New Years Bowl Games Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

New Years Bowl Games Thread

Postby claver2010 on Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:49 pm

herzlich has not gotten better at calling games

4th and <1 for tulsa at miss st's 20, down 8 in 4th q. "tulsa might just line up and see if they can draw them offsides and kick the FG". game is being played in a hurricane, you're down 8 why would you settle for a 38 yard FG attempt?

those who played the game =/= those who know the game
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: New Years Bowl Games Thread

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:13 pm

Would Jurkovec have navigated ND through the schedule to split with Clemson and beat everyone else? That's the $64k question, right? If that happens, then it's Jurkovec's upside that would give ND a puncher's chance against Alabama. You don't beat Alabama playing it safe.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:12 am

Jurk had no chance of replicating Book’s success this year. Just very different players at different times in their careers. I don’t think there is an argument to be made that current Jurk would take that team to 10-1.

That said, I think Bama beats people by others thinking they have to do something beyond themselves to win. They take teams out of their norm before stepping on the field. And, then they capitalize when something invariably goes wrong. ND’s chance to beat Bama is to be ND. Play great D. Effectively use Book in space. Lots of throws to TEs. Control time of possession. If they try to do some other shit, they’ll get run out the building.

I’d take the points in both games. I think ND can cause Bama problems if they play their game (and ND fans hope that Kelly got his big game jitters out of his system in the ACCCG embarrassment). I think OSU wins outright. They’ve built up Clemson to be their Super Bowl. If they don’t win tomorrow, you’ll see a detiering of OSU to Oklahoma status (only good team in a shitty, has-been conference). At the end of the day, for all its hype, this ain’t a vintage Clemson team. Great QB and RB, but the rest of the team is among Dabo’s most banal. The D, in particular, is underwhelming.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:51 am

i think both book / jurk are better suited where they are and each team would be worse if they switched.

agreed this clemson team is a step back from the last 2 years. 6 players on D selected in first 2 rounds of last two drafts aren't instantly replaced. also no one has replaced ross. amari rodgers is good but is not the absolute freak ross is. that said, i'll still take venables to confuse fields and lawrence / etienne are the 2 best players on the field.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:58 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:That said, I think Bama beats people by others thinking they have to do something beyond themselves to win. They take teams out of their norm before stepping on the field. And, then they capitalize when something invariably goes wrong. ND’s chance to beat Bama is to be ND. Play great D. Effectively use Book in space. Lots of throws to TEs. Control time of possession. If they try to do some other shit, they’ll get run out the building.

I’d take the points in both games. I think ND can cause Bama problems if they play their game (and ND fans hope that Kelly got his big game jitters out of his system in the ACCCG embarrassment). I think OSU wins outright. They’ve built up Clemson to be their Super Bowl. If they don’t win tomorrow, you’ll see a detiering of OSU to Oklahoma status (only good team in a shitty, has-been conference). At the end of the day, for all its hype, this ain’t a vintage Clemson team. Great QB and RB, but the rest of the team is among Dabo’s most banal. The D, in particular, is underwhelming.

ND is a better team than the one that got spanked by Clemson in the ACCCG. They can beat Bama but would need to play a nearly perfect game to do so.
Absolutely agree re this not being one of Clemson's more talented teams. Ross' injury was huge! I fear that 0.0hio St's OL will really push around Clemson's front 7. Also, Clemson's OC is at home and their best DB will miss the first half.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:07 pm

Saban is in another stratosphere coaching-wise compres to Brian Kelly. Add in the talent advantage, I don’t expect ND to be able to keep up with BAMA!
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:27 pm

Harris and Smith are just too good.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Shoreagle on Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:41 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:That said, I think Bama beats people by others thinking they have to do something beyond themselves to win. They take teams out of their norm before stepping on the field. And, then they capitalize when something invariably goes wrong. ND’s chance to beat Bama is to be ND. Play great D. Effectively use Book in space. Lots of throws to TEs. Control time of possession. If they try to do some other shit, they’ll get run out the building.

ND is a better team than the one that got spanked by Clemson in the ACCCG. They can beat Bama but would need to play a nearly perfect game to do so.
Absolutely agree re this not being one of Clemson's more talented teams. Ross' injury was huge! I fear that 0.0hio St's OL will really push around Clemson's front 7. Also, Clemson's OC is at home and their best DB will miss the first half.

This post is not aging well.
Shoreagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:41 pm

ND really had some momentum with the stop at the end of the first half (awful missed PI call aiding them) and the stop at the start of the half. But Alabama always seems to recover from these areas of a game where they look human and now we're seeing the beatdown we expected.

Book with that running ability is a huge X-Factor. Very difficult to deal with. He's honestly a very good player. And now Pyne is in for him for two plays after the hard sack. Uh-oh.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:50 pm

Is Pyne the Irish QB of the future? If so, that's a huge drop off.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:09 pm

Shoreagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

I didn't predict an ND win or that they wouldn't get crushed. ND is a better team when Book doesn't suck but even with Book playing unsucky, ND still will have lost. I didn't expect ND's D to get so dominated.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:14 pm

Shoreagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

My post about the Clemson-OSU game is aging like fine wine.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:21 pm

Clemson looks like dogshit tonight.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:32 pm

jesus what a hit on fields
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Supahfan99 on Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:35 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:jesus what a hit on fields

Fields is going to be pissing blood for a few days. That being said, Skalski obviously is retarded.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:37 pm

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:Clemson looks like dogshit tonight.

Getting their best DB back in the 2nd half should help but the fact is 0.0hio O is just much more talented that Clemson's D. Also, I don't dont understand Clemson's offensive game plan.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:45 pm

clemson is relying on a lot of youth up front for a dynasty rolling like dabo / venables has them
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:49 pm

Has Ohio State upgraded defensive coordinators? They lost so much talent on D to the NFL last year, yet their defense seems prepared, enthusiastic, and effective.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:52 pm

thought the gag would be up as we changed the calendar. alas the aliass goes continues
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Supahfan99 on Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:56 pm

Well this game is over. I did not see this coming.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:13 pm

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:Well this game is over. I did not see this coming.

Clemson D getting owned is not surprising. Clemson's O playing calling is just bizarre.
No idea why people thought this would be a cakewalk for Clemson.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:18 pm

This Clemson team is just not good offensively or defensively compared to recent years.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:25 pm

Maybe its time for Clemson to give up on the RPO?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:28 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:Well this game is over. I did not see this coming.

Clemson D getting owned is not surprising. Clemson's O playing calling is just bizarre.
No idea why people thought this would be a cakewalk for Clemson.

Dabs is the clown we all thought he was.
The offensive play calling sucking probably has something to do with Tony Elliott not being involved.
Venables’ D has been terrible all year.

All HCRD is doing is rolling the tape from ND’s win against this same terrible D. I admit that I didn’t realize how much Tony Elliott was responsible for the offense. He should be a head coach somewhere immediately after this game. If I’m Dabo, I give play calling completely to Lawrence.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:38 pm

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:jesus what a hit on fields

That being said, Skalski obviously is retarded.

Probably true but NCAA has to change that rule.
Also, refs are doing their best to help 0.0hio St
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:41 pm

#1 for Clemson is having a horrendous game.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:48 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:#1 for Clemson is having a horrendous game.

He really is. They straight up picking on him at this point.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:51 pm

There’s no pass rush at all on Fields.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:57 pm

QB draw down by 21? WTF
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:00 pm

Glad I didn't watch either of these games. BC was a nice story but college football is a terrible product this season.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium