2023 BC Football

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2023 BC Football

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:23 pm

We KNEW Ryan was the QB (for years.) We KNEW Rettig was the QB (for years.)

I think the main problem here is we don't already automatically know who the QB will be. We haven't been in that mindset for almost a decade. Moorehead starts but none of us have confidence in him for the season. yeah, 3-9. Maybe. If they are lucky.

I want :toby back.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:06 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:IMHO, this team is mathematically weaker (in virtually every aspect of football) than last year's team. With this roster of true youngsters, 3-9 would be very successful. Saturday's game is (at best) a coin flip. In any event, I'm done with Hafley. Time to find another coach.

I'm pretty down on Hafley, but this is incorrect after they brought in like a dozen + guys from the transfer portal and have the easiest schedule ever.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:46 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:IMHO, this team is mathematically weaker (in virtually every aspect of football) than last year's team. With this roster of true youngsters, 3-9 would be very successful. Saturday's game is (at best) a coin flip. In any event, I'm done with Hafley. Time to find another coach.

I'm pretty down on Hafley, but this is incorrect after they brought in like a dozen + guys from the transfer portal and have the easiest schedule ever.

more inportantly they got rid of guges or whatever his name was. and also brought in rhoads on defensive side.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby eagle33 on Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:58 am

George Takacs has high goals - TE ready to be ‘the guy’.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2023/08/28/boston-colleges-george-takacs-has-high-goals/
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:43 am

Captains: Garwo, Mahogany, DePalma, Ezeiruaku
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:08 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:We will know after the first quarter if this team is any good with Moorhead at QB. Hafley’s teams rarely score first quarter points. If they’re up 14-0, then there is hope. If it’s a struggle to get 3 points, expect to see Castolanos. He practiced a lot with the first team in the last scrimmage.

The other problem with Hafley’s teams are that they run out of gas in the 4th quarter. This is inexcusable for a D1 coach. The kicking game is another area of concern.

Go Eagles!

This team was four points away from 1-11, winless against FBS competition. The team was as healthy as they would be in the opener last season, and they had kept the ball for 55-60% of the time prior to Rutgers' game-winning drive. That drive, as we all recall, was exclusively on the ground. Rutgers bet that they were in better shape and could overpower BC at the end, and they were correct.

Last year before the Rutgers disaster, there was a planted Boston Globe story about how Hafley was coaching with more of an edge, and was more demanding during the 2022 spring and summer. I'm sure we'll read the same type of puff piece this year. The we'll see if the team maximized its preparation for this coming season. I agree with so many that the NIU and HC games will tell a lot about this team.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:48 pm

Should go 10-2 but will probably end up with only 8 or 9 wins but even that would still be the best results since 2009.

Looking forward to mocking these awful predictions come December!
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:36 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Should go 10-2 but will probably end up with only 8 or 9 wins but even that would still be the best results since 2009.

Looking forward to mocking these awful predictions come December!

hansen, not going to lie. I would love it if you were right. I would love to eat crow.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:38 pm

OCs_Inner_Eagle {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:We will know after the first quarter if this team is any good with Moorhead at QB. Hafley’s teams rarely score first quarter points. If they’re up 14-0, then there is hope. If it’s a struggle to get 3 points, expect to see Castolanos. He practiced a lot with the first team in the last scrimmage.

The other problem with Hafley’s teams are that they run out of gas in the 4th quarter. This is inexcusable for a D1 coach. The kicking game is another area of concern.

Go Eagles!

This team was four points away from 1-11, winless against FBS competition. The team was as healthy as they would be in the opener last season, and they had kept the ball for 55-60% of the time prior to Rutgers' game-winning drive. That drive, as we all recall, was exclusively on the ground. Rutgers bet that they were in better shape and could overpower BC at the end, and they were correct.

Last year before the Rutgers disaster, there was a planted Boston Globe story about how Hafley was coaching with more of an edge, and was more demanding during the 2022 spring and summer. I'm sure we'll read the same type of puff piece this year. The we'll see if the team maximized its preparation for this coming season. I agree with so many that the NIU and HC games will tell a lot about this team.

:shrug

I mean, as far as I'm concerned, losing to Rutgers at home means the AD fires the coach. Like right there, terminated. And if not then, then at LEAST fire him after losing to UConn. Because those things don't happen at BC the way they do at universities that give a damn about the program....

:shrug
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:19 am

OCs_Inner_Eagle {l Wrote}:

Go Eagles!

BC also played terrible and probably should've lost to Maine...
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:34 am

Morehead, Castellanos give BC different looks.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2023/08/28/qbs-morehead-castellanos-give-bc-different-looks-in-season-opener/

if morehead struggles lets not waste any time giving castellanos a shot.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby durkcal on Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:00 pm

One thing to watch for Saturday is which team is clearly more physical? If there are bone crushing hits, who is delivering them? who is getting pancaked? Who is up giving a lot of trash talk after delivering a bone crushing hit?

Do not judge who is trash talking the most. Clearly, our team knows how to do that. But we've slowly become the softest charmin football team in FBS football. And these smaller conference teams KNOW it. They deliver hard hits to our team, and get up talking smack. Our talkers don't like it, so we talk back. (which btw makes us a joke because most football teams getting their asses handed to them stay quiet) But eventually, it takes a LOT of skill to overcome a more physical team. (skill we have not had, yet) And, oh by the way, guys that are tired of getting thumped, they start to cheat on their assignment. One or two guys "cheating" their assignment leads to blown plays and points for the other team in football. It's a different sport like that. You're only as good as the weakest player on your unit on that play. That's why Alabama. Georgia, etc...are good, the weakest guy on the field on every play adequately completes their assignment on every play.

If Hafley has learned anything about what to change about this football program, he will have prepared the team to be more physical. I doubt he and we are there.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby eagle33 on Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:19 pm

Hope for college football’s (hopefully) not hopeless programs.

Boston College
Boston College came in at No. 13 in the ACC’s preseason poll. It’s been a rough go for coach Jeff Hafley’s Eagles, who won just three games a year ago and lost six of their last seven contests. But kudos to Boston College for beating both Louisville and NC State by a single point, showing that not all hope was lost.

This year, there’s reason for slightly more optimism. Although the Eagles still have to play Florida State, they avoided Clemson (a win in itself), Notre Dame and North Carolina on the schedule as the ACC goes division-less. Nonconference matchups against Northern Illinois, Holy Cross, Army and UConn should be forgiving, especially as the Eagles turn to a new quarterback following the departure of journeyman Phil Jurkovec. Emmett Morehead threw for 1,200-plus yards and 10 touchdowns a season ago with 10 appearances and four starts. It doesn’t hurt that he’ll have Christian Mahogany, one of the league’s better guards, helping anchor his offensive line.

https://theathletic.com/4807517/2023/08/28/college-football-texas-am-colorado-indiana/
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:30 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:Hope for college football’s (hopefully) not hopeless programs.

Boston College
Boston College came in at No. 13 in the ACC’s preseason poll. It’s been a rough go for coach Jeff Hafley’s Eagles, who won just three games a year ago and lost six of their last seven contests. But kudos to Boston College for beating both Louisville and NC State by a single point, showing that not all hope was lost.

This year, there’s reason for slightly more optimism. Although the Eagles still have to play Florida State, they avoided Clemson (a win in itself), Notre Dame and North Carolina on the schedule as the ACC goes division-less. Nonconference matchups against Northern Illinois, Holy Cross, Army and UConn should be forgiving, especially as the Eagles turn to a new quarterback following the departure of journeyman Phil Jurkovec. Emmett Morehead threw for 1,200-plus yards and 10 touchdowns a season ago with 10 appearances and four starts. It doesn’t hurt that he’ll have Christian Mahogany, one of the league’s better guards, helping anchor his offensive line.

https://theathletic.com/4807517/2023/08/28/college-football-texas-am-colorado-indiana/

If a sports writer is REQUIRED to write a hopeful, positive post, about a program that he feels is in an absolute hopeless situation, this would be it.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby durkcal on Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:39 pm

My thoughts on the depth chart:

Offense - the best starters we have are our 2 guards, Hergel and Mahogany, and O'Keefe. There are some guys starting that are on thin ice. Most in danger: 1) Takacs - we'll see if the injuries explained the poor play. Lillis is a better blocker IMO, and TE blocking matters, esp for the run game. Not clear that we have a good TE on the roster, so Takacs may continue to play a lot. 2) Morehead - difference for Morehead is that he has Castellanos behind him, and TC can play. I predict this switch will happen, and when it does, it will be a great thing. 3) L Taylor - disappointing that Bowry couldn't beat this guy out. Maybe he will get another shot? When we play the teams with good edge rushers, it is going to be ugly regardless of who plays at LT
I noticed that basically the entire OL (ex Mahogany) got bigger. BC must want to wear on people this year. Some of our better offensive weapons don't even start. Look for Castellanos, X Coleman, Broome to become starters before the end of the year, or to play big roles.

Defense - Ezeiruaku is our best player, but he's not an elite pass rusher. He excels against the run. Sillah is a little bit the same, and if healthy, he is also a top player for the defense. Pupel joins them as maybe 2nd best player on the defense. Question marks : 1) Rooks - IDK, we'll see what he has for FBS competition. I'd see K Banks and K Williams being better than him. 2) Blackwell or B Steele - there's just no competition at LB, and therefore weak guys like this get to play/start. Hopefully JB can improve cover skills. BC LBs tend to get torched in the passing game 3) A Jackson at CB - young player, but IDK, I see teams picking on him. I'd like to see A Washington win this spot. I see quality depth in Okpala, Kolenge, A Washington, V Nelson, K Banks, K williams, etc...Issue is there is no depth at LB. If DePalma and or Arnold go down, a mediocre unit is going to be terrible. Why can't we recruit/develop/transfer portal LB's? If the LB's stay healthy and or improve, the defense has a chance to be solid.

Overall for the year , the questions I don't see us having answers for are LT, TE and SLB. Mahogany, Hergel and DePalma have to stay healthy, because we don't have attractive alternatives. I see a long year that leads to a coaching change. But hey, maybe the portal players that have brought in and some health gets us to .500?
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:47 pm

durkcal {l Wrote}:My thoughts on the depth chart:

Offense - the best starters we have are our 2 guards, Hergel and Mahogany, and O'Keefe. There are some guys starting that are on thin ice. Most in danger: 1) Takacs - we'll see if the injuries explained the poor play. Lillis is a better blocker IMO, and TE blocking matters, esp for the run game. Not clear that we have a good TE on the roster, so Takacs may continue to play a lot. 2) Morehead - difference for Morehead is that he has Castellanos behind him, and TC can play. I predict this switch will happen, and when it does, it will be a great thing. 3) L Taylor - disappointing that Bowry couldn't beat this guy out. Maybe he will get another shot? When we play the teams with good edge rushers, it is going to be ugly regardless of who plays at LT
I noticed that basically the entire OL (ex Mahogany) got bigger. BC must want to wear on people this year. Some of our better offensive weapons don't even start. Look for Castellanos, X Coleman, Broome to become starters before the end of the year, or to play big roles.

Defense - Ezeiruaku is our best player, but he's not an elite pass rusher. He excels against the run. Sillah is a little bit the same, and if healthy, he is also a top player for the defense. Pupel joins them as maybe 2nd best player on the defense. Question marks : 1) Rooks - IDK, we'll see what he has for FBS competition. I'd see K Banks and K Williams being better than him. 2) Blackwell or B Steele - there's just no competition at LB, and therefore weak guys like this get to play/start. Hopefully JB can improve cover skills. BC LBs tend to get torched in the passing game 3) A Jackson at CB - young player, but IDK, I see teams picking on him. I'd like to see A Washington win this spot. I see quality depth in Okpala, Kolenge, A Washington, V Nelson, K Banks, K williams, etc...Issue is there is no depth at LB. If DePalma and or Arnold go down, a mediocre unit is going to be terrible. Why can't we recruit/develop/transfer portal LB's? If the LB's stay healthy and or improve, the defense has a chance to be solid.

Overall for the year , the questions I don't see us having answers for are LT, TE and SLB. Mahogany, Hergel and DePalma have to stay healthy, because we don't have attractive alternatives. I see a long year that leads to a coaching change. But hey, maybe the portal players that have brought in and some health gets us to .500?

WTF is this? What have you seen from X Coleman that makes you think he should be playing more? Pupel played in 4 games last year (on special teams) but you think he is our 2nd best player on D?
I agree that is a big problem at LB.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:46 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

WTF is this? What have you seen from X Coleman that makes you think he should be playing more? Pupel played in 4 games last year (on special teams) but you think he is our 2nd best player on D?
I agree that is a big problem at LB.

this team is weaker than last year's three-and-nine team that lost to Yukon
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:11 pm

Bigger b/c more muscle or flab? We’ll find out tomorrow.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:03 am

10-2

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 02, 2023 9:57 am

This team is going to be far better than last year. The QB switch should happen sooner rather than later.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:09 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:This team is going to be far better than last year.

4-8? or 5-7?
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:11 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:This team is going to be far better than last year. The QB switch should happen sooner rather than later.

You don’t think Morehead has “it”. EJ Manuel said he watched Morehead take reps over the summer and said he looked real good. Think it’s too soon to write him off.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:07 pm

Shut up hansen.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Manny on Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:22 pm

Which one of you did this?

Adam, hopeless Boston College fan: "'I mean, it’s BC. Is there ever any reason to believe we’ll be something other than 6-6 or 7-5? This is BC, for 15 years now: Our helmets are gold, half our tickets are sold, our fans are mostly old. But the beer will still be cold.'"

Whoever you are, stand up and take your bow.

https://theathletic.com/4819562/2023/08 ... edictions/
Manny
Carney Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Sep 02, 2023 2:54 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Shut up hansen.

Honestly, if Castellanos was the guy, he should’ve been the guy from the start. The whole first half switching between the quarterbacks was fucking stupid and cost us this game. I’m honestly speechless after watching the fucking game and I’m just gonna shut up. seriously can’t anymore with this team.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Sat Sep 02, 2023 4:56 pm

eagle33
Campion Hall

Re: 2023 BC Football after 2 games

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:41 pm

Defense:
Arnold and DePalma are very, very slow. Blackwell has some speed but makes up for it with lack of size. They really need Steele. Anyone know what is wrong with him? He looks fine (and much bigger). He is a little old for mono.
I actually like the DBs other than Pupel. He is very noticeably slower (live) than anyone else on the field. Really surprised how little Nelson is playing as I thought he looked good in the Spring Game.
Not really sure what to say about the DL except that it has been disappointing.

Offense:
The OL has been OK against inferior Ds. Mahogany had a terrible game against NIU.
Tackas killed us in the NIU game game. He didn't have a drop today. Thought the TEs would be a bigger part of the O this year. There have been very little 2 TE sets.
The RBs are mediocre at best. Gone are the days of AJD, Williams, Green, Cloud...
If we had good WRs, they would have stood out against the last two opponents. They didn't.
Moorehead was so bad last week. TC is athletic but never looks off his first target. He is also hard to like.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:50 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Defense:
Arnold and DePalma are very, very slow. Blackwell has some speed but makes up for it with lack of size. They really need Steele. Anyone know what is wrong with him? He looks fine (and much bigger). He is a little old for mono.
I actually like the DBs other than Pupel. He is very noticeably slower (live) than anyone else on the field. Really surprised how little Nelson is playing as I thought he looked good in the Spring Game.

Offense:
The OL has been OK against inferior Ds. Mahogany had a terrible game against NIU.
Tackas killed us in the NIU game game. He didn't have a drop today. Thought the TEs would be a bigger part of the O this year. There have been very little 2 TE sets.
The RBs are mediocre at best. Gone are the days of AJD, Williams, Green, Cloud...
If we had good WRs, they would have stood out against the last two opponents. They didn't.
Moorehead was so bad last week. TC is athletic but never looks off his first target. He is also hard to like.

Hot take of the year

Sylvia > Rositano > Pupil
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:51 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Offense:

Hot take of the year

Sylvia > Rositano > Pupil

well played
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:11 pm

Offense:

depalma is rocking the dad bod already & arnold put on way too much muscle and can't move.

ezeraku has been very silent considering opponents and the rumored offers he received this offseason
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

PreviousNext