No one could be worse than Jeff Hafley

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

No one could be worse than Jeff Hafley

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:10 am

That was so bad I had to come back
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Re: No one could be worse than Jeff Hafley

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:18 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:That was so bad I had to come back

So you are a masochist. Well enjoy.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:18 am

Ed Chlebek… that is precisely whose winning percentage that Hafley has in his sites for historic ineptitude.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:39 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:That was so bad I had to come back

In some ways, Hafley is like Frank Spaziani. He was a successful defensive coordinator working for a coach who could recruit his ass off. But neither of them are competent enough to be a head coach. Haf should have just stayed a defensive coordinator.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby MattTheEagle on Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:22 pm

Hafley has been bad and it’s now clear that he has made some pretty big coaching errors. I agree that this is sadly reminiscent of Spaz. I am tired of anyone claiming Hafley is better or even equivalent to Addazio as a coach. Hafley inherited a program consistently winning 6-7 games in the regular season but couldn’t get over the hump under Addazio. Hafley seems to be running the program into the ground similar to what Spaz did. Addazio gets 7 wins easy with this schedule and I’m not sure Hafley even gets 6.

Losing to UConn last year was maybe BC’s worst loss in 10 years.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:40 am

Yeah, Hafley is Spaziani level. Or close to it. On one hand, we haven't lost a recruit to Northeastern track under Hafley; on the other hand I have yet to hear about Haf picking up the tab for a deli order.
I have to remind myself the Dazzler sucked a lot too. There was 2015 with an ACC-winless season with an 8 game losing streak (though BC beat NIU that year)

How do we reverse the curse of GDF?
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Sep 06, 2023 8:04 pm

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:Yeah, Hafley is Spaziani level. Or close to it. On one hand, we haven't lost a recruit to Northeastern track under Hafley; on the other hand I have yet to hear about Haf picking up the tab for a deli order.
I have to remind myself the Dazzler sucked a lot too. There was 2015 with an ACC-winless season with an 8 game losing streak (though BC beat NIU that year)

Hire JDF
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:14 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:Yeah, Hafley is Spaziani level. Or close to it. On one hand, we haven't lost a recruit to Northeastern track under Hafley; on the other hand I have yet to hear about Haf picking up the tab for a deli order.

Hire JDF

I have a friend who was tight with JDF at JMU. And while I despise his Dad and the havoc he left in his wake at BC, based on the stories he tells of JDF coed interactions at JMU, I think he would fit in at this dumpster fire of a website and has much in common with Duchie—aside from being a dago.

Besides, could it really be any worse? Let’s face it, no one would be completely shocked in Hafley figured out a way to lose to Holy Cross. Is JDF incompetent enough to let that happen? I’m not sure even Spazz could pull that off.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:49 pm

Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby DrJackRyan on Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:56 am

If you are new to this site - not sure anyone actually is - there was a statement one time about our QBs that "No one could be worse than Chris Crane!" and then BC ran out a number of QBs that were in fact, worse that Chris Crane.
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:13 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Hire JDF

Hey ATL, thanks for resuming the blog posts. I appreciate it and the time you put into them. They are always a good read.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Thu Sep 07, 2023 1:43 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Hire JDF

Hey ATL, thanks for resuming the blog posts. I appreciate it and the time you put into them. They are always a good read.

Bring back the comments you coward.
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby durkcal on Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:48 pm

The comparison for Hafley is not Spaziani. First of all, Hafley was NOT a successful defensive coordinator. He was a Co - DC at Ohio State for ONE season! How is that a success? What he had was : a) demonstrated recruiting success, 2) long time bright NFL assistant coach, and 3) good personality for the media/alumni. We rolled the dice on a guy without head coaching experience. Didn't work. With the benefit of hindsight, his lack of longer term DC track record was a shortcoming. Being responsible for leading a defense for a longer period, for better or worse, would have taught him a lot about leadership, staff, etc...

Spaziani had none of those three qualifications. Spaz was a promotion from within. More of the same was the goal. Didn't work.

The comp for Hafley has been, for the last two years, DAN HENNING. The program became soft and bereft of discipline on his watch. And he had the long time NFL credentials, but clearly did not know how to lead a college program himself. This is the comp.

Most head coaching hires don't work.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:17 pm

durkcal {l Wrote}:The comparison for Hafley is not Spaziani. First of all, Hafley was NOT a successful defensive coordinator. He was a Co - DC at Ohio State for ONE season! How is that a success? What he had was : a) demonstrated recruiting success, 2) long time bright NFL assistant coach, and 3) good personality for the media/alumni. We rolled the dice on a guy without head coaching experience. Didn't work. With the benefit of hindsight, his lack of longer term DC track record was a shortcoming. Being responsible for leading a defense for a longer period, for better or worse, would have taught him a lot about leadership, staff, etc...

Spaziani had none of those three qualifications. Spaz was a promotion from within. More of the same was the goal. Didn't work.

The comp for Hafley has been, for the last two years, DAN HENNING. The program became soft and bereft of discipline on his watch. And he had the long time NFL credentials, but clearly did not know how to lead a college program himself. This is the comp.

Okay I could see that.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:25 pm

The outcome of a team with no coordination and even less discipline is similar to Henning. However, Henning had much more elite experience than Hafley. Their resumes weren’t remotely the same.

Hafley is just showing why he’ll never be anything but a DB coach.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:37 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:The outcome of a team with no coordination and even less discipline is similar to Henning. However, Henning had much more elite experience than Hafley. Their resumes weren’t remotely the same.

with a bad haircut.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby durkcal on Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:10 pm

I know everyone hates ALL head coaching suggestions. Bill O'Brien yada yada, etc.... But this James Madison team that beat Virginia today plays the sport well. That's all I'm saying. If you didn't know the last name, would you really be that opposed?
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Sep 09, 2023 4:18 pm

durkcal {l Wrote}:I know everyone hates ALL head coaching suggestions. Bill O'Brien yada yada, etc.... But this James Madison team that beat Virginia today plays the sport well. That's all I'm saying. If you didn't know the last name, would you really be that opposed?

I don't care who the next coach of BC is, as long as it isn't Hafley. This is ridiculous.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Sep 18, 2023 12:52 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
durkcal {l Wrote}:The comp for Hafley has been, for the last two years, DAN HENNING. The program became soft and bereft of discipline on his watch. And he had the long time NFL credentials, but clearly did not know how to lead a college program himself. This is the comp.

The outcome of a team with no coordination and even less discipline is similar to Henning. However, Henning had much more elite experience than Hafley. Their resumes weren’t remotely the same.

with a bad haircut.

The lack of discipline is so scary similar to Henning. "Players coaches" never seem to work out in College. Wonder if The Gamblor (trademark TRE) was roaming the sidelines to make sure a parlay paid out.

Ahhh... the Good Old Days when we would be so favored against Pitt that a loss to them would set off an investigation. Could see Leahy's career come full circle.
https://vault.si.com/vault/1996/11/18/d ... on-college
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Sep 18, 2023 3:19 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
durkcal {l Wrote}:The comp for Hafley has been, for the last two years, DAN HENNING. The program became soft and bereft of discipline on his watch. And he had the long time NFL credentials, but clearly did not know how to lead a college program himself. This is the comp.

with a bad haircut.

The lack of discipline is so scary similar to Henning. "Players coaches" never seem to work out in College. Wonder if The Gamblor (trademark TRE) was roaming the sidelines to make sure a parlay paid out.

Ahhh... the Good Old Days when we would be so favored against Pitt that a loss to them would set off an investigation. Could see Leahy's career come full circle.

So Marcus Bembry has apparently died. More surprising, he was allowed to graduate from BC.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Sep 18, 2023 10:10 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

with a bad haircut.

So Marcus Bembry has apparently died. More surprising, he was allowed to graduate from BC.

Wow, he would have only been in his 40s. Do you know what was the cause of death or what happened?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:58 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

with a bad haircut.

https://archive.seattletimes.com/archive/?date=19970824&slug=2556341
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium