Official Gameday Thread - BC at Clemson -10.2.21

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC at Clemson -10.2.21

Postby commavegarage on Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:31 am

By your logic every acc team should be able to scoop up baby rapist 3rd stringers to make them second stringers.

That’s so dumb.

We’ll probably go 8-4 this year. We’d win 10 with Phil. Name me a peer school where the starter goes down for the year and they don’t lose a couple of extra games as a result.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:34 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:but again, what's the pitch to get a better than patriot league qb in?

in the scenario you said: hey drew pyne, come and be the backup at bc opposed to the backup at ND?

"Hey Drew Pyne, come to BC and be a starter if Jurk breaks again... or be the uncontested starter in 2022 if he doesn't."
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:39 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:By your logic every acc team should be able to scoop up baby rapist 3rd stringers to make them second stringers.

That’s so dumb.

We’ll probably go 8-4 this year. We’d win 10 with Phil. Name me a peer school where the starter goes down for the year and they don’t lose a couple of extra games as a result.

Name me a peer school where Dennis Grosel is a starting QB.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:40 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:And if South Bend is closed for business, there are a ton of 3rd string QBs at any Baby Rapist you can name who might be happy with a promotion to second string with a real chance to start. Any one of those guys would have a better arm and better athleticism than Grosel. and one easily fixed this past off season.

What if he did exactly what you said because he saw what we saw. Reached out to every SEC third stringer and said “you can be the backup here for 2 years then start”.

Every single one of them would have probably said no. If you are an 18 year old willing to ride the pine at a baby rapist why would you move to ride the pine at a non baby rapist. So what next?

Convincing a player with actual skill to come and sit behind someone for 2 years is a lot easier said than done. Blame the staff all you want, but the logic of “we should be able to easily get a 3 at a baby rapist to be a 2 for 2 years here” is stupid.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:43 am

Got it. So we’re supposed to convince a 18-19 year old that he’ll start at some point because our QB might get hurt.

This Jurk to the pros argument after this year is ridiculous. Who is he Dave shinskie?
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:45 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:By your logic every acc team should be able to scoop up baby rapist 3rd stringers to make them second stringers.

That’s so dumb.

Name me a peer school where Dennis Grosel is a starting QB.

He’s not a starting qb.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:14 am

That’s so dumb.

If the ACC had better coaching, that’s exactly what it would do. Kentucky has the best QB it has had since Tim Couch because they went and plucked a Penn State kid, and if you know about the recruitment they pitched him on being a back up with a line of site to playing—which happened after the starter went down in the Spring—and now here he is and Kentucky—a shitty, wasteland of a football program is having a historically good year. There are about a dozen other examples of kids moving in the past year, not to start, but for an opportunity to play next year. That is the way smart programs operate—in fact, plucking discarded 4/5 stars from Baby Rapists is turning into the primary QB recruiting tool for mid-tier P5 teams. And maybe not all kids are persuadable, but given the insane activity in the transfer portal, a large number of them are.

And the pitch to Pyne is simple. Hey Drew, you are a junior. This was supposed to be your time. And now Kelly has brought in the kid from Wisconsin. Also, have you noticed that Kelly keeps telling the press that Tyler Buchner is the best QB he has ever landed at ND. You think you are anywhere in their plans as a starter at this point, or even 2nd string? Look, Jurk is going in the first round at the end of this season if we can keep him healthy and there is no one ready to play next year. And if Jurk goes down this year you get the keys to a team that is poised to make some noise this year and if you are successful, the competition for 2022 is wide open. With Clark it is even easier—Brendan, we both know you are never seeing the field. You come here, you will see the field this year if Jurk gets hurt or you’ll see the field next year if he finishes upright. Then you have three years to start because of your redshirt and the ‘vid year.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:17 am

let's be really honest at this point... glass phil will be broken again next year prior to the redshirt burning game. if hafley doesn't have a contingency in place better than mrs. funishment, then all faith in this young man is lost for me and i wish him well at his next nfl or better d-1 job

edit - and we need to slow the roll on glass phil to the nfl until he can prove that he can "stay upright" for more than 4 games at a time
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:31 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:let's be really honest at this point... glass phil will be broken again next year prior to the redshirt burning game. if hafley doesn't have a contingency in place better than mrs. funishment, then all faith in this young man is lost for me and i wish him well at his next nfl or better d-1 job

edit - and we need to slow the roll on glass phil to the nfl until he can prove that he can "stay upright" for more than 4 games at a time

By using that logic, you are saying that we should simultaneously have 3 NFL-ready QBs on the roster at the same time. I'm sorry, name another mid-major program that had Matt Ryan, Trevor Lawrence and Justin Herbert all on the roster at the same time. You can't.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:38 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:but again, what's the pitch to get a better than patriot league qb in?

in the scenario you said: hey drew pyne, come and be the backup at bc opposed to the backup at ND?

"Hey Drew Pyne, come to BC stay at ND and be a starter if Jurk Coan breaks again."
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:50 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

"Hey Drew Pyne, come to BC and be a starter if Jurk breaks again... or be the uncontested starter in 2022 if he doesn't."

Could we recruit someone not in The Portal?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:00 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:let's be really honest at this point... glass phil will be broken again next year prior to the redshirt burning game. if hafley doesn't have a contingency in place better than mrs. funishment, then all faith in this young man is lost for me and i wish him well at his next nfl or better d-1 job

Completely agree
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:05 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Sure, but it's Hafley's second year after getting hired during the middle of a pandemic...
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:06 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Got it. So we’re supposed to convince a 18-19 year old that he’ll start at some point because our QB might get hurt.

This Jurk to the pros argument after this year is ridiculous. Who is he Dave shinskie?

That recruiting pitch works precisely with no one. It's also pretty hard to identify whether the third string QB on "insert SEC Team here" is actually any good when they never play.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:39 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:It's also pretty hard to identify whether the third string QB on "insert SEC Team here" is actually any good when they never play.

We don't need "good." We just need "better than Grosel."
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:39 am

Fragility issues aside any NFL GM drafting Phil after this year (even if he had stayed healthy and put up good or very good results) would be taking a huge risk and 100% betting on future upside. For this reason, I think he needed two seasons if he wanted first round money.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:40 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:It's also pretty hard to identify whether the third string QB on "insert SEC Team here" is actually any good when they never play.

saving this for when Dennis leads us to 10-2 glory.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:05 am

hansen {l Wrote}:

Fragility issues aside any NFL GM drafting Phil after this year (even if he had stayed healthy and put up good or very good results) would be taking a huge risk and 100% betting on future upside. For this reason, I think he needed two seasons if he wanted first round money.

Zach Wilson says hello. Trey Lance too. Kinda Mac Jones and his 1.5 seasons.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:19 am

glad you added the edit on the nfl.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:32 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Sure, but it's Hafley's second year after getting hired during the middle of a pandemic...

I didn't think they could?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:06 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

This. We need better than a Patriot League QB. Fairly low bar that 90% of P5 third stringers can meet. And the pitch isn't you start if our starter gets hurt. The pitch is you are buried on the depth chart and your coaching staff has given up on you. Come here. Yes, you will be a back up initially, but that is certainly better than 3rd string, and take a look at our depth chart, when Phil departs, you are the presumptive starter. At Baby Rapist U, you are the back up to the back up and are just hanging around waiting for them to shove you out the door when the next heralded freshman arrives next year.

I think it is hilarious that most of you don't see how the transfer portal has radically altered the recruiting world, especially at the QB position. The idea of a four year depth player at that position is gone, unless you are willing to take a kid below the level at which your program resides for continuity, familiarity with offense purposes(like taking a kid whose only offers are outside the P5). The problem with BC and Grosel is we took someone who was 3 or 4 levels below our program's level.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:08 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

This. We need better than a Patriot League QB. Fairly low bar that 90% of P5 third stringers can meet. And the pitch isn't you start if our starter gets hurt. The pitch is you are buried on the depth chart and your coaching staff has given up on you. Come here. Yes, you will be a back up initially, but that is certainly better than 3rd string, and take a look at our depth chart, when Phil departs, you are the presumptive starter. At Baby Rapist U, you are the back up to the back up and are just hanging around waiting for them to shove you out the door when the next heralded freshman arrives next year.

I think it is hilarious that most of you don't see how the transfer portal has radically altered the recruiting world, especially at the QB position. The idea of a four year depth player at that position is gone, unless you are willing to take a kid below the level at which your program resides for continuity, familiarity with offense purposes(like taking a kid whose only offers are outside the P5). The problem with BC and Grosel is we took someone who was 3 or 4 levels below our program's level.

I witnessed Fadule and Flutie. He could be much worse.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:11 am

Grosel is not worse than 90% of P5 3rd stringers.

Hell he sucks but he wasn’t much worse than clemsons first stringer Saturday.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:43 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Grosel is not worse than 90% of P5 3rd stringers.

this

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:01 am

In the fourth quarter Grosel was significantly better than his 5-star counterpart.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle33 on Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:36 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:

In the fourth quarter Grosel was significantly better than his 5-star counterpart.

dabo should have been smart enough to raid the xfer portal and convince an unhappy third stringer to go to clemson and wait for his turn there.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:30 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:the qb position is a shit show, but i think its tough to totally kill hafley for it

clemson has been one of the two best programs in the nation the last 8 years, gets every player they want, back to back first round qbs...they get a 5 star recruit, #1 at his position, he comes in at QB after sitting under the "tutelage of Trevor" for a year and is one of the worst qbs we will face.

our qb situation is a disaster, but you need to tell me where hafley went wrong if you want to kill him for the current situation.

December 2019: Hired as coach

January 2020: gets jurk to transfer to BC for three years as potential starter qb without having to sit out. if the criticism here is that jurk is made of glass (somewhat fair) so he shouldn't have gotten him, then you have to be okay with last year being 12 games of grosel. it wasn't fair to expect him to get an impact true freshman qb given his hiring timeline

2020 season: since you are playing jurk, he's got 2 years after this, and he looks at the very least decent (4 of his first 5 games 300+ yards passing) you have to convince a top qb recruit to pass over a baby rapist where he would have to sit anyway, to sit here for a couple of years. in my mind the only shot in 2020 that we got a top qb here is if we had grosel playing so you could say "youll get to start for 4 years", thus torpedoing the 2020 season

Additions to the QB timeline:
Dec. 1999 Though AB had entered The Portal, he went to the team meeting where JH met the team and from public comments, its sounds like he could have been talked into staying;
Jan 2020 Rueve was offered;
Dec 2020 Sam Johnson enters The Portal;
April 2021 Matt Valecce enters The Portal.

Ok so is the argument you’d rather have AB than Jurk? That’s reasonable. If we did go that route this year would be a rebuilding year at the qb position.

I can’t believe people actually think that we should have a very solid backup qb on this roster given the circumstances.

No, you are leaping to conclusions here. I would much rather have a healthy Jurk than a healthy AB.

Look, if Morehead turns out to be terrible, that is on JH. Otherwise, the fact that our 2-deep consists of Grosel and Menard is on the halfwit currently 1-3 in Fort Collins.
Last edited by DomingoOrtiz on Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:48 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:the qb position is a shit show, but i think its tough to totally kill hafley for it

clemson has been one of the two best programs in the nation the last 8 years, gets every player they want, back to back first round qbs...they get a 5 star recruit, #1 at his position, he comes in at QB after sitting under the "tutelage of Trevor" for a year and is one of the worst qbs we will face.

our qb situation is a disaster, but you need to tell me where hafley went wrong if you want to kill him for the current situation.

January 2020: gets jurk to transfer to BC for three years as potential starter qb without having to sit out. if the criticism here is that jurk is made of glass (somewhat fair) so he shouldn't have gotten him, then you have to be okay with last year being 12 games of grosel. it wasn't fair to expect him to get an impact true freshman qb given his hiring timeline

2020 season: since you are playing jurk, he's got 2 years after this, and he looks at the very least decent (4 of his first 5 games 300+ yards passing) you have to convince a top qb recruit to pass over a baby rapist where he would have to sit anyway, to sit here for a couple of years. in my mind the only shot in 2020 that we got a top qb here is if we had grosel playing so you could say "youll get to start for 4 years", thus torpedoing the 2020 season

Dec. 1999 Though AB had entered The Portal, he went to the team meeting where JH met the team and from public comments, its sounds like he could have been talked into staying;

Ok so is the argument you’d rather have AB than Jurk? That’s reasonable. If we did go that route this year would be a rebuilding year at the qb position.

I can’t believe people actually think that we should have a very solid backup qb on this roster given the circumstances.

No, you are leaping to conclusions here. I would much rather have a healthy Jurk than a healthy AB.

Look, if Morehead turns out to be terrible, that is on JF. Otherwise, the fact that our 2-deep consists of Grosel and Menard is on the halfwit currently 1-3 in Fort Collins.

JF = Jesus Forgetter?
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:29 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Look, if Morehead turns out to be terrible, that is on JH. Otherwise, the fact that our 2-deep consists of Grosel and Menard is on the halfwit currently 1-3 in Fort Collins.

i agree - my point was if you want to present the argument that you'd rather have AB than jurk, that is a reasonable argument. i dont agree with it but it is logical because it could have realistically happened.

to expect hafley to have some good backup qb as if they grow on trees / would want to come to play backup to a qb for likely two years just doesnt make a whole lot of sense
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Tue Oct 05, 2021 2:44 pm

The only time we had a good backup QB was when TOB had The Shredder starting.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium