Notre Dame

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Notre Dame

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:28 am

angryty {l Wrote}:
Watching Saturday night, I was truly humiliated that we lost to that team.

exalt. The board leader has spoken. ND was a WTF loss!
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby weinerdog on Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:31 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
angryty {l Wrote}:
Watching Saturday night, I was truly humiliated that we lost to that team.

exalt. The board leader has spoken. ND was a WTF loss!

Yes it was. The odds don't always mandate what games are eligible for a "WTF" tag. The manner of the loss is what dictates it.
"...and, more importantly, me."
--Gene DeFilippo, January 7, 2009.
weinerdog
McGuinn Hall

Postby chuckfrombc on Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:40 am

After listening to Charlie claim that he has not been told he is gone tonight, I called one of my ND friends to ask about who he thought would be coaching ND next season. We had a pretty good discussion about Weiss and the past several coaches ND has hired. My friend is very frustrated with the selection process and the attitude of many ND backers that the ND job is the one every coach wants. He did mention that he thought Meyer had a ND clause in his current contract that would let him out with a little as a $500K penalty. Although I could not fathom why Meyer would leave one of the best college coaching jobs to come to ND, my friend still feels confident ND can get him. When I pointed out that ND is no longer the program it once was, he pointed out how quickly Alabama had come back once it hired a quality coach. He believes the only problem ND has is to hire a good coach.

As we talked further, the real reason he is so frustrated became clear. ND improved its facilities, added seats to its stadium, and paid a big time salary to get Charlie and he did not deliver. When I pointed out that Charlie was NOT a big time coach or even head coach, he got defensive, so I changed the subject to professional sports. Even though ND beat BC this year, this was supposed to be a rebuilding year for BC and ND was supposed to go to a BCS bowl -- as it is now, BC will end up with a better record and most of its fans considered the ND game to be a WTF loss. Despite all the good-natured and some not-so-good-natured barbing we have with ND fans, this is what really pisses them off.
chuckfrombc
Carney Hall

Postby Boston Domer on Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:22 am

Your post was very astute on several points, which I will address one by one.
chuckfrombc {l Wrote}:After listening to Charlie claim that he has not been told he is gone tonight, I called one of my ND friends to ask about who he thought would be coaching ND next season. We had a pretty good discussion about Weiss and the past several coaches ND has hired. My friend is very frustrated with the selection process and the attitude of many ND backers that the ND job is the one every coach wants.

Your friend is rightfully frustrated with the selection process and so am I. One only needs to look at the previous hire. Florida had fired Ron Zook all the way back in October and were looking for a coach. Soon after, Notre Dame fired Ty Willingham and joined the coaching search. Urban Meyer was the obvious replacement; he had coached at Notre Dame under Davie, and his Utah Utes were undefeated. Reports were that he was enamored with the Fighting Irish job, and had a out close written into his contract. Unfortunately, Notre Dame bought this hype. By the time they were ready to begin formal discussions with Meyer, he had already agreed to take the Florida job. Notre Dame's arrogance and hesitance were costly. However, I do think things will be somewhat different this time around. There was already a report in the Sun Times stating that Notre Dame had contacted Bob Stoops's "confidants" in order to gauge interest.

chuckfrombc {l Wrote}:He did mention that he thought Meyer had a ND clause in his current contract that would let him out with a little as a $500K penalty. Although I could not fathom why Meyer would leave one of the best college coaching jobs to come to ND, my friend still feels confident ND can get him.

I don't think this is a likely scenario, but it is one that should be pursued. I do believe that if Notre Dame had gotten to Meyer first in 2004, they would have had a chance at hiring him. Another thing to consider: if Meyer were at Notre Dame, he would have no conference rules to adhere to.

chuckfrombc {l Wrote}:When I pointed out that ND is no longer the program it once was, he pointed out how quickly Alabama had come back once it hired a quality coach. He believes the only problem ND has is to hire a good coach.

This is true for Notre Dame and several other schools. If Nick Saban, Pete Carroll, or Jim Tressel were to step on campus at Nebraska, UCLA, or Arkansas, that school would become a national title contender within just a few years, regardless of their recent history. The goal of any coaching search at any major college football program should to hire a coach of their caliber, or close to it. The problem is, obviously, that these coaches usually are tied into long-term big-money contracts with other schools. The sure-fire route to success would be to poach one of these coaches. After that, it becomes a gamble. In my opinion, Brian Kelly is the closest to a sure thing of easily available coaches.

chuckfrombc {l Wrote}:As we talked further, the real reason he is so frustrated became clear. ND improved its facilities, added seats to its stadium, and paid a big time salary to get Charlie and he did not deliver.

The University of Notre Dame has done its share to ensure that any talented coach can succeed. He is given fabulous facilities, a sizable assistant coaches salary to offer, and relaxed admissions standards. (Though, they could never compete with the SEC in academic leniency.) The high academic standards argument is a canard. It is only a limitation if one allows it too be. A Notre Dame education is a asset for a recruiter, and a very persuasive pitch to recruits and their parents. Charlie Weis has demonstrated that he can recruit successfully at Notre Dame, even if some positions, such as defensive line, have left room for improvement.

chuckfrombc {l Wrote}:When I pointed out that Charlie was NOT a big time coach or even head coach, he got defensive, so I changed the subject to professional sports.

Weis is not a big time coach, though he may be paid like one. This is obvious to anyone who follows college football.

chuckfrombc {l Wrote}:Even though ND beat BC this year, this was supposed to be a rebuilding year for BC and ND was supposed to go to a BCS bowl -- as it is now, BC will end up with a better record and most of its fans considered the ND game to be a WTF loss. Despite all the good-natured and some not-so-good-natured barbing we have with ND fans, this is what really pisses them off.

This season has been phenomenally disappointing. After having little expectations the past two season, and having those seasons play out even worse, Fighting Irish fans are starving for good football. It was a tremendous relief to have beaten Boston College, but considering the shape of the two teams heading into the season, it was expected. Weis has BCS-level talent and parlayed it into a team that will, at best, end up 7-5 and get beat by Miami, Clemson, or Virginia Tech in the Gator Bowl.
Boston Domer
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:36 am

Like you fucking pussy twats deserve the Gator Bowl.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium