Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. NC State - 10/16/2021

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. NC State - 10/16/2021

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:49 pm

Jake Byczko played for the first time last night and played a lot.
Did Donovan Ezeiruaku play?
Saw Vrabel in the Eagle Walk and he looked fine, walking without a limp. His father was at the game.
Speaking of the Eagle Walk which I saw for the first time, it is great. JH walks with one of his daughters. The players really look sharp.
How can the reporters not ask JH about the penalties?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:05 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Jake Byczko played for the first time last night and played a lot.
Did Donovan Ezeiruaku play?
Saw Vrabel in the Eagle Walk and he looked fine, walking without a limp. His father was at the game.
Speaking of the Eagle Walk which I saw for the first time, it is great. JH walks with one of his daughters. The players really look sharp.
How can the reporters not ask JH about the penalties?

I’m fairly certain that i saw Ezeiruaku out there.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:42 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Not sure what you expected the playcalling to be. After the first few series there were 9 in the box. They had to throw downfield it was what was open.

NC State made second half adjustments; Bc didn’t.

I thought our first half game plan was good. Slants, get Zay touches on short throws allowing him to make plays, try to establish the run. Second half was a shitshow where we kept thing to run Garwo into a wall of Nc State defenders followed by letting Sinkfield try to get yardage doing the same. It was clear to me that Once they took away the run, we had no plan on how to move the ball.

They had a plan. Throw over the top. It was executed poorly.

Everyone here who’s not a shtick poster admits that Grosel cannot reliably throw over the top. Why make that the game plan then? Putting players in a position to fail is Daz-esque. Need a better game plan.

If they had someone that could throw it over the top they wouldn't have had to. It was the only game plan for that defense. He had to execute or the D had to be great. If he couldn't complete the wide open passes down field they weren't scoring. He didn't.

Would have liked to see them go to 10 personnel and spread the WRs as opposed to those bunch formations. Pretty sure I saw them do that when Jurkovec was QB with Levy or Gill lined up in the slot. Complete some short throws to open the box. Then go hurry up and line up in 11 and go back to running the ball if we can get some first downs. Or Literally anything other than what we were trying to do second half because Grosel throwing a deep ball is hard to watch. I mean how much are they gonna watch him fail at it before they realize it’s just not in his arsenal.

Those throws weren't there. Period.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:04 pm

Grosel has been garbage with those deep throws. Definitely cost us, and not just in this game.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:11 pm

Hafley is not having any fun here. This was the first time I've seen him in a press conference where he didn't look comfortable. This is the first time I've gotten the impression that he was not even a little bit interested in doing the press conference. Starts rambling about how things SHOULD have gone if this person makes a catch or that person makes a catch. I mean, that is discomfort.

They were asking questions about all the Grosel passes thrown out of bounds and everything. That put him on the spot. I think the comment about the nose tackle being a bowling ball was a bit silly.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Eagle1999 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:39 pm

He should be uncomfortable. This was the worst loss on his watch. And it was after a bye week. Grossly outplayed in all 3 phases and it wasn’t close. Homecoming. Night game. 50 recruits to watch the shit show. 3 point spread turned huge loss. Outcoached. Out everythinged. Should be uncomfortable given the performance last night. Despite his “coach speak” he’s probably wondering where win 5 is. Effort like last night means it won’t be until next year…
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:47 pm

He should be uncomfortable. This was the worst loss on his watch. And it was after a bye week. Grossly outplayed in all 3 phases and it wasn’t close. Homecoming. Night game. 50 recruits to watch the shit show. 3 point spread turned huge loss. Outcoached. Out everythinged. Should be uncomfortable given the performance last night. Despite his “coach speak” he’s probably wondering where win 5 is. Effort like last night means it won’t be until next year…
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby 49dueagle on Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:56 pm

I think that the most of telling his remarks was when he said guys were wide open from the start. I like Hafley, but what does that tell you, coach? :vader
49dueagle
Carney Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:35 pm

49dueagle {l Wrote}:I think that the most of telling his remarks was when he said guys were wide open from the start. I like Hafley, but what does that tell you, coach? :vader

Hafley knows Grosel sucks. He has to. The problem is whatever we got behind him is worse. For a guy that says he wants competition, he was quick to anoint Grosel as “the guy” after the Clemson debacle. I don’t think it’s because Grosel is handsome and tough, but because there just isn’t anyone else. To be fair, not many teams have a great number 3 QB. Our problem is we have a lousy number 2 QB. Hafley knows it, there just isn’t anything he can do. To the offenses’s credit, we still try to throw the ball over the top. To their detriment, we don’t connect on any of them. Until we do, forget the run game. Teams are going to force our QB to win the game and sadly our QB is Grosel. Good enough for an OT win over Missourah, but I don’t see him leading us over anyone else. Neither does Hafley and that’s what you see in the video.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:37 pm

Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:He should be uncomfortable. This was the worst loss on his watch. And it was after a bye week. Grossly outplayed in all 3 phases and it wasn’t close. Homecoming. Night game. 50 recruits to watch the shit show. 3 point spread turned huge loss. Outcoached. Out everythinged. Should be uncomfortable given the performance last night. Despite his “coach speak” he’s probably wondering where win 5 is. Effort like last night means it won’t be until next year…

You may be right.

Obviously, none of the other QBs on the roster are ready to play. If they were ready, they would be playing. They are not ready. He knows that. He knew that after ZooMass when Phil-Glass-Joe-Jurkovec hurt his wrist. That is why he wouldn't even dignify any questions as to who would be backing up Grosel. He has no backup.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:53 pm

Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:To the offenses’s credit, we still try to throw the ball over the top. To their detriment, we don’t connect on any of them. Until we do, forget the run game. Teams are going to force our QB to win the game and sadly our QB is Grosel. Good enough for an OT win over Missourah, but I don’t see him leading us over anyone else. Neither does Hafley and that’s what you see in the video.

This is absolutely correct and should be laminated and sent to Belichick. You have to at least try to spread the field. Difference is, Belichick has the QB and he is calling plays like hansen. Hafley at least knows he can't win unless they can complete balls down the field, even if they don't have a guy to get them there.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Supahfan99 on Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:21 pm

Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:
49dueagle {l Wrote}:I think that the most of telling his remarks was when he said guys were wide open from the start. I like Hafley, but what does that tell you, coach? :vader

Hafley knows Grosel sucks. He has to. The problem is whatever we got behind him is worse. For a guy that says he wants competition, he was quick to anoint Grosel as “the guy” after the Clemson debacle. I don’t think it’s because Grosel is handsome and tough, but because there just isn’t anyone else. To be fair, not many teams have a great number 3 QB. Our problem is we have a lousy number 2 QB. Hafley knows it, there just isn’t anything he can do. To the offenses’s credit, we still try to throw the ball over the top. To their detriment, we don’t connect on any of them. Until we do, forget the run game. Teams are going to force our QB to win the game and sadly our QB is Grosel. Good enough for an OT win over Missourah, but I don’t see him leading us over anyone else. Neither does Hafley and that’s what you see in the video.

I agree with all of this.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:47 am

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:
Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:

It's this. He knows Grosel is bad, but always knows Morehead and whatever preferred walk-ons are behind Grosel are significantly worse.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:49 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Did Donovan Ezeiruaku play?

pff had him at 23 snaps

i saw him once or twice, no impact. not to pull an ib but he just turned 18 so not exactly surprising
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:51 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Not sure what you expected the playcalling to be. After the first few series there were 9 in the box. They had to throw downfield it was what was open.

I thought our first half game plan was good. Slants, get Zay touches on short throws allowing him to make plays, try to establish the run. Second half was a shitshow where we kept thing to run Garwo into a wall of Nc State defenders followed by letting Sinkfield try to get yardage doing the same. It was clear to me that Once they took away the run, we had no plan on how to move the ball.

NCS adjusted after the first series… not halftime. All the “hey, why don’t we run…” is asinine. You have a QB who can not throw a football. The only realistic critique is whether the team would be better with Travis Levy at QB in a permanent Wildcat.

As for the “what’s the sales pitch” from microdick… it is literally doing anything more than what they’ve been doing. The strategy of ignoring the position and hoping that glass doesn’t break simply isn’t working. No other Power 5 program loses a QB and then their “fans” (who Costco’d the game) shrug and ask “whelp what’s a girl to do?”

I'd like to think we're more intelligent here than Tennessee (and most of the rest of the P5 fans).

No good QB in the country was coming here to sit behind a projected first round NFL draft pick. If they were good, they'd transfer somewhere to start. Hafley basically didn't have a recruiting class when he got hired and Morehead was a legit QB prospect. Jurk going down in Year 2 is just bad luck. They'll be far more prepared to handle this going forward.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:00 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:... They'll be far more prepared to handle this going forward.

will they, though? i stand by my assertion that glass phil goes down with another season ending injury before the end of the 6th game next year leaving at least half a season with a qb2. does that position magically improve next year due solely to seniority and/or handsomeness?

we're going to be in the same boat next year and just saying "aww shucks, injuries and such" isn't a viable answer
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:33 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

NCS adjusted after the first series… not halftime. All the “hey, why don’t we run…” is asinine. You have a QB who can not throw a football. The only realistic critique is whether the team would be better with Travis Levy at QB in a permanent Wildcat.

As for the “what’s the sales pitch” from microdick… it is literally doing anything more than what they’ve been doing. The strategy of ignoring the position and hoping that glass doesn’t break simply isn’t working. No other Power 5 program loses a QB and then their “fans” (who Costco’d the game) shrug and ask “whelp what’s a girl to do?”

I'd like to think we're more intelligent here than Tennessee (and most of the rest of the P5 fans).

No good QB in the country was coming here to sit behind a projected first round NFL draft pick. If they were good, they'd transfer somewhere to start. Hafley basically didn't have a recruiting class when he got hired and Morehead was a legit QB prospect. Jurk going down in Year 2 is just bad luck. They'll be far more prepared to handle this going forward.

No one is saying that Hafley should have landed a future NFL hall of famer to be Jurkovec's back-up [see, anyone can use strawmen]. What is being argued is that we should have taken a transfer from a crappy FBS QB or a good FCS QB... because both are light years better than someone who can't throw to an open receiver beyond 10 yards. We didn't. We ignored the position and decided to role with a 6th walk-on baseball player because UVA.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:35 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:... They'll be far more prepared to handle this going forward.

will they, though? i stand by my assertion that glass phil goes down with another season ending injury before the end of the 6th game next year leaving at least half a season with a qb2. does that position magically improve next year due solely to seniority and/or handsomeness?

we're going to be in the same boat next year and just saying "aww shucks, injuries and such" isn't a viable answer

Are you as dumb as a Tennessee fan? micro has already stated that the coaching staff is defenseless to ever bring in another QB so long as Jurk's name is on the roster.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:40 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:
Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:

It's this. He knows Grosel is bad, but always knows Morehead and whatever preferred walk-ons are behind Grosel are significantly worse.

They handpicked Morehead and Rueve to be the future of the program. These aren't leftovers from Daz... these are players they selected to be a part of two supposedly incredible recruiting classes. A significant number of their classmates have already seen meaningful time on the field (beating out much better competition than Grosel). Morehead was an early enrollee so he would be ready to go. There is a significant question as to whether this DB coach has a clue as to what is needed at QB. Relying on Cignetti's extended family to find connections to Top 100 QBs doesn't seem like the most robust of recruiting strategies.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:04 am

This is far and away the best of the HJSs
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:12 am

@lebrownlow
Dave Doeren said the crowd was "raucous" at Boston College. "Learned a few new cuss words, so appreciate that."
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:17 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:@lebrownlow
Dave Doeren said the crowd was "raucous" at Boston College. "Learned a few new cuss words, so appreciate that."

Back when fans attended home games (i.e. before Spaz), there would be annual quotes from Miami players about Alumni being the hardest place to play due to the fans being on top of the field and close enough to harangue opposing players on the sideline.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:22 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

Back when fans attended home games (i.e. before Spaz), there would be annual quotes from Miami players about Alumni being the hardest place to play due to the fans being on top of the field and close enough to harangue opposing players on the sideline.

Hopefully Hafley brings that back.

EDIT: I also remember the fact that we have aluminum bleachers reverberates noise better than a concrete stadium and esp when people stamp their feet.
Last edited by DuchesneEast on Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:24 am

I am wondering what the effect of this will be on Hafley. Assuming he, like most coaches, is using BC as a stepping stone to a baby rapist or NFL gig, he just missed catching lightning in a bottle. The ACC is historically putrid. With Jurk there is a very fair chance BC could have won the ACC as this is the year everything aligned. Nobody is unbeatable. Haf comes in as a media darling (thanks Herbie) and raises BC to a national level in 2 years (mostly in a pandemic). Spotlight couldn’t be brighter and hey, if he can win at BC in just two years, imagine what he could do in Baton Rouge (or similar environment). Now Hafley is staring down the barrel of an 0-8 close after a 4-0 start. I doubt he ever expected to be competing for an ACC Championship in year 2 but it would have been possible. And now it’s gone. Will be interesting to see how things move forward.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:26 am

Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:I am wondering what the effect of this will be on Hafley. Assuming he, like most coaches, is using BC as a stepping stone to a baby rapist or NFL gig, he just missed catching lightning in a bottle. The ACC is historically putrid. With Jurk there is a very fair chance BC could have won the ACC as this is the year everything aligned. Nobody is unbeatable. Haf comes in as a media darling (thanks Herbie) and raises BC to a national level in 2 years (mostly in a pandemic). Spotlight couldn’t be brighter and hey, if he can win at BC in just two years, imagine what he could do in Baton Rouge (or similar environment). Now Hafley is staring down the barrel of an 0-8 close after a 4-0 start. I doubt he ever expected to be competing for an ACC Championship in year 2 but it would have been possible. And now it’s gone. Will be interesting to see how things move forward.

Agreed it was a best possible scenario for him if Jurk didnt get hurt.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:31 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Hopefully Hafley brings that back.

EDIT: I also remember the fact that we have aluminum bleachers reverberates noise better than a concrete stadium and esp when people stamp their feet.

The student section looked pretty full at the start. The quickest way to lose that type of engagement is to shit the bed and lose 33-7 in the first home night game since November 2018.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:55 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

No one is saying that Hafley should have landed a future NFL hall of famer to be Jurkovec's back-up [see, anyone can use strawmen]. What is being argued is that we should have taken a transfer from a crappy FBS QB or a good FCS QB... because both are light years better than someone who can't throw to an open receiver beyond 10 yards. We didn't. We ignored the position and decided to role with a 6th walk-on baseball player because UVA.

I have been a huge optimist, but we all knew Grosel had serious limitations. He needed to hit a couple of deep passes total between the Temple and Missouri games. That would have been on film and hopefully the opponents' defenses would play a little more honestly. We're going to have a game manager from here on out, but we have beatable opponents. NC State probably is the best team we'll face (apologies to Wake).

Is Morehead sitting because he's not ready or to save his redshirt? I assume the former but others would know better. The preferred walk-ons presumably were supposed to develop in time to be upperclassman backups, and also aren't ready yet.

It seems they need Delaportas to emerge as the starter, presumably after serving an apprenticeship next season behind Jurkovec. But should we be concerned about him too? He does have a 4-star rating, but it wouldn't be the first time a 4-star QB flamed out for us. This summer he transferred to his home public school (Jefferson, NJ) from a weaker Catholic school program (Pope John). While Pope John is 1-6 without him, Jefferson is not much better at 2-5. Pope John's high point was 3-4 last season, after 2-win seasons the two years prior. Point being, at the high school level he hasn't been a difference-maker. Should we expect more in college?
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:40 pm

OCs_Inner_Eagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

I have been a huge optimist, but we all knew Grosel had serious limitations. He needed to hit a couple of deep passes total between the Temple and Missouri games. That would have been on film and hopefully the opponents' defenses would play a little more honestly. We're going to have a game manager from here on out, but we have beatable opponents. NC State probably is the best team we'll face (apologies to Wake).

Is Morehead sitting because he's not ready or to save his redshirt? I assume the former but others would know better. The preferred walk-ons presumably were supposed to develop in time to be upperclassman backups, and also aren't ready yet.

It seems they need Delaportas to emerge as the starter, presumably after serving an apprenticeship next season behind Jurkovec. But should we be concerned about him too? He does have a 4-star rating, but it wouldn't be the first time a 4-star QB flamed out for us. This summer he transferred to his home public school (Jefferson, NJ) from a weaker Catholic school program (Pope John). While Pope John is 1-6 without him, Jefferson is not much better at 2-5. Pope John's high point was 3-4 last season, after 2-win seasons the two years prior. Point being, at the high school level he hasn't been a difference-maker. Should we expect more in college?

Heard from someone connected to the program that Morehead is the real deal talent-wise but not currently ready to run Cignetti's NFL-like offense with all it's complexity. Will be ready to start by next fall if needed.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:50 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Heard from someone connected to the program that Morehead is the real deal talent-wise but not currently ready to run Cignetti's NFL-like offense with all it's complexity. Will be ready to start by next fall if needed.

Needed.

The suck thing is, we are all going to get one year older and the Seniors, their season is gone because glass Joe Phil fell on his own wrist and Hafley wont burn Morehead's redshirt. That is Toby thinking. They may not win another game with Grosel. He doesn't have the tailbacks this year like he did last year to bail him out.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:43 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

So... you are saying that you heard Hafley would rather lose games than have Cignetti to simplify the offense. Yep. Sounds like something you would believe.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium