We have to be concerned that [consumers] are not abused or deceived. But we have to do that with a delicate balance so that commercial businesses have certainty in the way they do business, and so we don't become overprotective in the sense that the barriers to do promotions, in this case, actually result in the undesirable cost of just having our market opt out."
Marketers have a choice of running the rules in either English or Spanish, as long as the rules and the ad copy for the sweepstakes are in the same language.

edit: last census has the population at 4 million. Probably using the adult pop. figure.ps

This info would be correctt....
Puerto Rico Eagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:53 pm

Baby steps I guess.

Bill Parcells had the greatest line in life and it applies to every field.

Paraphrasing....

"If you do not take risks or calculated risks based upon your knowledge and your people and give them a chance to excel or a chance for greatness or a great victory, then you will never accomplish anthing in life in any field.

How many great success stories are guys using their last dollar or taking a huge risk in life with their own life savings knowing it would work?

To be successful in the NFL of football, you have to take risks and not reckless risks for the sake of risks but calculated ones and ones that have a gut feel or you will never win anything!

This has never applied to TOblunders0-13, Nemosis, and Spazoo. Even if Spazoo ends up 10-3, the Clemson and Vt games and in some way the 3 losses like the losses in the last 4 years of the TOb years here and all the WTF's and zombie games told you everything.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium