2021 BC Football

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2021 BC Football

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon May 17, 2021 4:06 pm

"...He applied for the summer and was accepted and indicated he planned to enroll." Additionally, an ex BC Olineman on the FB staff is trying to get him registered.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue May 18, 2021 11:27 am

Colgate coach is stepping down:

https://www.syracuse.com/sports/2021/05 ... olicy.html

Colgate football coach Dan Hunt has resigned after eight seasons running the team.

In a press release, the school said Hunt stepped down to “address personal issues, following the discovery of violation of university policy not involving students.”

“I appreciate Dan’s years of work recruiting and developing excellent student-athletes for the Colgate Football Program, and am proud of the academic and athletic successes achieved under his leadership,” athletics director Nicki Moore said in a statement.

Hunt, who has worked on the staff since 1995, did not return a message seeking comment. He was 40-33 as head coach for the Raiders, including 0-2 in an abbreviated 2021 spring season.

Stan Dakosty, who has worked as associate head coach since 2017 and first joined the football staff in 2007, will be interim head coach for the 2021 season.

The Raiders open Sept. 4 at Boston College.

Colgate’s 2020 football season was postponed to this spring because of the coronavirus pandemic. The team went 0-2 and had its third and final game against Holy Cross canceled because of a positive test within the Raiders program.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue May 18, 2021 12:20 pm

i wonder if the violations were signing things with the first name "mike" and then giggling...
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue May 18, 2021 1:31 pm

i grant you 3 qorporal funishments

ImageImageImage
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue May 18, 2021 1:39 pm

i didn't mention bannon at all. that more deserves 3 galloping ghosts than 3 funishmens
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Tue May 18, 2021 8:55 pm

You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue May 18, 2021 9:53 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:https://twitter.com/trae_barry3/status/1394831756004573196

That's a great signing
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed May 19, 2021 7:35 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:https://twitter.com/trae_barry3/status/1394831756004573196

That's a great signing

1 year of eligibility?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Wed May 19, 2021 8:27 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

That's a great signing

1 year of eligibility?

Yes
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu May 20, 2021 4:27 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Might as well get this started

Jake Byczko, DE out of umass (went to lawrence academy), transferred in. believe he has 1 year left. 3 year starter

Probably a PWO, if he is actually joining the team.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu May 27, 2021 2:40 pm

Colgate 12:00
VTech 7:30.

I was actually hoping to go to the Colgate game even though it is Labor Day weekend. Interesting that we did not have one nooner last season when nobody could go to the games.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri May 28, 2021 6:09 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Colgate 12:00
VTech 7:30.

I was actually hoping to go to the Colgate game even though it is Labor Day weekend. Interesting that we did not have one nooner last season when nobody could go to the games.

And last year the home game weather was perfect for football nearly every game.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:26 pm

Athlon and Lindy hit the shelves this week. One of them:

• rated BC's offensive line the #1 line in the ACC
  • rated BC's offensive line the #2 line in ALL of college football (behind only Ohio State) and yet
  • rated BC to finish 5th out of 7 teams in the ACC Atlantic division
  • so the #2 offensive line in the country with the 14th rated QB in the country, and BC still sucks

The other:

• had BC's offensive line maybe top 25 in the country
  • rated BC's offensive line just 4th best in the ACC and yet
  • rated BC to finish 3rd out of 7 teams in the ACC Atlantic

both publications listed BC with 9 returning starters. And yet their overall season performance, very different. These magazine publications, sometimes they make no sense.

Now putting all that aside, the 2021 team, okay, I could see that offensive line being the best offensive line that BC has ever had, EVER, in the entire history of BC football. Yes that is possible. And that would be saying something. That have 2 (possibly 3) legitimate 1st round draft picks in that line, just not all this year. The only sucky thing is, who is the starting tailback?

If I am Cignetti, I am running a spread offense this year. Fuck it. This awesome offensive line? Great. All they have to do is give Jurkovec forever in the pocket to throw the ball and hell with it, just throw on every down. If there is no one to run the ball, then don't even try.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:46 pm

Think they’ll score plenty of points, but the defense remains problematic.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:27 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Think they’ll score plenty of points, but the defense remains problematic.

Coaching is a big question mark, too.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:24 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Think they’ll score plenty of points, but the defense remains problematic.

A good offense is the best defense. The offense needs to stay on the field for as much time as possible (the do that the defense will be fine) and they need to cut down on the penalties. Problem is, staying on the field with what appears to me a pure passing offense this year, I don't know how Cignetti will pull that rabbit out of the hat.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:36 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:

A good offense is the best defense. The offense needs to stay on the field for as much time as possible (the do that the defense will be fine) and they need to cut down on the penalties. Problem is, staying on the field with what appears to me a pure passing offense this year, I don't know how Cignetti will pull that rabbit out of the hat.

We saw last year how they'll approach this season. As they bring in talent, we'll see in a couple of years how they really want to play long-term. For now the defense is fairly weak overall, but significantly stronger in the secondary. Like last year, playing five DBs (or 4 plus a hybrid) will invite teams to run. So we want to figure out how to get offenses to target the secondary rather than run over us.

The way to complement this defense best won't be for the offense to stay on the field a ton of time, but rather to score quickly and put the opposition in a hole. They'll look a lot like the old Air Coryell Chargers. They'll throw a ton to jump ahead, and hope a defense knowing the opponent will pass can hold up enough to win.

They'll run effectively on a YPC basis, but only as a change of pace. Unlike say Coughlin's 1993 BC team, I don't think they're talented enough yet to be strong both running and throwing. So I think they'll focus on the passing game to make it as dynamic as possible, and to build good habits to reduce turnovers there. Given that focus, even with this offensive line they're limited in how much they can develop the running game. Hence a limited set of reliable running plays that a stable of essentially third-down backs can run to complement well a passing offense. Draws, counters, jet sweeps, RPOs, etc.

They'll keep throwing throughout the game, albeit perhaps a little more conservatively if they're trying to drain the clock. By jumping ahead, they'll speed up the game for the opponent and push them towards throwing to keep up. That funnels the opposing offense to target the secondary, which again is our relative strength on defense. Meanwhile our DL and LBs focus on the pass and adjust to the run. Doing so will improve the pass rush, again helping the secondary cover.

You'll recall Air Coryell's Chargers were quite successful with this approach. It burned out in the playoffs as they faced really good teams, but it maximized their talent's impact and gave them the best chance to win. They were better-positioned to capitalize on an opponent's mistakes as the other team would lose chances to outscore them. They always had the ability to come back if they did fall behind, to win a shootout. They had a puncher's chance against anyone. And if it hadn't been -10 degrees one Sunday in Cincinnati, they might even have won a Super Bowl.

This is not as reliable a way to play year-to-year or even game-to-game as say the Coughlin approach was. But until the Hafley recruits fully make their way through the roster, this gives the best chance to win this year. Next year will be quite the rebuilding year with so many leaving on offense (including Jurkovec presumably), but they can rebound to contend for the ACC again probably in 2023 or (more likely) 2024.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:57 pm

OCs_Inner_Eagle {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:

We saw last year how they'll approach this season. As they bring in talent, we'll see in a couple of years how they really want to play long-term. For now the defense is fairly weak overall, but significantly stronger in the secondary. Like last year, playing five DBs (or 4 plus a hybrid) will invite teams to run. So we want to figure out how to get offenses to target the secondary rather than run over us.

The way to complement this defense best won't be for the offense to stay on the field a ton of time, but rather to score quickly and put the opposition in a hole. They'll look a lot like the old Air Coryell Chargers. They'll throw a ton to jump ahead, and hope a defense knowing the opponent will pass can hold up enough to win.

They'll run effectively on a YPC basis, but only as a change of pace. Unlike say Coughlin's 1993 BC team, I don't think they're talented enough yet to be strong both running and throwing. So I think they'll focus on the passing game to make it as dynamic as possible, and to build good habits to reduce turnovers there. Given that focus, even with this offensive line they're limited in how much they can develop the running game. Hence a limited set of reliable running plays that a stable of essentially third-down backs can run to complement well a passing offense. Draws, counters, jet sweeps, RPOs, etc.

They'll keep throwing throughout the game, albeit perhaps a little more conservatively if they're trying to drain the clock. By jumping ahead, they'll speed up the game for the opponent and push them towards throwing to keep up. That funnels the opposing offense to target the secondary, which again is our relative strength on defense. Meanwhile our DL and LBs focus on the pass and adjust to the run. Doing so will improve the pass rush, again helping the secondary cover.

You'll recall Air Coryell's Chargers were quite successful with this approach. It burned out in the playoffs as they faced really good teams, but it maximized their talent's impact and gave them the best chance to win. They were better-positioned to capitalize on an opponent's mistakes as the other team would lose chances to outscore them. They always had the ability to come back if they did fall behind, to win a shootout. They had a puncher's chance against anyone. And if it hadn't been -10 degrees one Sunday in Cincinnati, they might even have won a Super Bowl.

This is not as reliable a way to play year-to-year or even game-to-game as say the Coughlin approach was. But until the Hafley recruits fully make their way through the roster, this gives the best chance to win this year. Next year will be quite the rebuilding year with so many leaving on offense (including Jurkovec presumably), but they can rebound to contend for the ACC again probably in 2023 or (more likely) 2024.

Last season was not that important for Hafley. He gets a pass. It was the hardest schedule BC has had since 1995.

This season, much is expected of Hafley. Why?

• This is (probably) the best offensive line BC has had since 2014. And it may be the best offensive line since 1993
  • Jurkovec is not Matt Ryan but he is better than Chase Rettig ever was. If Ryan was the best QB, Flutie was number two, and Foley was number three, then Jurkovec may be number 4 (ahead of all the Hasslebacks)
  • Jurkovec has the veteran wide receivers
  • The defense may have no talent, but it is very deep and veteran and best of all
  • The schedule is wayyyyy pussy. There are only two teams on it with winning records last year

Much is expected. Much should be expected.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:00 pm

You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:49 pm

Any official word on whether or not tailgating will be permitted this season?

I shouldn't have to ask this ridiculous question, but it's BC we're talking about.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:59 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Any official word on whether or not tailgating will be permitted this season?

I shouldn't have to ask this ridiculous question, but it's BC we're talking about.

Great point. The only saving grace is that the Jesuits would want to get their hands on your money.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:33 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Any official word on whether or not tailgating will be permitted this season?

That is the plan.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle33 on Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:20 am

eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:16 pm

fair given it's bc but yes tailgating in the fall
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:54 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

I will be pouring one out.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:52 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

I cant believe the Umass game is at UMass, what does it seat 17k?
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:57 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

I cant believe the Umass game is at UMass, what does it seat 17k?

Does it matter? There were like 8k people at the game at Gillette
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:10 pm

30k and that was with Daz as coach. It would be awesome to see BC play at a sold out Gillette under Hafley

Go Eagles!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:07 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:30k and that was with Daz as coach. It would be awesome to see BC play at a sold out Gillette under Hafley

Go Eagles!

If you think 30k were at that game, you were not there.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby plcatalano on Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:01 am

Hi, does anyone have an idea of the depth chart of the OL? Is Zion def going to be the LT again? Thanks.
plcatalano
n00b

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium