Recruiting NJ

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Recruiting NJ

Postby claver2010 on Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:19 am

the athletic has been doing a series around the country interviewing HS coaches about recruiting in their state. some interesting notes from NJ:

https://theathletic.com/2848402/2021/09 ... n-rutgers/

Which out-of-state schools do the best job of recruiting your players or the state of New Jersey?

Coach 7: Right now, it’s Penn State. Boston College right behind, then Notre Dame. Penn State is standing out. This is one of the hurdles Rutgers has to get over. There are a lot of kids from this area who don’t want to be in Piscataway. They go to Ann Arbor or State College or Columbus, and they are wowed. Piscataway is Piscataway.

Which college head coach do you trust the most?

Coach 4: To be honest with you, I trust the guy just because of a relationship that goes back a long time, Jeff Hafley at Boston College. … And, another guy that I trust and I’m very fond of, he’s not a head coach, but I’ve gotten to know Brent Venables down at Clemson pretty good too. He’s one of the best guys to work with.

Coach 7: Right now I’d say Jeff Hafley at Boston College. You get a genuine feel for him. He’s open, honest and not buttoned up. He’ll talk to everyone. He makes himself open to talk to. He makes you feel like you can give him a call at any time and he won’t blow you off. He’s a Jersey guy.

Which college head coach do you trust the least?

Coach 1: Coach (Steve) Addazio, when he was at Temple. I had a really bad relationship with him. (Former Temple coach) Matt Rhule is my all-time favorite college coach — and it’s because Addazio did so much damage with our program at Temple. Addazio is the least trustworthy of them all, in my estimation. He really hurt the program because he really damaged relationships with coaches. I’m not the only person who will say this, but he used to sprinkle offers all over the state and then renege on the offers. That was regular. And he tried to broom two of my players out who were recruited by (previous Temple coach) Al Golden. I have nothing good to say about him.

Coach 2: Mack Brown, for sure. The guy at Boston College — Jeff Hafley. Don’t like him.

Coach 9: Locksley. … Addazio is another guy. Steve is the most arrogant man I’ve ever met in my life. He could piss off the Pope.

Which assistants in the region has impressed you the most?

Coach 4: The guy from Virginia, the O-line coach, (Garett) Tujague. Ricky Rahne was a guy I always liked a lot and always had a lot of dealings with him. … I got to know Coach Hafley from Boston College really through his time at Pitt and his time at Rutgers. He always did a great job, and I can tell he’s grooming his guys to do the same because they’re very thorough.

Coach 7: Augie Hoffman has done a tremendous job at Rutgers making inroads. Fran Brown at Rutgers, Joe Dailey at Boston College, Brent Pry at Penn State. But Dailey stands out. He’s in constant communication, always reaching out. He’s working the phones, whether it is checking in, seeing what we need, just building a relationship.

Coach 8: Ryan Day and Jeff Hafley stand out like you wouldn’t believe and now they are head coaches. They were familiar with the state, the head coaches and they know how to talk to people.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: Recruiting NJ

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:38 am

Jeff Hafley. Don’t like him.

Ok, why?
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:43 am

Seems Coach 2 is a weird dude. No one hates Mack Brown. His only redeeming quality as a coach is that he is a good guy and a great recruiter.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:54 am

Coach 1: Head coach in Central Jersey (25-plus years)
Coach 2: Head coach in Central Jersey (20-plus years)
Coach 3: Head coach in South Jersey (10-plus years)
Coach 4: Head coach in North Jersey (20-plus years)
Coach 5: Head coach in South Jersey (15-plus years)
Coach 6: Head coach in North Jersey (30-plus years)
Coach 7: Head coach in North Jersey (15-plus years)
Coach 8: Former head coach in North Jersey (30-plus years)
Coach 9: Former head coach in Central Jersey (30-plus years)
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:17 am

What were the other quotes from Coach 2? Did they include nights spent in the Candy Van?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:19 am

How could they have an article on Jersey recruiting and not ask HJS for some quotes?
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:21 am

One quote that Claver missed above:

Coach 8: "I like Hafley a lot. He's a little bit of a snake oil salesman, but I like him. He's a mover and a shaker, that's for sure."
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:30 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:How could they have an article on Jersey recruiting and not ask HJS for some quotes?

I guess you didn't read the comments from Coach 9
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:38 am

hansen {l Wrote}:One quote that Claver missed above:

Coach 8: "I like Hafley a lot. He's a little bit of a snake oil salesman, but I like him. He's a mover and a shaker, that's for sure."

Could this be Coach Hansen from Prep? Just retired, Probably 31 years coaching exp.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:22 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Seems Coach 2 is a weird dude. No one hates Mack Brown. His only redeeming quality as a coach is that he is a good guy and a great recruiter.

Coach 2 - Central Jersey, 20- years experience. Someone with nothing better to do can probably figure out how to Rocketcar this coach. I'm guessing this guy just doesn't like the type of person that Hafley is - lots of energy, enthusiasm, etc. He probably thinks he's full of shit.

Interesting to see the feedback on Addazzio, however they seemed to refer to his Temple days and not BC. Nothing surprising though.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle33 on Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:41 pm

not many good things being said about the hansen guy in the comments section. mostly by ped state fans who say he is coach 8.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:34 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:not many good things being said about the hansen guy in the comments section. mostly by ped state fans who say he is coach 8.

Sounds like he tooks shots at Franklin that werent really true.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:23 pm

The dope who wrote this article probably should have protected his sources a little better.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium