Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. Florida State - 11/20/2021

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. Florida State - 11/20/2021

Postby innocentbystander on Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:41 pm

I really do not know why everyone is acting so surprised about this season. Addazio's best two seasons as HC at BC, were his first two seasons, the two seasons he was still playing Spaz's players. These 2021 players are (for the most part) still Addazio's players. Coach meathead's players can't play ACC football, we all know that. 6-6 or 7-5, that is the maximum of their ability. Next year will pretty much be all Hafley's players, but not this year.

Hafley got a pass last year. He will only get a partial pass this year. 2021, okay I'm concerned but not surprised. Repeat this season for a 3rd time, and I'll be pissed. But as of right now, I'm not surprised. These are not good players.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:26 pm

LawyersGunsnMoney {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:It is a well known fact that as a group, the Irish are a self-loathing group. Same for the Poles/Catholic Slavic types. And deep down inside, the Italians know that everything Dennis Hopper said about them in True Romance and everything Sean Connery said about them in The Untouchables is true. Given those DNA strands comprise probably 85% of the student body, this shitty, gutless, poorly lead rabble is the perfect team for BC students and alums to root for and this cock punch of a game was BC football most in touch with its true self.

You have to really, really hate yourself on some level to root for this program and to keep watching year after year when you know it will end in loss and despair. Apple picking or taking a walk in the woods are far healthier and life affirming and yet, here we all are, marinating in the misery of another loss and the waste of a perfectly good four hours that could have been spent on something much better. So God bless the lot of you self-hating donkeys, bucket heads and greaseballs. I dedicate this next large tumbler of soul-dulling Rabbit Hole Bourbon to each and everyone of you miserable sons of bitches. Fuck all of you, in all sincerity.

As a dirty hun, it fills me with pride to know that this team and its followers surrender at the first sign of adversity. Keep praying to your god as we ravage your weak, stupid coaches. Thank you and good bye

BC is a B+ school, we never excel at anything and have our peaks and balances but our peaks are rarely as high as our valleys. I would assume the entire alumni and student base is the same type of mediocre loser. We should pray to Salieri the patron saint of mediocrity.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby lnnocent Bystander on Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:17 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
LawyersGunsnMoney {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:It is a well known fact that as a group, the Irish are a self-loathing group. Same for the Poles/Catholic Slavic types. And deep down inside, the Italians know that everything Dennis Hopper said about them in True Romance and everything Sean Connery said about them in The Untouchables is true. Given those DNA strands comprise probably 85% of the student body, this shitty, gutless, poorly lead rabble is the perfect team for BC students and alums to root for and this cock punch of a game was BC football most in touch with its true self.

You have to really, really hate yourself on some level to root for this program and to keep watching year after year when you know it will end in loss and despair. Apple picking or taking a walk in the woods are far healthier and life affirming and yet, here we all are, marinating in the misery of another loss and the waste of a perfectly good four hours that could have been spent on something much better. So God bless the lot of you self-hating donkeys, bucket heads and greaseballs. I dedicate this next large tumbler of soul-dulling Rabbit Hole Bourbon to each and everyone of you miserable sons of bitches. Fuck all of you, in all sincerity.

As a dirty hun, it fills me with pride to know that this team and its followers surrender at the first sign of adversity. Keep praying to your god as we ravage your weak, stupid coaches. Thank you and good bye

BC is a B+ school, we never excel at anything and have our peaks and balances but our peaks are rarely as high as our valleys. I would assume the entire alumni and student base is the same type of mediocre loser. We should pray to Salieri the patron saint of mediocrity.

BC is unique in American higher education in that it is a top 30 national university but it is only the fourth best institution in its own hometown.
Feminism is Eve eats all the apples, gives God the middle finger when He asks her about it, and has the snake present Adam with a restraining order, ordering him to stay 500 yards away while still being forced to provide Eve food, clothing, and shelter.
lnnocent Bystander
Carney Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:36 pm

I don’t think there’s ever been a worse 3rd and short or 4th and short playcaller than Frank Cignetti.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:50 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:I don’t think there’s ever been a worse 3rd and short or 4th and short playcaller than Frank Cignetti.

This.. WTF
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby tallsy on Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:15 pm

Silver lining. ACC will be desperate for BC to win next week to get NC State in the ACC Championship Game.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:36 pm

FSU’s defensive line has a couple of first round picks. They caused BC a lot of problems today. Hafley made a huge mistake by not taking the FG at the FSU 8 yard line in the first half. You always take the points in the first half. PJ is not 100%. He short hopped several passes. Again this week they did get things figured out and ended the game on a 20-0 run. Last week they ended the game on a 34-9 run. These are glimpses of where this program will be in a couple of years.

I agree that these are mostly Daz’s recruits. The D is decimated by injuries, yet they adjusted and got stops. Frustrating to lose these games, but this is only year 2 under Hafley. The recruiting is going very well for the next two years. Daz gutted this program, especially on D. Hafley is building a top 10 defensive team. TOB was 8-14 his first two years. TC was 12-10-1.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:03 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:FSU’s defensive line has a couple of first round picks. They caused BC a lot of problems today. Hafley made a huge mistake by not taking the FG at the FSU 8 yard line in the first half. You always take the points in the first half. PJ is not 100%. He short hopped several passes. Again this week they did get things figured out and ended the game on a 20-0 run. Last week they ended the game on a 34-9 run. These are glimpses of where this program will be in a couple of years.

I agree that these are mostly Daz’s recruits. The D is decimated by injuries, yet they adjusted and got stops. Frustrating to lose these games, but this is only year 2 under Hafley. The recruiting is going very well for the next two years. Daz gutted this program, especially on D. Hafley is building a top 10 defensive team. TOB was 8-14 his first two years. TC was 12-10-1.

Go Eagles!

Yeah, but TC inherited a 1-10 team and in his first year played a schedule that included #2 ranked Michigan, #17 Georgia Tech, #10 Penn State, #12 Syracuse and #1 Miami, to go along with a Rutgers, Pittsburg and West Virginia teams that made bowl games. Miami and Penn State both came down to the last play of the game and BC finished 4-7. Hafley is nowhere near Coughlin’s level of performance. A comparison to The Supply Officer may be appropriate which should depress everyone. And Jagz was a better coach than either The Hen or Hafley.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:13 am

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:10 am

Jurk pulled a Grosel and refused to throw to wide-open receivers. He instead chose to throw late to covered ones. He never threw on rhythm. He essentially made every play a broken one. The last two offensive plays were a microcosm of Jurk’s entire day. I look forward to Dick starting a Jurk Watch thread this April talking about ND’s reaction to Jurk being drafted two picks higher in the 4th round than Ian Book.

Our OLine is awful and you can thank HCJH for that. In a day they honored the tradition of OLine U (which was a pretty cool idea), it was a reminder how they were all coached by elite OL Coaches. We are in Year 2 of a Yukon outcast still trying to learn on the job. I get Hafley is loyal and doesn’t want to hurt the career of someone on his staff… then reallocated to something like Special Teams. OL is too important.

This is a terrible loss and a reminder that BC wouldn’t have won all four of Grosel’s losses. That said, this isn’t the same FSU team from the start of the season. They took a boatload of high end Portal Transfers and it took time for them to assimilate. Their QB is settling in nicely and should be excellent next year. Norvell is still terrible at coaching.

I tend not to bitch about play calling. But, it shouldn’t have taken until halftime to realize they needed to leave someone in to help on 11. And, that read option on 2nd down on our final series was the worst call of the day. Hafley’s game management overthinks was shades of Addazio.

All around… another horrible home performance on a beautiful day in front of a surprisingly continue-to-be robust crowd.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:00 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:FSU’s defensive line has a couple of first round picks. They caused BC a lot of problems today. Hafley made a huge mistake by not taking the FG at the FSU 8 yard line in the first half. You always take the points in the first half. PJ is not 100%. He short hopped several passes. Again this week they did get things figured out and ended the game on a 20-0 run. Last week they ended the game on a 34-9 run. These are glimpses of where this program will be in a couple of years.

Go Eagles!

This is a good post.
FSU #4 just abused our OTs.
Wonder what happened to Phil. He wasn't drilling the ball into the ground last week.
Why don't we ever get the FSU team that loses to Jax State?
How many times did the FSU WRs not have a BC defender within 10yards?
The 1st half and 2nd were two different games. It is nice to have a coaching staff that can make half time adjustments. That said, there were a lot of bad calls and decisions yesterday.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:37 pm

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:41 pm

Jags was a terrible coach. He just rode Matt Ryan and the rest of TOB’s players.

I loved TC, but he had a healthy Glenn Foley and inherited a team that was a passing first offense. They were I believe 4-7 the year before, definitely not 1-10. Hafley inherited a power running team and luckily got PJ. I’m certainly not saying that JH is as good as TC, but he is definitely the best coach since TC. TOB was solid, but he rarely stretched the field. Hafley gets that in order to win the ACC you need to stretch the field. I also believe that JH will build a top ten defense that gets after the QB. TOB played bend but do not break too much. TC had an excellent DC in Steve Szabo (who should have been promoted to HC) who was one of the first DC’s to stack the box with an 8 man front.

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:47 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Jags was a terrible coach. He just rode Matt Ryan and the rest of TOB’s players.

I loved TC, but he had a healthy Glenn Foley and inherited a team that was a passing first offense. They were I believe 4-7 the year before, definitely not 1-10. Hafley inherited a power running team and luckily got PJ. I’m certainly not saying that JH is as good as TC, but he is definitely the best coach since TC. TOB was solid, but he rarely stretched the field. Hafley gets that in order to win the ACC you need to stretch the field. I also believe that JH will build a top ten defense that gets after the QB. TOB played bend but do not break too much. TC had an excellent DC in Steve Szabo (who should have been promoted to HC) who was one of the first DC’s to stack the box with an 8 man front.

Go Eagles!

You're fucking stupid.

Go Eagles.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:04 pm

I for one believe coaches should not play their best players so they can prove how good of coaches they are. More coaches should be like TOB in that way.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:16 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Jags was a terrible coach. He just rode Matt Ryan and the rest of TOB’s players.

Go Eagles!

You're fucking stupid.

Go Eagles.

makes me wonder if hansen has been pulling the strings behind the eaglekeeper name all these corner filling years
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:27 am

Go Eagles!

Jags was a good coach with an incredibly stacked roster in his rookie year. He stepped it up, accomplished things with those players that toby couldn't. Yes it was mostly (almost entirely) Ryan, but that doesn't make Jags terrible. Jags was just stupid to do what GDF told him not to do.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:56 am

jags was a good coach in that he hired assistants and coordinators that knew how to do their job. without logan and his guitar and his zinfandel, matt ryan's senior year would have looked much different - and not in a good way.

jags was a good face of the program as long as they didn't catch his face after the witching hour. he gave good sound bytes, knew how to respond to the media, and stayed the fuck out of the way of the real men behind the curtain making the whole show work. jags also inherited a handful of future sunday starters. but jags wasn't happy with success at the most ignored p5 program in the country and his reading of his own press clippings that touted him as the success behind matt's last year and crane's year ruined him. sure, head-coach-search-consultant gdf's fragile ego helped matters, but jags was never a serious consideration for a head coaching job at the next level... not after a mere 2 year blip in some down acc years.

halfie could succeed in the same model if he gets assistants and coordinators that actually know what they are doing. in spite of his refusals to fellate jebus when he rocks the mic, he does well with the press and comes off considerably more affable than the gym coach or the mad scientist or the supply officer. he just needs the x and o guys that can actually make the sausage. on offense, we clearly do not have that sausage maker - in fact, is seems the only experience with sausage on the offensive side of the ball is analogous to some tripod dane that hangs out on the beaches of rhode island nibbling on the sausage of dodge stratus drivers. on defense, i think we're much closer, but we're still far.

at 42, halfie is still young and has the potential to be something more than a middling coach for an afterthought program... hopefully he starts making the moves that will get him there as opposed to the moves that will get him to colorado state or new mexico state. i'm not so certain he's going to get there, but for the program i'm hoping that he does.

lastly, i was triggered at seeing tobias on the field on saturday. please tell me that if he was introduced that he received as rousing a round of boos as all those aluminum dressed fans could muster
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:14 am

Just my observations of the game:
1. I think Jurk was hurting in the first half after a hit where they hit him high and low and he came down hard on his back. He short hopped a few throws thereafter.
2. Didn't stay for second half as my 3 YO grandson was too cold; but in first half the OL was a sieve; they couldn't do a damn thing about the two FSU guys off the edges, but the OL was manhandled up the center too. It really exposed the OL; they were not what was advertised coming in to this season.
3. Hafley has really handed the reigns lock stock and barrel to Cignetti on offense, probably due to his own inexperience, and Cignetti proves himself time and again as one who ain't too creative, particularly when things clearly ain't working. An innovator he ain't.

After what I saw Saturday, they will have a very difficult task beating Wake, and we end up at a very familiar 6-6.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:14 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:jags was a good coach in that he hired assistants and coordinators that knew how to do their job. without logan and his guitar and his zinfandel, matt ryan's senior year would have looked much different - and not in a good way.

jags was a good face of the program as long as they didn't catch his face after the witching hour. he gave good sound bytes, knew how to respond to the media, and stayed the fuck out of the way of the real men behind the curtain making the whole show work. jags also inherited a handful of future sunday starters. but jags wasn't happy with success at the most ignored p5 program in the country and his reading of his own press clippings that touted him as the success behind matt's last year and crane's year ruined him. sure, head-coach-search-consultant gdf's fragile ego helped matters, but jags was never a serious consideration for a head coaching job at the next level... not after a mere 2 year blip in some down acc years.

halfie could succeed in the same model if he gets assistants and coordinators that actually know what they are doing. in spite of his refusals to fellate jebus when he rocks the mic, he does well with the press and comes off considerably more affable than the gym coach or the mad scientist or the supply officer. he just needs the x and o guys that can actually make the sausage. on offense, we clearly do not have that sausage maker - in fact, is seems the only experience with sausage on the offensive side of the ball is analogous to some tripod dane that hangs out on the beaches of rhode island nibbling on the sausage of dodge stratus drivers. on defense, i think we're much closer, but we're still far.

at 42, halfie is still young and has the potential to be something more than a middling coach for an afterthought program... hopefully he starts making the moves that will get him there as opposed to the moves that will get him to colorado state or new mexico state. i'm not so certain he's going to get there, but for the program i'm hoping that he does.

lastly, i was triggered at seeing tobias on the field on saturday. please tell me that if he was introduced that he received as rousing a round of boos as all those aluminum dressed fans could muster

agree
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:23 am

i know glass phil is a funny nickname but he got consistently destroyed on saturday and didn't miss a snap

i think it's time for applebaum to take the nfl job he was offered
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy