2021 BC Football

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2021 BC Football

Postby hansen on Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:40 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:hopefully we can get to 6-6 and qualify for a bowl (hip-hip-HOORAY, hip-hip-HOORAY, hip-hip-HOORAY)

first year we win 8 games since 2009. MARK IT DOWN IN PEN
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:44 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:They'll be fine against Temple with Grosel back there, but the rest of the games (even Cuse/GT/FSU) will be tough. Not going to beat even average teams with his Ryan Fitzpatrick impressions.

Yes, it was awful when the one time he got a chance to start he delivered the most prolific QB performance in almost 40 years.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:50 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:They'll be fine against Temple with Grosel back there, but the rest of the games (even Cuse/GT/FSU) will be tough. Not going to beat even average teams with his Ryan Fitzpatrick impressions.

Yes, it was awful when the one time he got a chance to start he delivered the most prolific QB performance in almost 40 years.

"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:53 pm

Yes, but to paraphrase an asshole, “we still lost, didn’t we?” For all of the yards he put up there were also three picks. I wish him the best and hope he surprises everyone who I don’t have blocked. I just don’t think it’s very likely we’ll win more than 6 games now.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:18 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Jurk had surgery on his right hand/wrist today.

pissah

https://www.si.com/college/bostoncollege/football/phil-jurkovec-injury-update-monday
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:50 pm

Boumerhi out for the season, Jurkovec to possibly miss the entire season after surgery
https://bceagles.com/news/2021/9/13/bos ... dates.aspx

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:01 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:Yes, but to paraphrase an asshole, “we still lost, didn’t we?” For all of the yards he put up there were also three picks. I wish him the best and hope he surprises everyone who I don’t have blocked. I just don’t think it’s very likely we’ll win more than 6 games now.

I think it’s funny people romanticize that UVA game. BC lost and Grosel committed a bunch of crippling TOs.

Grosel is a good backup QB, but like any football team when your backup needs to start 80% of the season it won’t go well.

The defense is also really young and right now just flat out stinks. It’ll improve as the year goes on but UMass just dropped 28 on them.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:22 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:Yes, but to paraphrase an asshole, “we still lost, didn’t we?” For all of the yards he put up there were also three picks. I wish him the best and hope he surprises everyone who I don’t have blocked. I just don’t think it’s very likely we’ll win more than 6 games now.

I think it’s funny people romanticize that UVA game. BC lost and Grosel committed a bunch of crippling TOs.

Grosel is a good backup QB, but like any football team when your backup needs to start 80% of the season it won’t go well.

The defense is also really young and right now just flat out stinks. It’ll improve as the year goes on but UMass just dropped 28 on them.

okay so another season, 6-6.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:38 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

okay so another season, 6-6.

6-6 feels right to me. Temple, Cuse, GT and VT on a Friday Night. The ACC is historically bad though so who knows.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:30 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I can’t defend their second half performance, but the D really gave up 21. A one yard TD drive isn’t exactly their fault
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:42 pm

This is a hell of an odd year streak with our starting QB suffering a season-ending injury.

2015 - Darius Wade, broken ankle, September
2017 - Anthony Brown, knee, November
2019 - Anthony Brown, knee, October
2021 - Jurk, hand, September
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:42 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I can’t defend their second half performance, but the D really gave up 21. A one yard TD drive isn’t exactly their fault

UMass scored 12 points in the entirety of last season.

Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:07 pm

EagleNYC {l Wrote}:This is a hell of an odd year streak with our starting QB suffering a season-ending injury.

Jesus. We cannot catch a break.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:48 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:This is a hell of an odd year streak with our starting QB suffering a season-ending injury.

Jesus. We cannot catch a break.

unless it’s an ankle hand or knee
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:45 am

Hansen and I might have rose-colored glasses, but I'm closer to his perspective on things. Please forgive the long set of thoughts--ignore/block if you prefer. Your choice.

Losing Jurkovec greatly reduces BC's margin of error, but doesn't eliminate it. Jurkovec's ability to make every throw, his increased understanding of when and where to throw, and us now having receivers who can actually get to those desired spots, winds up stretching the field. We can hit the defense anywhere, at any depth. That puts much more pressure on them than is usually the case with a college offense.

Like most college quarterbacks, Grosel just can't make the range of throws, at the right time, that Jurkovec can. Without Jurkovec the defense can load the box and crowd defenders from short to intermediate middle.They can bet Grosel won't complete a deep sideline out nor a long pass without the receiver being much, much more open than Jurkovec needs. It will be much tougher to open holes for the backs, and they'll face more consistent pressure on the QB. Our rate and efficiency in scoring will drop just as we end up putting more of the load on our own weaker defense.

With Jurkovec BC could play for shootouts. They could score so much and so quickly, they could force the opponent to abandon the run to keep up. Yes, BC was burned in the UMass game as they played vanilla on defense (to avoid putting complex schemes on film). Going forward without Jurkovec, they'll never get THAT far ahead such that the opponent will be forced to abandon the run. Opponents' offenses will thus be even tougher to defend, as they can exploit weaknesses in the front 6/7 again and again.

We'll keep winning if our offense is really efficient in the red zone, if the offense can consistently slog out drive after drive to score or give the opponent bad field position, and if the coaches can scheme around the defense's flaws. That will get increasingly more difficult as the coaches pull out their more complex wrinkles, and future opponents see those on film.

Under Grosel, we'll now see much more of an effort to burn clock than would have been the case with Jurkovec. We want the defense on the field as little as possible not just to keep them fresh, but to reduce the number of tricks we have to show each week to get a stop.

They should still beat Temple, hopefully without showing too much. I think they'll beat Missouri, who has its own issues defensively, so long as they take care of the ball. But the coaches will have to start digging into the bag of tricks sooner. I think the big decision point will be the Clemson game if they go into it 4-0. Do they pull out the stops to beat Clemson, which has a terrific defense again but a weaker O-line no longer serving Lawrence and Etienne? Do they trust the officials would call a fair game when the ACC has so much to gain protecting Clemson? All to maybe improve their chance of winning from 10% to maybe 25 or 30%?

Or is it better to keep some of the "scheme" powder dry for the rest of the schedule? I think much depends on Jurkovec's timetable. Week 8 (really 7.5) of Jurkovec's recovery will be VT; Week 9 is @GT, Week 10 is FSU & Week 11 is Wake. #12 of course would be the ACCCG.

If Jurkovec really could come back in that time frame, BC should empty the bag of tricks to beat Clemson. That would get us to 5-0, with two weeks to prep for NC State and the tiebreaker over Clemson. Then we can hope to survive Louisville and Syracuse over Weeks 6 & 7 of the recovery. If Jurkovec can really come back we should bring him back to raise the ceiling for the championship.

If Jurkovec is a non-starter, or we lose before Clemson, then we should save the tricks to beat teams later in the schedule. If BC loses to either Temple or Missouri, we'll need them to get each win we can.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:17 pm

Hafley confirms Phil had a fracture in his hand

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:33 pm

Anyone know a prop bet site where I can bet on Grosel to win ACC offensive player of the year?

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:40 pm

i would think turbo would gladly take that bet. what sort of odds are you expecting? 1-5 (-500), 1-10 (-1,000), 1-100 (-10,000)?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:41 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Hafley confirms Phil had a fracture in his hand

1. That is better than a wrist injury, I think
B. Did he say when or how it happened?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:51 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:Hafley confirms Phil had a fracture in his hand

1. That is better than a wrist injury, I think
B. Did he say when or how it happened?

He did not say anything more than the operation went well.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:30 am

OCs_Inner_Eagle {l Wrote}:Hansen and I might have rose-colored glasses, but I'm closer to his perspective on things. Please forgive the long set of thoughts--ignore/block if you prefer. Your choice.

Losing Jurkovec greatly reduces BC's margin of error, but doesn't eliminate it. Jurkovec's ability to make every throw, his increased understanding of when and where to throw, and us now having receivers who can actually get to those desired spots, winds up stretching the field. We can hit the defense anywhere, at any depth. That puts much more pressure on them than is usually the case with a college offense.

Like most college quarterbacks, Grosel just can't make the range of throws, at the right time, that Jurkovec can. Without Jurkovec the defense can load the box and crowd defenders from short to intermediate middle.They can bet Grosel won't complete a deep sideline out nor a long pass without the receiver being much, much more open than Jurkovec needs. It will be much tougher to open holes for the backs, and they'll face more consistent pressure on the QB. Our rate and efficiency in scoring will drop just as we end up putting more of the load on our own weaker defense.

With Jurkovec BC could play for shootouts. They could score so much and so quickly, they could force the opponent to abandon the run to keep up. Yes, BC was burned in the UMass game as they played vanilla on defense (to avoid putting complex schemes on film). Going forward without Jurkovec, they'll never get THAT far ahead such that the opponent will be forced to abandon the run. Opponents' offenses will thus be even tougher to defend, as they can exploit weaknesses in the front 6/7 again and again.

We'll keep winning if our offense is really efficient in the red zone, if the offense can consistently slog out drive after drive to score or give the opponent bad field position, and if the coaches can scheme around the defense's flaws. That will get increasingly more difficult as the coaches pull out their more complex wrinkles, and future opponents see those on film.

Under Grosel, we'll now see much more of an effort to burn clock than would have been the case with Jurkovec. We want the defense on the field as little as possible not just to keep them fresh, but to reduce the number of tricks we have to show each week to get a stop.

They should still beat Temple, hopefully without showing too much. I think they'll beat Missouri, who has its own issues defensively, so long as they take care of the ball. But the coaches will have to start digging into the bag of tricks sooner. I think the big decision point will be the Clemson game if they go into it 4-0. Do they pull out the stops to beat Clemson, which has a terrific defense again but a weaker O-line no longer serving Lawrence and Etienne? Do they trust the officials would call a fair game when the ACC has so much to gain protecting Clemson? All to maybe improve their chance of winning from 10% to maybe 25 or 30%?

Or is it better to keep some of the "scheme" powder dry for the rest of the schedule? I think much depends on Jurkovec's timetable. Week 8 (really 7.5) of Jurkovec's recovery will be VT; Week 9 is @GT, Week 10 is FSU & Week 11 is Wake. #12 of course would be the ACCCG.

If Jurkovec really could come back in that time frame, BC should empty the bag of tricks to beat Clemson. That would get us to 5-0, with two weeks to prep for NC State and the tiebreaker over Clemson. Then we can hope to survive Louisville and Syracuse over Weeks 6 & 7 of the recovery. If Jurkovec can really come back we should bring him back to raise the ceiling for the championship.

If Jurkovec is a non-starter, or we lose before Clemson, then we should save the tricks to beat teams later in the schedule. If BC loses to either Temple or Missouri, we'll need them to get each win we can.

this is all good analysis - and i don't even like sports...

but, the wrinkle to your strategy doesn't take into account that clemson is the red-shirt declaration game and that shortly after the final gun vs. mizzou, hafly has to nail the list of red-shirts to the door of yawkey. jurk's injury is sure going to make that list more difficult and i see quite the sizable bonfire of burning redshirts extending to the heavens after the mizzou game. hopefully the smoke is white, indicating a new season is upon us
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Los on Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:39 pm

Grosel is not your typical backup QB. He has a ton of starts under his belt and is essentially a 2nd year starter in the ACC. I’m optimistic he’ll be more serviceable than most expect. If anything, he’ll be fun to watch. He can sling it and runs with abandon.

This was never going to be THE year anyway. Next year is the year the defense catches up. You’re telling me I get Jurk for one more year to run the offense with this receiving corps? Sign me up.
- Los
Los
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:24 am

by and large i agree, the D is more of a concern than grosel.

but not to pull a shinskie to the nfl but no injuries zay + jurk were probably gone. this delays jurk, probably not zay
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:58 am

If everyone that is eligible to return does so, then yes, 2022 would be better than 2021. But it was expected that guys like Flowers, Jurk, Lindstrom, JL-W and maybe some others wouldn't, in which case, 2022 would be far worse. Of course all of this is out the window with Jurk's injury.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:12 am

Jurk wasn't gone unless he lit it up and they won 9+ games. Flowers maybe. He could be Tavon Austin.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:32 pm

Jurk's injury is such a nut shot as the ACC is historically bad this year. After watching Clempson get lucky to beat GTeach, I think Missouri *may be the the best teem on our schedule.

*Giant FU to the iodate AD that scheduled this game.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:19 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Jurk's injury is such a nut shot as the ACC is historically bad this year. After watching Clempson get lucky to beat GTeach, I think Missouri *may be the the best teem on our schedule.

Did you butt chug gin with the other dudes?
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:11 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Jurk's injury is such a nut shot as the ACC is historically bad this year. After watching Clempson get lucky to beat GTeach, I think Missouri *may be the the best teem on our schedule.

It’s really this (including scheduling Mizzou).

And to be so fragile that he’s hurt bracing his fall while tripping over his own feet. Last year, he hurt his shoulder against Clemson and was limited until he hurt his knee and was ruled out for the season. You can’t have any confidence that he’s going to make it through next season either. His fragility is going weigh on any draft status he thinks he has.

Any update on ND’s Jurk Watch?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:18 pm

The Jurk Watch was very much a thing before he got hurt, especially in the 2nd half of the FSU game. I imagine it would have been at a frothy pitch during Toledo, but he was hurt and most aren't as obsessed with him as you and Funishment appear to be. Anyway, you got your wish, it's Grossel's team now. I couldn't be more excited for some solid Ivy League level QB-ing.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:39 pm

What’s the story with the Mizzou game scheduling and why it shouldn’t exist?
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium