What was the moment you knew Hafley wasn't the guy?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

What was the moment you knew Hafley wasn't the guy?

Postby durkcal on Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:06 pm

For me it was when the BC guys were excessively jawboning and courting trouble with f"ing Maine, right before half. And the interview starts with Hafley, and she asks Hafley about it, and instead of giving an answer like every successful coach in the business, he says with a smile "these refs need to throw some flags". That was it. Zero accountability or discipline. This is the Henning era. Henning, who by the way, was a very smart football guy from the NFL. Very likeable too. It's hard to be a successful football head coach. Very few are meant to be the guy in charge of such a demanding, precise and physical sport where 9 months of preparation gets displayed on twelve Saturdays.

Interested to hear the answers from everyone else.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Re: What was the moment you knew Hafley wasn't the guy?

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:27 pm

When he lost to Yukon.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:29 pm

Rutgers
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:26 pm

durkcal {l Wrote}:For me it was when the BC guys were excessively jawboning and courting trouble with f"ing Maine, right before half. And the interview starts with Hafley, and she asks Hafley about it, and instead of giving an answer like every successful coach in the business, he says with a smile "these refs need to throw some flags". That was it. Zero accountability or discipline. This is the Henning era. Henning, who by the way, was a very smart football guy from the NFL. Very likeable too. It's hard to be a successful football head coach. Very few are meant to be the guy in charge of such a demanding, precise and physical sport where 9 months of preparation gets displayed on twelve Saturdays.

Interested to hear the answers from everyone else.

i'd say this is more the tobias "we're up, aren't we" than dan "gambling scandal" henning

and i knew hafley wasn't the guy after getting punched in the dick by florida state and then smiling and joking in the next media availability. hell, that made murt so mad he banned hansen
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby JesuitIvy on Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:10 pm

Losing to Rutgers. How do you not have your team ready to rock, first game if season, against a regional opponent you know you should beat. The team lacked creativity and urgency the whole time, in what was a good Alumni atmosphere
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:05 pm

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:Losing to Rutgers. How do you not have your team ready to rock, first game if season, against a regional opponent you know you should beat. The team lacked creativity and urgency the whole time, in what was a good Alumni atmosphere

This was a complete shit show, but I know we have him for another year, so I am biting my tongue. I wanted him and I got him. The funny thing is that when I met Shiano and talked him about the BC job, I wanted Hafley.

I am hoping another year of offensive line development helps, but I HATE player's coaches with the exception of Jags. Give me the Coughlin/Saban/Belichick guys in college.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Logitano on Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:06 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:When he lost to Yukon.

The battle of the MOJ Alma Maters. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby Thornton Melon on Wed Oct 26, 2022 5:54 pm

The Hen lost me after Syracuse 04. But "We're up, aren't we" chapped me in ways that many years later I still remember how pissed i was when I saw it.

The halftime interview against Clemson this year when the reporter told us Hafley was happy with the performance because "he looked in their eyes" and then the entire team proceeded to crap down their legs the who second half...plus it just seems like all he wants to do is talk about how young they are rather than take any accountability - it's a lot like Aaron Boone with the Yankees - you give these guys the excuse, they will take it. I don't believe every coach has to be Bill Belichick, but Hafley doesn't seem to want to set a standard of play for his team. So the players take him up on it.
Thornton Melon
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:49 am

Thornton Melon {l Wrote}:The Hen lost me after Syracuse 04. But "We're up, aren't we" chapped me in ways that many years later I still remember how pissed i was when I saw it.

The halftime interview against Clemson this year when the reporter told us Hafley was happy with the performance because "he looked in their eyes" and then the entire team proceeded to crap down their legs the who second half...plus it just seems like all he wants to do is talk about how young they are rather than take any accountability - it's a lot like Aaron Boone with the Yankees - you give these guys the excuse, they will take it. I don't believe every coach has to be Bill Belichick, but Hafley doesn't seem to want to set a standard of play for his team. So the players take him up on it.

I largely agree... but I am willing to see what he does this offseason. It ain't like BC is firing him anytime in the next 2 years.

Football is unrelenting. To put it in terms IB will understand, it is like in Apollo 13 when they have a limited period of time to make corrections before physics prevents success. Once Hafley made his replacement hires on Offense, it was too late to really backtrack once it was clear they sucked (especially McNulty).

I would have like to see him hand over playcalling to Shimko or Chud by now... and Hafley not doing so during the bye week makes me believe that he is incapable of holding staffers accountable and coldly making moves for the betterment of the team. That said, in fairness, the time to make such architectural decisions is in the offseason... not October. Unless you think you have the answer on your staff, you kinda have to employ Bobby Knight's advice and just "relax and enjoy it."

Hafley has had a charmed career. He's been constantly supported and lauded at every turn. This year is essentially the first where he has run into real adversity. If he learns from it, he can continue to advance. If he redoubles on failed decisions, he's bound to continue to eerily follow his predecessor's career path.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:54 am

Looking back the Texas St game was a big red flag.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:22 am

Bump.

You don’t lose to Rutgers and Yukon in the same year and continue to pretend like you should be a football coach.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby durkcal on Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:42 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Thornton Melon {l Wrote}:The Hen lost me after Syracuse 04. But "We're up, aren't we" chapped me in ways that many years later I still remember how pissed i was when I saw it.

I largely agree... but I am willing to see what he does this offseason. It ain't like BC is firing him anytime in the next 2 years.

Football is unrelenting. To put it in terms IB will understand, it is like in Apollo 13 when they have a limited period of time to make corrections before physics prevents success. Once Hafley made his replacement hires on Offense, it was too late to really backtrack once it was clear they sucked (especially McNulty).

I would have like to see him hand over playcalling to Shimko or Chud by now... and Hafley not doing so during the bye week makes me believe that he is incapable of holding staffers accountable and coldly making moves for the betterment of the team. That said, in fairness, the time to make such architectural decisions is in the offseason... not October. Unless you think you have the answer on your staff, you kinda have to employ Bobby Knight's advice and just "relax and enjoy it."

Hafley has had a charmed career. He's been constantly supported and lauded at every turn. This year is essentially the first where he has run into real adversity. If he learns from it, he can continue to advance. If he redoubles on failed decisions, he's bound to continue to eerily follow his predecessor's career path.

I respect the optimism, but he's the problem. He could have hired the best football assistants on God's green Earth, and we'd be mediocre. Every football team in America without mental discipline and accountability wins fewer games than they should. Why would a perfectionist, demanding and detail oriented assistant come to work for Hafley? 80% of the coordinators and assistants out there are nomads. Most of them have enjoyed a lot of failure. The very few good ones know, nah, this guy ain't it. He's running Club Med here. Not attaching my resume to his.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:32 pm

Today.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:33 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:Today.

May be today as well for me too. Waiting until the presser to make my final decision.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:34 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

Bump.

You don’t lose to Rutgers and Yukon in the same year and continue to pretend like you should be a football coach.

Christ, I almost drove to Hartford to go to this game. Maybe i should stop pretending being a football fan
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:35 pm

I just feel bad for any BC alums that went to the game. I can't imagine how silent the car ride back is, I genuinely feel for 'em.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:48 pm

I don’t think they will fire him
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby bcshater on Sat Oct 29, 2022 2:54 pm

Today as well.
Yes I am a BC fan. Proof of this is my dog's name is Baldwin.
bcshater
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:03 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Waiting until the presser to make my final decision.

HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:05 pm

bcshater {l Wrote}:

Today as well.

I think, for the first time, it's understandable that you shat on BC
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:23 pm

Good for BC having Haz do the postgame interview via 3G connection. Sounds like he is going to do tomorrow what he was supposed to do over the bye week. McNulty just called his last game as OC.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:35 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Good for BC having Haz do the postgame interview via 3G connection. Sounds like he is going to do tomorrow what he was supposed to do over the bye week. McNulty just called his last game as OC.

Inshallah
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby tallsy on Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:02 am

Quitting before the bowl game last year.

He confused working smart with cutting corners.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:19 am

The 4th quarter of the Rutgers game was like the Bear Stearns crash scene in the Big Short for me. Amazing how quickly it went from optimism to the floor. The door was ajar (barely) until today.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:03 am

I kinda wonder if this would’ve happened in Year 3 of Jags. You bring in a players coach who replaced an authoritarian and there is an immediate improvement in play from the upperclassmen. But, then comes the complete lack of discipline from the rising underclassmen who feel they can just get away with shit because their BFF head coach will cover their ass. In the poll I created, it wasn’t a mistake that I chose 3 aloof hardasses as potential replacements.

For the record, I don’t hate Haz the way I hated Spaz and Daz. He’s drowning and it is sad to watch. The D plays well. That’s probably because Lukabu has some sort of organization. If Haz wanted to be Jags and walk around in a leather jacket and hang in the Mods, he needed a drill sergeant who could independently handle all aspects of the offense (ala Logan).

After we lose to Duke/NCS/ND/Cuse, Haz will be 4-16 over his last 20 games.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:34 am

I'm reluctantly okay with the Haz schtick.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:12 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

I believe this is the correct take. I am largely willing to give leeway this year 1) because he actually has the number of injuries Daz always claimed to have (we are playing back ups to back ups on the offensive line) and 2) he is a first time head coach.

As MoJ has correctly pointed out if he doubles down on the bad decisions he’s made, we are finished and can enjoy our apple picking for two years before they finally make a change. If he holds himself accountable this off-season, fires McNulty, Guge, and whoever the S&C coach is, and actually works the portal then that is a different story*.

*doing these things and doing them successfully are two different things. If he does it and we’re still a shit show then see the apple picking above.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:42 am

He is now #15 in hot seat ranking

https://coacheshotseat.com/

I suspect that when they update this sometime today or tomorrow, he will be in the top ten.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby LawyersGunsnMoney on Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:07 pm

Remember when people were happy Matt Applebaum left to be the OL coach for Miami. Pepperidge Farm remembers.
LawyersGunsnMoney
McGuinn Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:48 am

The beginning of the season.

Hafley might be Spaz-level bad. Although I was high on Hafley when we hired him, I worry he is Bob Diaco with a better media presence.

Addazio deserved to be fired but he inherited a much worse situation than Hafley and got BC to consistent 6-7 wins each year. I don’t see Hafley ever getting even 7 wins based on what I’ve seen from him.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium