2022 Boston College Football

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2022 Boston College Football

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:42 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Serious question, at what point are the absurd amount of injuries (and not just this season) on Hafley?

I can’t go this far. It’s not like they’re all hamstring injuries.

Mahogany ruined his 1st Round selection shooting hoops at home in NJ while on break. Not sure how that’s on the staff. Broken bones during a game isn’t coachable either. When shit goes bad, you want to blame everything on the coach. But, there is no need to make shit up when you have the McNulty hire, lack of OL transfers into the program and Shinkovec’s continued playing time… all just sitting there as obvious areas of critique.

The coaching has been poor to mediocre, but it hasn't been a 2-10 coaching job. I think it's really hard to evaluate McNulty with this OL.

Why must we evaluate McNulty. Like what awesome career path did he take that demands a benefit of the doubt. He washed out TWICE at Rutgers. Chris Ash (the other tOSU defensive coordinator who was accelerated to head coach) would probably blame his termination on him. But, he was a TE coach at ND... which clearly still carries significant weight at Backup College. You give DeGuglielmo a second chance... not McNulty.

Nothing pisses me off more than a college coordinator who refuses to adjust to the players he has. College is a steady stream of new kids in and out of the program. The job of the coordinator is to come up with a scheme that maximizes the hand you are dealt. It is what made HCRD so good at BC and what made Todd Fitch a trainwreck. McNulty knew going in that he had no OL... he knew going in that he had great WRs and RBs... he knew going in that he had a not-smart QB who had a history of scrambling, occasionally making throws and then getting hurt. The last offense you would put in is the one we deployed... slow-developing plays... between the tackles... double-move patterns... QB reliance on reading coverage. It is a 1990s offense that would be difficult to deploy if every OL returned from last year's team.

McNulty is undoubtedly under contract for another season. But, he needs to be demoted to TE/Special Teams Coordinator... and Matt Thurin can finally start his career as an insurance salesman. As a replacement, Hafley would be wise to bring in someone born after the Nixon administration.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:01 am

HJS {l Wrote}:...It is what made HCRD so good at BC ...

ummm, what? are you referring to that one time he called a fake fg for billy flutie to almost fuck up or are you referring to the way he waved his arms on the sidelines like those dudes that help maverick land safely on the air craft carrier to allow for future homoerotic volleyball games? both of those things are all well and good, but to call him "so good at bc" is like calling a nospace post "so deep and provacative"
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:08 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Serious question, at what point are the absurd amount of injuries (and not just this season) on Hafley?

Mahogany ruined his 1st Round selection shooting hoops at home in NJ while on break. Not sure how that’s on the staff. Broken bones during a game isn’t coachable either. When shit goes bad, you want to blame everything on the coach. But, there is no need to make shit up when you have the McNulty hire, lack of OL transfers into the program and Shinkovec’s continued playing time… all just sitting there as obvious areas of critique.

The coaching has been poor to mediocre, but it hasn't been a 2-10 coaching job. I think it's really hard to evaluate McNulty with this OL.

Why must we evaluate McNulty. Like what awesome career path did he take that demands a benefit of the doubt. He washed out TWICE at Rutgers. Chris Ash (the other tOSU defensive coordinator who was accelerated to head coach) would probably blame his termination on him. But, he was a TE coach at ND... which clearly still carries significant weight at Backup College. You give DeGuglielmo a second chance... not McNulty.

Nothing pisses me off more than a college coordinator who refuses to adjust to the players he has. College is a steady stream of new kids in and out of the program. The job of the coordinator is to come up with a scheme that maximizes the hand you are dealt. It is what made HCRD so good at BC and what made Todd Fitch a trainwreck. McNulty knew going in that he had no OL... he knew going in that he had great WRs and RBs... he knew going in that he had a not-smart QB who had a history of scrambling, occasionally making throws and then getting hurt. The last offense you would put in is the one we deployed... slow-developing plays... between the tackles... double-move patterns... QB reliance on reading coverage. It is a 1990s offense that would be difficult to deploy if every OL returned from last year's team.

McNulty is undoubtedly under contract for another season. But, he needs to be demoted to TE/Special Teams Coordinator... and Matt Thurin can finally start his career as an insurance salesman. As a replacement, Hafley would be wise to bring in someone born after the Nixon administration.

Where we differ is that no offensive game-plan or system in the world is going to work behind this OL. There's DL in the backfield after literally 1 second.

Even the read-option/RPO the Dolphins did last year with a horrible OL wouldn't work when the guards and center literally just whiff blocks every play.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:10 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

ummm, what? are you referring to that one time he called a fake fg for billy flutie to almost fuck up or are you referring to the way he waved his arms on the sidelines like those dudes that help maverick land safely on the air craft carrier to allow for future homoerotic volleyball games? both of those things are all well and good, but to call him "so good at bc" is like calling a nospace post "so deep and provacative"

HCRD had really good offenses in '13 and '14 at BC with some really limited talent. He was a really good OC based on his ability to best utilize the talent. He also wasn't saddled with a completely unworkable OL.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:16 am

two 7-6 years. ever to mediocre!!!

it's amazing he found a way to win 7 with a shitty ass backfield featuring andre williams
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:05 am

we are ranked 103. our next opponent is 109. i wouldn't be surprised if hafliani loses on the road in this evenly matched game.

https://masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:35 am

if we lose to yukon are we kicked OUT of the acc and yukon takes our place?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:36 am

eagle33 {l Wrote}:we are ranked 103. our next opponent is 109. i wouldn't be surprised if hafliani loses on the road in this evenly matched game.

this is a terrible post that you should feel terrible about.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:51 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Going back to HJS's thought that broken bones during a game aren't coachable. I had always thought broken bones were merely collision injuries rather than indicators of poor conditioning. In fact do we see more broken bones when there's not enough muscle to bear the load in facing a stronger, violent opponent?

This piece from Harvard Medical School, while focused on osteoporosis, emphasizes on the link between strength training and bone density and seems like it can be extrapolated to relative risk of fractures for football players:

Most of us know that strength training (with free weights, weight machines, or resistance bands) can help build and maintain muscle mass and strength. What many of us don't know is that strong muscles lead to strong bones. And strong bones can help minimize the risk of fracture due to osteoporosis.
..... strength training, in particular, has bone benefits beyond those offered by aerobic weight-bearing exercise. It targets bones of the hips, spine, and wrists, which are the sites most likely to fracture.

This article is from back in 2009, but it connects bone strength to resistance training:

Playing football means high impact - to compete on the gridiron is more than a matter of muscle; it also demands strong, healthy, dense bones. But as a football player, you may have a higher risk of broken bones or stress fractures. Weight-bearing exercise and resistance training are excellent ways to help strengthen your bones. Proper nutrition, including vitamin and mineral intake, as well as consumption of adequate calories, also helps reduce the risk of bone loss, stress fractures, and breaks.
a key strategy for helping to ensure a lifetime of strong bones is to maximize bone mineral density during the adolescent growth spurt and in early adulthood by encouraging regular participation in a variety of physical activities and sports.

Many of us feel this team is not just inexperienced on the O-Line, and not just suffering from bad offensive schemes. We feel this team is flat-out soft. I wonder then if the injuries are not just an excuse but an indicator of broader problems in managing the program.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby eagle33 on Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:06 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:we are ranked 103. our next opponent is 109. i wouldn't be surprised if hafliani loses on the road in this evenly matched game.

the only reason i feel bad about it is because it's true.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:24 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

HCRD had really good offenses in '13 and '14 at BC with some really limited talent. He was a really good OC based on his ability to best utilize the talent. He also wasn't saddled with a completely unworkable OL.

I was always in the minority with regard to HCRD when he was our OC. I thought it was impressive how he remade the offense from Chase Rettig and Andre Williams to Tyler Murphy and 3-headed RB tandem.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:57 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:two 7-6 years. ever to mediocre!!!

it's amazing he found a way to win 7 with a shitty ass backfield featuring andre williams

Andre Williams would've never had that kind of success without Day. He wasn't good for years before Day showed up.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:19 pm

but wasn't the age old yarn of him leaving bc that his departure was because t.s. slaughter would not let him call plays or design the offense?

t.s. was the crack the rock guy. andre and murphy were effective at cracking the rock. does the hindsight version of the super dynamic stbosuhcrd ignore all of these old versions of stories and make him out to be the one responsible for cracking the rock and that instead he instead left for... reasons unrelated to his lack of control/authority
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:05 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:but wasn't the age old yarn of him leaving bc that his departure was because t.s. slaughter would not let him call plays or design the offense?

t.s. was the crack the rock guy. andre and murphy were effective at cracking the rock. does the hindsight version of the super dynamic stbosuhcrd ignore all of these old versions of stories and make him out to be the one responsible for cracking the rock and that instead he instead left for... reasons unrelated to his lack of control/authority

I thought that he left BC because they were forcing him to unlaminate his resume.

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:22 pm

OCs_Inner_Eagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Going back to HJS's thought that broken bones during a game aren't coachable. I had always thought broken bones were merely collision injuries rather than indicators of poor conditioning. In fact do we see more broken bones when there's not enough muscle to bear the load in facing a stronger, violent opponent?

This piece from Harvard Medical School, while focused on osteoporosis, emphasizes on the link between strength training and bone density and seems like it can be extrapolated to relative risk of fractures for football players:

Most of us know that strength training (with free weights, weight machines, or resistance bands) can help build and maintain muscle mass and strength. What many of us don't know is that strong muscles lead to strong bones. And strong bones can help minimize the risk of fracture due to osteoporosis.
..... strength training, in particular, has bone benefits beyond those offered by aerobic weight-bearing exercise. It targets bones of the hips, spine, and wrists, which are the sites most likely to fracture.

This article is from back in 2009, but it connects bone strength to resistance training:

Playing football means high impact - to compete on the gridiron is more than a matter of muscle; it also demands strong, healthy, dense bones. But as a football player, you may have a higher risk of broken bones or stress fractures. Weight-bearing exercise and resistance training are excellent ways to help strengthen your bones. Proper nutrition, including vitamin and mineral intake, as well as consumption of adequate calories, also helps reduce the risk of bone loss, stress fractures, and breaks.
a key strategy for helping to ensure a lifetime of strong bones is to maximize bone mineral density during the adolescent growth spurt and in early adulthood by encouraging regular participation in a variety of physical activities and sports.

Many of us feel this team is not just inexperienced on the O-Line, and not just suffering from bad offensive schemes. We feel this team is flat-out soft. I wonder then if the injuries are not just an excuse but an indicator of broader problems in managing the program.

"Many of us" and "we feel"? I see we are now counting multiple personalities as separate people. I assume this is from the Democrat vote harvesting playbook.

Citing to those articles is ridiculous unless you believe that those 300-pound athletes have never weight trained. They were what... popped out of the womb that way? That scary visual may account for hansen's life choices.

Those articles (one of which is literally meant for high school kids) have no relationship to elite athletes. For elite athletes, the concern is working out too much as it creates stress on joints and bones. To further the point, steroid use has a known history of weakening bone density. So... if you (plural) are looking for a way to blame the coaches for injuries, the likeliest source is permitting steroid use (but that would cut against the added desire to claim that the team is "soft").
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:45 am

HJS {l Wrote}:... That scary visual may account for hansen's life choices...

i laughed
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:52 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
OCs_Inner_Eagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

"Many of us" and "we feel"? I see we are now counting multiple personalities as separate people. I assume this is from the Democrat vote harvesting playbook.

Citing to those articles is ridiculous unless you believe that those 300-pound athletes have never weight trained. They were what... popped out of the womb that way? That scary visual may account for hansen's life choices.

Those articles (one of which is literally meant for high school kids) have no relationship to elite athletes. For elite athletes, the concern is working out too much as it creates stress on joints and bones. To further the point, steroid use has a known history of weakening bone density. So... if you (plural) are looking for a way to blame the coaches for injuries, the likeliest source is permitting steroid use (but that would cut against the added desire to claim that the team is "soft").

Ouch :) !!! Point taken. There are some people who think the team seems soft, including myself (just myself, not my retired alter-ego). But I apologize for implying that you think so. Poor word choice on my part.

Of course I'm a fan and have never been anywhere near an elite athlete. Nor am I versed in human physiology and exercise science. I just like to share pieces I find and see if they might be extrapolated to understand the team. What formed my impression on S&C was the difference in Coughlin's teams vs. immediately before his arrival. They most certainly did a ton of conditioning work relative to before, and it seemed to produce a foundation for success. Whether it was too much and in fact abusive, I don't know. You all who played can attest to that.

Using Coughlin's S&C program as the model may be quite outdated. So what is the ideal, and did the team achieve it. They could have worked really hard, but maybe were not directed well. Maybe they did not train enough for pure power and endurance in the trenches. Or maybe they're just too inexperienced and small. I just hope things get fixed, first the core issues whatever those are.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby eagle33 on Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:15 am

eagle33 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

the only reason i feel bad about it is because it's true.

now down to 111, uconn up to 107. still ahead of umass who is at 131.

eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:39 am

HJS {l Wrote}:"Many of us" and "we feel"? I see we are now counting multiple personalities as separate people. I assume this is from the Democrat vote harvesting playbook.

I really can't keep track of all these sock puppets. I really wish you guys would be man enough to shit can all your socks and post under just one name, even if it means that it is just me here and one other person.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:36 pm

Hafley acknowledged a fight in today's presser.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:55 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Hafley acknowledged a fight in today's presser.

for those of us that couldn't be bothered to watch all of that dreck - was the fight with civilian students (as rumored on the tubanet), with each other, among the coaches (so we know that someone's privacy needs to be respected), etc.

i want more, but only that portion of the press conference more. i have no interest in his other lies, damn lies, and statistics
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:16 pm

bc must have struck that and trevor's question about his future at BC from the video :pepper2

@TrevorHass
I asked Jeff Hafley if he's had any conversations about his future at BC.

Hafley: "I’ve had great conversations about my future at BC."

I then asked: "Are you confident your job is safe at the moment?"

"I feel very confident, yes. Very confident."

-
he looks sad so i imagine tre won't ban me :bringit
Last edited by claver2010 on Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:16 pm

Did BC Athletics edit this portion out? OMG if they did that would be a new low

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:28 pm

He acknowledge a fight... but doesn't acknowledge God in today's presser. Just saying...
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:40 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:... he looks sad so i imagine tre won't ban me :bringit

murt threw down the pelosi hammer on hansen - i had nothing to do with that as i interpreted that he was not smiling

and who is shocked that woke ass bc is striking things from interviews that makes them look bad. it's the woke ass way
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:50 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:... he looks sad so i imagine tre won't ban me :bringit

murt threw down the pelosi hammer on hansen - i had nothing to do with that as i interpreted that he was not smiling

and who is shocked that woke ass bc is striking things from interviews that makes them look bad. it's the woke ass way

I look at it as a show of support for Coach Hafley, and it's well deserved.

It’s always darkest before the dawn.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:55 pm

would support from bc show better if they left in that he felt strong and good about his future at bc and confident about his job?

i think your love of fetterman has caused you a stroke by association
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:59 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

bc must have struck that and trevor's question about his future at BC from the video :pepper2

@TrevorHass
I asked Jeff Hafley if he's had any conversations about his future at BC.

Hafley: "I’ve had great conversations about my future at BC."

I then asked: "Are you confident your job is safe at the moment?"

"I feel very confident, yes. Very confident."

-
he looks sad so i imagine tre won't ban me :bringit

The question about his future can be found here at 0:54. Not sure how to embed video from Twitter here.

https://twitter.com/kstone06/status/158 ... zxS4q0HoFA

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle33 on Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:44 pm

eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby the old guy on Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:50 pm

The team is crawling to the end of worst season in last 40 years. We just lost to a UCONN team that could not beat Ball State.We couldn't beat Tech who lost to Old Dominion. It is easy to blame the QB , but all season he has been running for his life because the worst OLine in BC football history can't protect him. Despite having one of the best wide receivers in the country and an outstanding running back, we can't score. The defense, Hafley's specialty, just can't play 4 quarters of football.

For the past 3 years we have been so optimistic about the outstanding recruiting classes, supposedly among the best classes ever. If they are so good, why aren't we winning? It all comes down to coaching. The entire crew should be ashamed of what they have created. We shouldn't be talking about when they are going be fired . . . we should be awaiting their resignations! Coac Flores, who did an outstanding job with the Dolphins, can fix this.
the old guy
n00b

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium