2021 BC Football

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2021 BC Football

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:58 am

ImageImageImageImage
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:15 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:ImageImageImageImage

I'm with tre

bring back the 2020 schedule
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:18 am

@UMyAss I assume is

@Gillette and NOT @Amherst
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:43 am

Oh look... we play at Clemson. That’s unique.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:40 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:we have a sechedule!

Colgate
@UMass
@Temple
Mizzou
@Clemson
BYE
NCST
@Louisville
@Syracuse
VT
@GT
FSU
Wake

10-2
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby tailgater94 on Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:42 pm

10-2, then fire up another coaching search
tailgater94
Carney Hall

Postby StratEagle on Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:25 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:@UMyAss I assume is

MeatBaum said it's at Amherst and not Gillette.

10-2 is correct.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:45 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:

10-2 is correct.

capacity 17,000. real nice

I certainly hope temporary adjustments are made with temp bleachers to expand capacity for that one game and (more importantly) I hope that this covid-19 shit ends by then such that it would make a difference in that there would be even one person in paid attendance. If no one can attend the game, it makes no difference, play on a high school field.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:05 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:

10-2 is correct.

capacity 17,000. real nice

I certainly hope temporary adjustments are made with temp bleachers to expand capacity for that one game and (more importantly) I hope that this covid-19 shit ends by then such that it would make a difference in that there would be even one person in paid attendance. If no one can attend the game, it makes no difference, play on a high school field.

who knows if attendance will be allowed in august/september. my gas bill is not paid, my mortgage is not paid, the vaccine killed hank aaron, and i am still wearing a mask. but, some dangling cocks can play women's sports, so we have that going for us
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby joetim99 on Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:24 pm

Nice, a game in Philly. Let’s hope attendance is allowed by then.
joetim99
n00b

Postby Los on Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:42 pm

Can't remember the last time we had 3 home conference games in November. Definitely refreshing. That said, the fact we have to go to Clemson and Syracuse three years in a row is beyond stupid.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:50 pm

Los {l Wrote}:Can't remember the last time we had 3 home conference games in November. Definitely refreshing. That said, the fact we have to go to Clemson and Syracuse three years in a row is beyond stupid.

I thought the 2021 ACC schedule was going to be what it was supposed to be in 2020. Wouldn't that have been fair and made more sense?
Last edited by DomingoOrtiz on Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:53 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Los {l Wrote}:Can't remember the last time we had 3 home conference games in November. Definitely refreshing. That said, the fact we have to go to Clemson and Syracuse three years in a row is beyond stupid.

and Louisville. I thought the 2021 ACC schedule was going to be what it was supposed to be in 2020. Wouldn't that have been fair and made more sense?

philiphucked
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCMurt09 on Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:08 pm

24-7 Sports posted on instagram we are a sleeper for the playoff. Other schools were: Miami, Texas, Auburn, LSU, and Arizona State.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:46 pm

BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:24-7 Sports posted on instagram we are a sleeper for the playoff. Other schools were: Miami, Texas, Auburn, LSU, and Arizona State.

So 24-7 thinks there's a non-zero chance that BC goes undefeated? Because that's what has to happen for BC to make it into the playoff.

There is no chance a 1-loss BC gets into the playoff over the national powers. None.

With the relatively low experienced defensive talent and the O-Line issues, BC's "margin of error" seems too thin to get above 10 wins this season. Lots of teams bring back more talent than usual because of the extra year. The O-Line has to get back to "O-Line U" standards so that BC can dictate on offense, and they need to cut down on mid-level QBs racing 60 yards for TDs.

I think they're 1 or 3 years away from a real run at a playoff, depending on whether Jurkovec stays past 2021.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:15 pm

OCs_Inner_Eagle {l Wrote}:
BCMurt09 {l Wrote}:24-7 Sports posted on instagram we are a sleeper for the playoff. Other schools were: Miami, Texas, Auburn, LSU, and Arizona State.

So 24-7 thinks there's a non-zero chance that BC goes undefeated? Because that's what has to happen for BC to make it into the playoff.

There is no chance a 1-loss BC gets into the playoff over the national powers. None.

With the relatively low experienced defensive talent and the O-Line issues, BC's "margin of error" seems too thin to get above 10 wins this season. Lots of teams bring back more talent than usual because of the extra year. The O-Line has to get back to "O-Line U" standards so that BC can dictate on offense, and they need to cut down on mid-level QBs racing 60 yards for TDs.

I think they're 1 or 3 years away from a real run at a playoff, depending on whether Jurkovec stays past 2021.

It's 0%.

They have a cream-puff schedule but they really need to go 4-0 to wind up 8-4. Players just aren't that good (yet.) Eight wins really is the best this bunch can do. But at least we have the concept of the WTF loss that we can look forward to. Been a long time since that happened.

I expected 5-6 for 2020. They went 6-5 so I was pleasantly surprised. I'm still saying, 8 wins tops for 2021.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby tallsy on Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:11 pm

There is a slight chance with 2007 style chaos but your general point is right.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:09 am

tallsy {l Wrote}:

There is a slight chance with 2007 style chaos but your general point is right.

We need a 2007 style roster for that slight chance. We don't have it.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:03 am

https://bceagles.com/news/2021/2/2/foot ... sfers.aspx

article on mid year transfers

spring practice starts march 20th
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:47 am

This is going to be a huge season for Hafley.

He has pretty much everyone returning on Offense. If he is as good as we think he is, we should see a massive uptick offensively next year. We should see Jurk playing more consistently great (as opposed to the wildly uneven play of Year 1). We should see the OLine dominate given the talent returning (and the stubbornness associated with keeping the OL coach). They lose Jurk's safety blanket in Long, but return a very strong (for BC) receiving corp. Defensively... well... they are still a work in progress given the lack of talent in key positions. That said, D is his specialty and where the most prominent assistants reside. You'd hope that, with transfers and recruits, and another year of the brain-trust to develop, we could see notable improvement. Combine all of this with a favorable schedule and the likelihood of some sort of normal preseason, I'd be concerned if we don't see a significantly better year.

As I have often said that Hafley has a Coughlin-like feel to his tenure, I would predict that we have some high profile success that involves Top 15-ish rankings at points during the season... but, when push comes to shove, it will ultimately prove that the team is not ready for primetime (meaning a blowout to Clemson and a bowl and some stubbed toe against a team or 2 we could've beaten). Coughlin had that uneven-but-promising, foundation-building first season... followed by the capturing-national-attending-before-fading second season... culminating in a can-beat-anyone-type third season (which, because we are BC still involved 3 losses (Miami in Game 1, effing Northwestern in Game 2 and then WVU where David Green fumbled a chance for a real in Bowl the season finale (after Dave Gordon pre-fetish Kick)).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:12 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:This is going to be a huge season for Hafley.

He has pretty much everyone returning on Offense. If he is as good as we think he is, we should see a massive uptick offensively next year. We should see Jurk playing more consistently great (as opposed to the wildly uneven play of Year 1). We should see the OLine dominate given the talent returning (and the stubbornness associated with keeping the OL coach). They lose Jurk's safety blanket in Long, but return a very strong (for BC) receiving corp. Defensively... well... they are still a work in progress given the lack of talent in key positions. That said, D is his specialty and where the most prominent assistants reside. You'd hope that, with transfers and recruits, and another year of the brain-trust to develop, we could see notable improvement. Combine all of this with a favorable schedule and the likelihood of some sort of normal preseason, I'd be concerned if we don't see a significantly better year.

As I have often said that Hafley has a Coughlin-like feel to his tenure, I would predict that we have some high profile success that involves Top 15-ish rankings at points during the season... but, when push comes to shove, it will ultimately prove that the team is not ready for primetime (meaning a blowout to Clemson and a bowl and some stubbed toe against a team or 2 we could've beaten). Coughlin had that uneven-but-promising, foundation-building first season... followed by the capturing-national-attending-before-fading second season... culminating in a can-beat-anyone-type third season (which, because we are BC still involved 3 losses (Miami in Game 1, effing Northwestern in Game 2 and then WVU where David Green fumbled a chance for a real in Bowl the season finale (after Dave Gordon pre-fetish Kick)).

I'm not sure we want to do a statistical analysis of

• Jurkovec vs Glenn Foley
  • Any one player on this offensive line vs Pete Kendall
  • Anyone on the defense vs Mamula

I don't think the verdict is in yet the Vrabel is as good as Kendall was. A Hunter Long vs Pete Mitchell comparison is (I would say) a reasonable one.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby BC923 on Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:26 pm

Along the lines of what I think. And I can’t wait. Since I wasn’t around in the 40s, a BC team that is good enough to disappoint me when they fuck up is the best that I’ve ever seen. Hafley didn’t get them quite to that level last year, but with the returning talent and schedule there’s no reason that 8 or 9 wins is out of reach.

The “throw game” should be better than any season since 2007 (not saying much) and given the weapons at WR could be better than that. Really fucking important that the line improves because we were ugly to watch when Jurk was banged up. That being said, everyone returns so it shouldn’t get worse, and Trapilo will have had some time on campus to where he might be able to start playing some if guys aren’t performing.

They aren’t losing much on the defensive side and hopefully normal offseason means some of these transfers and freshmen can push for playing time. The coaching on the defensive side of the ball was really impressive given what they had to work with, and again, on paper, the talent should be somewhat better.

The best thing I can say about Hafley is that he’s got a really good idea of how to go about winning here. I think that the recruiting and the coaching reflects that. Whether or not he can ultimately execute is obviously up in the air, but the path he’s taking is the right one imo
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:56 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:

Along the lines of what I think. And I can’t wait. Since I wasn’t around in the 40s, a BC team that is good enough to disappoint me when they fuck up is the best that I’ve ever seen. Hafley didn’t get them quite to that level last year, but with the returning talent and schedule there’s no reason that 8 or 9 wins is out of reach.

The “throw game” should be better than any season since 2007 (not saying much) and given the weapons at WR could be better than that. Really fucking important that the line improves because we were ugly to watch when Jurk was banged up. That being said, everyone returns so it shouldn’t get worse, and Trapilo will have had some time on campus to where he might be able to start playing some if guys aren’t performing.

They aren’t losing much on the defensive side and hopefully normal offseason means some of these transfers and freshmen can push for playing time. The coaching on the defensive side of the ball was really impressive given what they had to work with, and again, on paper, the talent should be somewhat better.

The best thing I can say about Hafley is that he’s got a really good idea of how to go about winning here. I think that the recruiting and the coaching reflects that. Whether or not he can ultimately execute is obviously up in the air, but the path he’s taking is the right one imo

You will know everything you need to know about this team after the Missouri game. My assumption is they will breeze through the first three games without breaking a sweat--Temple is reverting back to its historical norm. Missouri is an interesting team and Eli Drinkwitz is an interesting coach. They went 5-5 against a straight SEC schedule and the reviews on Drinkwitz's performance were very similar to Hafley's first season evaluations in terms of coaching his talent up and working with what he was handed. Like Hafley, he is also young and already on a lot of Baby Rapists radar as someone who is destined for bigger things. In addition, Drinkwitz had an excellent recruiting year with Missouri bringing in their best recruiting class since class rankings became a thing (#20 over all on Rivals).

If we beat Missouri, I think 10-2 is totally possible. We will almost certainly lose in Death Valley, but after that there isn't a game that we can't win--I'd guess that on the road against Louisville we are an underdog, but think we would be at least a slight favorite in every other game as we have VT at home. Let's assume we beat Mizzou and lose on the road at Clemson and Louisville but finish 10-2. I'd take it. We'd probably land a decent bowl game and have a lot of buzz going into year three, assuming HAfley doesn't bail at that point.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:28 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:
If we beat Missouri, I think 10-2 is totally possible. We will almost certainly lose in Death Valley, but after that there isn't a game that we can't win--I'd guess that on the road against Louisville we are an underdog, but think we would be at least a slight favorite in every other game as we have VT at home. Let's assume we beat Mizzou and lose on the road at Clemson and Louisville but finish 10-2. I'd take it. We'd probably land a decent bowl game and have a lot of buzz going into year three, assuming HAfley doesn't bail at that point.

I wonder if the wheels are about to come off the bus with Louisville. Scatter field has been trying like hell to get out of there and I can’t figure out why unless he knows the shine is going to come off soon.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:48 am

BC923 {l Wrote}:
Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:

I wonder if the wheels are about to come off the bus with Louisville. Scatter field has been trying like hell to get out of there and I can’t figure out why unless he knows the shine is going to come off soon.

Amazing we miss ND, UNC & Miami. But after them, NC State seems to be stronger than Louisville. It does seem like things are going wrong BTS at Louisville.

Otherwise, Missouri will be a big indicator. I still think we're capped at 10-2 because I think they'll drop another one somewhere due to limited margin of error. I really, really hope I'm wrong.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:33 pm

I still maintain Hafley doesn't leave until he beats Clemson. He's come close twice and I think it's the chip on his shoulder ala TC and Notre Dame. I think we realistically have him for 4-5 years before he jumps somewhere else.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:58 pm

Hafley confirms that Chibuezze is back, Bequette is not
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:18 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Hafley confirms that Chibuezze is back, Bequette is not

How about Barlow, Rayem and Carlson?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:32 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:Hafley confirms that Chibuezze is back, Bequette is not

How about Barlow, Rayem and Carlson?

He said pretty much everyone is back on D except for Richardson, McDuffie, Bequette and then said Hunter is the big one on offense. Then proceeded to mention several players by name including Chibuezze, all of the OL, etc.

he didn’t mention the three you mentioned but I wouldn’t take it to mean they are not back.

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:44 pm

also an interview w tgosb

Last edited by claver2010 on Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

PreviousNext