Next…

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Next…

Postby HJS on Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:20 pm

… who do you have to take over this dumpster fire.

You’d think Mullen or BOB would be the logical given previous head coaching success, offensive mind and connections to the area. However, we have who we have for a President and BOT. So, does anyone know a black woman who would be interested in the job?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Re: Next…

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:25 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:… who do you have to take over this dumpster fire.

You’d think Mullen or BOB would be the logical given previous head coaching success, offensive mind and connections to the area. However, we have who we have for a President and BOT. So, does anyone know a black woman who would be interested in the job?

Kamala Harris for HC
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby durkcal on Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:01 pm

I passed Martin Jarmond last week at the UCLA game
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby durkcal on Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:02 pm

durkcal {l Wrote}:I passed Martin Jarmond last week at the UCLA game

Should have asked him. I wasn't thinking quickly
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:13 pm

durkcal {l Wrote}:

If you did, we’d at least know who not to hire.

In his time at BC, he extended Christian and conducted a coaching search where his finalists were Lea and Hafley (from a pool that also included Fickell and Elko). But, he did get Kind bars at the snack table. So… there’s that. I want nothing more than for him to replace Gene Smith.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:19 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
durkcal {l Wrote}:

If you did, we’d at least know who not to hire.

In his time at BC, he extended Christian .

He did that after polling the players!
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby tallsy on Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:45 pm

I was originally against Chesny but given Lance Leipold's success at Kansas, I'm wouldn't hate the hire. I still think leader in clubhouse is Cignetti.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Sep 09, 2023 6:34 pm

tallsy {l Wrote}:I was originally against Chesny but given Lance Leipold's success at Kansas, I'm wouldn't hate the hire. I still think leader in clubhouse is Cignetti.

No more dagos. While Hafley isn’t technically a dago, he is from New Jersey which basically makes him an Eye-tie. This raging dumpster fire of an athletic department was caused by the petite Mussolini who fired Jagz (and more importantly caused Logan to depart in the bargain) and then installed Spazz, which then lead Butt Cutt to replace with Dazzler before our half Sicilian AD Marty Jarmond hired Jersey Jeff.

No, friends. BC has been damaged enough by the Sons of Roma. Now I’ll grant you that this entire fiasco has been overseen by our Oscar Wilde-like Donkey Jesuit President, but the previous two micks in the roll were fantastic. As the Jesuits don’t seem to be producing anything besides communists and pederasts these days, perhaps it is time to disassociate from the order and hire a vengeful, revanchist Nigerian or Congolese Bishop to get everything back on track. We might be able to slip it past the BoT under the guise of enhancing AHANA at BC. They won’t notice a thing until Bill Leahy gets tossed off the top of Gasson in the manner Sub-Saharan Africans across religious and tribal lines address the lifestyle choices of guys like Bill. Maybe then can lure Jimmy Martin up to the Heights for a similar farewell.

With that said, I’ll take back everything I stated above about greaseballs if we install Logitano as the first lay President. It can’t be any worse than our current situation and would be endlessly entertaining.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:16 pm

Chesney could very well be our next coach. He has navigated his way through three Catholic school search committees; he could make his way through this one also. He’d mine the same Catholic high schools he’s been recruiting nationally at HC. He’s obviously built name recognition amongst New England HS coaches. So he wouldn’t be starting from zero in recruiting.

These guys would also have to do some serious S&C if Chesney came in, almost assuredly following the Coughlin plan. Despite Jaden Williams’s two catches for 70 yards today, I expect Chesney would strongly encourage anti-leaders like him to move on. Any new coach would have to be willing to offload “good” players who undermine the common goal.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby Logitano on Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:30 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
tallsy {l Wrote}:I was originally against Chesny but given Lance Leipold's success at Kansas, I'm wouldn't hate the hire. I still think leader in clubhouse is Cignetti.

No more dagos. While Hafley isn’t technically a dago, he is from New Jersey which basically makes him an Eye-tie. This raging dumpster fire of an athletic department was caused by the petite Mussolini who fired Jagz (and more importantly caused Logan to depart in the bargain) and then installed Spazz, which then lead Butt Cutt to replace with Dazzler before our half Sicilian AD Marty Jarmond hired Jersey Jeff.

No, friends. BC has been damaged enough by the Sons of Roma. Now I’ll grant you that this entire fiasco has been overseen by our Oscar Wilde-like Donkey Jesuit President, but the previous two micks in the roll were fantastic. As the Jesuits don’t seem to be producing anything besides communists and pederasts these days, perhaps it is time to disassociate from the order and hire a vengeful, revanchist Nigerian or Congolese Bishop to get everything back on track. We might be able to slip it past the BoT under the guise of enhancing AHANA at BC. They won’t notice a thing until Bill Leahy gets tossed off the top of Gasson in the manner Sub-Saharan Africans across religious and tribal lines address the lifestyle choices of guys like Bill. Maybe then can lure Jimmy Martin up to the Heights for a similar farewell.

With that said, I’ll take back everything I stated above about greaseballs if we install Logitano as the first lay President. It can’t be any worse than our current situation and would be endlessly entertaining.

THIS! :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:52 pm

I’ll remind folks Halfey was a really hot and popular hire at the time (and he’s nearly left the last few years for much better jobs).

Chesney could get you back to Daz levels of success depending on what our conference looks like.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:26 pm

I think everyone here needs a pick me up, so consider Pitt. Beaten by a badly depleted Cincy squad at home. Jurk goes 10/32 and their best running back was previously the seventh string RB at Notre Dame. And postgame, Jurk through another temper tantrum about fans booing him.

That isn’t to say I think we will beat Pitt, but we will definitely have a chance. Ditto at home against UVA, who played about as well as they are capable of playing and still lost to James Madison. Army also looks pretty bad. That is four potential wins right there, and I am sure Hafley will have the boys up for a home grudge match against UCONN. With the fire he displayed in the press conference I think we can turn this around and make a third tier bowl game….

Fuck. Try as I might, I can’t talk myself into it. We probably beat Army. Not sure we can beat anyone else. What a fiasco.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:38 am

If he were coaching, say, Wisconsin-Whitewater or Montana or some similar FCS program not in New England, would we have ever heard of Bob Chesney?
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:05 am

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:If he were coaching, say, Wisconsin-Whitewater or Montana or some similar FCS program not in New England, would we have ever heard of Bob Chesney?

This is exactly the point I was making.

He’s not a disaster level hire, but the next coach should be BOB or Mullen
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:08 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I’ll remind folks Halfey was a really hot and popular hire at the time (and he’s nearly left the last few years for much better jobs).

Hafley was a popular hire. But, in none the less was a risk taking a shot on the guy who was never a head coach and not really even a coordinator. It could’ve worked. But, you’re relying on the hiring authority to identify the talent and provide the support that’s needed for someone making a big jump in responsibility. In our case, that was Jarmond. He was most concerned about winning the press conference so he could move. Which is exactly what happened.

That said, the parenthetical is just not true. He has never had the chance to move to any better program as a head coach. All he did was have his agent to stir up interest to get a commitment from the carpet-bagger AD he was then working for. No one was hiring him off of 6-wins and no actual bowl games.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCdee on Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:50 pm

Leahy has been at BC since 1996...every year I pray it's his last, but he's so stubborn, he won't leave.

Leahy and his minions need to be fired ASAP. Is the BOT compromised by friends of Leahy? And why did we allow a furry as professor that probably enjoys his students dressing up as mascots for class? What is going on!?

Just give me someone with some common sense, please.
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Sep 10, 2023 6:47 pm

Rumor is Hafley’s buyout is 10 million this year so if true, he’s going nowhere which is honestly probably a good thing considering the people we still have running BC (looking at you, BOT).
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:05 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Rumor is Hafley’s buyout is 10 million this year so if true, he’s going nowhere which is honestly probably a good thing considering the people we still have running BC (looking at you, BOT).

That number seems way high
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:33 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:Rumor is Hafley’s buyout is 10 million this year so if true, he’s going nowhere which is honestly probably a good thing considering the people we still have running BC (looking at you, BOT).

How many years are left on this contract at how much annually?
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:45 pm

BCdee {l Wrote}:And why did we allow a furry as professor that probably enjoys his students dressing up as mascots for class? What is going on!?

I don't think the BOT at BC are convinced as to how important football and men's basketball are to the notoriety of a school like Boston College. They don't understand because the data isn't there telling them those sports are all that important. They want to be a supped up Georgetown or Villanova, not Notre Dame. I suppose that would be different if all 44,500 seats were sold to every game (with a 10,000 person waiting list for season's tickets.) That would be evidence to the BOT as to the importance of the two revenue sports. But BC doesn't have that. And I don't know if they ever did.

You said Leahy has been here since 1996. Okay so he was here on Nov 2nd, 2007. That Saturday night, BC football was 8-0, a Heisman candidate at QB, #2 in the country, and playing a nationally televised game with the real potential of playing for the national championship. And that night, they didn't even sell out the game. Now, you can say well, The Red Sox were playing a World Series game or that it was Hurricane weather conditions. But for fucks' sake, its just 44,500 seats. There are 5,000,000 people in the Metro Boston area to buy up 44,500 seats. If its not that important on that night, then maybe it never was at anytime in BC sports history? So, we have furries, Quidditch matches, and students who can score 1560 on the SAT but are not smart enough to know their own gender because, why not?
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:14 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:… who do you have to take over this dumpster fire.

You missed your chance at BOB
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Supahfan99 on Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:33 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:I don't think the BOT at BC are convinced as to how important football and men's basketball are to the notoriety of a school like Boston College. They don't understand because the data isn't there telling them those sports are all that important. They want to be a supped up Georgetown or Villanova, not Notre Dame. I suppose that would be different if all 44,500 seats were sold to every game (with a 10,000 person waiting list for season's tickets.) That would be evidence to the BOT as to the importance of the two revenue sports. But BC doesn't have that. And I don't know if they ever did.

Jesus Christ, it's Boston College, we invented "the Flutie Effect" and literally provide the data and proof of this concept for all universities in America. Does the BOT not know our history and how to google that or do we just have a BOT full of retards?
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:36 am

I would be happy to fire Hafley after his next loss and bring in Mullen to finish the season and then potentially after that.

I had thrown out BOB on the Bird app but got a lot of flack for it. Folks think he is going to be in the NFL going forward.

One name I sort of forgot about was Brian Flores. I could see him here.

Dan (?) O'Brien's - DC at Southern Miss. TOB's son.

Liam Coen - OC at Kentucky. Comes from a BC family, wanted to go to BC as a kid.
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:55 am

DrJackRyan {l Wrote}:I would be happy to fire Hafley after his next loss and bring in Mullen to finish the season and then potentially after that.

I had thrown out BOB on the Bird app but got a lot of flack for it. Folks think he is going to be in the NFL going forward.

One name I sort of forgot about was Brian Flores. I could see him here.

Dan (?) O'Brien's - DC at Southern Miss. TOB's son.

Liam Coen - OC at Kentucky. Comes from a BC family, wanted to go to BC as a kid.

For this purpose I'll assume that extension didn't leave us with a $10m buyout.

Agree BOB ship has sailed. Dunno enough about Mullen to say, though it doesn't seem like he exercises a very firm hand. No thank you on coordinators with whom we have a connection or who are "hot".

This team needs discipline and a foundation. So give me Flores, Chesney or Cignetti. Since I think BC would be terrified to hire anyone involved in litigation and I don't think Cignetti would leave JMU for this, that means Chesney.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:28 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

How many years are left on this contract at how much annually?

He was extended through 2026 (i.e. 3 years remaining) and making $3.3mm per is a reasonable assumption. Thus, $10mm makes sense (and is pretty cheap versus all other schools). This likely would have an offset where he only gets that money if he doesn't work. For a guy his age, I doubt he pulls a Spaz (and sits out) and more likely jumps right back into a DBs role in the NFL (or DC at BabyRapist). Won't be a full offset, but drops that number down to something more like $7mm.

However, the inferred point that Leahy won't pay for someone not to work is valid. Don't know how to bridge that with a stadium that is empty every week (but for a sea of purple from Holy Cross fans). The BOT would be the normal answer, but our Trustees only seem to hold a fiduciary duty only to the President... not the institution that has hired him (apparently for life).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby tallsy on Tue Sep 12, 2023 2:08 am

The real tragedy of this is that we are in the exact same position we were in after Spaz. And Leahy/BOT are going to look for another Daz. After the Hafley experiment, I think the impulse is going to be finding a sure path to respectability even though no such animal exists. David Shaw? Jason Candle? Chris Creighton? Shawn Clark? Two-time USFL champion Skip Holtz will probably be on the short list, and I hate to say it but he probably has the highest floor of any candidate outside BOB or Mullen (neither of whom I think are realistic) even if he also has the lowest ceiling.

Jeff Tedford would be prefect if he weren't ancient and a lifelong West Coaster.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:35 pm

tallsy {l Wrote}:The real tragedy of this is that we are in the exact same position we were in after Spaz. And Leahy/BOT are going to look for another Daz. After the Hafley experiment, I think the impulse is going to be finding a sure path to respectability even though no such animal exists. David Shaw? Jason Candle? Chris Creighton? Shawn Clark? Two-time USFL champion Skip Holtz will probably be on the short list, and I hate to say it but he probably has the highest floor of any candidate outside BOB or Mullen (neither of whom I think are realistic) even if he also has the lowest ceiling.

Jeff Tedford would be prefect if he weren't ancient and a lifelong West Coaster.

Agree these are likely candidates, including Skip Holtz. I think Chesney's more interesting than some of you, but admittedly I drunk the Hafley kool-aid until after the Rutgers game. I doubt Brian Flores would leave the NFL except to be HC at a higher-level program than BC. But based on this article he'd shock the bejeezus out of these players with his expectations.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:07 pm

OCs_Inner_Eagle {l Wrote}:
tallsy {l Wrote}:The real tragedy of this is that we are in the exact same position we were in after Spaz. And Leahy/BOT are going to look for another Daz. After the Hafley experiment, I think the impulse is going to be finding a sure path to respectability even though no such animal exists. David Shaw? Jason Candle? Chris Creighton? Shawn Clark? Two-time USFL champion Skip Holtz will probably be on the short list, and I hate to say it but he probably has the highest floor of any candidate outside BOB or Mullen (neither of whom I think are realistic) even if he also has the lowest ceiling.

Agree these are likely candidates, including Skip Holtz. I think Chesney's more interesting than some of you, but admittedly I drunk the Hafley kool-aid until after the Rutgers game. I doubt Brian Flores would leave the NFL except to be HC at a higher-level program than BC. But based on this article he'd shock the bejeezus out of these players with his expectations.

The Rutgers game was also where I said enough was enough.

They need a coach with enthusiasm, life, spirit, ingenuity, someone who can think way outside the box and get the players to buy-in on the fact that they can go on the field, play opposite a team that the mathematically better than they are, and win these games. I am not expecting Deion Sanders, but they DO need someone showing that level of enthusiasm. Saying we all need to "get in" isn't really saying anything. Explaining the details (mathematically) of what went bad in a game to pre-empt a critical media, while at the same time doing whatever you must to win, that says a lot. There are tangible results there.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Sep 12, 2023 7:38 pm

tallsy {l Wrote}:The real tragedy of this is that we are in the exact same position we were in after Spaz. And Leahy/BOT are going to look for another Daz. After the Hafley experiment, I think the impulse is going to be finding a sure path to respectability even though no such animal exists. David Shaw? Jason Candle? Chris Creighton? Shawn Clark? Two-time USFL champion Skip Holtz will probably be on the short list, and I hate to say it but he probably has the highest floor of any candidate outside BOB or Mullen (neither of whom I think are realistic) even if he also has the lowest ceiling. Jeff Tedford would be prefect if he weren't ancient and a lifelong West Coaster.

You aren't wrong. However, the truth is that there are plenty of accomplished coaches who would come here and do better. Doing better is pretty much all we can ever hope for at this point. With the changing landscape of pay-for-play and schools who pay more for coordinators than we do a head coach, BC is just not the place that will be willing to go out and hire a Deion Sanders... no matter how much money it will make or how much fun it would be to be relevant. Given the current self-imposed constraints, we will always need to make hires that are a major risk or boring. We are the only Power 4 conference fanbase that looks at guys like Mullen and BOB and view it as an unattainable dream. We probably are the only fanbase who even remebers those two... and that is because they are experienced AND not boring (thus, a homerun in our book). But, taking it down many levels is appropriate because Leahy won't pay anything for the next coach if he paying someone else to leave.

From that perspective (and given the age of our AD), I think it is reasonable to assume that we'd look at much older coaches who are essentially looking for a 6-year retirement plan. So... that means coaches who were personal favorites since Spaz... like AngryDick's RichRod or Logi's Joe Moorhead or ATL's Pete Lembo or teddy's Don Brown or BCSUPERFAN22's Paul Chryst or or TRE's Al Golden or (best of all) my 15-year promoting of Troy Calhoun. Beyond that, there are the guys who are truly Addazio-like hires in that they are north of 60: KC Keeler, Brady Hoke, Curt Cignetti. Finally there are guys who no one would be excited about but probably would not have interest in this dumpster fire (which shows the disconnect between fans and reality): Lance Leipold, Jeff Monken, Tom Herman, Jim Mora, Jason Candle, Bryan Harsin and Will Hall.

At this point, there is likely a good argument to be made that, if the BOT is just going to facilitate Leahy's salting of the athletics program, we should consider going all-in on the Rice model and back out of the ACC. It is so much more palatable to quit than pretending to try.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:54 pm

I can't believe I got saddled with Don Brown. I'm a Logan guy, like you are a Rutgers guy.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium