2024 Boston College

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2024 Boston College

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:27 am

This is awesome. I've been a BC fan for 30+ years and they finally went after, and landed, a big time coach. Never thought I'd see the day.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:00 pm

Finalists were reportedly O’Brien, Washington, and Troy Calhoun per Kevin Stone
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:26 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Finalists were reportedly O’Brien, Washington, and Troy Calhoun per Kevin Stone

Finally… after 15 years of promoting him… my dream of Calhoun at BC happened for one day.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:08 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:Finalists were reportedly O’Brien, Washington, and Troy Calhoun per Kevin Stone

Finally… after 15 years of promoting him… my dream of Calhoun at BC happened for one day.

I heard these three and Monken was the 4th but have not CONFIRMED.
This list just makes me sad/mad that Bates hired The Dazzler.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:32 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Seriously. That final four is better than anything any previous search came up with… since, I don’t know… maybe when Henning was hired and we were a hot job coming off of the Coughlin years. You can also throw-in known tertiary candidates of Chryst, Campbell, Fuller and Chip as better than all other previous finalists (and hires). It’s like… wtf were we doing all these years? I’ve always assumed it was Leahy. Maybe it was just the AD negotiating against himself.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:43 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Agree that the pool of candidates was much better than when we hired Daz. That being said based on the other options Bates was looking at Addazio was sadly the best hire of the finalists: Diaco, Lembo, or Kroemer would have all been worse.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:30 pm

Craig Fitzgerald, S&C coach from Florida.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:18 am

IRregardless of the previous ties to bob, that's a hell of a pull. can't imagine he came cheap

edit: some laughs: https://247sports.com/college/florida/b ... 77/?page=1
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:48 am

S&C coach is the most important hire any Head Coach makes in college. And it seems like we got a damn good one.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:13 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:IRregardless of the previous ties to bob, that's a hell of a pull. can't imagine he came cheap

edit: some laughs: https://247sports.com/college/florida/b ... 77/?page=1

A top S&C coach with the HC's full backing will work wonders. Phil Matusz seems like he has a good reputation in the S&C community, but if things were run loosely under Hafley then Matusz wouldn't be able to push the players as much as he should.

If the (hilarious) Florida posters are right that O'Brien and Fitzgerald are best friends, a player trying to take it easy will have nowhere to go except the Portal. If Fitzgerald has such a good reputation, it's probably unlikely that we're looking at exclusively RiceCakes-type routines. With so much emphasis on speed and on year-to-year roster turnover, building power on the line of scrimmage will work wonders in building a system to withstand those issues.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:01 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

The 2000’s consisted of wild consistent success with the lowest payroll in the ACC (basketball included). It’s going to be hard to convince your stingy boss to pay more when it’s been proven you don’t have to. That strategy had to fail in flames for us to get here. I think the 2010’s were filled with wicked stupidity (and cat hair pee fires?) but it was necessary for us to get a place where now we’re paying 4mil
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:50 pm

Will Lawing is allegedly the new Offensive Coordinator per AJ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Lawing
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:14 pm

Tim Lewis, new DC
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:47 am

The experience level of these assistant hires is impressive.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby Logitano on Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:21 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:The experience level of these assistant hires is impressive.

You are impressed with Tim Lewis's "experience"? That is pretty interesting. He has been basically out of mainstream football since 2015 and has not been a DC at the NFL level since 2006.

My memory of him as Coughlin's original dc with the Giants is he was not great and was fired.

Willing to have an open mind but this seems like a very odd pick. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:39 pm

Old friend Jeff Commisiong to be DL coach and Ray Brown from WSU to be DB coach

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:40 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:The experience level of these assistant hires is impressive.

You are impressed with Tim Lewis's "experience"? That is pretty interesting. He has been basically out of mainstream football since 2015 and has not been a DC at the NFL level since 2006.

My memory of him as Coughlin's original dc with the Giants is he was not great and was fired.

Willing to have an open mind but this seems like a very odd pick. :ace

Isn't it likely that options are limited at this time in the coaching cycle?
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:50 pm

Just looking at the wayback machine, the Giants were lukewarm on Coughlin after his first three seasons (this is before the super bowl wins) and basically he cleaned house including Lewis as part of the Jints giving him a one year deal.
Doesn't mean Lewis isn't an odd hire (a few years coaching in high school after the NFL), but seems respected. I mean, for example, Jags has gone to football Siberia, but we know he can coach.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby Logitano on Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:10 pm

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:Just looking at the wayback machine, the Giants were lukewarm on Coughlin after his first three seasons (this is before the super bowl wins) and basically he cleaned house including Lewis as part of the Jints giving him a one year deal.
Doesn't mean Lewis isn't an odd hire (a few years coaching in high school after the NFL), but seems respected. I mean, for example, Jags has gone to football Siberia, but we know he can coach.

Coughlin definitely cleaned house getting rid of all of his coordinators (as an act of self preservation).

Tim Lewis has been in coaching siberia for a very long time and has not coached college since northern exposure was putting out new episodes.

I get we are in trust the staff mode and I will drop this but this definitely had me scratching my head. We could not have bought Wink from Michigan or brought back Bill Sheridan (if we wanted to go the former NYG DC route)? :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:21 pm

I will leave to the experts on shitty Giants coaching staffs, that's too broad of a field to simply dabble.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:31 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Old friend Jeff Commisiong to be DL coach and Ray Brown from WSU to be DB coach

A DL coach needs to be a recruiter, and if I remember correctly, he was a useless recruiter while at BC.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:59 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:Old friend Jeff Commisiong to be DL coach and Ray Brown from WSU to be DB coach

A DL coach needs to be a recruiter, and if I remember correctly, he was a useless recruiter while at BC.

Pretty much. He seemed to be a good coach as his players always over-performed. However, DL is historically a role you give to a guy whose real job is recruiting. Commish was sn awful recruiter throughout his time at BC.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:56 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Pretty much. He seemed to be a good coach as his players always over-performed. However, DL is historically a role you give to a guy whose real job is recruiting. Commish was sn awful recruiter throughout his time at BC.

Every FBS coach's real job, (from HC all the way down to graduate assistant) should first and foremost be, recruiter. These are sales jobs. He who sells the most, wins. The end.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:46 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Every FBS coach's real job, (from HC all the way down to graduate assistant) should first and foremost be, recruiter. These are sales jobs. He who sells the most, wins. The end.

That is all we hired under Hafley. Everyone (including him) was primarily a recruiter first... coach second. How did that work out for you?

But, whalepants are ecstatic today as BOB is bringing Dan O'Brien (TOB's son) back to where he belongs.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:06 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

That is all we hired under Hafley. Everyone (including him) was primarily a recruiter first... coach second. How did that work out for you?

Bad. Because he couldn't recruit shit. His class ranked 14th out of 14 ACC schools last year. Hafley is not an idiot. He quit before the school could fire him for being a salesman who couldn't sell.

HJS {l Wrote}:But, whalepants are ecstatic today as BOB is bringing Dan O'Brien (TOB's son) back to where he belongs.

Get the recruiting classes up where they need to be (at least 7th or 8th in the ACC) and I will "get-back-in." And I will stay "in" even with an annual WTF loss each season. I would not have said that in 2000 but I am saying that 24 years later. The whalepants that I am now wearing have lowered my expectations. And that is sad, but I am beyond surprises.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:12 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Bad. Because he couldn't recruit shit. His class ranked 14th out of 14 ACC schools last year. Hafley is not an idiot. He quit before the school could fire him for being a salesman who couldn't sell.

HJS {l Wrote}:But, whalepants are ecstatic today as BOB is bringing Dan O'Brien (TOB's son) back to where he belongs.

Get the recruiting classes up where they need to be (at least 7th or 8th in the ACC) and I will "get-back-in." And I will stay "in" even with an annual WTF loss each season. I would not have said that in 2000 but I am saying that 24 years later. The whalepants that I am now wearing have lowered my expectations. And that is sad, but I am beyond surprises.

Unless he indicated something different in the press conference, I'm guessing O'Brien's going to install the Ehrhardt-Perkins offense. His first hire was the elite S&C coach (yes, his best friend). Also picked as OC the Patriots Tight Ends coach, who also coached TEs and offensive line at previous stops (including the Texans). Seems like he'll lean into our traditional strength on the line of scrimmage and zag towards Ehrhardt's mantra of "throw to score, run to win".

But Tim Lewis as DC? Really? In 2024? With Commissiong coming back? Nepobaby Dan O'Brien coming off being fired as DC at Southern Miss? Hmmm. Obviously he can't form his ideal staff this late, but hmmm.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:17 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

But, whalepants are ecstatic today as BOB is bringing Dan O'Brien (TOB's son) back to where he belongs.

His press conference reeked of “we are what we are” so it’s so fitting… Welcome back to 2001.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:01 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

His press conference reeked of “we are what we are” so it’s so fitting… Welcome back to 2001.

Agree, but we are also going to build a wall around New England!
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:50 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Agree, but we are also going to build a wall around New England!

In 2001, we were one play away from beating the defending national champion. We WERE what we WERE.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:16 pm

Offense
QB: Obviously, TC is the man. Couple things about his 2023 season: (1) he came in late and didn’t get the #1 snaps until after the NIU game; (2) a coach confirmed that his shoulder was “messed up” and another source told me that he separated his left shoulder in the 2ndQ of the Yukon game. After TC, the fact that we brought in James does not bode well for Robinson as I do not think they would bring in someone to be third string. Rueve and Delaportas are not ACC QBs.

RB: 4 viable and different RBs in Broome, Robichaux, Ward and McDonald. Hafley was very excited about Ward especially. Said we couldn’t stop him 2 years ago, but I don’t remember being able to stop any FSU player with the ball in hand that night.

TE: only 4 TEs for the spring and only 2 have played. Morales is only 6’2” and was the third TE for UNC last season. Franklin shows promise and is still young. Reagan didn’t play even with all of the injuries.

WR: 2023 was supposed to be a breakout season for Griffin, instead it was a dumpster fire. If he caught half of his drops we would have beat NIU. Otherwise, Bradley is the key her because none of the other guys can stretch the field.

OL: Bowry – Taylor – Kendall - ? – Trapillo is the starting OL. The coach that told me this didn’t say anything about the other OG but Conley and Cline alternated during the bowl game. Allick and maybe Thomas will also be in the mix. We offered a bunch of IOL from the portal but didn’t land any.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium